PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Points Card Not Activated

[Waggly Bean]
06-11-2010, 09:31 PM
OK, so my question is how does this actually work where a retailer has to activate a Microsoft Points card?

I read about it ages ago, but I've only ever heard of it happening in the US where the card needs activation. To prove me wrong, I bought a 4200 Microsoft Points card off eBay just the other day, and when I tried to redeem it just now, the error said:

"This card wasn't activated by the retailer. Contact the store and have them activate the card".

Obviously I bought it from eBay so I don't know which retailer sold it. I've messaged the eBay seller (who is reputable by the way) so he should be quite helpful, but I'm wondering if I have other options in the meantime - will Microsoft be able to do anything if I ring them or will they just fob me off as it's from eBay? I do have the card and not just the redemption code, so I have all the printed info on the card other than the redemption info, could that be of use if I rang MS?

Anybody experienced this error message before and know of anything that can be done other than trying to get the seller to sort it?

Thanks! ;)

Shinobi273
06-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Well give the code to the person who sold it to you. If they try to redeem it, it will give that message. If you had used it, it would give an error "this code has already been used"

[Waggly Bean]
06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Well give the code to the person who sold it to you. If they try to redeem it, it will give that message. If you had used it, it would give an error "this code has already been used"

Oh I know that, I was just wondering if there was anything worth trying until they got back to me. :)

GhOsT SLaYeR
06-11-2010, 10:57 PM
well if not activated you can't use, either call microsoft or get person you bought off to give money back because 1 of two things happened...

retailer who sold it to him forgot to scan it / activate it
or probably what happened..
He stole it...

Jethrow
06-11-2010, 11:45 PM
i think your pretty much outta luck. i hold onto my reciept when i buy those until i activate the code, just in case of some mistake.

If you go in with a card asking if they could activate it, how would they know you didn't just grab one off the shelf?

siamese snake
06-12-2010, 01:36 AM
If you go in with a card asking if they could activate it, how would they know you didn't just grab one off the shelf?

Highly doubtful because they usually keeps things like that in a locked cupboard,same as memberships and games.

Contact microsoft and see where you stand with the code.

dakisbac
06-12-2010, 02:36 AM
I'm guessing it was stolen, in which case you're not likely to get the points. My basis for saying that is that I'm assuming you'd only buy points on eBay if they were cheaper than the store, and no one will sell them for less than retail unless they got it free themselves.

PointPlaceWI
06-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Highly doubtful because they usually keeps things like that in a locked cupboard,same as memberships and games.

I can't say I've personally ever seen a points card locked in a case. They're always sitting on a rack in a gigantic pile no matter where I go. I would imagine they do that at most stores for the reason that the cards are worthless without activation so stealing them is pointless.

By the way, I highly doubt anyone would even activate a card at a store without a receipt stealing or not. Companies don't like having to deal with other companies issues.

A ZombieTwinkie
06-12-2010, 04:20 AM

I think the only place their behind a locked counter/cabinet is Gamestop. Wal Mart, Target and Blockbuster for instance all have them on a shelf in the open.

Rebirth x360a
06-12-2010, 04:23 AM
I can't say I've personally ever seen a points card locked in a case. They're always sitting on a rack in a gigantic pile no matter where I go. I would imagine they do that at most stores for the reason that the cards are worthless without activation so stealing them is pointless.

By the way, I highly doubt anyone would even activate a card at a store without a receipt stealing or not. Companies don't like having to deal with other companies issues.
My Wal-Mart does it lol. Anyhow, ring up Microsoft, and after going through their bs, they will automatically use the code for your account. Happened with my friend's code a while back, granted it took like 2 hours before they finally fixed it.

JrdRIOT
06-12-2010, 10:51 AM
My friend in the US told me he bought one of them points cards from Toys R Us, and it wasn't activated, so he took it back and got another, that also wasn't working, so he took it back got a refund and then went to Wal-Mart to get one, that also wasn't working.

He had written all the codes down and a few days later they were all working for some strange reason.

What i'm trying to get across, is that it may be working in a few days, it might not but yeah haha.

[Waggly Bean]
06-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. It turns out the seller was as surprised as I was, and has offered a full refund. Bit of a pain, but not his fault. As I said, it was a reputable seller so it could well just be a store mistake anyway. Either way, I have my money back so it shouldn't be a problem... just have to get some more points elsewhere now. :)

gamerguy69
06-12-2010, 09:04 PM
He had written all the codes down and a few days later they were all working for some strange reason.

What would possess him to keep the codes and check them later to see if they worked -- he already had his refunds. Hopefully he did this thru the Xbox Dashboard where you are given the option of "Redeem Now" or "Cancel".

Hmmmm . . . which did he choose? :confused:

JrdRIOT
06-13-2010, 03:12 PM
What would possess him to keep the codes and check them later to see if they worked -- he already had his refunds. Hopefully he did this thru the Xbox Dashboard where you are given the option of "Redeem Now" or "Cancel".

Hmmmm . . . which did he choose? :confused:

What had happened was the codes were activated but they were delayed, when he got them home he wrote them down just in case they worked in a few days which they did, so he ended up having a load of free Ms points.

[Waggly Bean]
06-13-2010, 04:49 PM
What had happened was the codes were activated but they were delayed, when he got them home he wrote them down just in case they worked in a few days which they did, so he ended up having a load of free Ms points.

You mean he stole a load of Microsoft Points then? :D

JrdRIOT
06-13-2010, 06:14 PM
;3197213']You mean he stole a load of Microsoft Points then? :D
Yeah, pretty much.
I've never heard of the cards having to be activated anyway.