PDA

View Full Version : Console troubles..

$RebelG
07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Well I've just moved from the UK to the US about a week ago now. I've bought over my UK 360 with my games because I wanted to play on it, however I've run into some troubles.

I'm currently waiting on some kind of power transfer thing (I forget the name, converter?) so hopefully the power issues wont be a problem, however I'll be using this 360 on a very old TV. Now this TV only has a yellow and a white connector hole in this TV that I want to use when I have my HD connectors. You know the white, blue, yellow, red and so on. I'm about 99% sure that I wont be allowed to use my 360 downstairs on the main TV so that's out of the question.

I'm wondering is there any kind of connector that I could get for the 360 that would work on those white and yellow connector holes? Or what I was thinking is maybe if there's no answer to that if I could just go onto a game store and hand it in for cash? Or maybe some kind of swap? I kind of fucked myself over since I took all of my games out of the cases and into a CD holder for room in my case so I have no boxes to them so I'm certain they wont accept them in the store right? But if I took the console in with the connectors/controlls and not HDD would they accept that to?

My third idea was to sell it on Ebay, but then since I'm in the US it will be sold on the US Ebay and not the UK one because of shipping and all of the rest. Although I guess I could always try using the UK Ebay first. Either way I'd really like to at least have money to buy a new console in the US either right away or when I'm a little more settled. So if you guys could help me out with my questions/ideas than that would be great.

EmporerDragon
07-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Most 360 Audio/Video connectors have both standard AV and Component cable attachments, so it shouldn't be that hard to find one.

Sabrelord
07-05-2010, 09:55 PM
That sounds realy old, should be yellow for video in, and white for mono audio in then. You can just use the Yellow+white from your Component Cable.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/kb.aspx?ID=906303&lcid=1033&category=hardware

Ow....but you didn't throw the Boxes away, did you? :(

If you realy want to sell it look around the boards, maybe someone wants a new PAL console for more GS ;)

$RebelG
07-06-2010, 01:36 AM
If its any help I have these;
http://www.erenumerique.fr/images/jeux/20051116/Xbox_360_cable_avance.jpg
Everything but the grey part on the left. And its only a Yellow and Red input on the TV from what I remember. Will just the red and yellow work if I plug them in? Or would they sell something at like Radio Shack or somewhere?

The Dukenator
07-06-2010, 02:26 AM
If you're using an old TV that only has yellow & white input jacks, it should work. I would buy a y-cable to mix the red & white audio channels together.

I currently use a TV with those jacks as I don't have a HDTV at this time.

EmporerDragon
07-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Will just the red and yellow work if I plug them in?

Yes. Yellow is video and Red and White are audio. As the TV only has the Red and Yellow, it is a mono TV (As a side note, most mono devices use Yellow & White instead), so the third cable is not needed. Just be sure to also flip the switch on the cord to TV.

master_shake_350
07-06-2010, 05:08 AM
However I have a feeling there will be a problem actually playing games on your PAL 360 with an American TV. I have a PAL and a NTSC TV(why I don't know) When I plug my 360 or anyone else's 360 into the NTSC the colors are weird. But people in the US seem to overcome this somehow and I would like to know how?

TsarBlandi
07-06-2010, 08:47 AM
The end you would be looking for is a RCA connecter, sry if its already been mentioned x)

Sabrelord
07-06-2010, 03:48 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Cinch-adapter.jpg/220px-Cinch-adapter.jpg

That's the Y-cable you can use to combine the red+white from the 360, hook that to the white port on the TV. Yellow to yellow, and switch your 360 cord to SD.
I know some games run on 60hz only and don't work on old 50hz TVs.

More about the display issues found on google

Xbox games - PAL vs NTSC compatibility
What's the difference between PAL and NTSC?
There are two television display systems in commercial use: PAL (common in Europe and parts of Asia) delivers a scanning/frame rate of 25 fps (frames per second) with 625 lines, while NTSC (used in the U.S. and Canada) delivers a scanning/frame rate of 29.97 fps using 525 lines. A TV signal is made from interlaced half-frames, hence the 25 fps in 50 Hz countries, and 30 fps in 60 Hz countries. The color information of the signal is also encoded differently. Although most TVs have the ability to display both 50 and 60 Hz signals, without proper decoding of the PAL or NTSC signal the color information will be lost and the picture appears black and white. These technical differences are the reason for an intrinsic incompatibility of PAL and NTSC video game consoles, respectively.

About voltage requirements of imported consoles

A problem that is indirectly related to PAL and NTSC is the power supply for video game consoles. Countries that use the PAL standard usually have AC current of 50 Hz, with voltages of 220 V or more. In contrast, countries that use the NTSC system use AC current of 60 Hz, with voltages of around 100-120 V. This means that if you intend to buy a video game console from a different country, you may need a voltage converter (a step-up or step-down transformer, respectively).

Unfortunately you can't just buy any voltage converter but you will need one strong enough to support your device. Whereas for my good old Playstation one, a small 60 Watts converter did the trick, it won't do it for the Playstation 2 or Xbox. For example, for the Xbox you will need a power supply with an output of approximately 250 Watts. If it doesn't get enough power, the Xbox will simply not boot up! I have personally gone through two different converters that didn't work until I got fed up with it, bought a heavy duty (it really is heavy!) 250 Watts step-down transformer, and then everything was fine. Phew!

(http://www.xbreporter.com/xbox_pal_ntsc.php)

dillon
07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
However I have a feeling there will be a problem actually playing games on your PAL 360 with an American TV. I have a PAL and a NTSC TV(why I don't know) When I plug my 360 or anyone else's 360 into the NTSC the colors are weird. But people in the US seem to overcome this somehow and I would like to know how?

We have to use a component cable or HDMI to get colors. Also OP your going to have to get a U.S. power brick because the U.S and PAL plugs are different.

Sabrelord
07-06-2010, 06:35 PM
The plug is her slightest problem ^^
try one of theese
http://www.priz24.de/images/sc/20803000011103217.jpg

She needs a power converter to reach 220-240v or an US power supply.

BTW..
I'd sell it to an US achievement hoe wanting a PAL 360, and get a new slim myself =P
No hassle and a nice new console =)

$RebelG
07-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Thanks for all of the help guys, I'll hopefully get a chance to go to Radio Shack and ask for those cables if plugging it in doesn't work. As for the power converter got that covered, I have one on its way from Amazon.com that should do the trick...I'm hoping. Nothing I can honestly do without the converter first so I'll report back to see if its worked or if I have problems.

THE NICK1987
07-07-2010, 05:30 AM
As already mentioned, but slightly different!

Have a scout around and find somebody in the US who wants and PAL console (many many people want PAL console's for stackable achievements) and offer a trade or just straight sell it! as long as you get enough cash to get yourself a replacement NTSC console, your fine!

master_shake_350
07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
We have to use a component cable or HDMI to get colors. Also OP your going to have to get a U.S. power brick because the U.S and PAL plugs are different.

I used a component cable because my NTSC TV doesn't have HD/HDMI.

Sabrelord
07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Nothing I can honestly do without the converter first so I'll report back to see if its worked or if I have problems.

You would only need a power converter if you can't get an US power brick for your pal console(to use ur 240v UK brick on the 120v US power net, i think other hardware has the same issue). But to get one should be no big prob.
And if you just got plug issues than use a simple adapter as shown below.

Plug adapter 5$
Amazon.com: All-in-One Travel Power Plug Adapter for US, UK, EU, AU: Home Improvement

Power converter 27$, roughly the same price for new power brick
Amazon.com: LiteFuze VT-200 200 Watt Heavy Duty Voltage Converter Transformer - Step Up/Down 110/120/220/240V - Fully…

Oh.. and make sure you pick the right power supply for your 360,

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b-6gpa2cL._SS400_.jpg
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000PT18OS/ref=dp_images_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=1&childASIN=B000PT18OS)

$RebelG
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I can't do anything because the converter is actually in the mail on its way to me, that's all covered. I also have a bunch of adapters for my other stuff I've brought over. Still, I'm a noob the TV I'll be using actually has a white and yellow input into the TV and not the yellow and red one like I mentioned. I take it I still just need to plug in my white and yellow parts in and it should be up and running?

Sabrelord
07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Yes, you need the three plugs on the right of your first pic.
Grey/yellow comes to the yellow on the tv.
The pure red or white (or both with that Y-adapter) come to the white tv plug.

$RebelG
07-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Okay so good news, I have my step up/step down power converter that goes to about 240. The bad news? I've just plugged everything in and had a little mess around and my 360 wouldn't power up. Didn't matter what I did with the power converter the little green light would just not pop up on the power brick. Anyone know why? Or did my power brick die from the flight over?

I have this converter I got from Amazon that a friend ordered for me -
Amazon.com: Power Bright VC100W Voltage Transformer 100 Watt Step Up/Down 110 Volt - 220 Volt: Home & Garden

$RebelG
07-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Okay sorry for the double post but just need a little more help before I'm all set. I've finally gotten my step down converter to work. I never bothered to try the 110V input after trying the others, thinking it wouldn't work. Well I've just tried it and it powers up. I've also just plugged in the yellow and the white inputs to the TV. Its come up on screen and the sound has to, the only problem is the fact that the picture is black and white. What do I need to make it colour? And if you could give me the name of the thing I need it would be great so I can ask for it in Radio Shack.

dillon
07-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Okay sorry for the double post but just need a little more help before I'm all set. I've finally gotten my step down converter to work. I never bothered to try the 110V input after trying the others, thinking it wouldn't work. Well I've just tried it and it powers up. I've also just plugged in the yellow and the white inputs to the TV. Its come up on screen and the sound has to, the only problem is the fact that the picture is black and white. What do I need to make it colour? And if you could give me the name of the thing I need it would be great so I can ask for it in Radio Shack.

Component or HDMI i belive, but if your TV is really old, then you might need a new one. I can play my American and Jap xbox with just the regular cables. But I have to use my component cable or HDMI cable to get color on my PAL box, or else it's black and white and fuzzy.

$RebelG
07-08-2010, 02:44 AM
I'm just using the yellow and white connectors since there's no input for the red one although the sound works fine. Its just the yellow giving me a black and white screen when it should give me colour instead. I have no money to buy a new TV and its not even mine to begin with. So I'm just wondering if there's any kind of cable that would give the colour to the screen. Just so you know the only inputs on the whole of the TV are the TV signal in the back and then just the yellow and white inputs at the front nothing else :(

Sabrelord
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Hmm..
So you got a UK Pal 360 hooked onto a SD-NTSC TV now?
I'm not sure then, but try a RGB cable that's basicaly the old school one. Maybe someone who's used to import Pal consoles can help here.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&index=blended&field-keywords=rgb%20cable%20360&tag=smtfx1-20

Your TV has a SCART port ? ( the thing to the left on your 1st pic)

$RebelG
07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Nope no SCART port anywhere on the TV or it would of been really simple to get a new cable. Only inputs on the TV are the yellow and white port, and then right round the back is the actual TV signal going into it so I can watch channels. There's nothing else unfortunately.

Sucks being in a guest room that has like a 20+ year old TV in it.

Sabrelord
07-09-2010, 01:22 PM
yeah definitely =(
It should be possible to get it working properly though. I know back with PS1 we needed a so called RGB cable, i think you would call that composite not component, not sure

if you can't find something, and if you got some money to spare i would realy get a new 360 or maybe a cheap 22"-32" PC screen or tv instead of playing black and white >.<

http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitors/review/2008/10/30/Iiyama-ProLite-E2208HDS-Full-HD-22in-Monitor---Exclusive-Review/p1

thats a pretty nice 22" for about 150 bucks

$RebelG
07-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I just immigrated to the US so I have like zero money to spend on such things or I'd of bought a new 360 once I got here. Kind of waiting to get my go ahead to start my application for the Navy, so I've just got to try and live with what I have.

I went to Radio Shack yesterday and told the guys whats up and they gave me a new input into the 360 with the Red, Yellow, White inputs to the TV and it still showed up black and white. So I've come to the conclusion its the 360 itself on that TV. I'd try and see if it worked on a newer TV but I'm not allowed:( Either way I've decided that if I want to play on it I'll have to live with a black and white screen for now. Thanks for helping me out though, but I guess I've been defeated this time.