PDA

View Full Version : Same Save System as the PS1 Version?

Haldar
06-19-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm thinking about getting this for the 360 now that it is on sale, but am on the fence since I already own the PS One version. My question is, does this version offer any advantages (other than achievements)? For example, can you save anywhere, or are you still limited to save points like the PS One version (if I remember correctly)? Are there any other features which make this better than the PS One, or is it just a direct port?

Thanks.

Didi Mau
06-19-2010, 08:07 AM
I've never played the original to be able to answer the latter question (though I believe I read a few pages back it's a port ripped straight from the disc), but in the interest of you getting an answer before the deal is over you cannot save at any time you wish- there's still save rooms dotted around the map.

If you still have the original at hand to play whenever, it might not be worth the purchase- 400ms is an absolute steal for this game in my opinion though, I might actually be enjoying this more than I do Shadow Complex and I haven't even started Richter's playthrough yet :p

Mongolian Beef
06-19-2010, 09:40 AM
You can only save in save rooms.

More info I found off a FAQ:

Symhony of the Night version comparison:

- The Playstation One game has the best transparency effects and
sound of the bunch. This game is also available for purchase from
the PSN Store and can be played on PS3 and PSP.

-The Sega Saturn version adds Maria Renard as a playable character as
well as 2 new areas that feature ho-hum remixes of classic
Castlevania music. However, the load times are terrible and the game
has some noticeable slowdown in many places. These problems aren't
due to the Saturn hardware; it was a 2D powerhouse and the game could
have run even better than the PSOne version. Blame a short
development cycle and small budget, likely because no US release was
planned.

-The Xbox 360 game has optional enhanced graphics, which smooth the
sprites, making them look much better on an HDTV. A widescreen border
has been added and the game can be stretched to fill more of the
screen. There are virtually no load times, which rocks! The 12
Achievements are fun to go after and allow your friends to see how
much of a Symphony fan you really are.
Unfortunately, the 360 version does sport a few minor problems. The 2
crappy FMV scenes from the other versions are gone, helping to keep
the game's file size down. The sound is slightly downgraded for the
same reason. There are also missing transparencies and a few
instances of slowdown.

With all that said, if you're a Castlevania fan with an HDTV, you
definitely want the 360 game. It's never looked better and the
Achievements warrant an extra playthrough. Just remember to go into
the game's status menu by pressing select and change the sound
from Mono to Stereo if you want things to sound right.

aintezbeinweezy
06-19-2010, 11:09 AM
I find it somewhat funny that one of the "problems" is that the crappy FMV was removed.

I honestly didn't notice any slowdown, and the music is still as good as ever. If you are a elitist nerd that will listen to them side by side and compare you may notice.

But the answer to OP is yes it is basically a direct port. You still need to get though as it as it is the best game ever invented.

Qrac
06-12-2011, 03:25 PM
So... where do you save the game?

I've played this game 5-6 times now. Each time about 1-3 hours. Died everytime and got an Game Over.

Would really appriciate if someone could tell me where I can save the game so that I don't have to repeat the game all over again if I die. :p

Didi Mau
06-12-2011, 04:55 PM
So... where do you save the game?

I've played this game 5-6 times now. Each time about 1-3 hours. Died everytime and got an Game Over.

Would really appriciate if someone could tell me where I can save the game so that I don't have to repeat the game all over again if I die. :p

The save rooms show up on the map as red squares, they're the rooms with the big yellow icosahedron* floating in the middle. Just stand underneath it, hold up and the game will ask if you want to save your game (as well as restoring your health to max). There's quite a lot of them around thankfully- the first one you can find is shortly after Death takes your equipment away, in one of the western exits of the big area that has the Cube of Zoe relic.

*Does it actually have some sort of Christian reference? I've never seen it anywhere, it took me a while just googling to find the name of the shape :P