PDA

View Full Version : Game opinion?

unique riggers
06-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Whats the game about and like?

SithLord0498
06-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't think it's been released yet. Just the preview trailer from E3 and that's currently available for download on LIVE.

Based on that trailer though, it doesn't remind me an awful lot of the old PS2 game Splashdown but without the jet skis. Mix in a little of the racing combat seen in games like BLUR and Wipeout, and that's pretty much Hydro Thunder Hurricane.

Personally, I'm definitely going to download the demo and if it's as good as it looks, I'll be unlocking the full version.

Unalive3
06-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Anyone remember Star Wars Episode I: Racer for the N64? After watching the trailer for this game I instantly thought: wow that game looks like Racer but its on the water.

It's a definite demo download for me...

II TAPOUT II
06-22-2010, 01:14 AM
I don't think it's been released yet. Just the preview trailer from E3 and that's currently available for download on LIVE.

Based on that trailer though, it doesn't remind me an awful lot of the old PS2 game Splashdown but without the jet skis. Mix in a little of the racing combat seen in games like BLUR and Wipeout, and that's pretty much Hydro Thunder Hurricane.

Personally, I'm definitely going to download the demo and if it's as good as it looks, I'll be unlocking the full version.

Me too, this game looks awesome and reminds me of Blood Wake, a water-racing-combat game released for the oG Xbox back in '01. I saw it and was instantly interested.

Russman
06-22-2010, 01:34 AM
I remember playin this in the arcades back in the day lol. They also had one called Arctic Thunder, it was a snowmobile one and the machine had a fan that blew air in your face to simulate real cold driving lol.

MonkeyPunchBaby
06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I loved this game back in the day! I played it at the arcade all the time. I also had it on my N64. I am so excited its coming out for Live. I loved the Titanic level, i hope they kept it.

Coldshadowz
06-22-2010, 04:49 PM
I used to play that game all the time, star wars i mean

Coldshadowz
06-22-2010, 04:50 PM
don't remember that level. I played hydro thunder a lot in an arcade at a bowling alley

NinjaLunchBox79
06-28-2010, 05:33 AM
This is a totally new & different Hydro Thunder . . its not the original , sadly. But if this one is anything like the old one . . then i'm in!!!

Bazajaytee
07-28-2010, 01:16 PM
This is a totally new & different Hydro Thunder . . its not the original , sadly. But if this one is anything like the old one . . then i'm in!!!

Its very similar to the Dreamcast original. Well worth the 1200 MS Points.

luuwat
07-28-2010, 02:06 PM
great game, just played 5 games online

8 players!!!

very good gfx and gameplay

wolvieware
07-28-2010, 02:31 PM
I get a Wave Race vibe from it...except rampred up on adrenalin. Wave Race was great, but just took place around quaint little islands. This has got some imaginative levels, with huge waterfalls and sea monsters and stuff. Really good fun. Wasn't too keen on online, as it was a bit dull, and I just seemed to be racing around by myself, but four player split screen will be great with people sitting on the same sofa. I've started to unlock the pro events now, and it is getting a bit hard for me, so I do wonder if I will be able to do the extreme events 8)

The Destroyernatorer
07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I played the demo, and I was severely disappointed.

The vehicles are too slow, controlling them isn't fun or comfortable and in general it's quite boring.

Now, I never played the original, so maybe it's remaining faithful to that and the fans of the original will enjoy it.

As it stands, I'm only buying it if I end up buying all of the other summer of arcade titles. Because then it would essentially be free.

DarnedCargo
07-28-2010, 04:01 PM
I wont be getting this game because of the achievement http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1416/UP1nfXM=.jpg (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/hydro-thunder-hurricane/achievement/41624-Humans-Gooood.html)Humans Gooood (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/hydro-thunder-hurricane/achievement/41624-Humans-Gooood.html)10 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.pngPlay a 4 way local Multiplayer race in which all the humans beat all the AI...

The Dauntless
07-28-2010, 04:38 PM
IGN have a review up, it got 5.0!!

Still gonna get it cos its part of the summer of arcade thing, otherwise I would have sailed past this one.

OK so I decided to give it a try and its actually pretty good. Only done 15 events so far but there is nothing to seriously complain about and its actually fairly fun - more fun to play the Limbo at least.

kyboy
07-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I played the demo, and I was severely disappointed.

The vehicles are too slow, controlling them isn't fun or comfortable and in general it's quite boring.

Now, I never played the original, so maybe it's remaining faithful to that and the fans of the original will enjoy it.

As it stands, I'm only buying it if I end up buying all of the other summer of arcade titles. Because then it would essentially be free.

i agree.. the vehicles are too slow an dont like the movement.. its a shame, cuz i loved the old arcade one.. an BTW I LOVE YOUR SIG! NIRVANA FTW!!!!!! i hate courtney love

littlejay
07-28-2010, 04:50 PM
ign is the only site to give it anything lower than a 7 and 8 is the average with several sites giving it 9+

ill snag it because it looks fun and loved the old game.

humans good will suck but oh well. it's only 10g and im missing more in a couple of other games

Combat Wombat
07-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Two thumbs up!!:Bounce:

Luna Saisho
07-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Based on limited time, one race offline, I like it. I also have the Dreamcast original. ^_^

I do think not getting a game because you can't get an achievement is silly. That's not being a gamer, to me.

The Destroyernatorer
07-28-2010, 06:46 PM
i agree.. the vehicles are too slow an dont like the movement.. its a shame, cuz i loved the old arcade one.. an BTW I LOVE YOUR SIG! NIRVANA FTW!!!!!! i hate courtney love

Kind of going off on a tangent or 4 there mate, but I agree with all of it :p

KeepEmRolling
07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
I wont be getting this game because of the achievement http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/1416/UP1nfXM=.jpg (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/hydro-thunder-hurricane/achievement/41624-Humans-Gooood.html)Humans Gooood (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/hydro-thunder-hurricane/achievement/41624-Humans-Gooood.html)10 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.pngPlay a 4 way local Multiplayer race in which all the humans beat all the AI...

That achievement does suck, and I'll likely never get it, but I love the game and I wouldn't pass on it because of Humans Gooood. I played the older N64 and Dreamcast games as well as the arcade version. This game is just as fun as those are.

Great game, and hunting down all the hidden emblems will take awhile.

paxxxeku
07-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Loving it so far...good i have friends with extra controllers

DarnedCargo
07-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Ok i take back my last comment.

i actually enjoyed it its fast its fun and incredably addictive. a definate must have for any gamer.

Magespower
07-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Just picked it up and have done about five races and it has been extremely fun!!

El1t3M4st3r GR
07-29-2010, 01:53 AM
The game is awesome, good long lasting singleplayer with lots of tracks, boats and skins to unlock and dont forget 8 player MP!

BUZZARDIO 1080
07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
imo its better than limbo, i did like limbo , i just thought it was to hyped, this is great FUN, (and not over in 3 hours)

Sno Pirate
07-29-2010, 03:20 PM
So far it's not as good as limbo but has way more lasting appeal.

mozie
07-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Afraid I have to mostly agree with the IGN review on this one, fun for a while and the water effects are great but gets boring quickly, loved the DC one back in the day but with the rose tinted glasses off what worked back then does'nt quite cut it today. On the plus side its nice to see 4 player split-screen support, wish it was in more titles.

Syrette
07-29-2010, 07:25 PM
I do think not getting a game because you can't get an achievement is silly. That's not being a gamer, to me.

It's embarrassing to read tbh, but to each their own. It's his money.

It's only 10G after all.

Darth Cuda
07-30-2010, 12:18 AM
This game is an updated sequal to the Hydrothunder coin op arcade game. Great game without having to leave your home.

DrJonan
07-30-2010, 02:26 PM
I remember when I used to play Hydro Thunder on my Dreamcast, damn that was fun. It was such a great game. I've played the demo and I've enjoyed it, brought back some memories. I'm very likely to download it. :)

asdf123
07-30-2010, 04:17 PM
to bad they started charging 1200 for every mediocre game now, not worth it any more

The Destroyernatorer
07-30-2010, 04:21 PM
It's embarrassing to read tbh, but to each their own. It's his money.

It's only 10G after all.

I thought it was pathetic, but then I thought maybe he was a completionist?

So I checked his profile...

20990 gamerscore, with 107 games played. And he's got plenty of arcade games with hardly any gamerscore, so I really don't see his basis at all. What a dumb thing to say, although he revoked the comment.

Annalie
07-31-2010, 08:53 PM
to bad they started charging 1200 for every mediocre game now, not worth it any more

They are only charging 1200 for SUMMER OF ARCADE GAMES! everything will be back to normal when its over. i hope >.>

littlejay
07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
They are only charging 1200 for SUMMER OF ARCADE GAMES! everything will be back to normal when its over. i hope >.>

several non summer of arcade games are 1200 points. it's just becoming the new standard sadly. deathspank was 1200 though a good game was short and more worth 800 imo. there are games plenty worth the 1200 though

The Destroyernatorer
07-31-2010, 09:56 PM
several non summer of arcade games are 1200 points. it's just becoming the new standard sadly. deathspank was 1200 though a good game was short and more worth 800 imo. there are games plenty worth the 1200 though

I think Deathspank was definitely worth the 1200. It was longer than most arcade titles, there were 1000s of lines of witty dialogue, it had a huge map... the list goes on. Compare it to the likes of Limbo, which was about 30%-50% as long, with only artistic merit to justify the price.

Simply put, 1200 is the new 800; we're going to have to deal with that, however I think Deathspank merited the 1200. It was a top notch game, with a lot of love gone into it, and a lot of love to give :p

cjpro333
08-01-2010, 04:41 AM
I think if you are a fan of Hydro Thunder, you should definitely get this game right away!

Natetendo83
08-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Except for the IGN review, a lot of people enjoyed this game. I think it's a blast to play and picked it up yesterday on my day off. It's a ton of fun and the multiplayer is a welcome addition. I personally think the guy at IGN just doesn't care for this kind of game. If you enjoy racing games and were a fan of the original you owe it to yourself to pick this up.

Splode
08-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I downloaded the demo of this and thought that it was really fun. I was pondering whether to buy the full game and decided that i would. Big mistake. It is not a dreadful game, but it soon gets very repetitive as there are only 8 tracks and the modes are not all that different from each other (Race and Gauntlet are extremely similar). Online is fun , but suffers from the same problems as single player. In my opinion, there is no way that this game is worth 1200 msp, and I am annoyed that I have wasted 10 on it when there are other alternatives.

Edit: After playing this game for longer than when i posted my first impressions, I feel that the above is extremely harsh. The main pull of this game is trying to beat previous times and win gold medals which I had not fully realised at the start. Although I still feel that 1200 msp is slightly steep, I am enjoying it quite a lot now and I reiterate that the above is extremely harsh and should be mostly ignored :)

Aki2403
08-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I downloaded the demo of this and thought that it was really fun. I was pondering whether to buy the full game and decided that i would. Big mistake. It is not a dreadful game, but it soon gets very repetitive as there are only 8 tracks and the modes are not all that different from each other (Race and Gauntlet are extremely similar). Online is fun , but suffers from the same problems as single player. In my opinion, there is no way that this game is worth 1200 msp, and I am annoyed that I have wasted 10 on it when there are other alternatives.

I'm guessing you never had this on the N64 then.

It was something like 40 on there, and there were only 5 or 6 tracks iirc.
and there most certainly wasn't online multi-player, and there was no "other" modes, it was limited to races only.

The only thing that I miss from the N64 version is the bonus boats (Chumdinger, Tinytanic, Blowfish, Armed Response)

In my opinion this game is worth the price they're asking for it, granted I would rather of payed 800msp for it, but you can't always eat your cake and have it.

Chrsb666
11-15-2010, 11:45 PM
I love the game, i had the original Hydro Thunder for PSone and i love this new one although could be more maps and different game types i would definatly give it at the very least a 8.5/10

Cyclobomber
03-08-2012, 05:49 AM
This game is definitely a must have in terms of fun, visual style and challenge, but to be honest, if the game had been half as hard as it is, it would have been even better to me, once you start using Expert boats, the AI turns insanely vicious and never misses anything, and learning to take every single shortcut perfectly is a very tiresome task, although this is what really makes the game shine, I must say that such a punishing game is slightly off-putting (I dread Expert and Pro events and GPs).

Otherwise, for just a quick fix it's always great fun (I love racing on Monster Island).

Foxxy kyle
04-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I read through every single post on this thread...and I have decided....that I dont know whether to get it or not lol. I hardly ever have MSP but my cousin gave me a 4000 card. I think I will buy some DLC's I want first and see if I can get this and From Dust...Maybe...

Bardfor
01-18-2014, 11:45 PM
It is an ok game... probably not worth 1200 points, though.