PDA

View Full Version : Motion Sickness...

OhStressyJessy
06-29-2010, 04:07 AM
My boy and I have been playing AW for the past few weeks and loving it. I treat it as a movie or television show; the boyfriend plays and I watch. Unfortunately, I've noticed an upsetting trend while watching him play... I get terrible motion sickness.

I play a lot of games, both first- and third-person games, and this is the first and only time I have ever felt sick when playing or watching a game . It usually happens about 20 or 30 minutes into playing Alan Wake and we never play for longer than 45 minutes to an hour because of this. I think it might be a mix of the lighting and camera movements in game... but like I said, I've never had issues with something like this before.

Has anyone else had problems, or heard of problems like this, happening while playing Alan Wake or other games like it?

Delta438
06-29-2010, 07:56 AM
I feel the same after playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. Maybe it's from seeing that damn cape waving around. No problems with this game though.

iNf3Rn0 Lan
06-29-2010, 12:40 PM
My mom has a similar problem, but with the majority of games released for the Xbox 360. So at least this is only one game. And no, you're definitely not the only one who has this issue.

OhStressyJessy
06-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Well, glad to know I'm not the only one... and I am relieved that it only happens during this game! (Although, I wish it didn't happen at all!)

Sampson
07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Not really, but I get kind of dizzy from the game "Wet" because they feel that it's necessary to have the old time movie effect.

Cofc
07-01-2010, 10:46 PM
I think the nauseous effect is probably accentuated by watching someone else play. Some games have such floaty controls and camera perspectives, it's hard not to get sick. I think I may start keeping Dramamine handy.

Eksy
07-03-2010, 03:56 AM
Yar, I as said above, I think you're much more susceptible to nausea by not actually being in control of the movements.
I used to be that way years ago when I rode shotgun in my mother's car.
It was probably the heat too.
Hate the heat.
Aaanyway! Glad you toughed it - such an amazing game. ^^

GATORBLOOD77
07-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Used to happen to me on gears 2 and gta4

SickSiD0
07-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Happens to me in some shooters like Bioshock, Left 4 Dead....so dark and quick movements after like 45 minutes playing usually gets me a headache.
It's a petty I love both games.....
No problems with Alan Wake except at the start, got used to it pretty soon.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Not really, but I get kind of dizzy from the game "Wet" because they feel that it's necessary to have the old time movie effect.

you talking about the film grain? you know you can turn that off

really want to play alan wake, dont think I will get motion sickness from it...hopefully not as the game seems awesome

OniRyo
07-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I had this with Marathon the game from Bungie, i don't know if i still have it though but i was going to buy this full game if it was alright but i changed mind because i kept getting motion sick from the game, you can always take those pills just a suggestion which you take maybe in the car if you have that issue :)

OhStressyJessy
07-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Yar, I as said above, I think you're much more susceptible to nausea by not actually being in control of the movements.
I used to be that way years ago when I rode shotgun in my mother's car.
It was probably the heat too.
Hate the heat.
Aaanyway! Glad you toughed it - such an amazing game. ^^
Sometimes I get motion sick riding in the back of cars, never shotgun though! I must be some sort of motion-sickness freak, haha. And I'm glad I'm toughing it out too... AW is really awesome! I'm obsessed with the soundtrack. :3

Happens to me in some shooters like Bioshock, Left 4 Dead....so dark and quick movements after like 45 minutes playing usually gets me a headache.
I might end up taking Dramamine to help with the nausea and headaches while we play. But, like I said, this doesn't happen when I'm playing the game (Bioshock, for example, I can binge on for hours and be fine!). I bet it's a combination of the lighting and movements, as well as having no control over what's happening on the screen.

Flapjack Ninja
07-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Maybe take over the controls and see if you feel ill while playing it?

Mike Langlois
07-05-2010, 08:42 PM
AW is really awesome! I'm obsessed with the soundtrack. :3

Its soundtrack is awesome! I'v been looking for it online but cant seem to find it :(

Eksy
07-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Its soundtrack is awesome! I'v been looking for it online but cant seem to find it :(
I think it might be available on iTunes and it looks like Amazon is taking preorders on the actual disc.
Amazon.com: Alan Wake [Original Video Game Soundtrack]: Petri Alanko: Music

wario2295
07-06-2010, 09:07 AM
yeah none with this game but the shaky cam in gears making me sick sometimes though

Splatterer Ross
07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I haven't really gotten motion sickness during this game at all.. I just couldn't walk straight after playing for like 4 hours straight ;). The only game thats ever made me motion sick was Half Life 2 at the fanboat, just ruined the game for me

Professor Silly
07-08-2010, 06:32 PM
My wife often watches on the scarier/creepier games like Bioshock and Doom...and she also complained about getting motion sickness with Alan Wake. I'm guessing that it's a testament to the lighting--that it seems just real enough to fool the brain into thinking it's really moving.