PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think Natal will leave us?

Tufty
07-05-2010, 08:19 AM
By 'us' I mean people who prefer to use our controller and probably won't buy it.

Anyway, I know this is going to make it into many new release over the upcoming years and it got me thinking. Do you think it will be optional to use Natal or do you think it will be a requirement to have to play most games?

VladimirK
07-05-2010, 08:35 AM
I think we'll be feeling like we're strapped to a chair and being hit in the nuts by Mike Tyson every time another piece of shovelware garbage is shown for it.

I like the way MS are going on and on about how it should appeal to core gamers, but all we've seen so far is bullshit stuff trying to steal the Wii's fanbase.
(*cough* And a very likely pre-recorded show at that E3 thing with the acrobats).

TheVoidRose
07-05-2010, 08:41 AM
I think there is some saying that goes like "Stick to your guns" or something along the line of "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Until motion controls are pin-point accurate, standard controls will always be standard. Sure we will get a lot of gimmicy half assed motion games *cough Wii cough* and maybe once in a while get a half decent title, but I think things will shift back into the tried and true physical button controls.

RuYi
07-05-2010, 08:42 AM
It's going to be optional. At least for a long time, I really don't see the controller disappear with the arrival of Kinect. And yeah we'll get a lot of those minigames things first, but I'm sure later on there will be bigger titles, and not necessarily sequels to GoW or stuff like that.

It's not a first day buy for me, but when there's a bunch of Kinect games out that I want to play, I'll definitely put down my controller and give it a try. I like the idea so far, am amazed by the technology and I don't want to ruin any possible fun by clinging to the 360 controller and yelling it's going to be crap before the thing is even in the stores.

FFFreak1129
07-05-2010, 08:57 AM
I don't see the controller going anywhere right now. We're not sure how much Nat...I mean Kinect will sell or how long it will be supported. Alot will depend on those two things.

Even if it does sell well, I don't think they would get rid of the controller. I think it will be there for the near future. Plenty of gamers are happy with controllers. This is just MS trying to take a piece of the "casual market" pie from Nintendo.

TsarBlandi
07-05-2010, 09:06 AM
i think itll be treated as a Gimic, after a couple weeks people will forget about it, i doubt core gamers will be swayed - i also wouldnt be suprised if they made games with piss easy achievements to try and get some achievment whores to get one

Pixo
07-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm sure we'll all be using motion control and IR scanning crap for video games someday. For now I'll stick to my normal controllers though... the one thing all the major companies seem to have forgotten about, unfortunately.

Right now I'm just hoping Kinect doesn't sell as well as everyone thinks it will. I can't wait to see everyone's reaction when Kinect turns out to be a huge fail after all this hype by Microsoft. Same goes for Move on the PS3 and whatever else is out there.

credible
07-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I think Natal is a ephemeroptera. It will cause some attention at launch, but I think it will fail as a commercial product. It's just not innovative enough.

Iv AJay vI
07-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Considering 98% of the games coming out for it look shitty, I'm not too worried about it.

Seany Show
07-05-2010, 06:29 PM
There will be games to use specifically with Kinect and there will be games to use with your controller. They will be split down the middle and I'm happy and content with that.

Perfection I
07-05-2010, 06:32 PM
It will do exactly what the Wii did spark some interest for a couple of months then just fade away.

Tufty
07-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Reading through your posts I've been re-assured that I'm going to be using my controller for a long time.

This has me worried though.

Considering 98% of the games coming out for it look shitty, I'm not too worried about it.

If they are as bad as you say then I've got a feeling Microsoft are going to try to encourage developers to use it in bigger titles like Call of Duty, Halo and Gears of War.

Starstrukk X360A
07-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I can see it as an optional thing, to be honest.

Soccs
07-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Personally I think the Microsoft is only releasing natal (kinect) only to get in on some of the crowd that nintendo is aiming at and potentially get more sales, but otherwise i dont think it will affect some of the bigger named companies that want to stay with the good old controller, unless they really want to include it in there upcoming title.

KwH x Fatality
07-05-2010, 06:49 PM
What all the fuss about?

If you want Kinect you buy it.
If you don't want Kinect you don't buy it.

All the 'crapper' games will be fully functional in Kinect and all the better games will be in controller mode.

Unterofficer
07-05-2010, 07:00 PM
If they are as bad as you say then I've got a feeling Microsoft are going to try to encourage developers to use it in bigger titles like Call of Duty, Halo and Gears of War.
True, but the thing is that they don't know if Kinetic will be a hit or a flop. Why make a big game for a machine that could very well be a flop making the game flop as well.

Anyway if Kinetic will be required in the future, then I will seriously consider my bandwagon on consoles, as not everybody outside of US and A has an apartment where there is a 3x4m clear space in front of your tv.

Stupid
07-05-2010, 07:21 PM
I think I'll get Kinect on release, I mainly want it for real time strategy games, it would be very neat in Halo Wars 2 *hint-*

Tufty
07-05-2010, 07:24 PM
True, but the thing is that they don't know if Kinetic will be a hit or a flop. Why make a big game for a machine that could very well be a flop making the game flop as well.

Anyway if Kinetic will be required in the future, then I will seriously consider my bandwagon on consoles, as not everybody outside of US and A has an apartment where there is a 3x4m clear space in front of your tv.

I didn't even know that you needed that much space to use it. I can add this to my list of reasons why I won't be getting it.

DopeySO
07-05-2010, 08:16 PM
A controller will always been the main way to interact with the Xbox 360.

A small group of games will be Kinect only, a medium amount will allow either the controller or kinect, and by far the majority will still be controller only.

That might change for the Xbox 720 (or whatever they call it), but that still a looooong time off.

Odiumruse
07-05-2010, 08:20 PM
I can see it being a flop really, Like the eye toy was.

I hope it stays independent, and doesn't involve the bigger games, and slowly improves on the side lines, working towards something worthwhile in the future, but I just can't get excited about it.

crazy W01f 816
07-05-2010, 08:35 PM
I foresee two distinct possibilities. One, Kinect is mildly successful and Microsoft continues it's PR push, while at next years E3 we get our first big Kinect game announcement tied to a big franchise/developer. And two, Kinect bombs right from launch day. Microsoft continues to back it up until early next year when they decide to cut their losses. Next years E3 will then feature an abundance of new IPs and gamers rejoice.

master_shake_350
07-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Where the Wii is just with better graphics and achievements!

VladimirK
07-06-2010, 05:38 AM
I didn't even know that you needed that much space to use it. I can add this to my list of reasons why I won't be getting it.

Yeah, there was a bit of fuss not long ago saying about how many UK gamers won't be able to use it since you need about 4m x 4m.

MS claim that you don't, but put it this way, in all their demos, when have they showed you a normal looking house?
It's all these massive floorplan rooms with almost no furniture.

Gamerdude5448
07-06-2010, 07:41 AM
I wonder if there is an achievement for looking like you are having fun with yourself?

guillermo316
07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
It will leave us in a cold place, if all those "casual gamers buy a ton of natal game/products then that where the industry will move towards. we have to patrol the natal section and scare off anyone trying to buy natal.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONTROLS 4 LIFE!

Sidereal
07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
This is ridiculous. Kinect is not the end-all of gaming. It won't be the harbinger of death to controllers. It won't be the apocalypse of anything.

If you don't like Kinect, I completely understand. I'm not going to try and change your mind, but seriously. All this shit about how it's going to ruin gaming, and how we must stay true to our controllers.. It's absurd.

Controllers aren't going anywhere. Not anytime soon, anyway. Motion gaming is still in it's infancy, and until it has matured and developed into something reliable and enjoyable for everyone, we'll still have our controller based games.

KeepEmRolling
07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Reading through your posts I've been re-assured that I'm going to be using my controller for a long time.

No way will high profile titles like that require natal. I'm sure MS want to encourage Natal sales by utilizing it where they can, but releasing a game like those above that require a natal to play would drastically cut sales, and that's not gonna happen.

I do know one thing....if it does get to the point where i can only play xbox games with a natal, i won't be playing xbox any longer.

BooseyGirl
07-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Natal will be optional, it's practically another game system for $150. All you're doing with Natal is hooking it up to your Xbox so you can play Controller free. My only concern is how accurate the Natal's motion sensors really are. Look at the YouTube video's that point out all of the flaws. Now I'm only hoping that those issues exist for right now and that they are going to be fixed before the launch.

I agree completely with the sentiment that Xbox 360 is trying to mimic the Wii and even the PS3 in some aspects, but it is a high demand market for video games, and if Natal winds being better then the Wii and having the same style of titles, I could definitely see myself playing Natal. I'll still keep my Wii for the Nintendo titles of course.

I don't know about anyone else but some of the titles at E3 looked pretty damn fun and I don't know about you guys but I would love an adorably cute Tiger playing hide and seek with me on my T.V. screen. I don't really see Natal being more then a "Family Time" game system, because that's what it's aimed at.

As for Natal ruining gaming, why would you even think that? Do you really think they're going to start releasing major titles for the Natal? No. I don't really think it would work anyway. Natal won't leave us anywhere, it's just bringing us another way to game should you choose to buy it.

KelvinZero
07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
If Microsoft is smart, they will try to minimize the amount of Wii-ported shovelware. The should stick with developers they know and have them come up with simple but effective demonstrations of what Kinect could do.

Also, was there this much of a ruckus when wireless controllers showed up? Were the hardcore gamers worrying about loss of signal or other now non existent problems?

Sidereal
07-06-2010, 08:23 PM
The difference is that with wireless controllers, the only thing that changed was the lack of a wire. You still had the controller, with all of the buttons.

People are afraid of Kinect because it takes the controller itself away from gaming as a requirement.

Mongolian Beef
07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Same as always. No need to fear, Natal will receive no support.

Sidereal
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Except there's already a lot of people who do support it. There's plenty of users here who support it, and I'm sure Lionhead and Rare will both be quick to experiment with Kinect's technology.

Pixo
07-06-2010, 10:42 PM

In an interview, Aaron Greenberg stated that hardcore gamers won't really have to worry about Kinect interfering with their games. It's an addition to what the 360 can do, not a full replacement for the controllers.

He stated that games like Halo and Gears of War are better with a controller, and they aren't looking to take that away from anyone.

But what they are trying to do is attract more gamers to the 360 and offer more entertainment options for people who should be so inclined.

Everyone's acting like Kinect is going to be the downfall of the 360 when even if it fails (which I honestly do not think it will), the 360 will still remain the console most of us have come to love.

I also see a lot of people acting as though Kinect is the exact same thing as the Wii when it's not. The Wii has motion sensors, sure, but that's it. The controls are inaccurate and clumsy on the Wii, and from the demos I've seen (not just E3), Kinect has a much better grasp on recognizing movements. Some lag is to be expected regardless, but it didn't seem to be too much of a problem to me. The Wii also doesn't have voice or facial recognition. It doesn't have voice commands, and it requires you carry around a controller.

"Why buy Kinect when you can buy a Wii?"

Simple. Kinect isn't a Wii. And the Wii isn't Kinect. They may have similarities but they are not the same thing.

Again, no need to fear.

Coorhagon
07-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Is it just me or is gaming going in the wrong direction. I do not want to flail my arms around, waggle my controller, play party games, or play (or watch) in 3D. Can't we just make better and more immersive games instead of making worse games and more innovative (but not neccesarily better) hardware?

Pixo
07-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Is it just me or is gaming going in the wrong direction. I do not want to flail my arms around, waggle my controller, play party games, or play (or watch) in 3D. Can't we just make better and more immersive games instead of making worse games and more innovative (but not neccesarily better) hardware?
I agree. I don't even know where this motion sensing and scanning stuff came from. I guarantee if the Wii never came along, we wouldn't have any of this Kinect or Move stuff going on right now. No matter how different they might be from each other.