PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Eli

Iconoclast
06-17-2010, 01:48 AM
I just watched this movie tonight for the first time, and I must say, I was skeptical at first, but it actually turned out to be a good movie (in my opinion). Which I also find odd, since usually I'm way too critical of movies like this. The action was great, and most importantly, the story actually made sense. And a fantastic twist at the end! What are your thoughts?

Louis BCFC1875
06-17-2010, 01:54 AM
I have just about five minutes ago also finished watching this movie for the first time, i enjoyed the movie, took a while to get going, action scenes were very good and it reminded me of FO3, i agree with the ending also, fact he managed to remember the whole you know what thing was amazing, i wouldn't be surpised if there's a second, what the story would be though i don't know.

MoonSka
06-17-2010, 02:06 AM
You might consider editing your post, Louis BCFC1875. You got what some may consider a pretty big spoiler there.

Louis BCFC1875
06-17-2010, 02:14 AM
You might consider editing your post, Louis BCFC1875. You got what some may consider a pretty big spoiler there.Well i'd guess people who have only watched the film would voice there opinions on this thread, so i thought it would be ok to discuss the goings on in the movie.

domn8rdom
06-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Saw this movie in theater and it was great. The ending was the best part. I didnt know the ending but when I found out it made alot of sense looking back on moments of the movie.

Dz06lt
06-17-2010, 02:19 AM
i too saw it in theaters, loved it reminded me so much of Fallout 3

MoonSka
06-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Well i'd guess people who have only watched the film would voice there opinions on this thread, so i thought it would be ok to discuss the goings on in the movie. By that same logic, it's ok to give plot details to a game then too, because only people who've played the game would post in those threads too?;) I'm not trying to be an ass, but that would probably annoy me if I was looking for opinions on whether or not the movie was worth a rent or a blind buy and I read that is all.:)

Chaosx721
06-17-2010, 03:37 AM
Its definitely a good movie, even watching a second time and really paying attention to the "Characters"(You know what I mean) its even more badass. Only thing I'd say is they could of left out Mila kunis, I think shes good but movie would of been the same without her.

KFZ Scrubs
06-17-2010, 03:48 AM
Yea, it was pretty good, i thought it was hilarious though that he used to work at Kmart. I thought with his... ummmmm.... condition, he'd work at walmart or something. But really, i didn't know they thought Kmart employees how to fight and shoot, that's pretty cool.

institutions
06-17-2010, 03:48 AM
Yeah, I saw this a while ago too and really liked it. Great ending.

I was also skeptical at first. I'd rather the main character in a post-apocalyptic story be an average guy, or even a mechanic or small-time scientist. But the badass ultimate fighter that he is was really good.

---Possible Spoilers below (not sure)

I thought the scene where he's leaving the town and they're trying to stop him was pretty comical. He's got some deadly aim with that pistol.

Tussell
06-17-2010, 03:56 AM
I've been wanting to watch this movie, just haven't gotten around to it. Was hoping to catch it in theaters, but didn't. Going to have to catch it on DVD. Think it's worth picking up on Blu-ray?

Iconoclast
06-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Think it's worth picking up on Blu-ray?If you like "post-apocalyptic" type movies, then yes. Even if you don't, I'd still say it's worth it.

tweak4ever
06-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Great film, 3 thumbs up

psychofox
06-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Agree with all the above, very good movie thats worth a watch.
I didnt realise the 'twist' until the end, was a big 'damn thats clever' moment.

Nozza XBA
06-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Well i'd guess people who have only watched the film would voice there opinions on this thread, so i thought it would be ok to discuss the goings on in the movie.

Think again.. thanks!

Came on to see people opnions as I've never watched it but want to and BAM there's you post..

Louis BCFC1875
06-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Think again.. thanks!

Came on to see people opnions as I've never watched it but want to and BAM there's you post.. Well i edited my post at 3:33AM this morning, so if you read it after that, it wouldn't of been ruined. :o

KSizzle
06-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Picked it up the other day on Blu Ray. I went and saw it in the theater when it came out. I really enjoyed this film. I am a big Denzel fan anyway ( his role in Training Day was incredible), so I had to check it out. I agree with a previous poster about the whole fallout feel. The scenery and effects were pretty badass and Gary Oldman always plays a great bad guy. I'd personally recommend it. I thought the ending was very cool.

Jethrow
06-18-2010, 07:56 PM
I was so oblivious when i rented this movie, for some reason i thought it was will smith. Denzel was great in this movie, and gary oldman, well he's one of my favorite actors.

hodge
06-18-2010, 07:59 PM
When I watched it in the cinema I was quite disppointed. I was expecting alot more action than there was. It wasn't a bad film at all though

BWIK
06-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Fallout is one of my favorite games so i really liked Book of Eli.. unfortunately it really slowed down and was a bit disappointing.. still a good movie tho

MelangeAddict
06-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Film was a lot better than I thought it would be. I did not see (no pun intended) that ending coming at all but when I thought about his actions previous I realized the writer/directer/actor/whoever was a genius.

Crimson Son88
06-20-2010, 08:52 AM
saw this movie last night and thought it was great i love movies with a suprise/twist ending

ChaosGod87
06-21-2010, 05:45 PM
---Possible Spoilers below (not sure)

I thought the scene where he's leaving the town and they're trying to stop him was pretty comical. He's got some deadly aim with that pistol.

That was pretty comical. Now that I think about it, kinda reminds me of Splinter Cell: Conviction, the whole mark and execute thing, lol.

PointPlaceWI
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I'd watch it just because Denzel Washington is a good actor and post apocalyptic stuff is pretty cool. One question though. Does Mila Kunis play a serious role in this movie? I have a hard time not fading to sleep watching scenes that involve her trying to be serious.

Code of Conduct
06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
What I thought was great was

***SPOILER ALERT ****

I re-watched the movie (saw it first in theaters) and you can tell he's blind the entire time. Noticed especially him running into things. Also, he kicked the stairs going to the cannibals house to make sure he didn't trip. Really cool how they made it look like he was just being stealthy/clumsy sometimes.

Billy69
06-21-2010, 07:17 PM
I really liked this movie and I also liked the girl that was hanging with Eli:Bounce::Bounce:

Dalagrath
06-21-2010, 07:46 PM
I just got done watching this movie and I enjoyed the entire thing. The length of the movie and plot development was perfectly transitioned and timed. The characters were developed almost flawlessly and had no poor acting what so ever.

This is a religious based movie, but it does not reflect so much on religion, rather it reflects on how religion is used. The scenes were very solidifying and bold, as well as the meaning of the journey. This movie also reminded me of the game Fallout because of the post apocalyptic nature.

In the end, the biggest surprise (please don't ruin the movie if you've seen it) really threw me back. It was probably the best blind side surprise I have ever seen in a movie.

All in all, I give the movie a 9.5/10 total. The only thing lacking (personal opinion) is more combat. To be fair, it has plenty of combat and choreography, but I personally just like tons of fighting in a film. Make sure to buy this movie and watch it.

KSizzle
06-21-2010, 08:15 PM
What I thought was great was

***SPOILER ALERT ****

I re-watched the movie (saw it first in theaters) and you can tell he's blind the entire time. Noticed especially him running into things. Also, he kicked the stairs going to the cannibals house to make sure he didn't trip. Really cool how they made it look like he was just being stealthy/clumsy sometimes.

I was also looking for this on my 2nd viewing (watched it again last night). After the shocking ending, I thought "when I re-watch it, I'll see if he is bumping into things or not"....Made the 2nd viewing pretty interesting. I still think it is a great film.

H0p3sfalL
06-21-2010, 08:17 PM
just thought it was lame that the movie revolves around a bible....... im sure there would be more then 1 laying around somewhere. kick-ass fight scenes through.... very ninja of DW.

tweak4ever
06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
just thought it was lame that the movie revolves around a bible....... im sure there would be more then 1 laying around somewhere. kick-ass fight scenes through.... very ninja of DW.

well, according to the film, most bibles were destroyed at some earlier point in history, possibly during some religious war.

elephantd
06-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Loved it, but wouldnt buy it though. No money for movies sadly.

a blind beggar
06-22-2010, 01:47 PM
i was skeptical at first too watching it because all of the reviews i've read (can't believe i listened to reviews) said the ending was terrible...i thought the ending was fantastic and the action sequences were amazing too.

aheadofme
06-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I love post-apocalyptic stuff. Then I saw The Road (as boring as its title) and Book of Eli. I'm so sick of Denzel being in everything. Not knocking his acting chops, but I enjoy a movie a lot more if they put a somewhat-unknown in the lead role. Book of Eli was predictable, preachy, and tried desperately to make up for how much it sucked at the end. Wanted my money back when I left the theater. 2/10.

DarthSoth
06-22-2010, 05:50 PM
I just watched this movie last night and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Totally had a Fallout vide too it and Mila Kunis looked badass at the end there. I will have to re-watch it again with that little twist about Eli at the end. I blindly bought it on Blu-ray and I am rather happy that I did. That was a good movie.

DarthSoth
06-22-2010, 06:08 PM
well, according to the film, most bibles were destroyed at some earlier point in history, possibly during some religious war.

Actually they destroyed all the bibles after the bombs because they blamed it on religion. They felt that the war and the destruction from the war was because of religion. Which is likely at least in part true. All wars basically boil down to I want what you have or I believe differently than you so I will beat my beliefs into you. An normally just vaying combinations of the two.

I didn't take offence about the religious overtones of the movie because they were pretty much true. Religion is a tool used to keep people in line and/or give them hope enough that keeps the masses from degrading into complete chaos. If something like that happened then the use of religion would be a very powerful tool to help keeping control. And as history has shown us both people of good and evil can and will use it to their advantage.

And just in case anyone was wondering, I am an atheist with the occational moment of agnostic ponderings.

tweak4ever
06-22-2010, 06:50 PM
I really liked this movie and I also liked the girl that was hanging with Eli:Bounce::Bounce:

Mila Kunis

Sambuca Queen
06-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Watched it last night and I love it. Reminds me of Fallout 3, the way its set with exchanging items for other things and survival, etc. Denzel Washington is brilliant as Eli and Gary Oldman is brill as a villian as always :) Mila Kunis reminds me so much of Angelina Jolie, shes stunning.

OMG, now you mention it, yeah I did notice he was stumbling into things sometimes. Amazing, I had no idea! I thought the glasses were for coolness!!

mcgive
07-01-2010, 06:12 PM
The book of Eli is bloody terrible, all that fuss over a bible is complete bollocks.

Xclusiive2388
07-01-2010, 10:15 PM
i haven't had the chance to watch the entire movie yet only bits and pieces, but from what i have seen. I deffinitly like the movie, it also reminded me of Fallout 3 as well.

Starstrukk X360A
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I didn't completely hate it, but I saw it when it was released in theaters and it didn't really turn out to be what I expected.

Colby4780
07-02-2010, 07:01 AM
I really enjoyed the film, it shows on how far faith can take an individual. If you think about it religion is a starter of war sometimes.

Hint
07-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I didn't get anything from the movie, can't say that I love it or hate, fust waste some time