PDA

View Full Version : Good buy?

JRWEBBY
06-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Hi guys I have been wanting this game ever since I first started hearing of it and I was just wondering now that it has come out is it a good buy? I know Best Buy had it for $40 but now it seems to be $60 again. What do you guys think?

Z3R0 S1X
06-28-2010, 08:50 PM
I just finished it last night, diffinetly a buy. With DLC coming out, be sure to hang on to it as that should also be a great add on.

JRWEBBY
06-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Yeah I heard that the DLC that is coming out is going to be 560 microsoft points too so it's rather cheap. Hopefully they bring new achievements. I'll probably just end up buying it at Gamestop if I do since there it is $50.

Seddo
06-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah I heard that the DLC that is coming out is going to be 560 microsoft points too so it's rather cheap. Hopefully they bring new achievements. I'll probably just end up buying it at Gamestop if I do since there it is $50.
If you buy the game brand new then the first DLC piece is free.

I'm currently in a second playthrough and loving it, each chapter is quite long as well so definitely worth it for me.

oXI Chimera IXo
06-28-2010, 10:01 PM
No. It's not.

JRWEBBY
06-28-2010, 10:20 PM
No. It's not.

Care to explain rather than just saying no so I can see if there is anything wrong?

Mariner Mike 75
06-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I am 95% complete on the game and loving it. I was a little nervous about the game as well because originally when it was released everyone I know was playing Red Dead Redemption and the Xbox Live numbers on Major Nelson hasn’t shown it on the Top 20 games played for the week and most big releases do on release week. So I thought that maybe it was not as good as a game as I had thought. I went a head and made the purchase last week and am very glad I did.

If you haven’t heard this yet, when you do play it you have to set the mode. Play it in the dark and with out subtitles. Just as you would if you were at a movie theater because it just make the game all that better.

BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!

xBiG ReDx
06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi guys I have been wanting this game ever since I first started hearing of it and I was just wondering now that it has come out is it a good buy? I know Best Buy had it for $40 but now it seems to be $60 again. What do you guys think?
I was actually wondering the same thing. The game looks amazing but i tend to get bored of non multiplayer games or non rpg games that dont have replayablity. It looks good but is it a game where I will want to play it 2-3 over again??

oXI Chimera IXo
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Care to explain rather than just saying no so I can see if there is anything wrong?

Well the game has been in development for 5 years and it looks like they worked on it for a couple months. The graphics are mediocre, the mouths don't even match. The story is so surreal and bland, sure there may be "cool" moments, but nothing really pulled you in. I hardly cared about anything and the gameplay is so boring, killing lumberjacks get tiring after awhile. But if I had to say what was good about it...I couldn't due to the fact nothing stood out and made be go ,"oh Shit" like in ME2 or something. Maybe an okay rent or something, it was just boring and uninteresting. I know not everyone feels this way but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone except people that would want a reasonable 1000. Get something else, tons of better games to spend money on.

jasonwucj
06-30-2010, 07:42 AM
It depends. This game only does not contain multiplayer mode so the lasting appeal is not good. But as being a horrible game, I rank Top.1 to this game !!! :)

Ricka73
07-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Personally, I loved it.
My fiance' bought it for me for my B-Day, and I never stopped playing it until solved. Working on second run through on nightmare mode for that acheivement, and then will do an easy walkthrough to collect ones I missed along the way.

I thought the story really pulled you in, I found myself reacting to things in the game the way I would in real life... my girl chuckling the whole time.
Definately worth the money.

Fluffy McNutter
07-01-2010, 06:48 AM
I have mixed feelings about the game. I personally don't care for the survival horror type, so that ruined my experience.

As a game, I thought it was pretty good. The graphics, story and game play were smooth. My only problem was that the first three chapters were basically the same. "Run through the woods, use your flash light, kill stuff." With that said, I wouldn't recommend it as a buy. The replay value isn't very high unless you want to play it on hard and get all the achievements. I would suggest just renting it for a week or two.

plebeianprint
07-01-2010, 07:47 AM
I picked it up at Best Buy for $40 and I think that this game is amazing. Play it at night only, with the lights off and the sound way up. Play it alone. Last night the game made me jump 5 times in one chapter playing this way, and contrary to this paragraph, I don't scare easily.

If you don't like survival horror, then obviously this game is not for you. If you need multiplayer, then this game is not for you. While you never get that "first time" play again with survival horror, I will be playing this game a couple of times.

I respect other opinions, but the person that said there are no wow moments was probably not paying attention. I would list the ones that moved me, but it would be spoiler-esque. This game made me laugh a couple of times even.

Good stuff. I don't regret the buy at all, but it might b a rental for some. For those that were totally unmoved by this game, I actually feel kinda bad for them.

JRWEBBY
07-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys and yeah I did buy it and I must say I have not been disappointed. I love it so far it is so fun and it is really creepy at parts.

Eksy
07-03-2010, 04:12 AM
This was a game Steven and I debated getting new, and now that I have it Gamefly'd I'm sooo irritated he let his friend pressure him into getting Lost Planet 2 instead.

I just finished it and I have to say - this game is incredible. It borrows many cinematic techniques but uses a perfect blend of "movieness" and gameplay to create a very rememberable, chilling, experience. The pacing of the story was spot on and I was happy with the way it was broken up into Episodes. You really felt like shit got accomplished after a session of play, instead of feeling like you just disrupted the action. Of course at the start of the next chapter, you'd be greeted with the familiar "Previously on..." that would make fresh all the recent events in case it's been a couple of days.
[How you would be able to put this game down for so long, however, I do not know. :) ]

I found the combat enjoyable as well and I loved the use of flash bangs as the ultimate weapon against the Taken. Of course if you've read anything about this game, you already know the use of light is highly important so I shan't say anything more than it was pulled off beautifully.

Don't get me started on the music and overall sound design.
I'll just say I'm off to find myself the complete soundtrack. ;]

TLDR; Go buy it.

EDIT: I just saw you did buy it. Good man!

wario2295
07-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Buy it. Its truly a great game plus you get round one of the DLC for free.:woop:

Splatterer Ross
07-09-2010, 09:07 AM
I personally rented it because I only buy games with tens of hours of replayability, which this game does not have. Still my favorite game this year, by a long shot, the story is incredible. I just couldn't see myself doing a third playthrough after Nightmare mode, because, to be honest, the gameplay does get kind of repetitive after awhile and after finding out the story and putting two and two together on the second playthrough, it gets pretty old

Defkkon
07-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but my wife absolutely loves it. Not too hard, decent story, etc.

ParoXysm QC
07-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I wasn't sure but after all these comments, I will definitively buy it!
And does anybody know if it's an easy 1000G?

Big Robawt
07-11-2010, 05:05 AM
It's definitely a cake walk for 1000 in my opinion. Nothing to frustrating to take your hair out of your head.

JHavoc666
07-12-2010, 01:00 AM
The only difficult thing is nightmare mode, Which isnt really difficult at all. But it was a very fun game none the less.

Afflicted
07-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Awesome game for sure It had a Silent hill kinda vibe to it but its for sure worth it.

cutchinz
07-12-2010, 02:01 AM
I thought it was great, but I would recommend a rent instead of a buy because I played through it twice and got all the collectibles even the nightmare ones in five or so days. I still think its a very good game with few flaws but theres just not enough content to warrant a sixty dollar purchase.

X in 415
07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I thought it was great, but I would recommend a rent instead of a buy because I played through it twice and got all the collectibles even the nightmare ones in five or so days. I still think its a very good game with few flaws but theres just not enough content to warrant a sixty dollar purchase.
I agree. I had fun while I was playing, but after the 4th chapter, I kinda just wanted it to be over. That, along with pretty much the same level and mechanics hashed out over and over kinda makes me regret buying it, and wishing I rented it. Plus, I seem to be in the minority here, but I didnt think the story was that great.

Vermillion Haze
07-18-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm hating it right now. I wanted more tracking down clues, exploring the town, talking to the townsfolk and what did I get? Level after level of bland woods killing lumberjacks and squinting to see enemies in the dark. Plus the story is annoying...its like secret window meets silent hill.

Xenolith666
07-18-2010, 05:17 AM
I just recently picked it up through Gamestops 2 for 1 deal.. and I'm really liking it. Good story so far, is creepy as all hell.. and even my wife liked it! Now I'm looking forward to the DLC

Gamerguy2207
07-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Amazing Game so happy i bought the Limited Collectors edition!

GILLHUHN
07-25-2010, 07:11 PM
From all these comments it sounds like a made the right choice buying the collectors edition today.

master_shake_350
07-25-2010, 08:09 PM
This is the only game I have bought at full retail price in a long time and I have only played for 20 mins and I am liking it, I think it is worth it. The only downside to my purchase is that I bought it 3 days ago and didn't get the DLC for free.

Demoral
07-26-2010, 07:38 PM
One of the better games i have played, got hooked all the way through :)!

enilson
07-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Buy it. Its truly a great game plus you get round one of the DLC for free.:woop:

I thought you only got the first DLC for free if you bought the limited edition - not the normal edition - is that incorrect?

di mundio
07-27-2010, 09:44 AM
I thought you only got the first DLC for free if you bought the limited edition - not the normal edition - is that incorrect?

I bought the normal edition off the shelf on the day of release and got the DLC code included.

enilson
07-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I bought the normal edition off the shelf on the day of release and got the DLC code included.

Strange - when you look it up on Amazon - it doesn't mention it - but it DOES mention it for the limited edition - but that's Amazon. :p

Does the box say anything about that code being inside?

xenobite
07-27-2010, 08:57 PM
u should have if u buy it new the code for dlc is inside
key word is new not collectors
and its only for first dlc