PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or are games getting worse all of a sudden?

Bammyj
07-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Recently I've been in somewhat of a gaming slump. Having to resort back to playing trusty pokemon for fun (the recent remakes are top notch if anyone's interested).

This is due to getting hyped about a game, seeing various cinematic trailers, a few nifty bits of gameplay and some nice new ideas. Yet when I come to read a review about them the reviewer tears it to shreds. Lost Planet 2, Naughty Bear and most recently Crackdown 2 have all suffered from this.

Agreed there has been a gem or two this year with red dead redemption, Mass effect 2 and Bayonetta but there has been a lot of shite too.

Do you think xbox games are getting worse or not? Maybe you could point me in the direction of some great games i missed recently. Post back :D x

TwinTipZ
07-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Singularity... try it out.

N3xus Gam3r
07-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Alan Wake, LE All the Way :D

Alice in Wonderland
07-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Alan Wake, LE All the Way :D

Alan Wake is excellent, Dante's Inferno is worth playing imo, I found it really entertaining and enjoyable.

YoungWarrior111
07-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Yea I think there are too many games that are being pushed far too early! With stores already taking orders on games like CoD Black Ops, which won't be out for a good few months, people seem to be jumping to a concept or a series, assuming they will be better than the predecessor, or developers will do a good concept justice. Seems a bit daft to me, I don't want to order a game before I get a few screens and a video at the least, usually a demo too!

In saying that, I did just buy Tiger Woods 11 (I don't agree with a 2011 release this early, but thats another thing lol) and it seems pretty good.

RadiantViper
07-06-2010, 12:07 AM
The answer is to not get yourself too hyped. Try to avoid too many of the trailers and all that, and when the game comes out, you'll be able to judge it more fairly. If you're really interested in a game, ignore the reviews - I'm glad I ignored all the Alpha Protocol reviews, the game is great.

All the good recent games I was going to say, you've already played it seems. Borderlands rules :)

guillermo316
07-06-2010, 12:11 AM
i think game have become less creative.

Starstrukk X360A
07-06-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't think games are getting worse.

People are only let down if they let fall into the hype.
I never bothered with a hype for any game, so I'm never let down.

And "a gem or two" is pretty pathetic. There's been a bunch of new games that people love playing.

elduque2003
07-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Not too many games are setting new standards

Billy69
07-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Recently I've been in somewhat of a gaming slump. Having to resort back to playing trusty pokemon for fun (the recent remakes are top notch if anyone's interested).

This is due to getting hyped about a game, seeing various cinematic trailers, a few nifty bits of gameplay and some nice new ideas. Yet when I come to read a review about them the reviewer tears it to shreds. Lost Planet 2, Naughty Bear and most recently Crackdown 2 have all suffered from this.

Agreed there has been a gem or two this year with red dead redemption, Mass effect 2 and Bayonetta but there has been a lot of shite too.

Do you think xbox games are getting worse or not? Maybe you could point me in the direction of some great games i missed recently. Post back :D x
Nah dude its just you lol

StephenJ360
07-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Actually, I strongly disagree that games are getting worse. Honestly, with all the AAA titles that have come out within the past 6 months of this year, how can you say that?

Mass Effect 2
Bayonetta
God of War 3
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Red Dead Redemption
Alan Wake
Lego Harry Potter
Singularity
Splinter Cell Conviction
Crackdown 2
Super Street Fighter 4
Bioshock 2
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Pokemon SoulSilver & HeartGold

And not to mention all of the down-loadable games that have come out as well. With a list like this, how can you say games are getting bad? These are just games that have come out in SIX months alone. And please feel free to point out any I may have missed. Those are just games that I've gotten.

Fishman
07-06-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't know what you mean by "all of a sudden", but I will list some great games you should try... some brand new, some a year or two old.

Fallout 3 + DLC (GOTY edition)
Fable 2
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age: Origins + DLC
Borderlands + DLC
Lego: Harry Potter Years 1-4
Toy Story 3
Alan Wake
Red Dead Redemption
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Bioshock 2

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

I'm the opposite of you, I think there are too many great games and not enough money to buy them all. Oh, and take what the reviewers say with a grain of salt, who cares what they think it is what you like. I can't count how many times a reviewer and tons of other people say "oh that game is stupid and not even worth a rent" and I love it and buy it.

AltruismIsDead
07-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Try out some Deathsmiles! Just recently released, either $40-$50 bucks and you get a nifty faceplate and soundtrack. One of the best shoot em up games I've ever played.

And to ask, you were hyped to play Naughty Bear? Seriously? I bought it since I am a collector and everything, only played it yesterday since my friends wanted to see how horrible it was (didn't even play it before then, and neither did they) they just assumed it was going to be bad. Although in all honesty I didn't play it, my friends did and what I seen of it actually looked good.... in a B flick kind of way.

Louis BCFC1875
07-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Game aren't getting shit at all, there is some fantastic games coming out this year & next, it's down to the developers if the game is good or not..

Burning Karma
07-06-2010, 02:42 AM
It's just you. There are plenty of quality games released year in and year out.

OhStressyJessy
07-06-2010, 04:04 AM
It's just you. There are plenty of quality games released year in and year out.
This, completely.

There are so many great quality games that have come out in the past year alone... And you can't always trust what a reviewer has to say about games. You need to try out different games for yourself to see if you like it or not. There have been games in the past that I've like that don't get great reviews. It's just a matter of opinion!

If you like a certain genre (RPG, fighting, FPS, etc.) why not research some titles online, then rent a bunch to try them out before committing? You might find some gems that you would never have picked up otherwise, based on reviews or personal biases.

R Rated Love
07-06-2010, 05:16 AM
So new games are terrible, but remakes are top notch? ;)

I don't buy many games, but I've been more than pleased as of late. Bought 3 games this year already, with another coming tomorrow, September, and probably another before the year is over. Couldn't be happier.

crazy W01f 816
07-06-2010, 05:20 AM
People's expectations are way too high these days. That's the problem.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-06-2010, 05:24 AM
People's expectations are way too high these days. That's the problem.

agreed

but the simple fact is that every game can not be a winner....there are hundreds of crap games that come out every year.....it might only noticeable to some people now because 1 or 2 of those 100 are big names ...A lot of big name "triple AAA" as they call it games are coming out now more than they used to, so the more AAA games the more theres bound to be crap or just mediocrity

TsarBlandi
07-06-2010, 08:49 AM
TBF i agree someone of the recent releases either just havent been hyped much so theyve fell through the net or have been overhyped so that people get dissapointed by the final product

personally im bored at the lack of games atm and still mean to go back to play Alan Wake and a few others, but im having more fun playing games like Fable, Mass Effect 1, Red Faction and a few others

Chaosx721
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
There's so many great games this year, I don't see how games are getting worse.

Also don't let reviews determine what you should or shouldn't play. If there's a game that you thought looked like it would be a lot of fun, but getting bad reviews all over, then rent it! For all you know it could be you're game of the year. As long as you have some fun with a game then who cares about the reviews.

YoungWarrior111
07-06-2010, 10:14 AM
If you don't wana pick up titles you think will be bad, rent them, or look in sale items and that sorta thing. I picked up Bioshock 2 recently for 13, which I guess is a plus point to the amount of releases recently, older games are cheap as chips lol.

Bammyj
07-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Kk i may have overexaggerated a bit. I'm not saying "OMG ALL XBOX GAEMS SUCKS NAO"... i'm just saying a lot of titles that should be top 5 star games like lost planet 2/crackdown 2 arn't. Maybe Naughty Bear was a stretch aswell. There's not much in the way of comic, cartoon violence that i have craven since the days of conker.

Alan Wake - I didn't really look into this much as survival horror is probably my least fav genre of game but i could borrow off a mate and give it a try.

Singularity - Will look into this... saw it at my local game store the other day and had never heard of it before. Quite intrigued.

Alpha Protocol - This is another one i fell into the hype trap about then read a review telling me to steer clear. Maybe I will try this after all.

"A lot of big name "triple AAA" as they call it games are coming out now more than they used to, so the more AAA games the more theres bound to be crap or just mediocrity "

Yep i think this is more along the lines of what i'm trying to say.

Well i'm still gonna get crackdown 2 and forget all about the horrifying reviews. Some of you sounded quite offended by me slagging off some of your games so i apologise :P

Dragon83uk
07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I'd say that the problem your seeing is that some games just can't meet the grade set by others, as such they seem really bad. Naughty Bear was by far my biggest dissapointment recently but then if I compare that to something like Red Dead Redemption it's easy to see why. But then I suppose if I was really expecting that much from Naughty Bear I'd of preordered it like I did with Red Dead, instead it was a rental for me and I'm glad it was.

KiaraHakura
07-06-2010, 02:28 PM
i think game have become less creative.

I agree. For the past year or two most major titles that have been released have all (for the most part) fallen within similar genres. For example, no matter where I turn there always seems to be some FPS or RPG game coming out. Add that to the fact that games aren't being given proper time for development. Then there's always those classic fans who buy a game simply because of a name (i.e. Halo, COD, etc). Thus it's only logical that games are becoming less creative, because most of the major games in development are sequels! DX

dorkzilla123
07-06-2010, 02:38 PM
I played the crackdown 2 demo (have not played the first one) and that game looks horrendus. The only thing I found funny was running over the aliens or whatever they were with the car. I was not impressed.

I have to agree, aside from red dead redemption, there have been no real sleeper or blockbuster titles. Granted it's summertime, but a soft time of year is the best time for those type of releases.

My suggestion is to just wait it out until dead rising 2 comes out, or bodycount late 2010/early '11..

ChaosxSH
07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Games aren't necessarily getting worse, but I find that the hype of certain games overshine others. Modern Warfare 2, Halo Reach, Black Ops (I'm seeing a trend here...) all take the spotlight, and other games don't get nearly as much attention as they deserve. I'm definitely a victim to this, seeing as 99% of the games I own are FPS' or rhythm games. :P