PDA

View Full Version : Williams Wants Riddler Role

B1GM13
06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Robin Williams (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/912/912401.html) has been discussing his desire to appear in a Batman movie, stating that he'd play anything from The Riddler (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/924/924001.html) to an Arkham Asylum inmate in Batman 3 (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/961/961205.html).

Speaking to Empire Magazine about his work with director Christopher Nolan (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/910/910810.html) on Insomnia (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/034/034773.html), Williams says "I would work with Chris again in a second, playing anyone in anything. I'd play The Riddler in the next Batman, although it would be hard to top Heath [Ledger (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/914/914641.html)] as the villain, and I'm a little hairy for tights."

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/110/1102388/batman-3-20100628070945995.jpg Robin Williams in Christopher Nolan's Insomnia.

Williams even applies additional pressure by stating "I'm using this article as an ad. Chris, call me, I'll do anything. I could be a great character - or some weird little man in the background in Arkham Asylum."

The actor also spilled the beans regarding his chequered past with the franchise. "The Batman films have screwed me twice before" he explains. "Years ago they offered me The Joker (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/923/923882.html) and then gave it to Jack Nicholson (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/915/915828.html), then they offered me The Riddler and gave it to Jim Carrey (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/912/912169.html). I'd be like 'OK, is this a real offer? If it is, then the answer's yes. Don't pump me again, motherf**kers'."

It's been a while since Williams has done scary on screen, but if he reigns it in and delivers the same kind of creepy that won him so many plaudits in Nolan's Insomnia, he could be just the man for the Riddler role.

Source - IGN.com

MrFresh
06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
I believe Robin can be a good penguin...

Muffin the Holy
06-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I like Robin Williams, but I think he's gettin' a little too old and too chubby for the part of the Riddler.

rvlution
06-28-2010, 04:46 PM
He sounded like if he didn't get a role he would go insane... So maybe he's a good candidate? lol

KeepEmRolling
06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
He's a great actor and i think he could pull off the Riddler quite well other than the physical contrast between him and the Riddler. But then again, i thought casting Keaton as Batman was idiotic, but he was much, much better than Clooney or Kilmer.

Starstrukk X360A
06-28-2010, 10:27 PM
He can pull it off so well. I mean, just imagine him as the Riddler.

It's pretty frighteningly well done.

Schism
06-28-2010, 11:08 PM
i think he could pull it off very well...Carreys Riddler was all insane and laughing...but the Riddler was more of a serious villain..so i think Williams could pull it off very well.

TVthePunisher
06-29-2010, 12:09 AM
I personally believe he's amazing as an actor. I don't get some of the hate he gets, but he's great at pulling off serious characters and them making them charming and irresistable at the same time without overdoing it. Him as the Riddler? I'd vote an absolute yes. I never thought about him taking the role, sure he's a big older and heavier now...but I'd love to see it.

Can't believe an actor like him got screwed out of the original two roles...Joker and Riddler, but then again this is a whole new crew and director handling the movie...I'd love to stick him in a Batman movie. Any sign of him would be welcome...I didn't see the episode of Law and Order SVU where Williams was in it but I hear it was good...he played somewhat of a psycho, but in a sophisticated manner I believe?

DOOKH8R
06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I demand Christopher Walken

laundryman
06-29-2010, 12:47 AM
That really wouldn't be so bad. I would really like him to give the Riddler an energetic and dark character and he's got the energetic part down. Plus he's juts a very good actor. I'm all for it.

jamie1000013
06-29-2010, 12:57 AM
I demand Christopher Walken

Both too old TBH, Batman would kill them in a punch rofl. I think Johnny Depp would play a good Riddler, he can play any role to perfection.

WTF.... just found this pic

http://jayfingers.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/batman_3_poster___riddler_by_joshwmc.jpg

French_Kid
06-29-2010, 02:25 AM
if robin williams could slim down a bit he would do great as the riddler.

but TBH i would rather see Johnny Depp as the riddler. that would be fantastic

X monkfish69 X
06-29-2010, 07:10 AM
I think Williams is an excellent actor and has played some very good roles in his career, but I think the biggest problem he has is shaking off the image that he just does kids' films. People cannot/don't take him on board as a serious actor which will obviously go against him.

Personally I haven't seen all of Insomnia cause I fell asleep through it. What I did see was very boring and it didn't seem to be leading to anything, but I'll give it another chance at some point...

B1GM13
06-29-2010, 07:47 AM
I think Williams is an excellent actor and has played some very good roles in his career, but I think the biggest problem he has is shaking off the image that he just does kids' films. People cannot/don't take him on board as a serious actor which will obviously go against him.

Personally I haven't seen all of Insomnia cause I fell asleep through it. What I did see was very boring and it didn't seem to be leading to anything, but I'll give it another chance at some point...

Well in some aspects Heath Ledger had to shake the same sorta image off for Dark Knight (excluding brokeback mountain).

like 10 things i hate about you, Knights tale... just didnt seem like the sorta films an evil clever pyscho would come from. but fair play he was outstanding in TDK.

Robin Williams is a great actor, and he'd prepare himself for this role alot.

XxBlueSpade2xX
06-29-2010, 08:34 AM
I don't know. He's a great actor, but he would have fit better in Burton's Batman films. IMO.

Wortsenawl
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
er... What about Awakenings, One Hour Photo, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia - He does not just make kids movies. He is an amazing actor. I admit it took me a long time to come to that realisation as I had only seen him in kids films and hated him. It was Awakenings that woke me up to his ability (no pun intended).

X monkfish69 X
06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
er... What about Awakenings, One Hour Photo, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia - He does not just make kids movies. He is an amazing actor. I admit it took me a long time to come to that realisation as I had only seen him in kids films and hated him. It was Awakenings that woke me up to his ability (no pun intended).

TBH, I haven't seen any of those films apart from One Hour Photo and Insomnia (which I fell asleep through). I had forgotten about One Hour Photo and he was very good in that. I'm glad you reminded me of that one.
Good Will Hunting just doesn't interest me due to the story content. It's not a film I can say that I would ever want to watch.

I'll look up Awakenings and see if it's a film worth watching...

Volzagia
06-29-2010, 10:34 AM
I have a feeling he would make an awesome riddler

Nozza XBA
06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Both too old TBH, Batman would kill them in a punch rofl. I think Johnny Depp would play a good Riddler, he can play any role to perfection.

http://jayfingers.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/batman_3_poster___riddler_by_joshwmc.jpg

FAKE!

I'd love RW to be the Riddler! I love him! He would make a good penguin though but the Riddler is so quirky and crazy Robin would play that very well I feel!

Fingers cross!

SynysterChris
06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I say give it too him. He deserves the role, and I think he could do it, plus he needs one last role to go out on.

Pyrochaos
06-29-2010, 04:09 PM
i think he could pull it off very well...Carreys Riddler was all insane and laughing...but the Riddler was more of a serious villain..so i think Williams could pull it off very well.

Thank you. You're one of the few people here that gets that. He was never an insane crazy villian like the Joker. More of the criminal mastermind. Probably the closest thing to the real riddler we've seen in Hollywood has been Jigsaw from the Saw series. His riddles were meant to be death traps.

Snowman
06-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I think Nolan can re-imagine the Riddler to fit Robin Williams perfectly, it would be pretty intense to see him in it.

Roske
06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I see alot of people giving Robin Williams a "negative" in his bid for Riddler because of his body type difference from the comic version. I wonder if those same people thought Heath Ledger couldn't be the Joker because he wasn't toothpick thin like the comic book Joker?

mcgive
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Willem Dafoe would be a good Riddler I reckon.

Tussell
07-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Would be pretty cool to see him thrown into the Batman mix. He's a great actor with definite potential for the movie.

I never knew he was considered for both the old Joker and Riddler, but the roles were given away to Nicholson and Carrey. Would have been interesting to see him in those roles.

TheEighthSage
07-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Hmmm...as much as I would love seeing Robin get it, that mockup of David Tennant has me curious...I mean, he'd definitely have the look down, but can he sell it?

Sorry, back on topic. I think Robin Williams would be a pretty good pick in terms of acting ability...but I don't think he'd be able to sell it too well due to his age. Not so much build as it is age. I mean, we're talking about Batman as he's just getting settled into being Batman, so he's supposed to be rather young. His villains need to contrast that, yes...but The Riddler doesn't have too much of an age difference, or so I thought.

Then again, that episode of SVU does come to mind...

jtr1gg3r
07-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I think he'd pull it of well! although Id still prefer killer croc to be in it instead haha

mcgive nice sig ;)

Pyrochaos
07-02-2010, 03:06 PM
I see alot of people giving Robin Williams a "negative" in his bid for Riddler because of his body type difference from the comic version. I wonder if those same people thought Heath Ledger couldn't be the Joker because he wasn't toothpick thin like the comic book Joker?

When Heath was announced for the Joker, tons of people went batshit saying how terrible he was for the role. Then those same people slobbed his knob after the movie came out.

The same thing goes for Toby when he was announced for Spiderman 1. There are tons of examples of "the internet" going apeshit over a descision then doing a 180 after the movie is released.

D.A.N.
07-02-2010, 09:41 PM
A lot of people who are saying he isn't fitting to play Riddler, have you only seen Riddler in Batman Forever? Because all the old Batman villains were psychotic and crazy which is not what they are like in the comics. Jim Carrey didn't play the Riddler, he was just Jim Carrey in a Riddler suit, and it was awful. Two-Face, Penguin, and Mr. Freeze are others that fell into this lump of characters that were crazy and trying to be funny, and that is nothing like how their characters actually were.

I also remember when Heath Ledger was cast to play the Joker, tons of people were shooting it down immediately and thought The Dark Knight would suck just because of him being cast in that role. Now, do I think Robin Williams could play a fitting Riddler? Probably. Would he be my first choice? No.

HenryRivers
07-02-2010, 10:21 PM
I initially heard rumors of Eddie Murphy playing the Riddler, and I thought that would be amazing. But I've not heard anything recently... So I doubt its true.

Lord Montymort
07-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Clear fake, but I would LOVE it if David Tennant was Riddler, him or Johnny Depp would be perfect for the role, if Robin Williams got the role I will just give up on the Batman series for ever.

OG T UNIT
07-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Not a fan of Robin Williams for this role at all. He has the same problem as Carey did, he would try to plat it too silly. Nolan's Riddler should be super dark. Not in the least bit silly. The riddles were to prove that Edward Nigma is smarter then everybody else. He should be a beat down genius who snaps.

The perfect man for the role... Guy Pearce. Think about it. And Nolan has worked with him before (Memento), and you know how he likes to work with the same actors as he has in past movies.

THF_Reborn
07-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Not a fan of Robin Williams for this role at all. He has the same problem as Carey did, he would try to play it too silly. Nolan's Riddler should be super dark. Not in the least bit silly. The riddles were to prove that Edward Nigma is smarter then everybody else. He should be a beat down genius who snaps.

I agree, this role screams super dark, I'm not quite sure if Williams is the right guy for the job, but he seems a little unbalanced now, part of me is thinking that he just might have the darkness and insanity needed for the Riddler buried inside. He would have to get in shape tho. Whoever gets the part I'm sure Nolan won't let us down.

Back in may Nolan stated that Mr. Freeze and the Penguin would NOT be in the film

As far as rumored Riddler actors go my votes for Johnny Depp, Neil Patrick Harris, Hugh Laurie, or just maybe Seann William Scott