PDA

View Full Version : Boogalooshrimp74's Sniper Ghost Warrior NO B$ Review

boogalooshrimp74
06-30-2010, 09:35 AM
This is my first review, so with that being said expect that. just finished the game and took some notes. Here it is.

You play obviously a sniper. It seemed the developer tried to encorporate this into the game, did they manage that? Read on.

Story:
Beats the hell out of me. Something about Nuclear weapons and a General guy. This is one of the weakest parts of this game. I knew i was a sniper, but who am i working for?(near the end of the game you "help an American Sniper". So with that missing you have a huge gap in the story. Upon missions you have some lady barking in your ear, but that does nothing to figure out the plot. With that said lets just say there is no plot, and you traverse levels, killing minions, till you reach the boss level(the general).

Gameplay:
How did i feel about this. I was split. If anyone out there remembers a game called Dues Ex Invisable war for the original xbox, this closely resembles that. Is that a bad thing? No, Is it a good thing? Umm... Could be better. I felt as if i wasn't in tune with my character, and the small amount that you interact with the environment, doesn't seem like im really doing anything. There are some major graphic engine glitches, such as(and people have mentioned this before) getting stuck in the water, and having trouble climbing a small hill to get out. Getting stuck when entering buildings, amongst others. Climbing ladders leaves something to be said, and climbing down ladders? Well forget it(at least I couldn't figure it out), just jump down and hope you have enough health to land it, cause ladders work only one way. What was very irritating was the fact that there was no map, no PDA if you will to tell you what to do next,would have been nice, but the waypoint markers did the job. I would have been nice to try to figure that stuff out on my own. This makes the game very short. you can practically run though each level and avoid all the gun fire to get to the next waypoint.
They tried to do the sniper thing. I think it works,BUT that depends on you. Do you want to play as a sniper, and wait around find the enemy and killem from far off? then do it. If you want to go in guns blazing, shoot fire ask questions later, then do it. I found this out half way through the game.
one last concern, and i probably shouldn't mention it, cause i have only beaten it on easy, but using the bullettime,to compensate for distance, windspeed, heartrate, all that good stuff is a great idea, and you only get the very cool cutscene following the bullet into the victims head, when doing all this, but it is not needed. Bummer, just put your cross hairs on the guy and shoot like 4 or 5 times, and would hit him. Kinda takes away from the whole sniper thing. What makes it worth it and fun are the cutscenes, and the reward of shooting someone in the head,watching the bullet travel to its destination, i hot a kick out of it everytime. Excellent part of the game!
Some of the levels are unique. spotting for another sniper, and vica versa. provide covering fire for and escaping truck was fun.

Graphics:
I was surprised at the graphics. This game was right up there with FarCry, with the lush tropical trees, and flowing rivers. I know developers are always looking to add realistic water effects to games, and they hit the mark. I would said they did somethings better. Character design, needs some major work. With games like MW2 pulling top honors, this game is under par. Faces looked somthing out of an early Tiger Woods 2001, and modeling could have used more detail. Guns look flat and bland, the only thing that would make them worse is if they were spinning with a brightly colored halo around them letting you know where they are ala Unreal Tourney. Character shadows also needed help, very blocky, and pixelated, but thats a minor concern, I was busy looking for the enemy, and the excellent level design. Due to the busy jungle, with all the leave and grass, enemy movement and location, are very difficult to spot. I liked this, as it seemed to add to the authicity(sp) of being in the jungle, and the point of camoflauge.

if this company decided to make Sniper 2 please do the following:

Have a good story, with characters you get emotionally attached to

Please ad muzzle flash when close up of cutscene.

Add some sort of wind being pushed out of the way as the bullet slices through the air, approaching the sound barrier kinda stuff

Fx the animations, apon killing someone with the bulletme, sometimes the enemy would pause for a brief sec, and the animation would break up as he is falling.

When the enemy is shooting at you sometimes he is no even facing you.

when being found make it so that not all of the enemys know your location, and all start shooting at you.

add a damn map, or PDA, and have a weapons load out, maybe some unlockable weapons,(what if i wanted to play the whole game with a shotgun, something different then the 5 or so different weapons.

GET RID OF THE GRAPPLING HOOK. NUFF SAID F'N LAME!!!

also i havent seen another FPS when you could blow off each limb since Soldier of fortune. this would have added a nice touch!!!!!

Should all these things detour someone from buying this game, no, but somethings should have been fixed before shipping like getting hung up on the terrain(getting out of the water, stuck entering buildings)

i am glad i played this game it is very well done amongst everything i have said. achievements are not hard to get, and you feel good about getting them. I would say next time, don't forget the small things.
i believe it is only $40 bones, and is very worth it.

thanks

Juiceh
06-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Instead of focusing on what they should've done, focus on the parts that are done. Also try to review a game in full, you should've atleast tried a few missions on all difficulties. Also check out the options a bit:

and you only get the very cool cutscene following the bullet into the victims head, when doing all this, but it is not needed.

you would've known it's possible to turn this bulletcam off.

Also enforce your text with arguements.
- Why does this game look like Dues Ex?
- Why is it a bad storyline?

Also explain the storyline in full, because even though it's rubish, it's still there and quite understandable. You fail to take out an important guy in the nuclear black market sector and now you have to create a new opportunity.

Also try to write in categories, because your write is really blurish and if I wanna read a part again, I would have to read the full article again to find that part.
Last thing: Try to rate everything. Alot of users don't read full articles, they just read some sentences and go right to the ratings.

boogalooshrimp74
06-30-2010, 12:15 PM
gotcha, your right, hated english in school, so anyways like i said my first try, so shouldn't expect much.

A Cow
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM
nice review , wondering if I should get it

Juiceh
06-30-2010, 02:02 PM
gotcha, your right, hated english in school, so anyways like i said my first try, so shouldn't expect much.

you'll get better at it, just don't become an IGN writer.

Downesey
06-30-2010, 05:50 PM
I dont agree in the slightest, the gameplay was stolen from modern warfare 2 and doesnt adapt well. enemies are psychic, level design was poor, and bottlenecked you into firefights. The amount of invisible walls i found, or low fences i came across that i couldnt move over, or rocks i could crawl or even crouch over i literally had t0 leap over in a stealth game.... really frustrated me. I love sniping, its what i do in fps games, and my instincts of hanging back and crawling through bushes or taking longer routes round, wer dashed by invisible walls that forced me to appear infront of enemies. Plenty of times i have been spotted by and enemy while i was hiding in bushes, or completely prone behind rocks. Its a broken engine, and if the developers do make anough money to make another...then they need to address the complete unsubtlety of this game, and rethink how gamers want to snipe

This game in not worth your money, and is horrible to play

Pr0ph3cy
06-30-2010, 06:01 PM
thread is fail anyway

boogalooshrimp74
06-30-2010, 06:55 PM
damn no reason to bash my review, i said it was my first one.

"ign writer" thanks

and i did mention getting stuck, and i don't think it was bottlenecked. talk about bottlenecked, i'll bet you liked Halo. that game is the most overrated of all time. i would rather play this than any halo game

D x NICE
06-30-2010, 08:08 PM
I agree with your review the game play is sketchy. The enemy being able to see me when I'm in bushes or behind something is very frustrating, the amount of noise you make when walking is unbelievable, when you hear the word "sniper" you think of being hidden and moving silently all of which this game has none of. It is any easy game for achievements so if that is all anyone wants then rent or pick it up used do not pay full price for it.

http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/D+x+NICE.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/D+x+NICE)

Headkaze
06-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Cheers for the review man. Not a game for the long term i assume. Sounds like a situation of multiplayer achievements first though; before the scene disappears.
Thanks for the insights!

SlySi1976
06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
yeah good review m8. thx. am getting mine friday form gamestation (uk) there they have a 10 day policy, so i was thinking ill keep it until the following friday when ill just swap it straight over for crackdown 2

boogalooshrimp74
07-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the positive comments. Like i mentioned at the start of my review it was my first one ever, and that I am not a English major.

all I can say is atleast I tried.

i forgot to give it a ranking knew i forgot something.:)

umm maybe 7.2 outta 10

bjh_27
07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
i'll bet you liked Halo. that game is the most overrated of all time. i would rather play this than any halo game

i have to agree with you there (talking about single player only of course), i like what little I have seen of this game

yes, it is a little budget, but it has a nice feel and look to it mostly

jamie1000013
07-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Also you didn't mention multiplayer or achievements (maybe achievements aren't needed but on this site they are :-). Anyway very good review might get it anyway because it's already dirt cheap and hasn't even come out yet :-).

DoubleA Ron2222
07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I just wanted to thank you for your opinion. I was curious about this game as I see a lot if games come out every week and I like FPS's. I think you did a fine job. Don't know why people are talking sh*t. Great work!

boogalooshrimp74
07-03-2010, 09:30 AM
its all good, least i tried.

yeah i didn't add any multiplayer, reviews or anything, im running a Jtagged box, and can't get online.

Mr Celtwii
07-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Cheers for the write up!

Still not sure to buy it or not tho lol.

BlindxLink
07-04-2010, 04:04 AM
I dont agree in the slightest, the gameplay was stolen from modern warfare 2 and doesnt adapt well. enemies are psychic, level design was poor, and bottlenecked you into firefights. The amount of invisible walls i found, or low fences i came across that i couldnt move over, or rocks i could crawl or even crouch over i literally had t0 leap over in a stealth game.... really frustrated me. I love sniping, its what i do in fps games, and my instincts of hanging back and crawling through bushes or taking longer routes round, wer dashed by invisible walls that forced me to appear infront of enemies. Plenty of times i have been spotted by and enemy while i was hiding in bushes, or completely prone behind rocks. Its a broken engine, and if the developers do make anough money to make another...then they need to address the complete unsubtlety of this game, and rethink how gamers want to snipe

This game in not worth your money, and is horrible to play

I understand it's a sniper/stealth game, but it would be extremely fucking boring if you could just walk around on all of the levels. Do you know what I mean?

I'm not defending this game, just figured I'd throw that out since you get mad at getting shot at in a first person shooter game.

DRAV3N UK
07-04-2010, 09:44 AM
A good first review. with some really valid points. I kinda like the bullet time slow mo, reminds me of Sniper Elite on the Playstation but it's odd when it seems to be random but satisfying when it happens.

Getting stuck on scenery is my biggest gripe with this game, crawling for ages like in 'Steal from under their noses' level only to get stuck on a twig, have to stand up or jump, to then be seen - terrible bug.

The enemy A.I. are as you all say annoying too with their ability to see you from miles away and face to the opposite direction whilst still shooting you.

Ladders can be used by looking down them and slowly moving to the edge to get down, again it's frustrating.

I have nearly finished the medium difficulty and assume hard mode will be much more challenging, the story (what story!) is over very quickly.

As for multiplayer, not as fun as Snipe Elite was but a decent challenge - not a long term one however.

Overall, I got enjoyment out of playing but can see this being quickly traded in assuming something is out this week or next.

Oh and the lack of decent sniper rifles is poor for a 'Sniper' game - wheres the Barratt 0.50cal - c'mon we all want that one!

XxBlueSpade2xX
07-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh and the lack of decent sniper rifles is poor for a 'Sniper' game - wheres the Barratt 0.50cal - c'mon we all want that one!

That was my first thought. I wanted the .50, but I've heard that the developers were going for more "realism" which means using a .308 (I'm pretty sure).

xWTHx xSHADOWx
08-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Good review, agreed on most points, althought the whole "shoot 4 times and you will eventually hit them" thing is hard to believe as i have played on easy and if you take your time and use focus you wouldn't miss, also note that easy mode has a slight aim assist.

BTW you do use a "Accuracy International AS50" which is your 50.cal when you have to stop the convoy

leeingham
09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
I went into Game yesterday with the aim to try and pick this up second hand as I saw it for 24.99 in their promotional week offer thing.

I went in yesterday and couldnt see the poster so I asked the guy behind the counter if they had any left. He said to be honest mate its cheaper buying it brand new at the minute as it has been dropped to 24.99 new and currently stands at 29.99 preowned

So I got it brand new and if I dont like it after a play today I will take it to Gamestation and get them to pricematch CEX +1 making it 21. 4 is a hit im prepared to take on it really if its rubbish as I know how bad Game are at exchanging opened games within a few day period