PDA

View Full Version : Alan Wake v Dead Space

Flex Gabz Flex
06-24-2010, 12:39 AM
I keep hearing good things about both. I only want to play one tho, they both take 2 playthroughs and about the same time to complete.

But which is the better game? The most scary? The easier achievements? The one with more replay value (as to wanting todo the 2nd playthrough)

please let me know your thoughts on which to buy, thanks

veece16
06-24-2010, 12:45 AM
I keep hearing good things about both. I only want to play one tho, they both take 2 playthroughs and about the same time to complete.

But which is the better game? The most scary? The easier achievements? The one with more replay value (as to wanting todo the 2nd playthrough)

please let me know your thoughts on which to buy, thanks

Alan Wake is better and has better replay value, Dead Space is easier though.

deathreaper99
06-24-2010, 01:58 AM
it depends do you like soft horror like Alan Wake or more hardcore horror like dead space.
Each is good but dead space beats Alan wake at surprises.
Both have good stories Alan wake seemed to me as a liner while dead space it was a puzzle and you were filling it in.
I would suggest Dead Space or hell just borrow the dame games at blockbusters 9.99 for 5 days and see which you want.

-bob

RadiantViper
06-24-2010, 02:05 AM
Why do you only want one? Get both, they're both amazing games. There's horror/scary elements in each, but in the end they're pretty different so it's hard to just say one is better than the other.

Dz06lt
06-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Dead Space

Flex Gabz Flex
06-24-2010, 04:17 AM
The only thing that puts me off alan wake are the amount of Collectibles in the game, I would use a video guide to find them all on my first playthrough but won't it ruin the game abit? Collect, pause, check next location, collect. I really don't fancy playing this games 3times, 1 just for the story, 1 for achievements and 1 for nightmare. Anyone here do it in 2play throughs? Did collecting first time round ruin the game?

tmcmullen08
06-24-2010, 04:32 AM
The only thing that puts me off alan wake are the amount of Collectibles in the game, I would use a video guide to find them all on my first playthrough but won't it ruin the game abit? Collect, pause, check next location, collect. I really don't fancy playing this games 3times, 1 just for the story, 1 for achievements and 1 for nightmare. Anyone here do it in 2play throughs? Did collecting first time round ruin the game?

The Collectibles are a little ridiculous, but there a many people who 1000'd this game in 2 playthroughs. If you use the color-coded collectibles guide, it makes it easier to pick up the collectibles on your first normal playthrough, then focus on nightmare the second playthrough.

@OP: Dead Space is far superior imo. Alan Wake is good, but Dead Space is much scarier, which I loved. The achievements were fairly easy, and you will get 600+ with little effort on your first playthrough, then round up most (if not all on your second). Dead Space has very few collectibles btw, and they are actually cool. Also, I loved the game, but I have enjoyed playing it through 4 times, and I still plan to get to impossible difficulty some day. (Sitting at 850/100)

cpkbob
06-24-2010, 07:17 AM
dead space is MUCH MUCH scarier.

To be honest, I thought alan wake was not that scary, save for when a guy comes around the corner real fast, but tahts scary for any game.

Dead space gets real scary because no corner is safe, your back is always vulnerable. Also, rotating lights help to hide enemies. However, this game is more difficult in my opinion for hardest difficulty playthrough, but alan wake has so many collectibles.

Dead space>alan wake

GrimreaperGamer
06-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Both have there moments in terms of being scary, just depends on the situation

NSTforYoMama
06-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I just ordered Alan Wake, but I would have to agree even before playing Alan Wake Dead Space is a lot more scary.

Gyllen Drage
06-24-2010, 05:19 PM
I must be pretty brave, everyone I know says dead space is scary, yet I played through it 2 and a bit times and the only thing that made me jump was a door slamming shut in the medical area. It had a good atmosphere though, but alan wakes atmosphere is far spookier, though again no real scares, I can't even remember a single jump in the game, though it did manage to make me feel uneasy quite a few times (but then dead space did as well).
The thing that hurt it's scare factor for me was the camera panning towards enemies when they spawned, it ruined it, there are moments when the encounter music starts playing, but it doesn't make your heart race because the game tells you when they have turned up.

Both good games though.

GothicMark
06-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Alan Wake or Dead Space - that's a difficult one... I think I'd have to say Alan Wake. Just. I'm on my 3rd playthough (on Nightmare Difficulty) its still creeping me out on occasions ....and it has a Killer Soundtrack :rock

the iceman6669
06-24-2010, 10:45 PM
gah thats a tough choice... if you could I would strongly recommend giving both a go! Alan Wake is an awesome psychological thriller but lacks the popup shock value of a good horror game. Dead space has sexy weapons, dismemberment and more scary lil suprises then you can shake a stick at, I would have to say dead space because it just had that great "your all alone" feel to it, and it has an upcoming sequal >.>

But again I would highly recommend you play them both!! especially when your all alone on a stormy night with the lights off :P lol

GS17259
06-25-2010, 07:28 AM
I didn't think dead space was scary at all, there is a lot more gore and you get to kick babies, but i thought that Alan Wake had a much better story and was more psychological and thought out where as dead space depended more on the shock and gore factor. Both are good though and worth playing.

Armstrong x360a
06-25-2010, 11:29 PM
But again I would highly recommend you play them both!! especially when your all alone on a stormy night with the lights off :P lol

This is exactly my plan for Alan Wake this evening. So far only pissed myself once! :P How long is a full play through?

tobiasdennis
06-26-2010, 04:17 PM
they were both an easy 1000G, and are both fantastic games... so, get BOTH.

Chef Giulio
06-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I think Alan Wake is scarier, just because they do such a good job with a soundtrack and keeps you always wondering when the next taken is going to jump out. Dead space wasn't that scary for me except for couple parts.

Achievements wise i think Alan Wake is Easier. Collectible are not hard to find and there are many good guides for them.

Armstrong x360a
06-26-2010, 08:26 PM
I agree with the above. Why chose one when both games are so great?

xduderx
06-27-2010, 05:10 AM
i know that this is an achievement site, but if you were to deprive yourself out of an awesome game just because you didnt care for the time it would take you to complete it then somethings wrong with you, both are fantastic games with great stories. do not pick, get both. you can probably pick up dead space used for like 10 bucks, i did

Thugnificent52
06-27-2010, 06:58 AM
I, too was thinking of picking up Alan Wake but I heard that the game play was horrible. Dead space however is a great game and you can't beat zero gravity basketball!

SVxTERM1NATOR
06-27-2010, 04:10 PM
I rented and beat the game on normal last night. It wasn't that bad when it comes to a fear factor.. just that old lady.. creeping me out.

SickSiD0
06-27-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd say go for both. Great story and gameplay both of them. Prefered story and "moments" of Alan Wake but Dead Space was scary as hell and is probably cheaper. Haven't got the 1000 on neither of them, but both seem to be pretty easy to make the 1000 mark.

GET BOTH!!!

Ozbaab
06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Dead Space sure is ALOT scarier, but the story ain't as good as in Alan Wake.

I would get both tho :)

lethal.b
06-28-2010, 02:38 PM
get both. dead space is dirt cheap now

oXI Chimera IXo
06-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Dead Space > Alan Wake

RalliArtEvo
06-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Dead Space is a better game in my opinion. however both games deserve to be in any true gamers library.

Yontnaem
06-29-2010, 07:54 AM
I enjoyed Dead Space much more than Alan Wake. I found Alan Wake a dull in places and not as spooky as Dead Space.