PDA

View Full Version : Pro Mode

Atarii
06-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm sure @ E3 in the upcoming week RB3 will get a lot of coverage. Have many gamers seen the new guitar controller for Pro Mode yet?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/06/rock-band-3-controllers-from-mad-catz-priced-out/1

I understand there needs to be progression in the rhythm based music genre, but I just don't see an ADDITIONAL $150 USD peripheral granting new life to a category that's deeply over-saturated. I don't consider myself hardcore and will certainly not be purchasing this, but I'm intrigued as to how many gamers here @ x360a plan to get this (or consider getting it).

SnakeChips
06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Just reading about the pro mode for Guitar just made me think, "Why bother, just play a real guitar." But then I decided I'll give it a shot til I saw the price on it. $150 just for that guitar!!! So I'm not trying out Pro Mode unless someone I know has it and I cn borrow it cause that's rediculous for an instrument for a video game.

Drums seems like more into what I may play for Pro Mode but I need a third Cymbal. And Keyboard also looks good for me to do in Pro even though I am going to suck at it lol. I can't Keyboard though is only going to be 5 keys(not in Pro Mode). That just seems weird. I just might go right for pro.

lostmotiv
06-13-2010, 05:59 AM
i think the general idea is its supposed to be players first somewhat real guitar. they said they trying to make the game closer to playing a real guitar and it's aimed at teaching you how to play a real guitar kind of a game/interactive tutor on how to play guitar. I will be picking this up, but i'd like the official rock band 3 guitar, not big fan of mad catz.

also for the record i do own a real guitar (which i can't play very well, maybe this will finally teach me something or motivate me to learn).

Firvagor
06-13-2010, 02:50 PM
What a lot of people don't realize is that the instruments are real in the sense that they function as MIDI instruments like any others. I'm sure what people mean is they can't be compared to your average acoustic/electric guitar, for example. It's kind of like the ION electric drum set where they said you can "actually" use it outside the game.
The adapter is really nice for those who happen to already have MIDI keyboards and drums, though.

So really, these prices are reasonable, just not by game standards because people expect everything that's not a super collector's edition or bundle to be double digits in price. The most dedicated/hardcore fans or those wishing to further decrease the gap between Rock Band and real instruments will surely go for them. They're real enough to motivate people to learn an instrument, especially with the notation changes and guitar strings/frets, but people still have the option of using the instruments they've been using without a problem, or turn the Pro option off.

I have and play a full size keyboard, so I'll be getting an adapter. I'm really excited to play it. The only problem with that is I won't feel like lugging it around, but I'm sure a friend or three will have the Rock Band 25-key for me to use. :D
I might get a Pro guitar down the line, but I'm not interested in it right now both because of the price and I'm much more interested in keyboarding.

I despise people who insist that everyone just go and buy a real instrument. It's a game, stuff isn't expected to be real, and not everyone is going to conform to your choices/beliefs. Like many others have referenced, I'm reminded of this:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/rock_band.png

Otaaffe
06-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I am fairly certain I'm going to buy the guitar when it's released barring some terrible review. I liked the way my skills grew playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero but when I tried a real guitar I realised how different it is. I had a little go at learning the guitar but gave up pretty quickly. For me learning through Rock Band seems like the best way to do it and whilst pro mode won't be the same as a real guitar its a step up from a plastic strum bar.

Iconoclast
06-14-2010, 01:41 PM
When I first heard about the addition of a "pro mode", I thought it sounded fantastic...though I was expecting it to be a more difficult version of Expert. When I found out it was to do with the new guitar features, my excitement quickly faded. I think I'll stick to my X-plorer, thank you very much.

UK Dennis
06-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I would have thought that the Rock Band version of this guitar would be cheaper, so i will wait for pricing on that before considering. Overall i think it will be a great addition, as im getting pretty tired of the same old five buttons. I need a challenge :p and if i learn how to play guitar a bit in the process, well that is just a bonus.

mikachu93
06-20-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure how much the Squier is, but I know for a fact that you're not going to find a decent guitar for less than $150, and since the Squier is a real guitar that can work in and out of Rock Band, I'll definitely be picking it up as soon as possible. Two birds with one stone.

EDIT: It seems like a few don't exactly know what the deal with Pro mode is, here and on other forums. Simply put, expert Pro guitar is the actual song. The real deal. If I took the Squier controller, plugged it into an amp (again, it's a real guitar that doubles as a controller), and played the notes the game gave me, I would be playing the song note for note.

UK Dennis
06-20-2010, 07:04 PM
EDIT: It seems like a few don't exactly know what the deal with Pro mode is, here and on other forums. Simply put, expert Pro guitar is the actual song. The real deal. If I took the Squier controller, plugged it into an amp (again, it's a real guitar that doubles as a controller), and played the notes the game gave me, I would be playing the song note for note.

Isn't there like more than 1 difficulty for it as well? Im pretty sure that on a video it said that you choose this mode and it goes from like easy to expert. So it gradually gets harder, and adds more notes and raises the speed of the board (just like the original easy-expert).

TwistedFate
06-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Isn't there like more than 1 difficulty for it as well? Im pretty sure that on a video it said that you choose this mode and it goes from like easy to expert. So it gradually gets harder, and adds more notes and raises the speed of the board (just like the original easy-expert).

Yes, but he specifically said he was talking about "expert Pro mode".

UK Dennis
06-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Yes, but he specifically said he was talking about "expert Pro mode".

Ooh yeah, i have to say, that would be extremely cool to play. I would like to see my mate do Through the Fire and Flames on that :p

LEGO_MAN
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
im digging this pro mode. expert is challenging for me a handful of songs on rock band 2. i have a question though, can you use you own real guitar? it was sweet and be really smart, not to mention save me and some other folks money. I look at it this way. if they make a quitar that can function as a real guitar, shouldn't they be able to have some sort of adapter that allows a real guitar to play on the xbox? makes sense to me. and it just seems smarter because im certain im not the only one who plays (well i barely play) real guitar and rock band.

oh, and this is off-topic but relates to rock band, how do you think they can allow a 5th player to play? the 3 singers sing on one controller and 3 mics, then 1 guitar, 1 bass, and 1 drumer; that is all 4 ports but the screens show the key boarder playing too. so that is a 5th port. does xbox support 5 contollers at once dispite having 4 ring lights?

TwistedFate
07-03-2010, 08:57 PM
im digging this pro mode. expert is challenging for me a handful of songs on rock band 2. i have a question though, can you use you own real guitar? it was sweet and be really smart, not to mention save me and some other folks money. I look at it this way. if they make a quitar that can function as a real guitar, shouldn't they be able to have some sort of adapter that allows a real guitar to play on the xbox? makes sense to me. and it just seems smarter because im certain im not the only one who plays (well i barely play) real guitar and rock band.

No, you cannot. A normal guitar will not have the sensors in the neck needed to tell the game where you have fretted.

oh, and this is off-topic but relates to rock band, how do you think they can allow a 5th player to play? the 3 singers sing on one controller and 3 mics, then 1 guitar, 1 bass, and 1 drumer; that is all 4 ports but the screens show the key boarder playing too. so that is a 5th port. does xbox support 5 contollers at once dispite having 4 ring lights?

More than likely they are using one of the other instruments as the vehicle for the harmonies. i.e. drums, guitar, bass, keyboard+vocals

ChiliD
07-11-2010, 06:01 AM
does anyone know if rock band 2 cymbals will work in pro mode? i could use that money as a freakin down payment on the Fender Mustang

TwistedFate
07-11-2010, 12:51 PM
does anyone know if rock band 2 cymbals will work in pro mode? i could use that money as a freakin down payment on the Fender Mustang

Yes, they will.

tmcmullen08
07-14-2010, 12:43 AM

I was really hoping this was the case. Rock Band actually motivated me to play the real guitar so about a year ago I went out and bought a decent Ibanez for $150, and I don't really want to buy the Rock Band one for another $150. I'm banking on them releasing some sort of adapter, or I'll probably just not buy it.

TwistedFate
07-14-2010, 01:16 AM
I was really hoping this was the case. Rock Band actually motivated me to play the real guitar so about a year ago I went out and bought a decent Ibanez for $150, and I don't really want to buy the Rock Band one for another $150. I'm banking on them releasing some sort of adapter, or I'll probably just not buy it.

Don't get your heart set on a guitar adapter. Unless your guitar has MIDI out, it isn't likely they will ever let you use a real guitar. They have to convert an analog audio signal into a digital electronic signal, which is problematic for stringed instruments. String oxidation and the natural tendency to go out of tune means a constant need to retune the guitar, at the very least every time you play if not right in the middle of long set lists, to keep the pitch played in the proper range to be read. The older your strings, the more adjustments you have to do.

They can do a drum adapter because most electronic drum kits output MIDI, but notice that there isn't an acoustic drum kit adapter.

Now, HMX has a way of doing things they shouldn't be able to, so it's possible they will do it just to prove me wrong yet again. It wouldn't surprise if they somehow manage to do it, but I don't see it happening.

Cardoso
07-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Don't get your heart set on a guitar adapter. Unless your guitar has MIDI out, it isn't likely they will ever let you use a real guitar. They have to convert an analog audio signal into a digital electronic signal, which is problematic for stringed instruments. String oxidation and the natural tendency to go out of tune means a constant need to retune the guitar, at the very least every time you play if not right in the middle of long set lists, to keep the pitch played in the proper range to be read. The older your strings, the more adjustments you have to do.

They can do a drum adapter because most electronic drum kits output MIDI, but notice that there isn't an acoustic drum kit adapter.

Now, HMX has a way of doing things they shouldn't be able to, so it's possible they will do it just to prove me wrong yet again. It wouldn't surprise if they somehow manage to do it, but I don't see it happening.

Like you said, has to have MIDI.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brrTfKSM-qs#t=3m40s)

XxFrAsZeRxX
07-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Just reading about the pro mode for Guitar just made me think, "Why bother, just play a real guitar." But then I decided I'll give it a shot til I saw the price on it. $150 just for that guitar!!! So I'm not trying out Pro Mode unless someone I know has it and I cn borrow it cause that's rediculous for an instrument for a video game.

Drums seems like more into what I may play for Pro Mode but I need a third Cymbal. And Keyboard also looks good for me to do in Pro even though I am going to suck at it lol. I can't Keyboard though is only going to be 5 keys(not in Pro Mode). That just seems weird. I just might go right for pro.

Well, not only does the guitar act as a real midi guitar, but it is also, 50 bucks less than a beginner guitar. Both my beginner guitars were $200. Also, my good guitar was like $800 with over 20% off. So i'd say it's worth it for a guitar that can play Rock Band and play as a real instrument.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the instruments are real in the sense that they function as MIDI instruments like any others. I'm sure what people mean is they can't be compared to your average acoustic/electric guitar, for example. It's kind of like the ION electric drum set where they said you can "actually" use it outside the game.
The adapter is really nice for those who happen to already have MIDI keyboards and drums, though.

So really, these prices are reasonable, just not by game standards because people expect everything that's not a super collector's edition or bundle to be double digits in price. The most dedicated/hardcore fans or those wishing to further decrease the gap between Rock Band and real instruments will surely go for them. They're real enough to motivate people to learn an instrument, especially with the notation changes and guitar strings/frets, but people still have the option of using the instruments they've been using without a problem, or turn the Pro option off.

I have and play a full size keyboard, so I'll be getting an adapter. I'm really excited to play it. The only problem with that is I won't feel like lugging it around, but I'm sure a friend or three will have the Rock Band 25-key for me to use. :D
I might get a Pro guitar down the line, but I'm not interested in it right now both because of the price and I'm much more interested in keyboarding.

I despise people who insist that everyone just go and buy a real instrument. It's a game, stuff isn't expected to be real, and not everyone is going to conform to your choices/beliefs. Like many others have referenced, I'm reminded of this:

I totally agree, I have a midi keyboard so I just have to buy the adapter, so that saves me some money :D
I am fairly certain I'm going to buy the guitar when it's released barring some terrible review. I liked the way my skills grew playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero but when I tried a real guitar I realised how different it is. I had a little go at learning the guitar but gave up pretty quickly. For me learning through Rock Band seems like the best way to do it and whilst pro mode won't be the same as a real guitar its a step up from a plastic strum bar. Yes, it will be a very good learning tool to learn chords, notes songs and maybe even scales.

TwistedFate
07-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Well, not only does the guitar act as a real midi guitar, but it is also, 50 bucks less than a beginner guitar. Both my beginner guitars were $200. Also, my good guitar was like $800 with over 20% off. So i'd say it's worth it for a guitar that can play Rock Band and play as a real instrument.

The Squier has not been priced, but I wouldn't bet on it being less than $200. I'm guessing $250+. The one you are talking about is the Madcatz Pro controller with 17 frets worth of buttons, not a real guitar.

DusanMandic219
08-02-2010, 03:53 AM
guitar only needs 16

frogcrazyant
08-08-2010, 11:04 PM
i am SO pumped Pro Mode. I play on expert and Ive FCed every single song in GH3 other than a few, and im ready to tackle Pro Mode with open arms. I cant wait to go back to easy mode and be a noob. I havent been so excited for a game to come out in a while.

Kellwolf9E
08-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Like you said, has to have MIDI.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brrTfKSM-qs#t=3m40s)

And sensors in the neck. Trust me, I'd love to drop a MIDI pickup into my Ibanez RG550 and rock out on the 360, but just the notes alone won't cut it. According to Harmonix, they had to add sensors into the Squier's neck in order to make the game playable.

SnowSHOWERS
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
And sensors in the neck. Trust me, I'd love to drop a MIDI pickup into my Ibanez RG550 and rock out on the 360, but just the notes alone won't cut it. According to Harmonix, they had to add sensors into the Squier's neck in order to make the game playable.

That is completely correct. I was looking into this because I am a bass player and they mention that this would allow you to play and learn real bass and guitar lines so i looked into MIDI pickups for my warrick thumb only to find that sensor were added to the stratocaster for use in the game. So it won't work

Runny
08-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm buying the fender stratocaster squier..it's a real guitar and I can use it for RB3. win/win. And I'm willing to pony up for the $$...it'll be WELLLLL worth it.