PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One That's OCD About This?

BuySomethingWillYa
07-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I hate it when I unlock an achievement offline and it doesn't put the date next to it. Then, you have the achievement forever! With no date!

So, you're just scrolling through the achievements you've unlocked for said game, la-de-dah-dah, and your eyes rush to that blank spot where there should be a date when you got logged off that one time.

I hate this! Why is it this way? It doesn't need to be online to collect the achievement. Grrr! Microsoft is anti-OCD! :mad:

(I'm half-joking around. I'm half-serious.)

Starstrukk X360A
07-03-2010, 08:11 PM
It is disappointing, but it's nothing to cry over. I'm completely okay with offline achievements.

Louis BCFC1875
07-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Never play offline so i haven't exp'ed this.

balance13
07-03-2010, 08:50 PM
I agree that it is very annoying and I am sure they could fix it if they wanted to, but it is such a small problem.

The Destroyernatorer
07-03-2010, 09:03 PM
You're not alone. I'm an OCD freak too, and this pisses me off.

But it rarely happens now that my internet is stable.

Damage
07-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Its because the clock can be set manually and the machine has no CMOS battery. Hence once you turn the PSU off and wait 14 seconds or more, it forgets the time and date.

Hence to fix it a new motherboard design would be required. It would have been very cheap for them to address this in the first place.

Also apparently as you can manually set the date it prevents people claiming that they 100% a game before anyone else or got an achievement 1st in the world or whatever.

A fix will never appear for these reasons and frankly just don't play offline, if you care. If you don't like me play off and online. The only reason I try not to play offline, is I don't want to be labeled a cheater, but as I have been told a number of time as long as you don't do gamesaving, gamertag modding or get online achievements offline no-one will care.

RadiantViper
07-03-2010, 09:12 PM
I pretty much agree with you, though I was offline for a long time when I first got my Xbox so a large chunk of my early achievements are offline. Nowadays I try be online for all of them, but sometimes by internet craps out and I get an offline achievement or two. If possible, I try to get another achievement in that game online on the same day - so then I at least know when I got it.

GameShad0w
07-03-2010, 09:13 PM
i hate this aswell as i play offline quite alot while im at other peoples houses with my xbox on battlefield bad company 2 i completend the whole campaing in one day and i was offline no date :(

Noisy Neighbour
07-03-2010, 09:20 PM
As everyone has said, just play offline...

More to the point of why im responding though, am i the only one who gets incredibly angry when people throw the term OCD around. Im guessing these people havent actually met people with REAL OCD as if they had they wouldnt use the term so loosely.

The Destroyernatorer
07-03-2010, 09:35 PM
As everyone has said, just play offline...

More to the point of why im responding though, am i the only one who gets incredibly angry when people throw the term OCD around. Im guessing these people havent actually met people with REAL OCD as if they had they wouldnt use the term so loosely.

"Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety_disorder) characterized by intrusive thoughts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts) that produce anxiety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety), by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_behavior))"

That sums me up to a tee, but I have mild OCD. I have met people with really bad OCD, and I know what you mean. It's really quite debilitating.

Rebel River
07-03-2010, 09:47 PM
yeah, i made a thread about this too, is there a way to fix this?

Starstrukk X360A
07-03-2010, 09:59 PM
yeah, i made a thread about this too, is there a way to fix this?

Yeah.
Play online.

irJessica
07-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah I am too :)
But I never play offline so it's okay...

guillermo316
07-03-2010, 11:13 PM
the only time i would play offline is so that i dont recieve an update. but it doesnt bother me

DarkCreations
07-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Most of my first games played have no time-stamp, basically because i didn't have LIVE back then.

Now i'm always online though so it never happens anymore. So it's all good :)

hodge
07-03-2010, 11:26 PM
I really couldn't care less. An achievement is still an achievement, whether i earn it online or offline =P

Snowwwwy
07-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I dont really care though I think it is stupid that you dont get a date if you unlock one while offline. Because Im pretty sure the date is already on the xbox anyway, isnt it? I may be wrong, not sure. But anyway.. back OT.. I dont care at all really LOL.

Darth Grif55
07-04-2010, 12:24 AM
I find it annoying too. Luckily, I don't play offline anymore. I have my Xbox set so the computer internet can be on at the same time as XBL.

Corrupt.
07-04-2010, 12:42 AM
http://www.thingsihavelearnedinmylife.com/files/imagecache/preview/files/_%EC%82%AC%EA%B7%B8%EB%A7%88%EC%9D%B4%EC%8A%A4%ED% 84%B0.JPG

RuYi
07-04-2010, 12:56 AM
I have one ethernet cable shared between my PC and 360, so I got my share of offline achievements. Not too bothered by it, since there's nothing much I can do about it.

XxR3l0adedxX
07-04-2010, 01:03 AM
You know what you guys are complaining about is one of the only ways that cheaters are caught. For instance someone getting an online only achievement while offline. No one at all would ever be caught if this system was not in place.

Sgt Scyther
07-04-2010, 08:10 AM
You're not alone, I also hate it when I see "Acquired" next to an achievement with no date.

oblivion0110
07-04-2010, 08:13 AM
I know what you mean, but I think games that give achievements with Gamerscore value that doesn't end with a 5 or a 0 more irritating than that.

Sizzlebuzz
07-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I don't even worry about this stuff. I don't have live, and I usually play hardcore xbox when my internet goes out for one reason or another.

Chris Kwon Do
07-04-2010, 08:27 AM
I know what you mean, but I think games that give achievements with Gamerscore value that doesn't end with a 5 or a 0 more irritating than that.

I always avoid those acheivement too. They're never high either, it's always 12 or 2 or 6. That's helpful...

Gamerdude5448
07-04-2010, 08:30 AM
You only get no dates! DANG! Mine don't even pop up!

Darf Spud
07-04-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't really care if my achievements are offline.

Because I have a crap router, I need a cable from the router to my 360. So whenever I want to play online I have to connected a wire from my bedroom to my kitchen, and sometimes I just really can't be arsed so I don't bother.

That's why about 35% of my achievements are offline.

Blue Radium
07-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes, this bothers me as well. I don't see why you couldn't have dates offline though. It would be as simple as the xbox being online once, and remembering that time as the actual time. Then if you are offline, it could simply copy that time over into a time stamp. If you tamper with the time or date settings while offline, your xbox will no longer put time stamps by your achievements until the next time you access LIVE.

Damage
07-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes, this bothers me as well. I don't see why you couldn't have dates offline though. It would be as simple as the xbox being online once, and remembering that time as the actual time. Then if you are offline, it could simply copy that time over into a time stamp. If you tamper with the time or date settings while offline, your xbox will no longer put time stamps by your achievements until the next time you access LIVE.

AS stated above the xbox cannot remember the time. The bigger problem for me is that you need to set the time & date manually every time you turn the machine on if OFFLINE, unless it is NEVER switched off at the wall (PSU powered off). It uses XBL to set the clock, so I used to power it on online, then turn the net off once connected so I don't need to bother. I have since started playing online all he time, as the power used by my router is really low.

Vaynel
07-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Personally I would have liked it to show the date and time the achievement was unlocked.

What can I say, I love stats.

But yeah its a shame that it doesn't give a proper time stamp for offline achievements.

But the thing that truly annoys me. Is that we can delete games we don't like. We could have a 100% completion list for over 100 games, then one day we buy a game on release day and there could be 1 or 2 achievements glitched. If the game doesn't sell very well, then you can say goodbye to the idea that the devs will bother to pay the costs to patch it.

Slow2die
07-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Ok, so its a little issue, but nothing to go all OCD about. :P

TacticalTodger
07-04-2010, 01:10 PM
my internet cuts out a lot so some of my cheevos are offline but most are online

Synysterdragon
07-04-2010, 05:04 PM
what I hate more is when a game says I have never played online (GTA IV says that for me yet I have played a few FFA games and plenty of online free roam) oh and also for some reason I never got an achievement for finishing a section of story in Fracture either ( I have chapter 2 & 3 achievements but never received 1)

TsarBlandi
07-04-2010, 06:55 PM
i didnt even know the date was displayed full stop... cant really see how it affects anything

Billy69
07-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah I got worried when I got my achievement offline and their was no date and I thought I was going to get reset.

Stupid
07-04-2010, 09:54 PM
If it's not too hard an achievements, which would probably the case if you unlocked it accidentally (though some achievements require pure luck, and could come when you are offline in an irritating way) you could simply, upon getting an achievement offline, delete your profile on the console, then recover it when you next connect, this would 'reset' you back to the gamerscore previously... but then, you would loose ALL achievements since you last connected/updated to Live - which could be a lot. This is a lot of effort of course - you'd have to do the achievement again. This is also of no use if you've already got the achievements and connected to Live, by then it's too little too late.

*But do be careful if anybody does try this... some games like Dead Rising unlock the achievement ONCE per PLAYTHROUGH, as thus, going on the save that had unlocked it, and now that you hadn't, you wouldn't unlock it again, you may have to start a new save, which may not be too bad depending on what the achievement is. That's why I always keep a backup of saves on a USB just incase something bizzar happens.*

Burning Karma
07-05-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm there with you. It annoys me, but I can live with it. However, I refuse to play without being connected to Live.

unjustmorality
07-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't like it either but I live with it since I only play offline when I constantly get messages that interrupt my gaming.

credible
07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Feel your pain. I've also felt my OCD building up over this.

StChristophear
07-08-2010, 04:16 AM
I absolutely dread this, lol my 360 stays plugged into the internet all of the time no matter what.

katesith
07-08-2010, 04:21 AM
I hate not having the timestamp but it's an achievement, I welcome it. I rarely play offline so... :/

fudgenuts64
07-08-2010, 05:10 AM
I pisses me off. I hate it. Hell, when I'm not connected to LIVE I try not to get achievements.