PDA

View Full Version : 360 Internet Browsing

PID Man
07-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Now i'm an Xbox fan boy but am dead jealous of the PS with it's browsin. Accepting the technical issues of web browsers, does anyone have any snippets of information regarding being able to browse from the 360?

TheVoidRose
07-04-2010, 09:04 PM
All I knew about it, is the it is never going to happen. I don't mind it either, PS3 and wii internet browsers are slow. Might as well just take your laptop in front of you while playing games. That's what my coffee table is used for.

Sidereal
07-04-2010, 09:07 PM
AFAIK there's no way to browse using the 360.

Might as well just take your laptop in front of you while playing games.
Assuming the OP even has a laptop. Most people who want a browser on the 360 do so because they don't have a computer nearby.

Stupid
07-04-2010, 09:49 PM
There was a way you could do it through Windows Media Centre, but I believe they patched that recently, plus - I think you would still need a computer, and it would need to have Windows....
Regardless, a barebone computer wouldn't set you back that much, you could even use a phone (though I can't bare the thought) like a friend of mine does, or an iPod/equivalent tablet.

Starstrukk X360A
07-04-2010, 09:51 PM
It's not possible, and I doubt it would anytime soon.

I see no need for one anyway.

DarkCreations
07-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Don't see it happening, not any time soon at least.

There's always the internet access on your phone, iPod, and laptop (that's if you don't want to move away from your 360 i'm guessing) and most people these days will have 1 of these equivalents.

crazy W01f 816
07-04-2010, 10:22 PM
There is no point. It's both faster and easier to use a desktop/laptop computer.

Panda
07-04-2010, 11:38 PM
I can't stand using the browser on my PS3.

I don't use an external mouse/keyboard but as it is - I hate it.

It's unresponsive and slow, many plug-ins cannot be installed and it's just plain awkward.

I guess in some ways it's a convenience but - most people nowadays have easy access to a computer of their own. I for one am happy with or without a browser on the 360.

Jethrow
07-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I've wanted this since the release and still nothing. I'm sure it could've been introduced with the NXE but who knows. I just find it silly that "MICROSOFT" couldn't have at least included this with their console.

Sidereal
07-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Maybe because "MICROSOFT" realised that a browser on the 360 was unnecessary.

TheVoidRose
07-04-2010, 11:59 PM
I've wanted this since the release and still nothing. I'm sure it could've been introduced with the NXE but who knows. I just find it silly that "MICROSOFT" couldn't have at least included this with their console.

Something about protecting the console from bad things a browser could allow into it.

xFortyseven
07-05-2010, 12:18 AM
All I knew about it, is the it is never going to happen. I don't mind it either, PS3 and wii internet browsers are slow. Might as well just take your laptop in front of you while playing games. That's what my coffee table is used for.

How is this NOT called the Wiinternet?

TheVoidRose
07-05-2010, 12:25 AM
How is this NOT called the Wiinternet?

Wiinter Net, used to catch snow flakes!:confused:

Dark Apparition
07-05-2010, 12:26 AM
I would never use it. Thats what my laptop is for.

Superbad325
07-05-2010, 12:30 AM
I would never ever use it at all either.

Gaming consoles were meant for games, and a few other things. But not web browsing. It's just.... a hassle to use it for that purpose IMO.

andami
07-05-2010, 01:53 AM
While I wish they would do this, Microsoft has already confirmed that they do not plan on adding a web browser to the Xbox 360 anytime within the near future.

Corrupt.
07-05-2010, 02:02 AM
I agree it would be unnessecary. I would imagine a 360 browser would be clunky and hard to use...

Shelton
07-05-2010, 02:11 AM
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9435/kinectk.png (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/kinectk.png/)

Does this not suggest that they'll add a little browser functionality?

andami
07-05-2010, 02:23 AM
Does this not suggest that they'll add a little browser functionality?
No, that's just the new video chat that will be used with Kinect.

Elit3 m0nkey
07-05-2010, 02:28 AM
If you have ever used the internet browser on the Wii or PS3, you know it is not worth having. The 360 is not a PC. Like other people said there are many other ways to access the internet, cellphone, ipod, laptop etc.

Shelton
07-05-2010, 02:29 AM
No, that's just the new video chat that will be used with Kinect.

Why does it have "Bing" as an option? It's not there for decoration.

andami
07-05-2010, 03:25 AM
It looks more like an advertisement logo, but you could be right.

jimi_stephen
07-05-2010, 04:00 AM

It looks more like an advertisement logo, but you could be right.

I went and watched the video, and it is top headlines in sports, travel, etc. by bing. Like whats on bing's top sports there will be a video where both people can watch it and talk about it. But not an actual internet browser.

on a side note...

YouTube- Xbox 360 Internet Browser With NXE Update

D.A.N.
07-05-2010, 04:39 AM
I never understood what the big deal was about browsing the internet on your console. Are people really that lazy? Browsing the internet on consoles is limited and sucks.

Pootcrum
07-05-2010, 05:31 AM

Yeh I dont think thats a bad point, from what has happened in the past Microsoft tend to "build" functionality, slowly adding what is needed for a future project and then releasing it later on. So adding Bing-like runtime features could certainly be a precursor to a browser for the 360.

I personally however feel it would be one more useless thing cluttering up my dashboard. I dont have facebook, nor twitter, and dont care about streaming movies at a cost to myself, so theres two entire sections of the dashboard that I could do without. I dont need a third one for the internet.

If only NXE had the option to go into a sleek looking, but very lean version of the dashboard, similar in functionality to the very first dashboard. Let me game, and access videos, music and DLC (when I want it only), and I will be much happier.

Tufty
07-05-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm glad it doesn't, mainly because I'm one of those people who believe that a mobile phone should be a mobile phone. I mean, yeh I may want one, but I don't want to play another 50 so I can mow the fucking grass with it.

It's the same scenario with an internet browser on the 360. It's just going to cost you even more for something you don't even need.

RuYi
07-05-2010, 08:44 AM
It's not possible, and I doubt it would anytime soon.

I see no need for one anyway.
This. I got a desktop computer, minilaptop, and I could even access the internet with my phone if I wanted to, and I bought the 360 for playing games, not for surfing the internet.

react2409
07-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I don't see the point in having a browser on the 360. It already has enough on it that i hardly use and the browser would just be another one of them things, filling up the menu with needless things.

And plus you could just use your phone/laptop/desktop pc/ipad or whatever else you have that has one.

FFFreak1129
07-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Not really sure why people want an internet browser on the 360. Most gamers already have some kind of computer at home, so why not just use that? Browsing on the 360 wouldn't be like browsing on the computer. It wouldn't be as easy if other video game consoles are anything to go by.

TsarBlandi
07-05-2010, 09:08 AM
with the ps3 you cant browse and game at the same time, which means i have to leave the game in order to log into the browser. For me its easier to turn my computer on, it may not be quicker but the time i save using a keyboard rather than a controller is worth it.

sm182
07-05-2010, 12:10 PM
How about for people who only have one internet connection- it's either Xbox Live or the internet on your laptop/PC.

Majica8
07-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I would love a web browser on my Xbox. Not because I'm "too lazy" to use the one on my PC or laptop, but because my Xbox is connected to my 32" HD tv and my PC is connected to my 22" monitor.
I wouldn't use the browser for "browsing" as such, I would use it to watch videos.
I like to watch UK ice hockey during the season, and several teams do live streams over the internet. To watch them on my PC is just annoying, small screen, uncomfortable chair, not being able to sit very far away from the screen. It looks so much better on my TV, I can sit in my nice chair, and it's overall just better.
It would be good for watching YouTube videos too.
I don't really care that the Xbox doesn't have one though, cause I've got my PS3, just saying that not everyone thinks it's a terrible idea.
It's also great on the PS3 cause I can go to several websites and download awesome themes directly onto the PS3 HDD.

andami
07-05-2010, 12:27 PM
How about for people who only have one internet connection- it's either Xbox Live or the internet on your laptop/PC.
This. For the longest time I had to unhook my router from my PC to get on Live with my Xbox, and vice-versa. It was really a hassle. And to be honest, the only thing I ever use the internet on my computer for is to browse the web. So this would more convenient for people like I used to be (I have a router now so it's all good) and people like the guy I just quoted.

KingSkipCDXX
07-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Probably bad connection where you are. the internet on my ps3 is pretty decent, not as fast as my laptop, but pages load under 10-20 secs, depends on the contents of the page.

KingSkipCDXX
07-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm glad it doesn't, mainly because I'm one of those people who believe that a mobile phone should be a mobile phone. I mean, yeh I may want one, but I don't want to play another 50 so I can mow the fucking grass with it.

It's the same scenario with an internet browser on the 360. It's just going to cost you even more for something you don't even need.

Whenever i use the browser on my ps3 it was usually for downloading pics, songs, movies, or themes for it. instead of getting a usb, and blah blah blah.

KingSkipCDXX
07-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Like me :( :p

Tufty
07-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Most people who want a browser on the 360 do so because they don't have a computer nearby.

It may be true but it's still very limited to helping you, and could become very annoying. For example. You want to go for all of the crackdown collectables, but you need a video guide. So you go onto the web browser and you watch the video until you see the first 5 collectables, you then go back onto the game and get them. Then you have to go back to the dashboard and go back onto the browser and watch it for the next 5 collectables.

Sidereal
07-05-2010, 01:43 PM
My point was that someone just assumed that the OP had a laptop, and I was pointing out that they might not.

I think a browser on the 360 is a terrible idea. The only way any console browser would ever be truly efficient is if it operated like Steam. You have a shortcut that brings up a browser, but it only pauses your game. Close the browser, return to the game.

I'm not arguing that a browser on the 360 without that sort of ability wouldn't be limited and annoying.

xMP44x
07-05-2010, 03:02 PM
There's no real benefit to including a browser on a console. Unless you plug in a keyboard, it's going to be clunky to write URLs and stuff in. Furthermore, the browsers are not really going to support much if they are included on the console. But the scariest fact of all, is that if Microsoft were to release a browser on their Xbox 360 console... it'd be Internet Explorer.

Should you really want a browser on your 360, you can download the MCEBrowser (Google it), and make your 360 a Media Center Extender. Unfortunately it means running a modern version of the Windows operating system, because it does not support Macintosh or XP. It doesn't support XP Media Centre Edition either, which cuts your choices down to Windows Vista and Windows 7. Be warned: it's not that great for browsing.

credible
07-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I think it's quite simpy a branding decision. The Xbox is not a multimedia centre, it's first and foremost a gaming console. And in addition, by not allowing custom browsing, they ensure they have a monopoly when it comes to delivering services on their own consoles. Netflix, Facebook, Twitter etc. You can't just go online and watch it at Hulu. It also gives them control of "everything" on Xbox Live.

Tufty
07-05-2010, 07:08 PM
My point was that someone just assumed that the OP had a laptop, and I was pointing out that they might not.

I think a browser on the 360 is a terrible idea. The only way any console browser would ever be truly efficient is if it operated like Steam. You have a shortcut that brings up a browser, but it only pauses your game. Close the browser, return to the game.

I'm not arguing that a browser on the 360 without that sort of ability wouldn't be limited and annoying.

I never thought about that, but if it was then it would be a great idea for people who don't have near by internet access.

KelvinZero
07-06-2010, 08:04 PM
I think the dashboard selections of Dilbert cartoons, New York Post cartoons, and MSNBC news shorts are Microsoft's experiments with providing internet-obtainable items. They control what we can get and they are likely monitoring how often we access it. If no one bothers with any of it, they may conclude a browser is not worth installing.