PDA

View Full Version : What's the one band you can always rely on for a good album?

ApochWeiss
07-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Over the years, I've developed plenty of personal favorites as far as bands go. However, there are very, very few that continuously put out exceptional albums that I find highly entertaining, even when I break them down for review on my site (which often will ruin an album I like because I didn't pay close enough attention until that review). Some of the most impressive bands I've ever heard have all put out an album for one reason or another that let me down, though I own it and their entire discography, like Evergrey, Cradle of Filth, Annihilator, Carnal Forge, and many more.

However, there's one band that never fails me, even though some have gripes with their newer material, and that band is Blind Guardian. I just got their Imaginations from the Other Side album, and it's just so fantastic, I'm on my third time through it since I got my mail about 4 hours ago. Their new single, which I bought the MP3s of on-line, is also highly enjoyable and promises great things for their upcoming album. I almost have all their full-lengths, I have their debut coming yet, and need to buy their second yet and it'll be complete.

Anyone else out there have a favorite band that has not failed you yet? NOT A BAND WITH ONE OR TWO CDS! I'm talking about established acts with more then two, maybe three releases.

LIST ONE BAND ONLY! That's what the thread says, it's what I did, and what is being asked of you. ;)

tweak4ever
07-02-2010, 05:24 AM
well, as I am a big punk and ska guy, I'd have to go with Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, and Blink-182

DOOKH8R
07-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Weird Al Yankovic

Pootcrum
07-02-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm gonna go with Queens of the Stone Age or Tool.

mcgive
07-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Fear Factory and Tool.

Starstrukk X360A
07-02-2010, 03:52 PM
A lot of bands, actually. Most of them are bands that I've loved for god knows how long (namely AFI and Linkin Park.)

Whoo personal preference.

Jemocasa
07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
I would have to say Kamelot. The first time I heard them was The Black Halo CD. I then went and got their back catalogue and am eagerly awaiting their new release.

veece16
07-02-2010, 04:01 PM
well, as I am a big punk and ska guy, I'd have to go with Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, and Blink-182

Definitely Blink-182, Insomnium has had some good stuff over the years too.

Argoff
07-02-2010, 04:10 PM
:uzi:Bullet for my valentine:uzi:

DarkestofFlames
07-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Primordial: all of their albums are outstanding. I feel this band just keeps getting better.
Agalloch, Neurosis, Clutch, High On Fire, Cathedral, and Electric Wizard have always released very solid albums that have never disappointed me.
I wish I could say Iron Maiden, since they have been my favorite band for ages. But they've released some stinkers so I worry a little before every new album release.

Pentexrx8
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Rammstein. All of their albums have been great.

Neverender
07-02-2010, 05:51 PM
A Day to Remember
Dream Theater
Honor Bright
New Found Glory
A Skylit Dive
Sum 41
VersaEmerge

Can't think of any others right now, but most of the bands I listen to only have 1-2 albums out...

Xerofox
07-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, always great songs and good albums.

Gorilla Stomper
07-02-2010, 06:38 PM
The Acacia Strain have never ever disappointed me, and neither have Terror or Ion Dissonance.

Joker0fLife
07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Lamb of God
Parkway Drive
Disturbed
A Perfect Circle
Chevelle
Mudvayne
Static-X
Trivium

I was gonna say Five Finger Death Punch, but they only have 2 CDs :(

Burning Karma
07-03-2010, 03:17 AM
*waits for Apoch to reply*

Metallica (never failed me; I do enjoy St. Anger - what a shocker!) and Tool (and, by extension, anything Maynard has done). Been listening and favoriting them long enough to qualify. There are loads of other bands I enjoy, but I'll keep it to these two.

Schism
07-03-2010, 03:19 AM
TOOL and A Perfect Circle. maybe Deftones

circus1776
07-03-2010, 03:31 AM
Blind Guardian, Poets of the Fall, and can I still count The Beatles? :P

Red Testament
07-03-2010, 05:12 AM
I'm shaking me head at some of the people's choices, but I'll keep my opinion to myself For me:

Between the Buried and Me
Tool
Chevelle
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Mastodon

I'm sure I'm forgetting many others.

ApochWeiss
07-03-2010, 09:05 AM
*waits for Apoch to reply*

Metallica (never failed me; I do enjoy St. Anger - what a shocker!) and Tool (and, by extension, anything Maynard has done). Been listening and favoriting them long enough to qualify. There are loads of other bands I enjoy, but I'll keep it to these two.

No no, not gonna say anything, this is a personal choice thread, not gonna insert my own personal belief, even if it's about friggin' BMFV...

However...

THE ONE BAND! ONE!!! NOT 5-10 BANDS!!! READ THE OP!

What is the ONE band that has never failed you, the one you love the most out of all the bands you have heard and every CD, EP, Single, Split, DVD, has always greatly entertained you to the point of sitting down and listening to it for hours, days, weeks, months on end.

One.

Neverender
07-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, if you're gonna make us narrow it down, I'd say A Day to Remember. Honestly, I can't name a single song by them I couldn't listen to for at least an hour without getting bored. All of the other bands I listed have at least one mediocre song.

Purge
07-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm gonna go with Queens of the Stone Age or Tool.

Yes, both of these bands produce only good albums.

Syppress
07-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Pig Destroyer have never disappointed me.

The Acacia Strain have never ever disappointed me, and neither have Terror or Ion Dissonance.
Ion Dissonance -- I wasn't a fan of the newer material after Gab left. Solace is still a masterpiece though.

Agalloch, Neurosis, Clutch, High On Fire, Cathedral, and Electric Wizard have always released very solid albums that have never disappointed me.
Beautiful list.

laundryman
07-03-2010, 08:15 PM
For me it would probably be Breaking Benjamin. I thoroughly enjoy all of their albums. Dear Agony was incredible and I definitely cannot wait until they start working on the next one.

oDrPepper
07-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Without a doubt it would be Kamelot. It's good to see them mentioned in the thread already, for a band that produces such exceptional music they are quite underrated.

YouTube- Kamelot - Center Of The Universe (Live)

The Destroyernatorer
07-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Radiohead, Nirvana, Circa Survive, Slipknot, Crime in Stereo, Silversun Pickups, Foo Fighters, Tool, Jack off Jill and Scarling.

In fact, I can hardly think of a bad song from any of them.

Just my opinion though.

BarbaricGoose
07-04-2010, 04:39 AM
I can say, beyond the shadow of a doubt, Ayreon. Never disappointed me. Not a single song that I don't love.

ChaosGod87
07-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Gotta go with Iron Maiden. Love everything they have put out.

Joker0fLife
07-04-2010, 06:21 AM
If I had to narrow it down, I'd say Disturbed. I like all of their songs.

ApochWeiss
07-04-2010, 07:12 AM
For me it would probably be Breaking Benjamin. I thoroughly enjoy all of their albums. Dear Agony was incredible and I definitely cannot wait until they start working on the next one.

Then you're gonna hate to hear that Breaking Benjamin broke up and when I heard the news I did a naked victory dance around a sombraro (mexican hat, not sure on the spelling) in total glee while covering myself in honey for the god of good fortune. Well...ok, maybe not naked and covered in honey, but it almost came down to that! I just didn't have any honey...

Neverender
07-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Breaking Benjamin didn't break up (proof (http://www.rttnews.com/Content/EntertainmentNews.aspx?Section=2&Id=1350532&SM=1)). Not to say that it would be a big loss if they did...

BedCommando
07-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Can't think of a single one. Even my precious Fear Factory have released bad albums.
If you would have asked me 4 years ago, I could of said Dodheimsgard, but Supervillain Outcast was released and so there goes that.

exo-apollo
07-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Radiohead has failed to disappoint me yet. I know Pablo Honey wasn't too great, but it was I only started listening to them after The Bends and they haven't released a bad album once since then. Even their cds with B sides are excellent.

The Destroyernatorer
07-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Radiohead has failed to disappoint me yet. I know Pablo Honey wasn't too great, but it was I only started listening to them after The Bends and they haven't released a bad album once since then. Even their cds with B sides are excellent.

Pablo Honey was raw. That doesn't mean it wasn't great. It was their first album, and obviously they've evolved since, but they have nothing else like it and it's a classic rock album.

But yeah, completely agree. Even Thom Yorke's solo album was good.

Qonok
07-04-2010, 04:58 PM
My favorite all-time band that I own every single CD from is Styx. My only complaint is that Dennis Deyoung isn't with the band anymore.

ApochWeiss
07-05-2010, 04:43 AM
Breaking Benjamin didn't break up (proof (http://www.rttnews.com/Content/EntertainmentNews.aspx?Section=2&Id=1350532&SM=1)). Not to say that it would be a big loss if they did...

...Remind me to smack Ben if I ever see him. Fucker needs to clarify next time he opens his mouth. I live a stones throw away from where the band is and know many people who hang with him, so when I see about 4 people he knows saying BB broke up, I typically accept that as fact since they never lied yet.

Pootcrum
07-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Can't think of a single one. Even my precious Fear Factory have released bad albums.
If you would have asked me 4 years ago, I could of said Dodheimsgard, but Supervillain Outcast was released and so there goes that.

I dunno, I wouldn't say that Fear Factory have released bad albums, but definitely bad songs.

I will quite happily listen to any Fear Factory album but just skip the songs that let it down.

BedCommando
07-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I dunno, I wouldn't say that Fear Factory have released bad albums, but definitely bad songs.

I will quite happily listen to any Fear Factory album but just skip the songs that let it down.
Digimortal
Transgression

Next!

ApochWeiss
07-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Digimortal
Transgression

Next!

Digimortal wasn't necessarily a BAD album, it had a few bogus songs on it, but for the most part even those were kinda fun. However, Transgressiojn? Total shift fest, so I agree with you on that one completely.

B1GM13
07-05-2010, 03:05 PM
right so i've got to put down one band that's had more than 2-3 albums that have been consistently good IMO.

well i'd put A Day To Remember but seeing as they dont count as it's only 3 albums i'll go with...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AdQCqPdD2wc/R2MQ51E7EDI/AAAAAAAAAII/VMU_D9PAkZU/S660/Slipknot_logo+este.jpg

animeaddict42
07-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Green Day hasn't let me down yet, I've found interest and fun in all of their albums. Red Hot Chili Peppers always make amazing albums, though I still haven't heard their first two. Gorillaz have always had great albums, though all of them were growers for me. Besides that, every band I've listened to has had one dud for me.

Corrupt.
07-05-2010, 08:28 PM
The Prodigy. Still mint ;)

Typeonegativ71
07-05-2010, 08:49 PM
New Model Army. They have been around 30 years and are consistently awesome. They put on a fantastic show too.

Neverender
07-05-2010, 10:49 PM
well i'd put A Day To Remember but seeing as they dont count as it's only 3 albums i'll go with...

A Day to Remember has 5 albums. And Their Name Was Treason, For Those Who Have Heart, Homesick, Old Album, and Attack of the Killer B-Sides.

And your next choice is Slipknot? Honestly, I don't understand why anyone likes them...

Pootcrum
07-06-2010, 03:27 AM
Transgression

Oh yeh, damn my selective memory.

Revolver
07-06-2010, 03:31 AM
:woop: Nine Inch Nails :woop:

Sir JL
07-06-2010, 03:49 AM
116 Clique

Apoc84
07-06-2010, 04:16 AM
TOOL I've seen it on some other post after some other bands. But if you ask me they are in a league of there own. I read the title of this thread and it was the only one without a question. If you put me on an island with nothing else it would be TOOL. Thats my ONE band. King of everything. When the End of Days comes they will be the ones on my Ipod.

P.S. BB didn't break up. Put your clothes back on. Your scaring the children.

B1GM13
07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
A Day to Remember has 5 albums. And Their Name Was Treason, For Those Who Have Heart, Homesick, Old Album, and Attack of the Killer B-Sides.

And your next choice is Slipknot? Honestly, I don't understand why anyone likes them...

allright smart ass... "and their name was treason" isnt available in places in the UK, only one's seen instores are "Old Record", "For those who have heart" and "Homesick"

and pull the stick outa your ass. alot of people do like Slipknot!

Neverender
07-06-2010, 10:38 AM
allright smart ass... "and their name was treason" isnt available in places in the UK, only one's seen instores are "Old Record", "For those who have heart" and "Homesick"

and pull the stick outa your ass. alot of people do like Slipknot!

And Their Name Was Treason is pretty much the original version of Old Record. They just re-recorded it for their new label with some remixing because the original went out of print/press/whatever. Attack of the Killer B-Sides was only recently released, and I've only seen it available on the Victory Records site (which is where I got it from). The other two might very well not be available in stores in the UK (or at all). I just wanted to point out that ADTR qualifies, because that's what I put for my answer.

And I know a lot of people like Slipknot. I just don't understand why. The vocalist is "meh" (although he is OK in Stone Sour), and everything else is just basic metal played faster, which several other bands do better. I guess the layers of guitars/drums makes them kind of unique, but I just don't get what makes them so special.

Sparksparks
07-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Streetlight Manifesto.. an incredible ska band that I could listen to on repeat for hours.. They are much more serious than most ska/punk bands, and their raw talent is remarkable.

Aceman417
07-07-2010, 11:21 AM

That has to be the band that in my opinion has gone downhill with their albums. Can always rely on Parkway Drive though... Aussie tour in September is gonna rock.

deEeuwigeJood
07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Soft Machine I guess...

MrSpanner
07-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Arctic Monkeys, Pendulum... both have made 3 albums each, and all 6 are great.

jonesylad84
07-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Bloc Party.....although Kele has gone rogue and making his own music now....not too bad either!!

GiantBallofOil
07-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Dream Theater

:rock

Joewl45
07-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Queens Of The Stone Age, I've pretty much not stopped listening to them for the past 3 months. To be honest, any album that Josh Homme is involved with (Eagles Of Death Metal, Them Crooked Vultures) is going to turn out awesome.

x MrsMassacre x
07-08-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm shaking me head at some of the people's choices, but I'll keep my opinion to myself For me:

Between the Buried and Me
Tool
Chevelle
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Mastodon

I'm sure I'm forgetting many others.

Dillinger put out a shit cd once.(my opinion)

The Black Dahlia Murder. They never fail me. I hate how some metal and/or hardcore bands will be good for years, then they put out a new album and they start singing.ugh. There have been so many bands that have done that and it drives me crazy.

Hooch9
07-08-2010, 10:03 PM
I'd have to go with The Offspring, Rush, and the Aquabats. They're pretty solid groups.

Aeope
07-09-2010, 01:43 AM
Metallica, I actually enjoyed their 90's albums and St. Anger. They have a sound that can't be damaged, only made too loud. lol :p

The Destroyernatorer
07-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Arctic Monkeys, Pendulum... both have made 3 albums each, and all 6 are great.

Got to disagree. Arctic Monkey's first album was great, the second was good, but the last was woeful. Pendulum's first and third albums are tripe too. In Silico is amazing though.

Got to disagree with this too. The first album was exceptional, I really love it. The second was a step down, and not very consistent. The most recent one is an absolute tragic mess.

ApochWeiss
07-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Dillinger put out a shit cd once.(my opinion)

The Black Dahlia Murder. They never fail me. I hate how some metal and/or hardcore bands will be good for years, then they put out a new album and they start singing.ugh. There have been so many bands that have done that and it drives me crazy.

I felt anything after Diller's debut EP and first CD were bad. THe new one's pretty good though. Also, with BDM, I found Miasma to be a bit of a let down, and heard the new one's not that good. Can't listen to 'em the same way anymore, same with DMF, so I can't pass judgement haha.

A ZombieTwinkie
07-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Lamb of God hasn't disappointed me yet. I've got every album from Burn the Priest to the Hourglass Anthology that they just released. And I could easily listen to every album straight through. Can't wait to see them again at Mayhem.

HLR zdmetal
07-11-2010, 06:03 AM
Death! I just love that band man. I don't think I have all their albums but the ones I have are some of my favorites.

The Destroyernatorer
07-11-2010, 02:57 PM
The Birthday Massacre. That's another one. I really like all of their albums.

Noddlez
07-12-2010, 12:36 PM
It's hard to say but I'd have to go for Slayer or Deicide.

Tempetz
07-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Come on, no The Roots yet?!?! What the heck you guys smokin' damn...

But yeah, The Roots never fails to disappoint me. Their ambition is completely on that other level. I'd also claim same for De La Soul and OutKast.