PDA

View Full Version : How do I play fast notes?

Dr Buttcrack
04-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Alright, I'm starting to really get Hammer ons and Pull offs, but I just can't play those fast notes. I beat my fuckin thumb on the strum bar as fast as I can, but I just can't get them! So I was watching a Jordan on Expert vid on Youtube, and at the really fast part with the chords every few notes (I think I explained that), I just hear him hitting the bar at each chord, yet he still gets each note? WTF?

Mike255
04-15-2007, 05:32 AM
I don't understand what you mean by the Jordan video, but about the fast strumming, you should start double strumming.(strumming up and down) Definitely doubles your strumming speed.

Zef
04-15-2007, 02:18 PM
I used to just strum down, I could manage quite well but it would usually go awry very easily.

I started double strumming today and it is a lot easier. Hangar 18 five starred on the first re-attempt =D. If you are having trouble then find a song with loads of quick notes and practise it on slow, then more up to full speed. You should be able to get the hang of it.

k_dog
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
By "fast notes" do you mean solo progression?

or do you mean note prgression like in Misirlou?

sic6sic
04-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Alright, I'm starting to really get Hammer ons and Pull offs, but I just can't play those fast notes. I beat my fuckin thumb on the strum bar as fast as I can, but I just can't get them! So I was watching a Jordan on Expert vid on Youtube, and at the really fast part with the chords every few notes (I think I explained that), I just hear him hitting the bar at each chord, yet he still gets each note? WTF?

Hammerons and Pulloffs. for most songs, especially in the hard/expert tiers, the solos are generally full of spots that you dont HAVE to pick, just HO/PO to. Jordan is one of them. go watch the HO/PO tutorial from the main menu, if you havent, and it should explain things a bit better than i can.

Bolt
04-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I play them quickly

travmeatwad
04-15-2007, 04:28 PM
I can't doublestrum.. I just use my thumb and press down..

It tires my arm out, though.. and I really want to try to get the hang of doublestrumming.

Mike255
04-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Once you get into Misrilou on expert, or hard i think too. You have to start double strumming. I'm pretty sure its not possible without it.

Illution
04-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I strum with my thumb and hold the bottom of the guitar so that my palm is over the whammy bar. pretty easy.

Dr Buttcrack
04-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Okay so for example, the Butthole Surfer song on hard, I've 5 starred all the songs on the first 4 tiers (even Woman) without using any form of double strumming. I just can't get that one, or any of the ones on the last 2 tiers...

codedigital
04-16-2007, 12:04 PM
I play them quickly

Damnit...beat me to it :)

PogromXpert
04-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Once you get into Misrilou on expert, or hard i think too. You have to start double strumming. I'm pretty sure its not possible without it.

Dude I five stared Misrilou on hard without double strumming. You just have to be fast and have alot of endurance. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

IronEddie42
04-17-2007, 05:07 PM
It's not impossible to do well at pretty much every song on Hard - but try only downpicking Misirlou on Expert - it's simply not possible, your arm would fall off ... best advice is to start alternate picking on the easier levels/songs and really get the hang of it so that when you do get up to the end-tier songs on Expert, alternate picking isn't foreign to you.