PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Super Hero Movie Sequels...

OG T UNIT
07-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Do you ever notice how in almost all super hero movies, they get progressively worse. Dark Knight is a rare exception, but all the older Batman movies had this same problem. Instead of making a good story they just add more and more villains and sidekicks.

Batman - Joker
Batman Returns - Penguin, Catwomen
Batman Forever - Two-Face, Riddler, Robin
Batman and Robin - Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Robin, Batgirl

Spiderman - The Green Goblin
Spiderman 2 - Doc Oc, Harry
Spiderman 3 - Goblin, Sandman, and Venom

Purge
07-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Spiderman 2 was better than Spiderman 1?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the hobgoblin in the third Spiderman film?

Lord Yamikage
07-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Do you ever notice how in almost all super hero movies, they get progressively worse. Dark Knight is a rare exception, but all the older Batman movies had this same problem. Instead of making a good story they just add more and more villains and sidekicks.

[...]

Idea of a squeal is bigger and better, right? Well, I believe so, that's why I think studio brings in more hero and villain. Also bringing new character(s) into sequel is like tradition now, isn't it? The problem with superhero sequel is that I believe they think they can just add more hero and villain, and the movie will be great or something. They deliver poor story, and in result the superhero and villain looks bad - in my opinion. Looking forward for the batman 3. Come on.... two more years....

NYmasajista
07-14-2010, 09:01 PM
But the second Spiderman, Batman and X-Men movies were better than the first.

sixgun91
07-14-2010, 09:20 PM
incredible hulk was 100 times better than HULK. and hellboy 2 was better than hellboy 1. as was X2 better than x-men. sooo...ya. :D

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-14-2010, 09:25 PM
well its not really exclusive to all superhero movies, a lot of the time any sequel sucks

I want to know how video games consistently make good sequels and movies cant

elephantd
07-16-2010, 07:32 AM
well its not really exclusive to all superhero movies, a lot of the time any sequel sucks

I want to know how video games consistently make good sequels and movies cant

Erm I think it's even. All of sequels of video games blow. Not all, but not all movie sequels blow either.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Erm I think it's even. All of sequels of video games blow. Not all, but not all movie sequels blow either.

hmmm almost always I like the sequel better than the original when it comes to games

id say at least 80% of th time the sequel is better, because they learn from the mistakes of the original

movies on the other hand try to up the ante and make it bigger and better, but fail 80% of the time to actually improve on the original

Pyrochaos
07-16-2010, 03:45 PM
A sequel in the movie industry is sometimes a quick buck. If the first made tons of money (Iron Man, Transformers, ect) they usually try to rush out a sequel as quick as possible. Sometimes if the director has power with the studio, they don't approve the first script that comes along, and actually put off their sequels untill they find one they really like (dark knight, spiderman, x-men 2, ect).

So it all comes down to how quick they want to rush out the movie in order to make money off it. X-men 3 was rushed because Brian Singer was busy doing Superman returns, and thus Fox hired a differnt director to do it. This happens all the time.

Tussell
07-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Apparently someone doesn't know how movies work... Hahaha. A lot of times, sequels will be worse than the original.

XxBlueSpade2xX
07-16-2010, 06:54 PM
No offense, but I completely disagree. Batman Returns was great, and I know a lot of you didn't like the Spiderman series, but I loved the first two. The third was pretty bad, but it wasn't because of the villains. Superman II (Reeves) was also good. The second Punisher film, which you could call a sequel or a reboot, was much better IMO. The second Iron Man was fantastic, maybe not as visually awesome and fun as the first, but you got a great performance from a great cast.

Crimson Son88
07-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Spiderman 2 was better than Spiderman 1?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the hobgoblin in the third Spiderman film?

No, I'm pretty sure he was called the new goblin.

Tussell
07-19-2010, 07:43 PM
No offense, but I completely disagree. Batman Returns was great, and I know a lot of you didn't like the Spiderman series, but I loved the first two. The third was pretty bad, but it wasn't because of the villains. Superman II (Reeves) was also good. The second Punisher film, which you could call a sequel or a reboot, was much better IMO. The second Iron Man was fantastic, maybe not as visually awesome and fun as the first, but you got a great performance from a great cast.
Batman Returns was a fantastic film. It returned to the same style as the first, and I think Burton can pull off Batman a million times better than Nolan could ever dream of. Burton's environment was just untouchable.

The 'Reeves' era of Superman was also awesome. It's just classic, and you can't go wrong with a classic.

I have yet to see the new Punisher films, however, the original with Dolph Lundgren is a great time. I urge everyone to see the film.

The second Iron Man was absolutely incredible. I had a lot more fun with it than I did with the first film. A lot of people acted as though the second one was just a pile of shit, but I can't even begin to comprehend what would lead them to that conclusion. Mickey Rourke was absolutely amazing.