PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Developement

Corrupt.
06-13-2010, 03:02 AM
A friend lent me the box set recently, and having never seen a show before I was a bit apprehensive.

Absolute genius, all the way through!

exo-apollo
06-13-2010, 03:09 AM
Ahh yes too many brilliant moments to count, never-nudes, loose-seal, anything Gob does. Shame they cancel it, while other terrible comedies are given so many seasons (people like simple things though).

Corrupt.
06-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Tobias Funke - Analrapist :eek:

Iconoclast
06-13-2010, 04:41 AM
I've seen a couple episodes of this show, but I really can't say I've enjoyed it. Maybe it's because they were out of sequence and far apart, but I just couldn't get into the humour. I hear from most people that it's good, though.

lordrex217
06-13-2010, 04:45 AM
i loved the episode where Michael gives Tobias the tape recorder to listen to all the stupid things he says, and then you see Tobias trying to explain why they aren't as bad as they sound.

SynysterChris
06-13-2010, 11:23 PM
This is easily one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. I watched all 3 season in 2 days, it's really a shame it got canceled. Only thing I've actually like Micheal Cera in.

The Pants Party
06-13-2010, 11:56 PM
I've seen a couple episodes of this show, but I really can't say I've enjoyed it. Maybe it's because they were out of sequence and far apart, but I just couldn't get into the humour. I hear from most people that it's good, though.

You really should try again in order. The entire brilliance of the show is how much they bring up and rehash old jokes out of nowhere. The cohesion between every character and every element on the show is amazingly well done. Think of it as one continuous story, not a collection of small stories featuring the same characters like most other sitcoms.

Iconoclast
06-14-2010, 12:38 AM
You really should try again in order. The entire brilliance of the show is how much they bring up and rehash old jokes out of nowhere. The cohesion between every character and every element on the show is amazingly well done. Think of it as one continuous story, not a collection of small stories featuring the same characters like most other sitcoms.This seems to be the general consensus of responses when it comes out why I don't like it. Supposedly everything builds on previous episodes and a lot of the main funnies are based on things that've already happened. I just don't know if I'm willing to put myself through the agony of watching another "recommended" show again...the last time I did that I wound up wanting to pick my own eyes out with a fork at the thought of such a show actually documenting "reality". Yeesh.

Burning Karma
06-14-2010, 03:05 AM
Oh man, I used to love AD. Such a brilliant show. I was so sad when it was cancelled.

McGoogles
06-14-2010, 03:14 AM
I've seen every single episode and have enjoyed every minute of it. The writing is just absolutely brilliant.

If you like the show, sign a petition for it to be aired on FOX again, HERE (http://saveourbluths.com/)!

SynysterChris
06-14-2010, 04:13 AM
This seems to be the general consensus of responses when it comes out why I don't like it. Supposedly everything builds on previous episodes and a lot of the main funnies are based on things that've already happened. I just don't know if I'm willing to put myself through the agony of watching another "recommended" show again...the last time I did that I wound up wanting to pick my own eyes out with a fork at the thought of such a show actually documenting "reality". Yeesh.

So what show was it exactly that you were recommended? And what kind of shows do you generally enjoy? Because I don't think this show could be for everyone.

I could especially see some people especially religious people have a big issue with some themes of the show and not liking it because of that.

Iconoclast
06-14-2010, 06:30 AM
So what show was it exactly that you were recommended? And what kind of shows do you generally enjoy? Because I don't think this show could be for everyone.It's a long story that I won't bother going into...but I usually enjoy most TV shows. When it comes to sitcoms, some of my favourites include Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Frasier, Two and a Half Men, and Big Bang Theory.

I could especially see some people especially religious people have a big issue with some themes of the show and not liking it because of that.Nah, I'm about as far away on the scale from being religious as you can get; I don't use this alias for nothing ;)

normalipromise
06-14-2010, 06:34 AM
One of the greatest things about this show is that I cannot pick a favorite character.

If I had a gun to my head, though, I'd probably choose Gob.

SynysterChris
06-14-2010, 07:55 AM
It's a long story that I won't bother going into...but I usually enjoy most TV shows. When it comes to sitcoms, some of my favourites include Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Frasier, Two and a Half Men, and Big Bang Theory.

Nah, I'm about as far away on the scale from being religious as you can get; I don't use this alias for nothing ;)

Judging by the shows listed I'm pretty sure you would enjoy Arrested Development. If you have Netflix they has all 3 seasons in the Instant Que for streaming. So if you find yourself with some free time and want something to watch I suggest looking into watching it. Though you should watch from the beginning.

Mongolian Beef
06-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.

I love this show! I rewatch the entire series from time to time.

The Pants Party
06-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Iconoclast, how could you!? Two and a Half Men but not AD? You're breaking my heart here.

Iconoclast
06-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Iconoclast, how could you!? Two and a Half Men but not AD? You're breaking my heart here.To be fair, Two and a Half Men is more so at the bottom of that list; it's one of those shows that I enjoy watching, but won't go out of my way to watch...if I'm channel surfing and can't find anything else, I'll put it on, but it's not my first pick.

Maybe I'll give it another chance. Sigh, farewell bandwidth.

Corrupt.
06-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Definitely worth a watch. It is virtually unknown here in the UK, never shown on a major network which is a shame.

The Ju1ce
06-21-2010, 04:12 AM
This show was awesome. I watched all three seasons in about a week. I thought the ending to the third season was sort of lame, but I suppose you can't blame them since the show was canceled and the season was shortened significantly.

superbean2010
06-21-2010, 10:09 AM
a friend of mine turned me onto the show as well. i loved it :)
but its another one of those "too smart for america" shows =-/
wtb firefly

Mr Snipey
06-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Amazing show. I recently showed my gf the whole 3 seasons in just a few sittings and she loved it too.

rvlution
06-24-2010, 02:33 PM
AD is the best. "I'm... On tv!"

KSizzle
06-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Fantastic show! I wish it was never canceled. I own the series on dvd but as someone else mentioned they are on Netflix to stream right now. I would highly recommend this show to anyone.

Edit: Just noticed the sig above me. David Cross is amazing in it. I also loved Mr. Show with Bob and David.

DOOKH8R
06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Jason Bateman is comedy gold. Arrested Development is up there with SportsNight and Freaks and Geeks as the best shows to never get a true chance.

Two and Half Men is worse than Dharma and Greg in the Parthenon of worthless comedies stealing spots from good shows

R Rated Love
06-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Easily the best sitcom of the 2000s. Great show.

rvlution
06-27-2010, 08:27 PM
The cast has such chemistry. I seriously thought I hated Will Arnett before this show.

Chico76
07-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm on my 2nd watch-through already in less than a month. I can't believe this show didn't continue to get picked up.

But, hey, I've learned to be skeptical when it comes to shows on Fox. They missed the mark on this and Firefly. And they tried hard to mess up X-Files at one point...

sigmund500
07-08-2010, 05:05 PM
so wish they would bring back that show >.> they brought back futurama on comedy central and... family guy... bring back arrested development! NOW

Corrupt.
07-09-2010, 02:38 AM
It would be so easy to bring back too...

rvlution
07-09-2010, 03:43 AM
It would be so easy to bring back too...

Holding out for the movie, man.

Is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia similar to this? Didn't realize they were on the same network.

Shootercoys
07-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Tobias : [as Mrs. Featherbottom] O-kay, who'd like a banger in the mouth?

Tobias : Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.

Michael: We just call it a sausage.

KSizzle
07-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia similar to this? Didn't realize they were on the same network.

Always Sunny is an awesome show! It is currently one of my favorite shows on television with the Office and Breaking Bad. It is way more "offensive" than any AD episodes, which I think makes it great. I would def recommend checking it out if you haven't seen it. Danny Devito is awesome in it. I can't wait for the new season to start. Basically, it is just about 5 people who own a shitty bar in Philly and get into all sorts of crazy shit. I really like it.

BAMF Sangwich
07-30-2010, 03:41 AM
Just finished the third season, not a bad ending

Funky Bev
07-30-2010, 05:04 AM
OH MY GOD WE'RE HAVING A FIRE....sale.

megamoviejohn
08-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Best Show Ever. Hilarious! I read that bitch Michael Cera is the only reason a movie hasn't been done yet but I'm not sure how much truth is there.

SoleAssassin
08-07-2010, 08:24 PM
... I made a huge mistake.

Loved this show and still do.

OceanH
05-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Arrested Development Season 4 Trailer - Netflix - [HD] - YouTube

hydrosugar
05-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Arrested Development Season 4 Trailer - Netflix - [HD] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzVhPCMAxWQ)

So hype for this. I was late to the party and marathoned all 3 seasons, easily one of the best comedies I have ever seen.

Corrupt.
05-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Wow. Awesome news. I may have to get netflix just for this!

Jack Frost
05-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Michael: "Mom, do you remember that conversation we had about you not using the company as your personal piggy bank?"

Lucille: "Of course, dear. Like it was yesterday."

Michael: "It was this morning."

Drewdude1023
05-27-2013, 02:19 AM
I'm watching the Fourth Season on Netflix and it's hilarious!! Different that the first three seasons, but I still love it!! Loving the Entourage references in the Gob episode

WalterWhite
05-27-2013, 03:09 AM
I'm watching the Fourth Season on Netflix and it's hilarious!! Different that the first three seasons, but I still love it!! Loving the Entourage references in the GOB episode

The Entourage thing was ingenious. I'm about eight episodes in so far and while I am enjoying it, I don't care for the character-centric format that they went with. I understand it was probably due to scheduling issues with the cast but, I don't think the new episodes are going to have the insane replay value that the other seasons have.

Drewdude1023
05-27-2013, 03:34 AM
Agreed, it's not as good as Seasons 1-3, but its still hilarious and better IMO than most of the other shows that are coming out these days.

WalterWhite
05-27-2013, 03:44 AM
Agreed, it's not as good as Seasons 1-3, but its still hilarious and better IMO than most of the other shows that are coming out these days.

Oh absolutely. I also think I overloaded on powering through the new episodes today. And who knows, by the end it might tie up so well that my first impressions are off a bit. There are still a ton of great jokes, I just feel like I've seen an episode or two that I wouldn't necessarily want to watch again and I never thought that about the previous seasons.