PDA

View Full Version : Sell Fixed RROD to Gamestop?

BR10z
07-02-2010, 12:54 AM
So my friend gave me an Xbox that was RROD. I decided to do the twoel trick and got it working again. I'm thinking of going to Gamestop and trading it in but I don't want it to Red Ring when I get there. That would be embarassing. Should I take the risk?

credible
07-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Most def! Bring a handcam, potential hilariousness ensues.

Starstrukk X360A
07-02-2010, 01:09 AM
What they don't know won't hurt them.
Sucks for whoever buys it, though.

credible
07-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I'd be furious. And I guess Gamestop keeps a pretty tight record of who's delivered a system and when. So I guess there's a chance that your plans comes back and bite you in the ass. In addition, you'll add to your bad karma :D

rhinojosh
07-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Hilariosity > bad karma... and down with the Gamestapo.

AltruismIsDead
07-02-2010, 03:01 AM
How about either option A) If it is still under warranty (which I am guessing it is not) send it into Microsoft to get fixed, or B) search online or youtube for the X Clamp fix, and fix it yourself.

All you need is some nuts and bolts, some thermal compound for the heat syncs, some washers and possibly some other misc stuff you can find at a hardware store for cheap. You can find websites that tell you exactly what type of materials you need, the diameters etc and step by step instructions on how to fix it.

So yeah, even though you might not be selling it to Gamestop if you fix it yourself and void the warrenty but why would you when they'd probably give you a couple dollars for it with their hilariously underpriced trade in values? In return you'll have a spare Xbox that you can have incase yours breaks down, or if friends/family etc want to get some multiplayer gaming going on, or even for self boosting.

gamerguy69
07-02-2010, 03:43 AM
I'm guessing alot of these things are initially NOT out of warranty but rather that the owners are just so impatient and at a loss when it comes to losing their precious 360 that they attempt a quick fix to quickly get it working again.

I had a friend who had the E74 error last year (on his barely 2 year old console) and he did the towel tricks for a few months until it finally literally melted.

He knew nothing of the 3 year warranty. /facepalm

VisionsOfDemise
07-02-2010, 03:51 AM
How about either option A) If it is still under warranty (which I am guessing it is not) send it into Microsoft to get fixed, or B) search online or youtube for the X Clamp fix, and fix it yourself.

All you need is some nuts and bolts, some thermal compound for the heat syncs, some washers and possibly some other misc stuff you can find at a hardware store for cheap. You can find websites that tell you exactly what type of materials you need, the diameters etc and step by step instructions on how to fix it.

So yeah, even though you might not be selling it to Gamestop if you fix it yourself and void the warrenty but why would you when they'd probably give you a couple dollars for it with their hilariously underpriced trade in values? In return you'll have a spare Xbox that you can have incase yours breaks down, or if friends/family etc want to get some multiplayer gaming going on, or even for self boosting.

Hate to tell you but the x-clamp replacement fix doesn't even work. Not on its own. Realistically the CPU and GPU needs to be reflowed or reballed.

There are probably a ton of professional people on Craigslist who can reball or reflow the GPU/CPU with an IR station. You don't want to give it to some muppet with a towel and an x-clamp replacement kit. It'll work for an hour or two at the most.

XXII Death IIXX
07-02-2010, 03:51 AM
I personaly do not have a problem with you doing it.

But a quick question; where did you get the false ID to use? My local Gamestop requires an ID for trade-ins. The next owner will bring it back, and guess who they will call then.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Doesnt gamestop just refurbish the consoles anyways?

If it does get returned by someone who bought it they wont go looking after you, its their fault for buying a faulty console (gamestop, not person)...they are suppose to be checking these things when you trade it in

the only reason they require your information is if it is found out to be stolen, so then they will look for you

as long as the console wasnt ever opened and doesnt red ring when they test it, they will take it...and im 99.9% sure that nothing will ever fall back on you if it red rings when someone else gets it...they will just swap it and send that one in to get fixed

josherpillage
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
as a FORMER gamestop manager, i will tell you right now that trading it in is the best way to go, as long as it doesnt RR while they take the 20 seconds to test it.

Even if the system is resold than returned because of the RR, it will not fall back on you, they will not call you, and you will not get in trouble. For all they know, the system red ringed while the new customer had it, not you. An ID is also ONLY required on cash trades, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Spanish Assault
07-02-2010, 03:48 PM
is the seal still in tact? I'm not familiar with the "towel trick" so I don't know if you have to open the xbox to do that.

TVthePunisher
07-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Heh, I walked into a Gamestop yesterday to ask about selling this Elite with the E74 error and they said "No can do, boss"...well, not those words but they instead gave me an option to get it fixed somewhere...I don't want it fixed, I want to sell it and my white model for a damn 360 Slim! Well, they're only prepared to give me 45 bucks down with my white model so damn it that's 250 I'd still need...I'd also like to note that any store I've been to so far hasn't even advertised the slim (I'm talking Walmart, Bestbuy)...no sticker for it, no nothing...I don't get it.

And here I was under the impression that trade-in values meant something...talk about a stupid way to think ~_~

Jethrow
07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
read the fineprint on the reciept, you could be liable for charges anywhere from 1 - 3 months after you sell it. just check to make sure.

Blah 2k
07-02-2010, 08:13 PM
To start with, that just seems so wrong. Secondly, if you did indeed get the towel trick to work to get the 360 working long enough for them to test it, your not going to get much of a trade value on it anyway, dumb idea IMO

Spanish Assault
07-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Heh, I walked into a Gamestop yesterday to ask about selling this Elite with the E74 error and they said "No can do, boss"...well, not those words but they instead gave me an option to get it fixed somewhere...I don't want it fixed, I want to sell it and my white model for a damn 360 Slim! Well, they're only prepared to give me 45 bucks down with my white model so damn it that's 250 I'd still need...I'd also like to note that any store I've been to so far hasn't even advertised the slim (I'm talking Walmart, Bestbuy)...no sticker for it, no nothing...I don't get it.

And here I was under the impression that trade-in values meant something...talk about a stupid way to think ~_~
game stop is the biggest rip off in the world. I wish I bought stock in it years ago. I only buy new games and really old ones (after I check eBay and Craigslist first and pricing is similar). I NEVER trade and here is an example. I had Soul Calibur 4 and saw they were selling it for $24.95 so I figured maybe they give me $10 (thats $15 profit over 100%) and they told me they would give me a "couple of dollars"...are you kidding me?

Yet the masses still trade in games all the time. I bought Assassins creed for $35 on ebay and sold it for $41 after a week. That is how you do it.

tweak4ever
07-03-2010, 12:16 AM
I once sold them a broken cube controller, they never called me to get their money back, therefore, it should be ok