PDA

View Full Version : Should I be reading the manuscripts as I pick them up?

Rednacht
06-15-2010, 03:22 AM
'cause some of them seem like they're revealing what happens in in the game before I actually get to said part like the "TV in the gas station" page when it talks about alan entering the gas station garage and finding the place trashed (despite the fact that i'm still treking to the gas station right now).

Langeboy
06-15-2010, 03:31 AM
I would say for the normal pages, your going to give away whats coming up 8 times out of 10.. I'd suggest reading the nightmares pages though, those ones are a bit different and interesting.

MEMANIAsama
06-15-2010, 03:45 AM
I would say for the normal pages, your going to give away whats coming up 8 times out of 10.. I'd suggest reading the nightmares pages though, those ones are a bit different and interesting.

The game is intended that you're supposed to read things before they happen. They don't "spoil" much of anything at all, and at other times clue you in on what is happening to OTHER characters while you're off doing your own thing. So, don't skip reading them, read them as you pick them up. That is their purpose. The character of Alan Wake is reading the pages and knows what's going to happen so you should also be aware of it too. It's the game's method of story telling. They went to enough care NOT to give away major spoilers in the pages.

rsra13
06-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Agree with the above post. You should be reading the pages. It will help you to better understand the game.

Toye
06-15-2010, 04:12 AM
I started to read them as I picked them up and then about half way into the game I just stopped reading them and kept playing.

Awesome story though, definitely a great game whether you read the manuscript pages or not.

Rednacht
06-15-2010, 05:46 AM
alright, I'll read them as I get them, just making sure...

Ozbaab
06-15-2010, 08:38 AM
I've read some reviews saying that the pages are minor spoilers. I don't think that wayu tho. I think they are great :) I say, read 'em!

M1keX
06-15-2010, 11:58 AM
*minor spoiler*

Well if you read some of the end ones it says that Thomas Zane is leaving them already when he can to help alan (You see in the dream alan has at the farm that Zane comes in gets alan out and takes the pages on the desk), so your meant to pick them up and read them as this is part of the games story.

Red Eyes Metal
06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
What annoys me is that when you get all of them, there's no "read all" option.

MEMANIAsama
06-18-2010, 05:59 PM
What annoys me is that when you get all of them, there's no "read all" option.

Well, even when you get all of them, you technically don't have the entire story, they're all just random pages and not even in an order.

Nitz13
06-18-2010, 10:14 PM
I read all of the ones I found right away. Sure they may give away a few minor things like enemies going to pop out, but most of the time they never specifically said where. So your left thinking when the hell is this bloody bastard going to jump out.

Pearson
06-20-2010, 12:38 AM
The game is intended that you're supposed to read things before they happen. They don't "spoil" much of anything at all, and at other times clue you in on what is happening to OTHER characters while you're off doing your own thing. So, don't skip reading them, read them as you pick them up. That is their purpose. The character of Alan Wake is reading the pages and knows what's going to happen so you should also be aware of it too. It's the game's method of story telling. They went to enough care NOT to give away major spoilers in the pages.

:whs I couldn't have said it any better myself, but basically that is what they're in the game for, to let you know what is going to happen before they happen.

ZACK GSF
06-24-2010, 03:35 AM
It adds amazing depth to the game, and I also am going back and reading them all in order now that I collected all of them.

Ali_P_84
06-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Instead of the pages spoiling the game for me I found that some of them actuially made it a little more scary in places. For example, when you read that there is a Taken with a chainsaw in the forest bursting through a gate it made me far more anxious about finiding it than if I knew nothing about it.

the iceman6669
06-24-2010, 10:47 PM
the manuscript can give you a lil bit of a heads up on whats coming up and how ready you should be, some have a lil spoiler, while others just give a bit of back story to whats going on... in the end your choice, personally I like a lil bit of a heads up if im low on ammo.

Ali_P_84
06-25-2010, 09:47 AM
I suppose it's a way of making it a psychological thriller rather than a survival horror game with shock moments.

tobiasdennis
06-26-2010, 04:13 PM
i can't imagine NOT reading the pages they are a major part of the story.

...while you're at it, skip all the cut scenes and keep your sound off the entire game.