PDA

View Full Version : Need YOUR input on an Indie Games Shop

LuKa
07-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Hello everyone I posted on here beacuse I thought this topic would be answered best by people like you guys.

Anyways lets get to the point. I am Assistant Manager of a small indie video game chain (4 stores) and we need some ideas to get more customers to come to us and more reasons for them to stay with us instead of going off to the supermarkets or online.

Here are the questions I would like to ask you all:

1, What would YOU like and want to see in a video game store?

2, What would YOU expect to see in a video game store?

3, What do YOU think would be awesome to have in a video game store?

4, What would keep YOU going to a local indie retailer over a national supermarket or going online?

Feel free to be honest and far out with your replies they are all very welcome and will help to boost business.

Many thanks to everyone in advance!!! :)

DopeySO
07-05-2010, 08:29 PM
1- Id like to see import games in an Indie Game store.

2- I expect for them to sell old games all the way back to at least the Atari 2600 all the way up to current consoles and everything in between.

3- I personally think video game tournaments are awesome for Indie Game shops, its a perfect setting and will attract more attention to the store.

4- Knowledgeable staff and good prices would keep me coming. Big chains employees sometimes dont play games or play them very casually. If I go to a Indie Shop I expect the clerk to be a hardcore gamer with knowledge of everything they are selling.

Naffry
07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
1, What would YOU like and want to see in a video game store? I like to see honest people giving honest advice on games. I'm sick of going into Game/Station and asking staff for advice and them just offering you w.e they want to get rid of. I'd like to list out a few games i like in the genre i'm interested in and then getting some feedback regardless of price.

I'd personally like to be able to try out more games, i know we have demos etc on Live, but i'd still like to be able to try more out.

Try some competitions? Have some days when people can come in and pay a couple of quid to participate in a certain challenge to maybe win a copy of the game etc, like Gamestation did with the quickest goal comp when Fifa 2010 World Cup came out. If enough people had a go you'd get the money back for the copy of the game anyway, and have customers in looking around aswell.

4, What would keep YOU going to a local indie retailer over a national supermarket or going online?
I don't really opt in for the whole loyalty thing, if i can find a game cheaper somewhere else then i'll go there. Only difference is with pre-owned games, if i trust a shop more than another one i'd pay the extra couple of quid to buy it from there, perfect example if i'd rather go to HMV/Game over Cex. Maybe just keep competitive prices, do some decent advertising and try not to reach out further afield and maybe focus on the customers in the local area, they're more likely to travel down the down if its competitive enough than pay to go somewhere further afield.

Don't know if any of this makes sense, just my opinions :P

Starstrukk X360A
07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Games of all popularity, not just the best selling kinds.

Friendly service; people that actually know about videogames (I've had bad experiences with people that work at Gamestop and don't know a thing.)

Tournaments. I used to frequent them in my hometown; really made me continue to shop there.

Having multiple games at once so there's always one that I like in stock.

guillermo316
07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
1. I would like to see video games, i don;t think there much you can do to the visual in a video game shop, just keep clean i guess

2. i would expect an awsome service, mmm pre-order bonuses like gamestop.
i would expect the people working there to know about games

3. i think it would be awsome if you have a lounge area in the video game store. like a coffe house in freinds

4. honestly the only thing that would keep me going back is the service.

andami
07-05-2010, 09:30 PM
1. What would YOU like and want to see in a video game store?
A wide selection of games obviously.

2. What would YOU expect to see in a video game store?
Employees who know what they are doing. I hate walking in to stores like GameStop or some other place and seeing a grandma (or worse, a teenager) who doesn't know anything about games.

3. What do YOU think would be awesome to have in a video game store?
Tournaments have always been fun and easy ways to attract business. A good idea for prizes would be either games or gift cards.

Another great feature that I've seen implemented at certain stores is pay-to-play game booths. Basically they get to choose any games they want to play, and they pay you by the hour. It's quicker and easier than renting, especially if you're really into gamerscore and you want to play some (really) easy games in a short period of time but renting them is too expensive or you don't want to wait for GameFly. Or maybe you just want to try out a game and there's not demo on the marketplace. Paying by the hour, which is usually $2 around here, is much cheaper than renting the game.

And probably one of the most important, valued member cards. They, in essence, are the same as an Edge Card. The only difference I would suggest is that instead of paying $15 a month for the card, like GameStop, you could offer a sort of business card, and every time a customer makes a purchase over a set amount, they get a hole punched in the card. When they get enough holes punched, they get a card similar to an Edge Card. It could either be used like the Edge Card, being valid for a whole year, but only taking a small percent off each purchase, or it could be more like a one-time deal where it takes a significant percent of the price off an item, but it only works once.

4. What would keep YOU going to a local indie retailer over a national supermarket or going online?
Competitive prices, friendly service, and a nice atmosphere. I can't tell you how many stores that I've been turned off of because I can't go into them without an employee acting hostile or staring at me like I'm about to pull a gun or stuff my pockets and run. Just because a minimal number of teenagers are crooks doesn't mean I am. Besides, they need to realize that teens are a large portion of video game buyers.

That's my ideas. Some of them probably won't really be that helpful, but they're there anyway :D

TheVoidRose
07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Women

Video Games and sweaty nerds.

Game station(Couch + foot table + tv to play games)

4, What would keep YOU going to a local indie retailer over a national supermarket or going online? Family Friendly service

To be honest, I think it's disrespectful to ask these kind of things on the forum. Personal gain, yada yada..
Why don't you had out fliers around your local area, get more of an idea from the people you service and not the people who will never get to meet you.

LuKa
07-05-2010, 10:11 PM
To be honest, I think it's disrespectful to ask these kind of things on the forum. Personal gain, yada yada..
Why don't you had out fliers around your local area, get more of an idea from the people you service and not the people who will never get to meet you.

I respect what you said there and I totally agree but I wanted to get some feedback from proper gamers like your selfs on a larger scale and if I ask in a place here where only proper gamers come to instead I would get proper straight to the point answers instead of your causal on and off gamers. In other words ask the people who keep this industry alive and not these part time casual gamers who don't really care about the industry.

Naffry
07-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I respect what you said there and I totally agree but I wanted to get some feedback from proper gamers like your selfs on a larger scale and if I ask in a place here where only proper gamers come to instead I would get proper straight to the point answers instead of your causal on and off gamers. In other words ask the people who keep this industry alive and not these part time casual gamers who don't really care about the industry.

I think you have every right to ask questions. I wonder if people say its disrespectful for M$ or other companies to ask for feedback 'cause its exactly the same. I'm sure if the person above was offered a free game to test they'd snatch it like that!

KeepEmRolling
07-05-2010, 10:38 PM
My favorite indie shop ever had the following-

1. Entire staff knew games. They knew what was out, what was coming out, and between the 4 of them had played everything worth playing, going back a couple console generations. They could constantly give me suggestions on what would interest me and were right most of the time.

2. An extensive selection of new and used games. You could kick back on a couple recliners and demo any used game you wanted to. If it was a high profile new game, you could demo that too, because one of the staff would have their copy on site.

3. A large selection of import games including LE/CE editions, anime tie-ins if any, and a few game collectibles like figures/figurines.

4. Customer service above and beyond any other indie/big box store i'd ever been to.

JrdRIOT
07-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Where abouts are your stores based? (just curious)

Fishman
07-05-2010, 10:54 PM

To be honest, I think it is disrespectful to call somebody out like that when they are doing NOTHING wrong. It is a game forum, he is asking about game stores, we are gamers..... he want's solid advice from people like his costumers.

Anyway:

1. Great selection, good prices, and a staff that has knowledge of the gaming world.

2. Like any store I would expect; a friendly staff, a staff that knows about what they are selling.

3. I personally never was interested in the stores competitions. I think having promotional goodies like when you pre-order or buy a certain game is awesome, maybe some in-game content if you are big enough for the developers to do that. Maybe a store magazine/flier/subscription based thing where you offer coupons, info, and maybe 1 free digital goody with each issue. Again you will need to have connections for that.

4. Pretty much all of the above; friendly knowledgeable staff, good selection, good prices, and the basic retail rules (clean store, etc.). I would like to add that convenience is also very important, it ties into the good selection part as well. Convenience, I would rather pay $5-$10 more on a game and buy it in the store than buy the same game online and have to wait, pay shipping, and have the chance of it arrive damaged. Don't raise you prices because of that tho.

LuKa
07-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Where abouts are your stores based? (just curious)

Down in Somerset :)

andami
07-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Down in Somerset :)
So, I have one question then. Is your website new? It's kinda blank, if I'm looking at the right site that is :P

Snowwwwy
07-05-2010, 11:30 PM
1) What would YOU like and want to see in a video game store?
Friendly staff. There is nothing worse than going to a video games store and having cunts serve you that clearly dont want to be there and have no idea what they are selling. Id also like to see as many games as possible, not just bunches of some and whatnot.

2) What would YOU expect to see in a video game store?
Id expect the shelves or tables to be tidy and kept tidy, not like yesterday when I went into EB Games and saw shit all over the place.

3) What do YOU think would be awesome to have in a video game store?
Posters, some awesome music playing, leader boards, and lots of people :)

4) What would keep YOU going to a local indie retailer over a national supermarket or going online?
Cheap prices and a 7 day money back guarantee.

TwinTipZ
07-05-2010, 11:52 PM
1. Friendly Staff

2. Shelves of organized games

3. I think it would be awesome to have a 360, PS3, and Wii set-up for used games. A try before you buy option would be awesome and attract a lot of customers. A disc cleaning and buffering service would be cool along with disc protection offered. Weekly tournaments would be nice too.

4. A try before you buy feature and used retro games on sale.

Coldgears
07-06-2010, 12:15 AM

1: Video games.
2: Video games.
3: Video games.
4: Distance from house.

quickhhh
07-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Well first I would love to see a wide variety of video games. Then a stuff thats knows some what about what they are selling.

Good organization shelves and reasonable prices.

Demos first of all, then have some contest to promote your store. Like a raffle of some kind.

A rewards program, have something to keep your customers interested. Like Buy an X amount of games and get one free. Or after you spend X amount get Y amount in discounts.