PDA

View Full Version : this or the 1st n3

demphra
07-03-2010, 08:17 PM
which game did you guys enjoy more. i still prefer the 1st, since the characters from this didn't have the same likeness imphyy & tyuruu did

Hoborg
07-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi Todavia. My thoughts exactly. I miss the old characters as well as the general art direction. The orb attack was way cooler in the first one.

DustyTheHamster
07-03-2010, 09:34 PM
I loved the water attacks and water effects from tyuruu's attacks. The bombs she could drop from her flying broom and her orb spark was always a good way to make a slideshow. I liked the first N3's UI more the health display gave me a real idea of how strong or weak a characters health pool is, unlike this generic standard green line. But N3 2 does offer many more things to kill and so far I enjoy the bosses more then N3's.

demphra
07-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi Todavia. My thoughts exactly. I miss the old characters as well as the general art direction. The orb attack was way cooler in the first one.

hey same here, the art from this one was too gray and pale unlike the 1st one which was more colorful and lit. i couldn't let go of the direction konami did with this game, because they made this too much like chaos legion cept with more enimies swarming at you to slash and kill.

demphra
07-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I loved the water attacks and water effects from tyuruu's attacks. The bombs she could drop from her flying broom and her orb spark was always a good way to make a slideshow. I liked the first N3's UI more the health display gave me a real idea of how strong or weak a characters health pool is, unlike this generic standard green line. But N3 2 does offer many more things to kill and so far I enjoy the bosses more then N3's.

the green health bar looks like devil may cry's. but i must admit i like the health bar design choice better.

neverendr
07-05-2010, 03:52 AM
I enjoyed the first N3 immensely, I'm enjoying the second one quite a lot as well. I think I preferred the art style of the first, but I enjoy the smoothness of the second as well as not having to deal with the squads of soldiers you're forced to command...they had some sort of genuine stupidity rather than artificial intelligence. Both are fantastic games in my opinion.

Arrowmaster
07-05-2010, 05:12 AM
I miss the dodge move that was faster than running rather than this slow ass role move.

ErinEsurance
07-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Besides the giant ogre thing I loved all the characters in the first N3, not too wild about any characters in N3-2 except maybe Zazi. I don't understand why they didn't bring back ANY of the playable characters from the first game. I miss them.

The first game was colorful and had a great art style, this new one just feels like a God of War knockoff.

Walleyepete83
07-08-2010, 04:29 AM
I just Enjoy N3 mainly for the Hack N Slash no need to worry about combos they are both good just to sit and mash buttons. but first one was a bit more fun with character likability in my opinion.

Lockindal
07-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Personally, I like the characters in this one better than the other.

Matter of fact, I can't think of much things I like better in the first one than the second one. The only exception being that aside from skills, I think the basic combo system was better in N31 since there are hardly no basic combos in the new one.

Zertonium
07-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Man, please tell me I'm not the only one who liked the Troll's story... Now don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the other character's stories, but I honestly felt a stronger connection to the Troll than any other character in N3.

It was just living a carefree life when, one day, it was captured and forced to fight in a war that it didn't even understand. The Troll was terrified. But it made a friend; a lone goblin that was also terrified of battle. In each other they found strength. The strength to fight. As long as they were together in battle, they were unstoppable. After a fateful encounter with a squad of archers, the goblin took a mortal blow, and the Troll was alone again. Only this time it was not fear that it felt in it's heart. It was pure, seething rage. The Troll couldn't bear to let this injustice stand. It lashed out at those who had killed it's friend, but it didn't stop there. In it's enraged state, there was no such thing as friend or foe; all were deemed as enemies. It tore through the ranks of soldiers on both sides without mercy. And when it came across the leaders of both sides in the conflict, the Troll tore them asunder without a second thought. With the leaders of both sides of the war defeated, the conflict was quelled, and the Troll found itself in possession of the orb of darkness. The fated object that started the whole mess. In a last ditch effort to stop the fighting for good, the Troll swallowed the orb in hopes that it would be forgotten and never fall into the wrong hands ever again, and then quietly disappears into the woods.

(At least that is my interpretation of what happened).

Despite the lack of dialog from the Troll, you can understand and FEEL the emotion that is conveyed between the characters in this story. Now, I ask you, how can you not find a story like that to be compelling?

DosuKinuta13
08-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I like the characters and the style of their attacks like the original orb attacks. However, i didn't like how you had to kill the same people over and over again with every character. It just made the game boring and repetitive. However, in N3 II they toss in a few bosses that certain characters can fight which is awesome, and i like how they added general type monsters that dropped accessories, and color costumes

IVI4V3R1CK
08-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Man, please tell me I'm not the only one who liked the Troll's story...?

Nope, I liked Vig Vak's story from N3:1 better than the rest of them. Everyone had a chip on their shoulder, but he was forced in. Made a bigger connection.

But in regards to the topic, I have to say I like N3:1 loads more than I like N3:2. I like how they've added more levels. And I like the fact that I can do the Orb Attack/Orb Spark more often. I like how they added the skill moves which you can map. It makes things go by a bit more smoothly. I also like the characters. Though the voice acting leaves me switching the voices to Japanese and leaving English subtitles, I find myself having the same type of emotional connections as I did in the first game.

However, that is pretty much all I like about it. The levels seem to take a bit too long, as I am finding myself pretty much running through the game (literally). Enemies come in pockets, and for me it just isn't constant enough. Strike that, it can be constant when they through the enemy generator spawn things in there. I'll be fighting my way through horde after horde thinking I am making headway all to find out that I have a stupid spawner around the corner.

I also am not digging on the new leveling system. I liked the original one where it did it for you in the middle of the game. I can't tell you how many times that saved my butt in the first game. Plus having to wait until you die to equip things is a major turn off. Sometimes I'll be in an area where a certain combination of skills will come in handy, but it will mess me up further down the road. I hate how I have to bite the bullet and keep the general scenario.

Lastly I was really disappointed in the lack of a decent game manual. Take the first game; 35 pages of information. It went into Story Line, Actions, it explained everything to a point. This game has what, 7 pages, or something like that (at least the NA version does, with three languages packaged in the same deal). Maybe I got screwed, but regardless I was pretty upset. More over because if they actually packaged a decent manual people wouldn't have to be confused at why the game is not mentioning the people from the previous game as this sequel is really a prequel (N3:1 was based after the 100th day). But since the manual doesn't tell you the story line, I can understand why so many people are confused.

All in all I enjoy this game, but not as much as I enjoyed the first game. Maybe it is because I had really high hopes for the game, or because I am not adapting well to the massive change in format. Either way, it's still pretty cool.

TL: DR

Pros
- Interesting Characters
- More Levels
- More Freedom in doing Orb Attack/Orb Spark

Cons
- Levels can be too long
- Too many gaps between enemies, or never ending floods of enemies until you discover you have to move through them
- New Leveling/Equipment Screens
- Lack of a Decent Manual (for NA version at least)

Also, remember, although N3:2 is the chronological sequel to N3:1, when it comes to the story it is the prequel.

dersuedwanderer
09-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Prefer the 1st.
Wasn´t as damned hard and unfair....

Ace267
10-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Like the 2nd more as there are checkpoints in the game not like in 1 where you get to the end of the level and die and then have to do everything all over again because of 'n lucky strike

Ashunera
10-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Ninety nine nights has a better story
Ninety nine nights II has better gameplay

but i like the 1 more than the 2

Ravenousguy
12-04-2010, 02:05 AM
I have to agree that i prefer the direction the latest one is going towards.
It has added some handy new options and removed a few annoying ones (like having troops with you)

But compared to the characters in the first game, i really don't care too much about them. Should've atleast bought Vik Vak back.