PDA

View Full Version : Tips on getting 1st place?

Dalagrath
06-17-2010, 04:45 AM
Now this is probably an obvious answer, but sometimes the obvious doesn't come to me that quickly.

Any good tips on using power-ups to get into the top 3?

(I.E. Saving up 3 at a time, focusing on a certain power-up)

SideDish120
06-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Now this is probably an obvious answer, but sometimes the obvious doesn't come to me that quickly.

Any good tips on using power-ups to get into the top 3?

(I.E. Saving up 3 at a time, focusing on a certain power-up)

Basically anytime you see a nitro, get it. Keep opponents at a distance. Once you get ahead play defensivly and pick up shields and destroy and power-ups coming at you while still playing offensively.

FamiDude
06-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Like he said.

Most importantly, KNOW THE TRACK! Once you know where certain power ups are, it will be a lot easier if you're in first.

There are tracks I virtually ALWAYS finish forst on simply because I know them like the back of my hand.

Underkat
06-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I've got a pretty good first place win ratio also and the method I adopted which I dont see much in this game is 'driving lines'... for anyone thats familiar with racing games they know how to take corners, when to brake and stuff as obvious as that but so many times you see players throwing themselves at the corners. So in a nut shell play for power-ups yes but also don't forget to position your car and think about the track. Also until you make the top 3 try and stay 'quiet' by not attracting attention by doing too much damage and you'll find youself moving up the ranks quickly.

Law
06-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Shields, shields, and more shields. And anything else you can use defensively. Shunts, Mines, and Barges to kill shunts being shot at you and save the Shields for when they start spamming Shocks.

red mist 85
06-17-2010, 06:33 PM
until you make the top 3 try and stay 'quiet' by not attracting attention by doing too much damage and you'll find youself moving up the ranks quickly.

This does actually tend to work. In fact, I even fulfilled the pacifier challenge (the one for winning a race without firing any weapons) without even trying. I just snuck up the field while everyone else was taking care of each other and ended up in 1st. Then I just used shields to keep myself safe.

Basically once you're near the front of the field, you need to start playing defensively. When you get a shield, don't just activate it as soon as you pick it up. Use it only when you need to. Like when you have a shunt heading for you or when you see an unavoidable shock field in front of you. Barges are good for neutralising shunts. Bolts are less effective beacause you have to fire 2 rounds backwards. Mines are also good for neutralising shunts. If you're in the lead it's imperative that you have some means of defence. Never be without a power-up. Pick up every shield you see and use nitros to pull away from the chasing pack. If you do find yourself shield-less with an endless path of shocks in front of you, then slow right down and carefully weave your way through them. It pays to slow down, otherwise you'll just skid right into one.

nytelyte
06-18-2010, 03:15 AM
In the past couple weeks, I've been getting 4x, 5x, and 6x win streaks fairly consistently. Brighton hands me the occasional loss, or just bad luck from time to time. This is what I do to consistently land first place.

-=-=-=-

Use heavy cars. If you end up in the dirt, you don't lose so much speed. It doesn't have to be off road, just heavy. Like the Ford Shelby or the Dodge Challenger.

-=-=-=-

Here are the powerups in order of importance (my opinion, of course).

Shield > Barge > Nitro > Mine > Shock > Bolt > Repair > Shunt

Shock is italicized because it's moreso based on the situation whether it's good or not. I'll explain my reasoning.

Shield. Best item in the game. ALWAYS GRAB THESE AND HOLD ONTO ONE UNTIL ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

Barge. Stops mines and shunts, keeps people away from you. Both defensive and offensive. The most versatile powerup. I find myself dropping these when I have a big lead because if someone picks it up 5 seconds behind me... they're not gonna hit me with it.

Nitro. Good, but not as good as people think it is. You gain your speed, and then after a couple seconds, you lose it. Obviously they're still important, but not as awesome as people think.

Mines. Pretty useful. They stop incoming shunts, and if placed on top of key items (shields/nitros/repairs) can seriously slow down those behind you if you're in the lead.

-=-=-=-

As for racing strategy....

#1 important rule ever as stated above. Racing line. If you don't know what a racing line is, look it up and learn what it means. This is more important than any powerup or mod you can find. DRIVE A GOOD RACING LINE.

(added 6-24)
Taking a turn awfully wide seems like a bad idea, but hitting a wall loses more speed than taking a turn wide. Coming out of a turn at 85mph after slamming into a wall is not better than coming out of a turn at 110 because you took it wide and only scraped a wall. A good example is the second hairpin turn on Tokyo Shutoko Wangan-Sen. The turn that goes left, and then under that little bridge. Swerve out to the right before taking a sharp left into that turn. When I say swerve out to the right, I mean after that little median, go about halfway across the track to the right before taking a hard left. You'd be surprised how much faster you come out of that turn.
(/added 6-24)

Don't make yourself a target. How do you do this? Say you're on a straightaway in first place, and you pass by some powerups and there are bolts there. Be prepared for people behind you to shoot bolts at you down the track. How do you avoid being hit? Drive on the far right or far left side of the track. They're more likely to fire bolts down the center.

Don't make yourself a target (continued). At the beginning of the race, don't swerve all over the track to hit other cars. This just slows you and that one single person down, and lets the whole pack pass you. A better idea is to choose a higher accelerating vehicle and pass the pack quietly without hitting anyone. Grabbing shields over offensive powerups will help you sneak into first.

(added 6-24)
Taking the road less traveled. If you're on a track that forks, say most of the NY Dumbo tracks... Taking the path that nobody else takes is sometimes a great idea. Sure, the path that is taken may be a tiny bit shorter... but if 7 cars are on the right path, and you're the only car on the left path... nobody will interfere with your driving and you'll just gain speed while the others all ram into each other and hit each other with barges and stuff. Where does this leave you? Ahead of them. This also goes along with 'not making yourself a target'.
(/added 6-24)

You notice that I'm talking about defensive driving and not much offensive driving, correct? Well, why is defensive driving more important? My theory is: You spend 1 powerup to hit 1 or 2 people. The rest of the pack is unaffected. However, one shield can protect against multiple hits. You get more for your money's worth. Getting hit by a powerup makes you lose so much speed that multiple people will pass you. Shields prevent you from losing speed this way.

-=-=-=-

PROPER USE OF NITROS.

I very VERY rarely see people use nitros properly. Most people use them in a straightaway (or even worse, as soon as they get it). How do you use them properly then? The best time to use a nitro is in an area where you anticipate yourself losing speed. How can you anticipate losing speed? Let me explain. Barcelona - Passeig de Gracia. At the end is a SHARP left turn. Most people grind the right wall and if you're against intelligent players, that right wall is littered with mines. That is *NOT* where you want to be. I take that turn in A-class without dropping below 150mph or touching a wall. Hold a nitro specifically for that turn. As you approach, hold the handbrake and pull HARD to the left. Your car will turn 90 degrees to the left, once you're in the middle of the turn... hammer the nitro. Your car will keep its top speed, but continue in the direction that it is currently facing. It's facing LEFT, which should be considered straight after the turn. If this long and drawn out explanation doesn't make sense... here's the tl;dr version.

Approaching the turn, hold the handbrake and hold left on the stick. When your car is facing entirely to the left, fire the nitro.

-=-=-=-

Mod selection.

Some of the mods I see people using seem almost silly to me. Iron fist, for example. There's no reason to use it almost (at least in racing). What's the worst thing about getting hit by a shunt? The fact that you get slowed down and lose control of your vehicle. It has nothing to do with the damage. Don't use it.

I, personally, use a defensive mod setup. Why? My goal is to be in first place and keep it. So my mod setup should be geared towards keeping first place, and nothing else. So, here is a list of what I like to use.

Drifter: This mod is by FAR the best mod in the game if you practice and get good at using it. On some tracks, I've gotten as many as 12 nitros in one race. If you haven't learned how to use it well, Front Runner or Titanium Armor is an acceptable substitute. See my favorite car list further down to see which cars I use to abuse this Drifter mod.

Shielding Efficiency: If you're in first place, what is the worst thing for you to run into? Shocks. Having a super long-lasting shield that absorbs two shocks is THE BEST FUCKING THING EVER.

ECM: This mod, if you're smart, means that you will almost never be hit by a shunt ever again. If you take more than 1 out of every 10 shunts, then you're not using this mod correctly.

-=-=-=-

Car selection.

Before I go on about my car choices, you're going to wonder why I use them when the stats seem bad on them. The stats given in the car select screen are NOT actual representations of how the car actually functions. They seem to have been chosen based on opinion of the game testers.

My choices.

A-Class: Monaro VXR (Drift). Why the hell do I use this when nobody else does? It accelerates faster than most of the A-Class cars (excluding the Camaro SS Drag, C3 Drag, and the Ford Supervan3). Taking wide turns, this car just *GIVES* you free nitros with the Drifter mod, and it's really not that hard to control.

B-Class: Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Tuner). Yes, I think this is better than the Viper. It does take a bit of getting used to, as it's very heavy and the back end slides alot, but this leaves it for easy nitro grabbing with Drifter, and it also accelerates faster than the Viper.

C-Class: Ford Shelby. Again, back-end slidy car. You can tell how I like to race. It's heavy, takes damage well, doesn't lose speed so fast in the dirt/water, and has solid stats overall.

D-Class: Dodge Challenger whatever it is. It's basically a D-Class version of my favorite B-Class car.

-=-=-=-

Other misc. strategy.

When in first, I like to hold onto a Shunt, Shield, and Shock. The shield to protect myself, and the shunt/shock in case second place passes me up. If they pass me, you better believe I'ma drop the shock columns, let the shunt loose, and shield my way through as 1st tries to dodge the shock with a shunt on his tail.

LA Concrete Basin, LA Stormdrain Surge, and both Amboy tracks have very large and wide sweeping turns. If you start a turn with your car facing about 45 degrees off in the direction of the turn (a fairly strong drift), and you hammer 3 nitros, you pick up a 4th and possibly a 5th nitro while taking the turn. Overtaking 5+ cars with this is really not that difficult or unheard of. ^^

-=-=-=-

I think I've covered it all. Learn the tracks, figure out which paths are shorter (driving the line). Figure out which paths are equal in distance that are less traveled (don't make yourself the target). Learn which ones you can and cannot drift all over (mod selection). Do everything you can to avoid losing speed, even if it requires you to slide the back end out and use a nitro to avoid touching a wall. This is more crucial than you think.

I hope you enjoyed this read, I hope you learned something from it, and if you're also winning a lot and have a different driving style than myself, I hope this inspires you to write some kind of a guide as well. I'd like to see what other top players think of my list or how they race. ^^

Xscapist
06-19-2010, 04:46 AM
Before I go on about my car choices, you're going to wonder why I use them when the stats seem bad on them. The stats given in the car select screen are NOT actual representations of how the car actually functions. They seem to have been chosen based on opinion of the game testers.

Thank you! I'd figured this out for myself fairly early, but wasn't sure if I was crazy or not since so many people seem to not notice. I'd love to see someone eventually do up a Car Guide with the actual stats.

nytelyte
06-19-2010, 05:02 AM
Thank you! I'd figured this out for myself fairly early, but wasn't sure if I was crazy or not since so many people seem to not notice. I'd love to see someone eventually do up a Car Guide with the actual stats.

I'd love to post top speeds for every car in the game. Unfortunately, there is no time trial or practice mode. I mean, I guess I could do it split screen or something... Ugh, I wish they really had added a practice feature.

nytelyte
06-24-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm bumping this thread. Why? Because I spent a long-ass time typing up my strategy post and hardly anyone has responded to it, and I want more people to read it. My work and time spent on this game is NOT going to waste.

spunyun
06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm bumping this thread. Why? Because I spent a long-ass time typing up my strategy post and hardly anyone has responded to it, and I want more people to read it. My work and time spent on this game is NOT going to waste.

Nitro is better than barge for winning races. I don't even consider barge a good pickup. You have to time it just right to stop a shunt. That 2-3 seconds you shave off your time with Nitro makes a huge difference though.

As far as going from last to first, you basically just need to be lucky and race well. Don't take the turns like 80% off the morons who play Blur online.

guitarguy
06-24-2010, 11:21 PM
this should be stickied, nytelytes' tips were very useful :woop:

nytelyte
06-25-2010, 06:15 AM
this should be stickied, nytelytes' tips were very useful :woop:

If there is more movement to get this stickied, I'll make a new thread so it'll be the first post.

Dalagrath
06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Well I appreciate your help very much Nytelyte and ever since I started picking up barges and using better racing lines I come in the top 10 outta 20 every time. Still difficult to keep 1st place though.

nytelyte
06-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Well I appreciate your help very much Nytelyte and ever since I started picking up barges and using better racing lines I come in the top 10 outta 20 every time. Still difficult to keep 1st place though.

Defending 1st is tough. The racing lines are IMPERATIVE in 1st place. Shields (and using shielding effeciency) is your BEST FRIEND in 1st place. So is ECM so you can dodge shunts without wasting your shields, you need those for shock columns.

So all in all, to put it in a tidy little list, defending 1st consists of the following.
1) Driving a good racing line.
2) Holding shields until necessary.
3) Using ECM to dodge shunts instead of shields.
4) Dropping barges in front of powerups that can hurt you (if someone 5 seconds behind you has a barge, they won't be hitting YOU with it. Stopping them with a full inventory from picking up a shunt or a nitro is more useful). When you're in first, barges become less valuable. Even LESS if you have a shield in your inventory.
5) Not making yourself a target. Take alternate routes that are less traveled, drive on the far left or right of the road to avoid bolts.
6) Clever mine placement, like atop of key powerups or in narrow sections, or in highly traveled areas. (Also, clever decoy placement if you don't wanna use shielding effeciency)
7) Firing bolts backwards one at a time. I know most people fire bolts in a quick succession, but the most annoying thing about being bolted isn't the damage. It's the fact that it makes your car swerve. One bolt will make you swerve something fierce.

Hopefully you can adapt some of this to your driving style. All of these things only help defend 1st place a *little* bit, but doing all of them all of the time helps out a LOT in the long run. I'm not even exaggerating when I say I can get "Tearaway" almost every time I play NY Manhattan View. Unfortunately I only get the 5,000 fans one time. =(

Law
06-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with your car choices, but since you like to drift I guess those are the best cars for that racing style. For me, drifting just slows you down way to much and the Nitro you get using Drifter wont be better than just taking the turns normally. The mod choices are the exact setup I use except I obviously switch out Drifter for Front Runner.

Aki2403
06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Nytelyte's guide/advice is invaluable, and it will really help people out.
It'd be nice if it could get stickied as I'm sure many people would appreciate the advice within it.

I have but one minor niggle with it;
You mention about the best cars/power-ups to use, alas someone starting out at level 1, has access to none of the mentioned power-ups and IIRC hardly any of the cars.

I was playing this morning and using the general advice I was able to win with the first car in the group many times against people of significantly higher level driving supposedly superior cars.

It just shows that car power is no substitute for using the correct technique/racing line

grab plently of shields, lay out plenty of mines near power-ups that can damage you and in addition to this I would say try and hang on to a repair (just in case)

Also, Car wise, use whichever you're comfortable with. The only of the cars in nytelyte's list that I have access to is the D-Class Dodge Challenger which although it goes like the clappers I find harder to control that one of the other cars (quite which eludes me at this point in time, I'll post it if I remember though).

nytelyte
06-26-2010, 12:57 AM
I have a drifty style, and I use the hard-to-control vehicles. A grippy style can most definitely be taken advantage of. As for losing speed in drifts, you do lose a bit of speed, but there's no need to turn the car a complete 45 degrees to the side. Just a slight slide will get your nitro. Regardless, there are plenty of strategies in my post that do not require you to drive a drifty vehicle or have a high rank to unlock these cars.

Driving style will come as you play. Racing lines apply no matter what, as do shields, and once you hit rank 10, the ECM/Shielding Effeciency. =)

I *HAD* a friend with a grippy playstyle start to type a post, but there was some reason why it didn't post and he didn't wanna re-type it. =(

aussiegamer
06-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Thanks neyelte, great help mate :)

Piccolo549
06-26-2010, 06:21 AM
I like to play demolition and use master-mine, easy top 3 finish.

Dalagrath
06-26-2010, 06:53 AM
I like to play demolition and use master-mine, easy top 3 finish.

I hate people that play with this play style. No offense, but it takes no skill to do this.