PDA

View Full Version : The new guitar controller

J Lo
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Okay, so, if you have been paying attention to the immense amount of changes Rock Band has been making to their series with the upcoming release of Rock Band 3, you will know that Rock Band's new guitar controller will actually have strings that will sense where your fingers are for a more realistic guitar playing experience. Now, I was just looking at screenshots of this guitar and, not to my surprise, all of the screenshots featured a right handed guitar. Now, I play guitar and I'm a lefty, which made me raise the question: 'How will a lefty be able to play on this new controller?' Are all of the strings the same size so Lefty Flip would be an easy switch? Will the neck be able to somehow be switched for lefties to play? Does anyone have any idea how this will work? I'm extremely good at these rhythm games and I really want to venture into this Pro Mode that they speak of with this new controller, but I don't want the fact that I'm Lefty restraining me to do so.

~Jeff Loftus

TwistedFate
06-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Okay, so, if you have been paying attention to the immense amount of changes Rock Band has been making to their series with the upcoming release of Rock Band 3, you will know that Rock Band's new guitar controller will actually have strings that will sense where your fingers are for a more realistic guitar playing experience. Now, I was just looking at screenshots of this guitar and, not to my surprise, all of the screenshots featured a right handed guitar. Now, I play guitar and I'm a lefty, which made me raise the question: 'How will a lefty be able to play on this new controller?' Are all of the strings the same size so Lefty Flip would be an easy switch? Will the neck be able to somehow be switched for lefties to play? Does anyone have any idea how this will work? I'm extremely good at these rhythm games and I really want to venture into this Pro Mode that they speak of with this new controller, but I don't want the fact that I'm Lefty restraining me to do so.

~Jeff Loftus

The Squier is a real guitar, we haven't heard if there is a left and right handed version, but you will be able to restring it so it works for you.

The actual Pro Controller by Mad Catz can be easily flipped. It only has the 6 strings on the body at the bridge position and they are the same size.

J Lo
06-30-2010, 07:06 PM
The Squier is a real guitar, we haven't heard if there is a left and right handed version, but you will be able to restring it so it works for you.

The actual Pro Controller by Mad Catz can be easily flipped. It only has the 6 strings on the body at the bridge position and they are the same size.

So there's going to be two different controllers? Do both of them have strings or no? And if I wanted to play Pro Mode, which guitar would I buy: the Squier or the Mad Catz controller or does either one work fine?

~Jeff Loftus

TwistedFate
06-30-2010, 07:41 PM
So there's going to be two different controllers? Do both of them have strings or no? And if I wanted to play Pro Mode, which guitar would I buy: the Squier or the Mad Catz controller or does either one work fine?

~Jeff Loftus

They both work with Pro Mode. The Mad Catz has 6 strings mounted on the body only. The neck has 6 buttons per fret, over 17 frets, simulating the 6 strings that would normally be there.

The Squier is an actual Squier Strat with touch sensors under the frets that determine which string you have fretted.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=3189555&postcount=32

Here are some pics of the new instruments. You can't really see the neck of the Mad Catz guitar though, but if you look close you can see a couple of the buttons.

The interesting thing is the Mad Catz has MIDI out, meaning you could use it as a real guitar as well, if you run it through MIDI software first. I wouldn't try gigging with it, except as a joke, but if someone (not you, you already said you played) wanted to toy around with playing for real, they could use that one if that was all they had.