PDA

View Full Version : Operation Potluck (Spoiler)

TwinAxes
06-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I am pulling out my hair with this mission. I have captured all 7 oil tankers blown the crap out of the support ships but i never get a mission end marker played the mission 15-20 times and to be frank i'm really f****d off is there something i'm not doing?

fuzz n ga
06-23-2010, 07:41 PM
heres what i just did and got 5 stars. theres eight oil tankers disable first seven destroy all other ships wait for the light cruisers to come destroy those once your extract beacon pops up it aloud me to destroy some of the remaining oil tankers to get my 5 stars try that hopefully it works for you

TwinAxes
06-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Tried that over an over again the only thing i can think of is that my games got a glitch.

Sgt Rock
06-28-2010, 04:08 AM
TwinAxes: Its not you. My brother and I both agree this mission is clearly screwed up...and especially so since this is happening in easy mode.

The convoy is going West to East (left to right on chart). I've tried to capture 7 oil tankers about 20 times only to be told ships are out of range and mission aborted. The problem is there are tankers coming in at the north and south ends of the chart and it is physically impossible to go fast enough to cover both northern and southern tankers at either periscope depth or deep depth. And if you try to run on the surface you WILL get destroyed.

So, instead of charging into the convoy I changed strategy and intentionally stayed east of the convoy at all times. NOTHING got past me, whether tanker or combatant. Yet with only about 3-4 ships left to go, I STILL got aborted before I could get to the remaining tankers. Nothing was "out of range". There's something wrong with this mission, or some secret to it we're supposed to keep guessing at. Mu guess so far is that its not really a matter of whether you let any oil tankers get past you and out of range, but that its a TIME sensitive mission...in which case it can only be beat by being a lucky maniac.

I'm completely toasted and at an impasse.

TIP: Regardless of the above crap, to add to your tonnage, you need not evade and wait for the gunboats to leave at the beginning. If you line up quickly and properly, and are a good shot, you can take out the 1st 3 gunboats and a Light cruiser all within a couple minutes. First take out the middle gunboat due west, swing north to take out the north gunboat, then swing south and take out the south gunboat. Finally, swing west to meet the Light Cruiser coming at you from the northwest. You must fire long and accurate and HIT him, because you'll have just enough time for a 2nd shot to finish him off. You should come out with 97 or 98% health. But if you miss the first shot and have to start mixing it up with this guy, you may as well re-start because the time it will take to get untangled from him and kill him will cost you valuable time and possibly health you'll need later on.

If anyone has some specific, detailed, useful and practical advice or strategy on how to beat this mission...please speak up.

Sgt Rock
07-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Update:

Above was done with the starter sub. After getting enough stars to upgrade to the 2nd one which goes a lot faster, there's time to get around before they time you out.

More_Credible
08-02-2010, 04:18 AM
Okay, now I'm stuck on this. I'm trying to get the Patriot sub but I guess I'm not getting enough stars each level.

How do I up my tonnage?