PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer 101, AKA how I got to Prime Mode already.

v0lum3
07-06-2010, 04:54 AM
I've noticed a lot of people on here having trouble with one class or another and I can completely understand that. They all play quite differently but if you want to get to Prime Mode you have to use all of them. So I'm posting some tips and advice for all the classes, and playing MP in general. Now, I am currently 19th in the world on kills and 12th on Power Struggle. I've hit prime mode and I've actually leveled all of my classes to 17 again as of last night. I don't play a ridiculous amount, probably a few hours a night, but I do know what I'm talking about.

This is pretty long so I’ll break it into a few posts, this post will have general tips for playing and leveling, then each of the next four posts will be dedicated to a specific class, soldier, leader, scout, and then scientist. So if you're here looking for help with a specific class, just scroll down. So here goes:

First off, XP tips:

If you want maximum XP to level with, stay away from Deathmatch, there's very little XP to be found in it even if you're top of the mountain all of the time. Conquest or Power Struggle will both give you the opportunity to pull in several thousand XP per game even without getting many kills, especially Conquest, I've had teammates net over 5k with only one or two kills. A hill cap is worth 150 XP, a base kill is only 50 xp, even with the bonuses most kills won't be worth much more than a single hill cap, and each kill points only go to one person, so if 3 people shoot someone, one gets the full amount and the rest only get 25xp, whereas a capture on a hill will net you ALL 150 XP, not to mention any kills you get while capturing.

So this is my advice: Get one or two friends who will help you and just always always always be capturing. Ignore ANY hill you own, and if they're taking your hill, let them. If you don't have anything else to capture, line up outside the hill and wait for them to get it, then kill them, get some points there, and re-take it for more points. But always, always, always be involved with the objective. The same applies to PowerStruggle, be in the hill at all times. There are bonuses for defending the hill, killing people in the hill, etc., so be in the hill as much as you can. (note, these are also great tips for getting MVP)

General advice:

Make sure you know the maps, learn where ammo and health spawn as you SHOULD be picking these up constantly. If you own a hill in PS but you're out of health, get out of there, you will just die pointlessly and it's always faster to get health, maintain your killstreak, and stay in the fight than it is to respawn and drive all the way back across the map. And for God's sake, know where the overshield is, it doubles your health, it even refills your health before giving you the shield, it doesn't shrink like Halo Overshield, and in almost every game I play me or my teammates are the only people that ever pick it up. If you're a scientist, especially, you can control this the entire game from the opening bell, so know where it is.

NEVER EVER EVER hold still. Don't try to snipe from a perch, don't try to stand still to get a good headshot, etc., you WILL just get killed. People will see your tracers they will find you, and you will die. Take a few shots, sure, but then move on. People that camp in one spot are never any good. Yes, moving as a scout bounces your sniper scope, I know that, but minimize the time you spend not moving, or move slowly side to side, just anything to keep you from being an easy target because people will take advantage of that (I do all the time, in fact as of yesterday my teammates now joke that they haven't read "v0lum3's guide" lol) And don't just assume that because you're in cloak that you're safe, I headshot stationary cloak guys too.

Throw your grenades, use your abilities, etc., don’t sit on them, dying with them is just a waste. Now, that being said, if you can get a kill without using one, especially for an ability that takes forever to come back, try and save it for an opportune moment, but if it’s a close fight, use that ability. The amount of times that someone has used their whirlwind on me when a simple melee would have killed me anyways astounds me, they're so reliant on their abilities that they use them at the first opportunity they get even when it's unecessary and then they have no tools when they could have really used that ability. Don't be that guy, use your abilities when they make a difference, not when you've already won.

Another great advice is to switch classes mid-game if it's not working for you. Don't stay locked into a class that you're getting dominated using, press the start button and switch your class. Problems with big guys? Switch to a scout and play distance. Problems with explosives? Switch to a class w/ Flak Armor and take away their advantage. Keep losing when you commit to combat? Switch to a scientist and play hit and run games. But don't keep doing something that isn't working!

General Perk Tips:

I try to mostly use static perks, what I mean by that are perks which help you all of the time as opposed to perks that help you only during specific things. I prefer a perk which ALWAYS helps you instead of one that boosts a specific ability or a specific weapon. for example, as a soldier I prefer sharpshooter (decreased weapon spread) over P.O.K.E. Alpha (increased damage during whirlwind) While poke will help you while using whirlwind, sharpshooter will help you all the time. Now some abilities you will use a lot due to low cooling time (cloak, disguise, etc.) these abilities may warrant perks which strengthen them.

When it comes to your classes find weapons and gear that works for you and set up most of your classes similarly, but have different perks for different situations. A flak armor class for when you’re up against a lot of explosives, a non-flak armor class for when it’s not a factor. Just remember to do small tweaks and remember to switch classes based on what you’re up against, it can make a difference.

Leveling tips

A LOT of people level a single character all of the way to 25, personally I hate the idea of this and heavily discourage it. I always level all of my classes at the same time or at least close to the same time so that when I get bored or encounter a situation where I feel I would be more effective with a different class I can just switch. It’s not always beneficial to be a scout or a scientist, it’s nice to know that when something else could be gaining me XP I can use it and switch, or that when I'm frustrated with playing a certain class that I can switch to one of my favorites for a break. It also helps avoid getting too far into the mentality of a single class and forgetting how to use the other classes. Don't think that if you've leveled a class to 25 already that it's too late, level the other three together. A lot of people tend to level their favorite classes first and then they're stuck playing classes they dislike which can make the game a lot less fun.

Killstreak Tips I see a lot of people wasting killstreaks when they could be used more effectively or simply using them the moment they get them. Make sure once you earn a killstreak that you know what it does, and try not to use it until you have a tactical advantage to gain by using it. Also killstreaks of the same kind will NOT stack and be usable later, so use them before earning another. Telling your teammates what killstreaks you have can be beneficial to both of you as well, letting them call for your help when they can use your killstreak to keep them alive or defeat an enemy is just as useful as you using it for yourself. Also, any killstreaks you have not used before you die will help you once you respawn, unlike COD any kills you get from a killstreak will count toward your next killstreaks, so if you reach a 7-kill streak, try to die before using it so that it helps you build up another streak. Chaining killstreaks is a very effective way to dominate your enemies.

Teamwork Tips:

Communicate with your teammates, if you're going to warcry get everyone nearby in range first, let them know you're going to warcry in the hill or on A or whatever, but if they don't come don't worry, it's their problem, you did your part. Don't use timed powerups until necessary, don't warcry, hover, or drop an ammo beacon until bullets are incoming to maximize its usefulness. If you're going for a conquest point call it out so that everyone knows the plan, anyone who is listening will know what's going on and it will make a big difference. Call out when you pick up overshield, all you have to do is subtract 2 minutes from the time you pick it up and call it out, that's when the overshield will respawn and your whole team can know exactly when it's available.

v0lum3
07-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Now, class tips, biggest to smallest:

SOLDIER:

The most important thing to remember when you're a soldier is that you have more health than anyone you're fighting, except another soldier. But while you have MORE health, you're slower as well, which means if you let them escape they will get to health faster than you can, and you will have more trouble getting to a health pickup. So this means KILL whoever you're fighting, don't let them get away, but don't chase them too hard (good players punish chasers) just remember that your goal is to KILL them. They may be wanting to just injure you, but you're there to kill. If you’re in a fight, you’re in it till it’s over, commit, stay involved, and don’t let them run if you can avoid it.

WEAPONS:

Your primary weapon should ALWAYS be the X12 minigun, it's a great weapon, it spins up pretty quickly, and is very forgiving and flexible. Don't try to spin up the minigun early, you'll just waste ammo, it spins up fast enough on its own, and once you start firing, KEEP firing, try to get a line on your enemy, don't drop your trigger and let it cool down all the way (you can pulse it to save a bit of ammo if you like) a lot of people will back around a corner and just pop back out assuming you'll stop firing like most people, so DON'T stop, once you stop you're much weaker than them when they reappear. It's better to exhaust your rounds and have to switch to your secondary than end up in a cat and mouse game where you're constantly trying to wind up your weapon. Also if you exhaust all the ammo in your clip the gun will instant fire the next time you fire it up, remember this and remember when you've emptied your clip. If you're zoomed in while spinning up the first few rounds of the minigun are still very accurate and will likely hit your target, use this when needed to get a few more points of damage on someone while your weapon comes up, but if they don't see you, don't hit them with the first rounds so that they're suddenly under a hail of minigun fire instead of getting a few warning shots.

Secondary weapon is down to personal choice, if you're good with it, the EMP shotgun is a great weapon (ammo matrix can turn it into a MONSTER) Pace your shots with this weapon, you only get two shots so make sure they count, put them right on an enemy's chest for maximum damage (don't waste time trying to get headshots)

the assault rifle is great for hit and run characters since it has no spin up time, but I personally don't use it very often since it has pretty low damage.

The rockets are a good weapon for anyone who you find in vehicle form, and will work all right on robot forms if you have heavy weapons equipped. Don't forget that it locks on, I rarely see anyone else use the lock on feature of the rockets, the lock on is amazing in this game for all weapons, if it's locked on, just fire, you can sling rounds around corners, over pipes, over ledges, etc., the bullets can do 180 degree changes quickly so FIRE when you have a lock. If you see someone transforming to flee, switch and let the rocket follow them.

ABILITIES:

Hover is the bread and butter of a soldier, hover will get you away from enemy whirlwind spam, it increases your damage dealt, and can give you interesting lines on hills from unpredictable angles. I ALWAYS use Hover. The perk which increases hover time isn't necessary as you should normally be dropping out of hover after getting one or two kills to keep from being an easy target (use the jump button to drop)

Whirlwind is entirely overused, overrated, it will rarely kill a good player since it's fairly easy to avoid, the perks which boost it to the point that it's useful tie up your perk slots where you could be using perks which help you at all times instead of only once or twice per spawn, and let's just face it, it's boring and lacks creativity. I heavily suggest learning not to rely on whirlwind, it's just not worth it. IF you like to use it or whatever, don't use P.O.K.E. Alpha, which increases its damage, only use Flurry of Blows, which increases your movement speed, increasing damage isn't needed since if you do trap someone in it they will normally be unable to escape. If you're whirlwinding you can cancel it two ways, throwing a grenade or transforming, don’t just sit there in a low mobility mode when you have nothing to hit.

Ammo beacon is a great perk for Powerstruggle since it will boost all your teammates in the hill. Any time you plan on setting up shop, bring an ammo beacon. The perks for the beacon aren't really needed as it does plenty on its own. Also, don’t bother with it in a fast moving gametype like conquest where you won’t be hanging around it longer than a few seconds.

Energon sling is another perk that I really like on my soldier, use it to destroy any other soldier who is dependent on their whirlwind ability, just blast them in the face and watch them stand around in confusion. Or use it on a warcried leader to shut him down and take away his warcry buff, or slap it on a hovering soldier to bring him back down to your level. It’s a very flexible ability when used with creativity and is a perfect counter to enemy abilities. This is one of my favorite abilities. Don’t forget that you have to actually aim this one too.

PERKS:
Sharpshooter can turn the minigun into a very long range weapon, I always keep a class with this perk on it while using a soldier, trust me, it’s awesome. Heavy weapons is an acceptable perk to swap sharpshooter out for, especially if you’re using rockets (makes them much better) but I rarely get rid of sharp shooter.

Flak armor is a perk which a lot of people go without… DON’T. Flak armor makes the dreaded fusion cannon a watergun, it reduces half the weapons you get hit by in this GAME to pathetic damage levels and you’ll feel like a juggernaut against the right enemies. Mines, ‘nades, rockets, etc., just bounce off you. Use and keep flak armor on a soldier class at all times.

First aid, once unlocked, is a GREAT perk. Most of the other slot 3 perks are not that beneficial, I honestly can’t even notice a difference when using Weapon Stabilizer, but I DEFINITELY notice first aid. There is almost NO delay to your health regen when using it, allowing you to regen a little bit of health EACH time you’re out of direct combat. Stretch that ability across six health bars and it can make a huge difference for a soldier.

Even though I gear all these guides for low level characters while building up to 25, it is worth mentioning that once you get there, swap out Flak Armor on one of your classes for Improved Heatsink (faster reload) as it’s incredibly beneficial for your soldier. If you’re not being blasted by explosives, this is a great perk to have around.

KILLSTREAKS:

3 kills: Ammo Beacon. The Ammo Beacon does two important things, the first of which is reloading ALL ammo (this includes grenades) the second is locking your weapon's clip for a few seconds allowing you to have infinite ammo without reloading until it wears off. There is no timer visible, and it only lasts for around 10 seconds, but during this time you do not have to reload. Use this time wisely, use it when you're almost out of ammo in your mini-gun but you still have enemies coming in, use it when multiple enemies arrive and you're holding an EMP shotgun, etc., you can activate this ability while firing so use it at an opportune time. Also, if you are playing with friends or teammates who listen, tell them to throw their grenades before you activate it, an extra heal grenade which they get back free can make a big difference.

5 kills: Electromagnetic Pulse. Use this ability wisely, it does a one time energon sling to every enemy alive, so try not to activate it immediately after getting it as you know that at least the one enemy you just killed won't be effected by it. Try to remember that you have it and use it to your advantage, activate it when you see an enemy whirlwinding, or you see a group with warcry on, use it to turn the tables on the enemy, if they know their abilities are jammed they will play differently so use it when they think they have their abilities and take that away at the last second.

7 Kills: Omega Missile. This is probably the weakest killstreak in the game, it's slow moving but does a ton of damage, it's hard to aim and very easy to accidentally detonate. If you're going to try to use it effectively, try to get a safe distance away from a hill or node where you know enemies are and fire it, try not to be too exposed because you can still be shot while firing it, but don't be in cover as it tends to detonate on anything nearby. I tend to enjoy using this more as a kamikaze weapon when I encounter three or more enemies and I know I will lose the fight, I just blow them all up and chuckle. Warning, don't try to fire it while very low on health because if you die after activating but before it fires you will lose it. Make sure you've got at least two bars before firing.

v0lum3
07-06-2010, 04:55 AM
LEADER
Now the leader is my personal favorite class, that being said, most people suck with it and just whore warcry and Fusion cannon… The leader is very similar in usage to the soldier, you want to be near soldiers whenever possible, and you make up the core strength of your team. Be nearby, help shoot what a soldier is shooting, and don’t be afraid to commit to combat with your soldier teammates, or other leaders.

WEAPONS:

The Ion Blaster is always my primary weapon when playing Leader, using it to light up anyone your teammates are shooting at will normally result in you stealing the kill because of the high rate of fire, and its clip is usually perfectly capable of dropping someone on its own. It’s not a long range weapon though so don’t try firing it at any real distance. Don’t forget about the Leader’s truck rockets, they fire very rapidly and can do a lot of damage to a hill from the outside before you enage.

The Fusion Cannon is what most people are familiar with when facing leaders, but try not to overly rely on it. Also be intelligent when using it, shoot scientists and scouts first, they do NOT have Flak Armor available and are always vulnerable to the Fusion Cannon, so hit them as you know it will hurt. If you’re shooting a soldier or leader and it doesn’t seem to be going well, switch to your Ion Blaster and finish them, never reload a Fusion Cannon against either of these as you’re probably not hurting them badly enough if you’re reloading and you will just lose this fight.

The Battle Pistol is a very overlooked weapon in my opinion of the leader, it can add some much needed range to the leader and let you compete with scouts and scientists at distance. I usually keep a class with this weapon built on it as a secondary with all perks matching my main leader class.

The Magma Frag Launcher, IMHO is mostly forgettable. It can be handy for booby trapping a hill or node while waiting on enemies to get there, but in combat it’s not as flexible or reliable as the other tools available for the leader. However, it can be a fun change of pace and definitely isn’t a bad alternative. If you like it, use it.

ABILITIES:

Warcry. First and foremost, the giant thorn in everyone else’s side, warcry. I see a LOT of people waste this perk. Never, unless absolutely necessary, warcry without teammates near you. Yes, it will help you, but it’s TWICE as effective when used on one more teammate, three times as effective when used on two teammates, etc., always try to get your teammates together before setting it off, call it out, group up, etc., and maximize it. Always wait until the last possible moment before taking damage to activate it, wait until enemies are incoming, wait until you’ve been hit, etc., don’t just set it off when arriving at a hill, set it off when it will make the biggest impact. It gives you a %50 boost to armor and a %20 boost to damage.

Barrier. I don’t know about anyone else, but I can’t wait to get rid of this ability, not only is it rarely effective, and it can be used against you as easily as used against your enemies, but there is no additional XP available by using this ability, no challenges to complete, etc., it’s just useless. Yes, it can be used to block sniper rounds from one direction while capturing a node, but you can just as easily step behind cover. I just don’t really see the use in using this one.

Moleculon Bomb. This one seems to be very effective for some people, but for the most part I find it situationally useful. If you’re going to use it, throw it at enemies who are whirlwinding, throw it at enemies who you see transform to escape, it will stop boost while in vehicle mode and will net you a ton of kills used that way, it will also help you to stay away from whirlwinders, people with P.O.K.E. 2.0 killstreaks, etc., Just don’t expect it to be an overwhelming momentum swing in battle, just think of it as a subtle influence on the fight.

Disruption. Now, this perk I personally love, it’s probably my favorite perk in the game. It’s a perfect counter to whirlwind spammers, they like to kick back, relax, and let their character take care of everything, when you shove them back into vehicle form suddenly they’re screwed, caught off guard, and defenseless. Remember that you have to actually aim the disrupt, so put it on people chasing straight at you, P.O.K.E. 2.0 users are great targets as well. Oh, it can also help you complete some of the harder challenges (shooting down planes w/ Fusion Cannons is one I always use it for)

PERKS:

My typical first slot perk is Rally, I find that it makes the range of the warcry ability much larger and you will be able to hit everyone nearby. Really, however, I would say that any ability in this slot which boosts your warcry is good. Oh, I hate that there are no global perks for this slot on leader, so just go with a warcry boost, time, damage, or range, whatever you like. (on a funny note, corrode w/ chaos master on slot two can be hilarious and net you some strange kills)

For Slot 2, I usually run Flak Armor (same reasons as with a soldier) Flak armor is a perk which a lot of people go without… DON’T. Flak armor makes the dreaded fusion cannon a watergun, it reduces half the weapons you get hit by in this GAME to pathetic damage levels and you’ll feel like a juggernaut against the right enemies. Mines, ‘nades, rockets, etc., just bounce off you. Use and keep flak armor on one of your leader classes at all times. For an alternative to Flak Armor I will keep a class with Martyrdom built until I reach reserve power cells. The only problem I run into with Martyrdom is remembering not to drop my mine, but it still is very useful, just remember to keep a flak armor class available in case you encounter explosive problems. Reserve power cells, most people don’t realize, but will actually let you be picked up by anyone on your team when you’re down.

For Slot 3 I prefer First Aid (yet again) to all of the other perks. And as mentioned before, once you’ve reached it, Rapid Recharge is a great perk.

KILLSTREAKS:

3 Kills: Intercooler. Now, this is a great perk for your scientist and scout teammates, but it really has limited benefits for you as a leader. Try to call this streak in just after your warcry wears off so that you can get it back faster, make sure you've got both of your skills on regen if you want to get the most out of this killstreak.

5 Kills: P.O.K.E. 2.0. Hands down one of the most powerful killstreaks in the game, the one hit kill sword you get will kill ANYONE it touches, warcried, overshielded, it does not matter they die. Try to have something when you call this in to ensure you will get the most out of it, at least a warcry if not an overshield of your own. I love to save this killstreak until I've died and use it to chain together another P.O.K.E. it's a little cheap, but it's very effective. The melee for this streak is very fast and will lunge quite a distance to hit people. Don't call this one in while low on health since you don't want to waste it.

7 Kills: Thermo Mine Respawner. Another powerful killstreak, this one lets you drop a trail of mines behind you for a little while. You will drop mines while in vehicle form or on foot, I find that they're most effective when ringing around a hill, or while dropping in the middle of combat, I tend to jump around a lot while in combat with it so that my enemies can't hit me while the mines go to work. Just remember that the mines are going to have to hit someone with at least two of them to get you a kill, so either be shooting enemies at the same time or have at least two together by a door.

v0lum3
07-06-2010, 04:56 AM
SCOUT:

This class is NOTHING like the two previous classes. If the soldier and leader are a cudgel for pounding your enemies into submission, the scout is a scalpel for picking them apart with precision. Remember when you’re a scout that distance is your friend, surprise is your ally, and prolonged combat is BAD. When you engage an enemy only engage when you know you can’t be retaliated against, hit and disappear, win fast or run, the longer you hang around the faster you will die. Hide in the shadows next to your teammates and attack who they attack, use whatever is around you to make up for your lowered health, and not every fight you engage in should you want to see through to the end. If you’re being hit you should probably escape.

WEAPONS:

For my primary as a scout I always run the scatter blaster. It’s a fast firing weapon w/ 6 shots, while it doesn’t do nearly the amount of damage the EMP shotgun does, it makes up for it in volume of shots. But try not to spam them too much, if you can hit your target (straight line, standing still, etc.) unload, if not pick and choose your shots, don’t waste them or you will quickly exhaust the clip. When coming out of cloak the scatter blaster can be your opponent’s worst nightmare though, and it’s by far the most reliable weapon the scout carries.

As a secondary the most common weapon is the Null Ray, if you can hit with it, it does massive damage. I could spend hours talking about using this weapon but I’ll try to do it quick and dirty: Zoomed, don’t move your feet too much, it rocks the reticule like crazy. Try to only scope just before a shot, don’t stay in it too long, use the reticule you have while unzoomed to get you close and then zoom in for the shot. If you get REALLY good with doing this you can quick scope this weapon like mad, try to quick scope as much as you can to get used to it and use it when in close quarters while holding a null ray, you will probably be surprised at how reliable and powerful it can be. Always scope and fire the MOMENT you become fully zoomed. No-scoping does not work reliably with this weapon. Try to always fire on the largest target you see, tanks and trucks are particularly easy to hit. With the cloak damage boost you will be able to two shot most enemies, so practice and it will pay off. Don’t try to pick a ledge and snipe or hide in a corner and snipe, it won’t work very well. Try to shoot static, hovering, or enemies running in straight lines, don’t try to snipe jumping scouts and scientists, you’ll usually just waste shots, switch to the scatterblaster and go to work.

It’s worth noting that the guns on your car mode as a scout function much like an SMG and are very powerful in their own right. They can be used in a pinch quite effectively, and if you get good with the boost avoidance ability while in car mode you can be quite devastating with it.

The Battle Pistol. Again, a very overlooked weapon, I usually have this as an alternative on one of my scouts since it can be quite powerful in the right situations. Think of it as a poor man’s sniper with less damage but a much more reliable hip fire and you’ll get the idea.

The Plasma Cannon is probably the only weapon in the game that I absolutely despise. It’s garbage. I haven’t seen anyone use this weapon worth a crap.

ABILITIES:

Cloak. This is the core of the scout class. Use cloak constantly. But don’t try to use it for just driving around or traveling the map, use it before you enter combat so that it doesn’t run out. While it lasts fairly long, you don’t want to be caught with it dropping at an inopportune time. I have this ability on all of my scouts and always will. A few tips about cloak, if you're in a fight don't try to activate it while being shot the enemy will just see it and you'll just lose it. Now, that may be fine if you only want to get the Surprise Attack perk damage boost, but if you're like me you'll usually want to get some benefit from your cloak first. Try stepping behind a pillar or a wall or doorway before activating, turn it on when the enemy's line of sight is broken, then jump back the way you came over their heads, a lot of times you'll wind up with a confused enemy searching frantically for you while you're reloading right behind them.

Dash: This is a very useful tool for a scout, letting you escape situations and confuse the crap out of enemies. It can get you out of whirlwind situations quickly and is just an all around useful perk. I tend to not use this one too much, however, since as a scout I’m rarely in a situation where I need to escape that quickly and tend to fight from the outskirts and edges of a battle. But the all around flexibility and usefulness of dash should not be underestimated, it's a very reliable tool and can help you out a lot if you remember to use it.

Decoy Trap. While humorous, not wholly useful. If you use it, drop it, camo, and watch it hoping that an enemy triggers it… that’s about all it’s good for.

Mark Target. This is one of those tools I use a lot. Mark target on an enemy makes them significantly weaker. I haven’t figured out the exact stats, but it really makes a difference, typically allowing you to one shot an enemy, single melee scientists and scouts, etc., this ability completely negates the armor buff from Warcry and is one of my favorite tools to use when fighting a hit and run scout or scientist. I’m beginning to see this more and more in game and it’s extremely annoying being on the receiving end of one. Unlike most other individually targeted abilities, this one you don’t waste if you miss your target, so spam it at the enemy you want tagged until it works.

PERKS:

Slot one is ALWAYS surprise attack. While it only boosts you when coming out of camo, that boost is significant, and as a scout you’re always coming out of camo so it is worth it. All of the rest of the perks, IMHO, are worthless.

Slot two, is always health matrix. As a scout you don’t have a lot of health, but if you can take only one or two bars of damage in a battle, you will get it all back from this perk, and that’s worth it in my eyes. Some people run ghost here, but I feel that the camo on its own, with proper management, gives you more than enough time to do what you need. If you’re hiding in camo long enough to need ghost, you’re probably not being of use to your team. I don’t ever run any other perk here.

Slot three, just like I keep saying, is where I put FIRST AID (until Rapid Recharge) With the hit and run nature of the scout first aid is always rewarding in my eyes and just becomes something that I miss whenever I don’t have it.

KILLSTREAKS:

3 Kills: Orbital Beacon. Basically a UAV, the Orbital Beacon simply puts tracking beacons on all the enemies on the field. It lasts for quite a while and is usually very handy. This one can simply be activated when you get it.

5 Kills: Energon Recharger. A very handy little tool, it recharges your health constantly when activated for 30 seconds. Use it when low on health instead of trying to find a health pack, or use it just before going into heavy fighting with multiple enemies. Just remember that you're not invincible while using it. It's better to activate the energon recharger and not take any damage than to activate it and take too much.

7 Kills: Orbital Beacon 2.0. Now this one does two things simultaneously, it mark targets EVERY enemy on the field, and it simultaneously hits them with an EMP. Never activate this one randomly as it doesn't hit anyone who is currently dead and since that will waste the secondary function of it, the EMP blast. Use it when initiating combat since it will give you and your teammates a strong advantage.

v0lum3
07-06-2010, 04:57 AM
SCIENTIST:

The scout and the scientist are brothers, you want to play them very similarly. However, the scientist is the trickier, faster of the two. He’s the one with lots of gadgets and lots of speed, but he can’t really take a punch, so to speak. The scientist takes reduced damage from melee, but he still takes over two bars, and with only three to spare that means if you’ve been hit by ANYTHING else you will die from a single melee… so don’t get in melee fights, you will almost always lose. Instead, keep a reasonable distance and pepper enemies with shots. Like all classes try to shoot anything you see a teammate shooting, this is especially important with the scientist as drawing fire to yourself is a BAD idea. If you’re being shot, RUN, don’t think about it, do it, you usually won’t live if you try to return fire. Mark the enemies’ location in your mind, fly off, circle back, and try again. But don’t stay in prolonged fights and don’t trade bullets. Transform and fly away a LOT. Throw your health grenades too… don’t die with one on you unless you get completely blindsided, and always try to throw them near your allies, they can heal in them while you’re healing too… in fact try to call these out like you would with warcry, get as many people in it as you can (you get XP if you get three BTW)

WEAPONS:

First and foremost my primary as a scientist is always the EMP shotgun. This weapon is very powerful, especially when coupled with disguise to get you close enough to enemies and the movement speed of a scientist. Just be very careful with your shots, HIT THEM, it can one shot enemies so do that, if you miss both shots, disengage and try again. Don’t hang around trying to reload and start over, confusion and surprise are what you should always go for, once they see you you’re at a disadvantage.

My preferred secondary is the burst rifle. This is one of the most versatile weapons in the game. It does massive damage, is fairly accurate when hip fired, can be quickscoped like a sniper rifle, can three shot scouts and two shot scientists, and it has amazing range. Think of it like the battle rifle from Halo 2 and you’ll see what I mean. Use this weapon on the outskirts of a battle, cover teammate’s, drop incoming enemies, etc., it will even perform reliably enough in close quarters.

The healing gun, however, is something I usually just don't use. If I want to heal my teammates I use repair sentries since they can heal us all and require no attention while doing it. If placing a heal turret remember to put it off to the side of the objective you’ve put it on since it has long range but cannot heal teammates directly underneath it. This weapon does poor damage to enemies too. Don't use it unless all you want to do is heal.

The assault rifle, I consider a bad choice on a scientist… when compared to the burst rifle it’s nowhere near as flexible and when compared to the EMP shotgun it’s nowhere near as powerful, it’s kind of in between the two, which is all right, but the other two are stronger in their respective roles.

ABILITIES:

Spawn Sentry. A ton of people use this, but as an enemy I just find them a minor annoyance, I can usually melee one before it even fires at me and if I’m at distance I just put a few shots into it… really I just see sentries as a free 25 XP. Sure they get a few kills, but they usually do nothing.

Shockwave: Shockwave is a very flexible tool for scientists. As a scientist controlling distance is your friend and shockwave does just that, pushing away enemies who are in melee range, or shoving enemies off the map, or giving you room to transform to run, or pushing opponents off of the hills they control. Just remember that when you shockwave there will be a big hole in the group of enemies you just blasted and at least a few of them will start looking toward the center of that hole, don't be standing there when they start shooting that way.

Drain. I’ve seen this work great, and I’ve seen it fail miserably. It all depends IMO on the attentiveness of your enemies. When you have three idiots to drain it’s remarkable allowing you to shotgun and melee through them like a beast, when you have two enemies with brains in their heads they just follow the big yellow beams and melee you in the face. Since this ability requires you to be very close to your enemies, points right at you, reduces your movement speed, and gives you no escape option, I usually find it counterproductive to what I’m trying to do as a scientist and I don’t use it. As a scientist you only have 3 bars of health, so most of the time you don't have health to regain from Drain, and unlike shockwave which has multiple uses and can help you escape to fight again later, drain only has one function: To damage your enemies. You shouldn't need it for the heal since you have health nades and speed to get to health pickups. Also don't combine this with shockwave as they are counterproductive to each other.

Disguise. I think this ability is a little underused actually. It lasts FOREVER when you put it on (until you break it by firing, or until you get shot) it stops enemy rockets from locking onto you and it is a great tool in helping you escape or attack enemies. Don’t think of it like cloak though, don’t try to hide in plain view. Instead, try to skirt your enemies’ periphery, don’t let them stare right at you if you can avoid it and if you see one doing it, retreat and try to approach again. Let them see you, but be above their reticule, be in the outside of their view, be wherever they won’t want to aim to make sure you’re who you appear to be. I always buff this ability, Friendly Fire and Master of Disguise make this ability IMHO even more powerful than the scout's cloak since YOU decide when it comes off once you have Master of Disguise. Oh and don't forget, when you are disguised you can use any abilities without dropping disguise, so you can shockwave, drain, or drop a turret while still disguised.

PERKS:

My slot 1 perk is usually energon storm at first the increase to shockwave is quite useful, until you unlock something better. Once I unlock it my healing class will carry the repair sentry to help out teammates. And once it’s unlocked you will want Friendly Fire on your main killing scientist. This perk is just as good as surprise attack is for the scout! When using the repair sentry I like to think of it as a slower, regenerating health grenade.

My slot two perk, once unlocked is almost ALWAYS Master of Disguise. This perk is amazing, I don’t even like to run disguise without it. The ability to choose when your disguise goes down is awesome, letting you disguise and run even while under fire, thus preventing more enemies from jumping in and shooting at you since they’ll likely mistake you for an ally until you’re already gone.

For slot three, (I know it’s getting old) but you can’t go wrong with First Aid. However, I do like to use sanctuary quite a lot as well since it more than doubles the time out for health ‘nades.

KILLSTREAKS:

3 kills: Health Matrix 2.0. This killstreak effectively gives everyone on your team an upgraded version of the scout's health matrix for 30 seconds. This is probably the only killstreak that I instantly activate whenever I earn it, I may wait until combat has begun but the nature of the killstreak is that it's beneficial for the next thirty seconds and it does nothing which screws over your enemies, so unless you can predict when precisely you or a teammate will get a kill, just get this one out there and let it help out your team.

5 Kills: Overshield Matrix. Now this streak can be very beneficial with a little timing. I almost always have an overshield on as a scientist, and if I don't then I've usually got one of these on standby, using these to help teammates is also another great idea, watching enemies swarm a hill and start to get the upperhand and then turning the tables by suddenly giving your entire team overshields is a particularly nasty use for it. You can use it when you've been surprised and taken some heavy damage to avoid dying, etc., it's very useful, but don't just instantly activate this one as that will usually just result in your enemies being much more cautious, use it to net you and your teammates a few easy kills upon activation.

7 Kills: Nucleon Shock Cannon. A completely ridiculous weapon, the giant super rocket launcher turret from campaign kills anything without flak armor or warcry or overshield in one shot, and most other things in two. You get ten shots with this, and it reduces your movement speed. Always wait until you've died to call this one in, and I tyically will try to have a two or three killstreak going before I call it in to try to ensure I get to ride it out until I get another one (also so that I might have an overshield matrix on standby so I get to keep it) One thing to remember is that if you die holding this, it doesn't go with you, it stays on the field and ANYONE can pick it up. You can even hand this off if you desire to a soldier or leader or scout to help them with their killstreaks if you feel generous. If you have competent teammates always tell them when you're calling one in so they can watch your back and keep the enemies from getting their hands on this monster.

Happy Hunting,
V0LUM3

SvD.HaZe
07-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Awesome guide man. Thanks

LordDVS
07-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Great tips! I've not been able to play this game as much as I would like, but still try to get in some MP when I can. I was playing only TDM for a while, then I noticed I got way more XP in Conquest. Besides, it's much more fun than TDM/DM anyway.

UCB Disco
07-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Dude, you saved my ass on SO many levels! Thank you so much for this guide. Really, really, really good and detailed.

v0lum3
07-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Dude, you saved my ass on SO many levels! Thank you so much for this guide. Really, really, really good and detailed.

lol, you're welcome, that's what I was hoping to do. And thanks :)

Jefferrz
07-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Really cool tips. I myslef have shot many an enemy in the face with the shot gun while in disguise. One shotgun blast later they realise I was not ha ha ha ha. Gotta love it

Eksy
07-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Sweet guide!
One thing I haven't tried with my scientist yet was the disguise.
I'll have to give it a go next time I'm on.

MADasaHatter
07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Awesome. Way better than I would've done it but I guess that's why you've Primed already.

I had no idea that you can debuff warcry with a soldier. I only used it on spinning soldiers but it'll be useful against that damn mega buff. Thanks.

Psychedelic224
07-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Amazing guide helped me out alot!

With that out of the way. Theres a mistake under scientist in the "weapons" section. where you've said "First and foremost my primary as a scout is always the EMP shotgun."

might want to correct it ^_^

again amazing guide :)

Typhoid999
07-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Many thanks to the TC, this is one of the most in depth MP guides I have ever seen. Can't wait to try some of this out.

normalipromise
07-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Over double XP weekend I actually leveled my LEAST favorite class to 25, so I could have fun grinding the rest of the classes.

Other than that, I pretty much follow everything in this guide.

v0lum3
07-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Many thanks to the TC, this is one of the most in depth MP guides I have ever seen. Can't wait to try some of this out.

lol, you're welcome, and all my MP guides are usually this in-depth, I don't create one unless I have a lot to offer :)

Xanamaros
07-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Nice guide, very well written.

One this I noticed:
A hill cap is worth 150 XP, a base kill is only 50 xp, even with the bonuses most kills won't be worth much more than a single hill cap,
When playing properly in TDM, I usually end up with a K/D of roughly 15/1. This means almost half the kills are mine, now when knowing what bonusses you can get you can rack up some serious EXP there, too.
For example when you kill someone while coming out of cloak, you get '' Boo! +100 XP'', make it a melee kill and you'll get '' Knighted +75 XP''.
Meaning I already got 225XP for one kill. As the match goes on, you'll come across the same dude again, beat him down again and you'll get: ''Boo! +100'' ''Knighted +100 XP'' ''Beat Down +100(?)XP''. Meaning you just got 350XP for your possible second kill. Kill him again, the XP bonus will grow, you'll get more bonusses such as ''Domination'' and ''Humiliation'' resulting in 4~6k XP every match. ( During the double XP event, ''Knighted'' gave me over 700 XP on its own).

On a side not:
Do you use the enviroment a lot when playing as a scout/scientist? Like when there's a pillar in front of you with a soldier right behind it, just stay out of his sight and when he makes a wrong move finish him off.

v0lum3
07-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice guide, very well written.

One this I noticed:

When playing properly in TDM, I usually end up with a K/D of roughly 15/1. This means almost half the kills are mine, now when knowing what bonusses you can get you can rack up some serious EXP there, too.
For example when you kill someone while coming out of cloak, you get '' Boo! +100 XP'', make it a melee kill and you'll get '' Knighted +75 XP''.
Meaning I already got 225XP for one kill. As the match goes on, you'll come across the same dude again, beat him down again and you'll get: ''Boo! +100'' ''Knighted +100 XP'' ''Beat Down +100(?)XP''. Meaning you just got 350XP for your possible second kill. Kill him again, the XP bonus will grow, you'll get more bonusses such as ''Domination'' and ''Humiliation'' resulting in 4~6k XP every match. ( During the double XP event, ''Knighted'' gave me over 700 XP on its own).

On a side not:
Do you use the enviroment a lot when playing as a scout/scientist? Like when there's a pillar in front of you with a soldier right behind it, just stay out of his sight and when he makes a wrong move finish him off.

Now, you just posted some great math, and you’re perfectly right about those points on TDM, except in TDM you’re going to spend most of your time hunting for those 15 kills, looking for your opponents, and while YOU get close to half of the kills, your teammates only get 25 to 15 points on EACH of those kills if they’re lucky. Now, let’s say you play a Conquest game where you go 15 and 1 w/ the exact same kill XP, but instead of spending most of your time hunting opponents you spent it flying to the next hill and you got those kills while clearing off or capturing these hills, and at each hill you gained an additional 150 xp, all your teammates did as well, and you captured the hill a mere 20 times during the game. You just earned your typical 4 to 6k during a match as well as an additional 3k for capping hills. Instead of 6k you just got 9k and your teammates also got an additional 3k each instead of their usual measly scores. And trust me, 15 kills in Conquest with only 20 caps is usually quite a low prediction, I've gotten over 10k legit in a conquest game without any challenges completed before (on normal XP)

And of course I use the environment while playing, but I maxed out almost all of the word counts on the posts and had to edit what I put in for size.

Xanamaros
07-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Now, you just posted some great math, and you’re perfectly right about those points on TDM, except in TDM you’re going to spend most of your time hunting for those 15 kills, looking for your opponents, and while YOU get close to half of the kills, your teammates only get 25 to 15 points on EACH of those kills if they’re lucky. Now, let’s say you play a Conquest game where you go 15 and 1 w/ the exact same kill XP, but instead of spending most of your time hunting opponents you spent it flying to the next hill and you got those kills while clearing off or capturing these hills, and at each hill you gained an additional 150 xp, all your teammates did as well, and you captured the hill a mere 20 times during the game. You just earned your typical 4 to 6k during a match as well as an additional 3k for capping hills. Instead of 6k you just got 9k and your teammates also got an additional 3k each instead of their usual measly scores. And trust me, 15 kills in Conquest with only 20 caps is usually quite a low prediction, I've gotten over 10k legit in a conquest game without any challenges completed before (on normal XP)

And of course I use the environment while playing, but I maxed out almost all of the word counts on the posts and had to edit what I put in for size.
You're absolutely right about that, I just tought I'd throw in my 2 cents on the matter.
I'll check out Conquest later if I want to level up some chars I guess, I just prefer regular TDM, I don't care much for the other modes.

v0lum3
07-06-2010, 11:02 PM
You're absolutely right about that, I just tought I'd throw in my 2 cents on the matter.
I'll check out Conquest later if I want to level up some chars I guess, I just prefer regular TDM, I don't care much for the other modes.

And of course if you're into TDM and fine with the XP you're getting then roll with it, but this is what I've found maximizes XP, especially for people who can't go 15 and 1 on average in TDM. It gives them a great way to maximize XP without requiring above average performances. Personally I always prefer objective games because I always get ridiculous K/D scores in them... I'd say I average close to 25 kills per game in both of these playlists, which is why I'm so high on the kill leaderboards.

Mars Renegade
07-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Wish you and I hadn't primed on the same day so I could have used this lol. Really well written.

Lewi
07-07-2010, 12:15 PM
wow huge guide and i read it all!
good tips, getting this tomorrow for sure. heard good things :D

demi
07-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Just boost instead.

deadpool316
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
thanks dude your help is working great for me many thx dude

"Roll Out"

Fuzz83
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
thanks for taking the time to write all this out, tons of great info

v0lum3
07-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Just boost instead.

I haven't seen a single booster hit Prime Mode yet, you gain more XP by playing my way than by boosting since in essence you're doing the same thing except adding in kills.

And everyone who finds this useful, thank you back, it's nice to feel that my guide isn't just wasted effort :)

Fuzz83
07-07-2010, 06:22 PM
boosting in conquest is freaking boring, i lasted one match and had to go back to playing normal, and you are right, i got about the same xp in my normal match then when i did boosting

Hulking Bubba65
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Very nice man, ton of good info in here as said before.

I know you don't use the scout dash ability as much as I do, but I think it can be a very handy ability. See a whirlwinding guy? Double jump, go camo and dash out away from him. It also help your strafe a lot when you are fighting someone one on one. Just do your regular strafe and mix in dashes and it helps a lot.

I hope this doesn't get put to waste... sticky maybe?

Xanamaros
07-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I haven't seen a single booster hit Prime Mode yet, you gain more XP by playing my way than by boosting since in essence you're doing the same thing except adding in kills.

And everyone who finds this useful, thank you back, it's nice to feel that my guide isn't just wasted effort :)
Seen multiple people who boost hit prime, really a shame cause this game is just awesome. Fortunately they all quit when they hit 1k GS.

I admit I boosted my Soldier and Leader to level 10, but that's it. ( I hate playing those classes).

HalfEVILmonkey
07-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Excellent guide, thank you for the great tips

v0lum3
07-09-2010, 02:51 PM
I know you don't use the scout dash ability as much as I do, but I think it can be a very handy ability. See a whirlwinding guy? Double jump, go camo and dash out away from him. It also help your strafe a lot when you are fighting someone one on one. Just do your regular strafe and mix in dashes and it helps a lot.

I hope this doesn't get put to waste... sticky maybe?

I edited that part a bit, but I still think you overlooked some of the benefits of mark target, one of which is that it gives you challenges to complete, unlike Dash :p

And I have no idea how the stickies work around here... :/

BuzzerBeater911
07-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Dang, thats a lot of info! Thanks for posting! After all I've read I think I will give this game a rent.

CheaderMonkey
07-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Uh...Boosting? I'm new here, what is that?

NeM2k2
07-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the guide! I changed my setups a little to match your recommendations. I still suck at combat against people that are half good though :(. How do you manage to pull 10k a match in conquest? My best is about 6k, but I only get 10-20 kills and a LOT of deaths heh. Do long streaks give you tons of xp?

v0lum3
07-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the guide! I changed my setups a little to match your recommendations. I still suck at combat against people that are half good though :(. How do you manage to pull 10k a match in conquest? My best is about 6k, but I only get 10-20 kills and a LOT of deaths heh. Do long streaks give you tons of xp?

Well I usually average around 8k, but I've pulled up to 18k in one match w/ Prime mode objectives :p Having lower deaths definitely helps because you get bonuses for killing people multiple times ;) But I usually just get my 7 killstreak and then die so I can call it in and chain it (and usually my 5 as well) to get another 5 to 7 killstreak and then just keep doing that over and over again, I usually get at least two or three 7 killstreaks in a game, which helps a lot, but just staying on the objectives helps even more.

AltarofPlagues
07-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I manage killstreaks with the scientist but I die a lot, im way too gungho. I just dive right in there to battles.

Doktor Brun
07-11-2010, 06:07 PM

By defenition it means to assist in further development or progress.

I just wanted to say also, this guide has been a godsend as i got more XP today than the past few days combined. :)

v0lum3
07-11-2010, 06:31 PM

There's a lot of threads around here for boosting parties, etc., what they are for is when people either don't have the time, desire, or skill to get a certain achievement they get in a room together and find a way to accomplish the achievement in a manner which isn't really how it's meant to be accomplished. For instance with this game they boost conquest points to get XP instead of just playing the game. It's usually very boring and in the case of WfC I'd say it's not really necessary as it doesn't get you much more XP than the average player can bring in on their own, without being bored out of your mind ;)

gerard2383
07-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Excellent Guide! it helped me fine tune some of the perks i still couldnt figure out on some of my characters

ShinUkyo
07-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Brilliant guide, and you've got some great advice in here. I'm definitely not one of the top players, but I'm getting better as time goes along. Like with any multiplayer game, learning the maps is essential. Combine that with the overshield locations, and there's a huge benefit for you from the get-go. I saw you pop into a lobby for a brief moment the other day, and I was so ready to get my ass handed to me haha. Didn't actually get to play, though.

I'll also add a nod to tacking on the class-specific kill bonuses. Kill someone while coming out of cloak as a Scout, kill someone being zapped by the moleculon bomb as the Leader, kill someone while hovering as the Soldier, etc. These skills all replenish, and they all help in killing people more easily anyhow. With these tacked on, each kill can earn you nearly as many points as a base capture. Add a base defense bonus to your kill, and you'll actually get more points than a capture. This doesn't demean the vital nature of capturing points, it just means you can earn that many more points in the meantime.

v0lum3
07-13-2010, 02:15 AM
e class-specific kill bonuses. Kill someone while coming out of cloak as a Scout, kill someone being zapped by the moleculon bomb as the Leader, kill someone while hovering as the Soldier, etc. These skills all replenish, and they all help in killing people more easily anyhow. With these tacked on, each kill can earn you nearly as many points as a base capture. Add a base defense bonus to your kill, and you'll actually get more points than a capture. This doesn't demean the vital nature of capturing points, it just means you can earn that many more points in the meantime.

I definitely agree on all those points, you can make a ton of points off kills, and kills are definitely a great way to stack on more XP, you won't get much beyond 5k without kills, and the XP bonuses on them can get pretty ridiculous, I've had teammates net 1,200 or even more from a single kill before w/ bonuses stacked on it, but while going for kills is great, and a nice bonus, the objectives are a guaranteed net XP w/ reliable points that the whole team can get in on (no killstealing, etc.) and I think a lot of people forget about them and get distracted by kills, so I choose intentionally to stress capturing points, in my experience you get almost as many kills while working the objectives as you would by going for kills in Conquest, so work the objectives, enjoy your (practically) free XP, and the kills you get on the way just consider a perk :)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the positive feedback on this guide, guys, I haven't had this much appreciation for one before and it definitely feels good to know I've actually helped some people :)

Mariner Mike 75
07-13-2010, 03:21 AM
Great guide. With only two more campaign achievements that I need to get before diving into MP full time, this guide will help me finish up the remaining 5 achieves I need to get my 1000. Thanks for the guide.

Cypher_Cobra
07-13-2010, 07:19 AM
The sentry gun is extremely useful, it protects you from your main enemy: scouts.

The entire point of a sentry gun is that it can see through cloak(not disguise) and fire at scouts. Scouts are the main enemy of the scientist, and they always will approach cloaked. Once you hear your turret fire and it's not firing at something in your field of vision, that's your queue to transform and leave before you're assassinated.

The sentry doesn't start recharging until it's destroyed, you can manually destroy it if you're done with it by using the sentry ability again. That'll initiate it's self destruct, allowing it to recharge sooner rather than just sit there.

I wouldn't recomend shockwave unless you're playing Conquest to win. Shockwave's damage is minimal, and the pushback saves you from close combat that you should not have been in, in the first place. If you've been ambushed, then you'll be dead instantly and shockwave won't save you from that. It can be used to push enemies off of bases to stop or stall captures, to push enemies off ledges or cliffs, but that is all very situational. The sentry gun always gives you protection from scouts. On that note, only use the machien gun sentry or the repair sentry, the rocket sentry fails at it's main purpose...revealing cloaked scouts because of it's low rate of fire.

Hulking Bubba65
07-13-2010, 07:33 AM
The sentry gun is extremely useful, it protects you from your main enemy: scouts.

The entire point of a sentry gun is that it can see through cloak(not disguise) and fire at scouts. Scouts are the main enemy of the scientist, and they always will approach cloaked. Once you hear your turret fire and it's not firing at something in your field of vision, that's your queue to transform and leave before you're assassinated.

The sentry doesn't start recharging until it's destroyed, you can manually destroy it if you're done with it by using the sentry ability again. That'll initiate it's self destruct, allowing it to recharge sooner rather than just sit there.

I wouldn't recomend shockwave unless you're playing Conquest to win. Shockwave's damage is minimal, and the pushback saves you from close combat that you should not have been in, in the first place. If you've been ambushed, then you'll be dead instantly and shockwave won't save you from that. It can be used to push enemies off of bases to stop or stall captures, to push enemies off ledges or cliffs, but that is all very situational. The sentry gun always gives you protection from scouts. On that note, only use the machien gun sentry or the repair sentry, the rocket sentry fails at it's main purpose...revealing cloaked scouts because of it's low rate of fire.
What if there are no scouts?

I don't know about you guys but I can see scouts in the camo pretty well so this really wouldn't be a problem. You're also underestimating the Shockwave, use the perk that gives it extra damage (only thing useful until level 17 when you get Friendly Fire IMO) and it is very powerful. Go melee or EMP shotgun someone, then use the shockwave and most of the time thats a kill for you. I actually got a legit triple kill with one shockwave the other night in a conquest game so it can do some damage. (You can even ask Volume, he was there when it happened.)

I guess we just play scientist very differently. I use it mostly for close quarters with the EMP Shotgun, and mix it up with the burst rifle. I love going toe-to-toe with enemies with the scientist. Scouts aren't that big of deal IMO and with one good shot with the EMP shotgun and bam, they're dead.

Also, when I do see a turret as another class, I usually just melee it before it can do a bar of damage so it's just a minor annoyance more than anything. Here's how I see it;

Disguise(preferably with Friendly Fire or w/o it)>Shockwave>Drain>Turret

I use Disguise and Shockwave/Drain for the lawlz, but its all personal preference.

Cypher_Cobra
07-13-2010, 09:17 AM
I hate close quarters combat. 3 bars of life in CQC is too risky, anything can happen, anything could go wrong.

Yeah dropping in, shot, punch, shockwave works. But it causes tunnel vision for that moment and that's all someone needs to kill you, or that's all fate needs to have a tank blast you or someone with whirlwind to corner kill you.

The key to the scientist is to get your 7 kill streak which you can only get by not dying. And the only way to not die is to leave nothing to chance. Taking Sentry Gun gives you another layer of security against Scouts which is really the only class that is a major threat to the scientist.

Soldier: You can run. Or just outrange his scrapmaker with your burst rifle while corner shooting. If he locks onto you when you jet you can just transform or disguise, both break the lock-on.

Leader: Even worse than the soldier. He has absolutely no way to catch you, and close quarter combat(CQC) is the worst place to be. 1 shot from his energon axe while he has warcry up and you're respawning with a broken kill streak. If your luck is terrible maybe he'll catch you with his pistol but few Leaders carry that weapon.

Scientist: You can even run from a scientist. Scramble his air-to-air missiles with disguise or transform to break the lock.

Scouts: The one thing that can get you. They appear without warning and kill in moments. Sure if they botch their attack or mark you, you have time to run. But a scout ambush is what is most likely to kill you.

So how to fix a problem with scouts? Add Sentry Gun. Don't worry about Sentry Gun's damage, that isn't the point. It just needs to shoot 1 bullet to reveal a cloaked scout and it's reaction time and accuracy are quite good.

So now you have a way to protect yourself from every single class. Now much less is left to chance, now if you die, it's more likely because of a poor choice than someone having a class advantage on you. A poor choice can be analyzed and corrected.

Almost every class excells at CQC. The Scientist too can fight effectively in CQC but there's no reason to when you can fight on your OWN terms. Don't fight by the rules of a melee master like a leader. Use flight to your advantage and attack from different angles, run when people try to bring the battle to you. Then just fly to a different angle and pick them apart. Use your jet mode to grab overshields, use your jet mode to quickly get ammo and energon, use your jet mode to do almost involving mobility. Jet mode is the scientist's best ability, abuse it to abuse your enemies.

v0lum3
07-13-2010, 06:24 PM
I hate close quarters combat. 3 bars of life in CQC is too risky, anything can happen, anything could go wrong.

Yeah dropping in, shot, punch, shockwave works. But it causes tunnel vision for that moment and that's all someone needs to kill you, or that's all fate needs to have a tank blast you or someone with whirlwind to corner kill you.

The key to the scientist is to get your 7 kill streak which you can only get by not dying. And the only way to not die is to leave nothing to chance. Taking Sentry Gun gives you another layer of security against Scouts which is really the only class that is a major threat to the scientist.

Soldier: You can run. Or just outrange his scrapmaker with your burst rifle while corner shooting. If he locks onto you when you jet you can just transform or disguise, both break the lock-on.

Leader: Even worse than the soldier. He has absolutely no way to catch you, and close quarter combat(CQC) is the worst place to be. 1 shot from his energon axe while he has warcry up and you're respawning with a broken kill streak. If your luck is terrible maybe he'll catch you with his pistol but few Leaders carry that weapon.

Scientist: You can even run from a scientist. Scramble his air-to-air missiles with disguise or transform to break the lock.

Scouts: The one thing that can get you. They appear without warning and kill in moments. Sure if they botch their attack or mark you, you have time to run. But a scout ambush is what is most likely to kill you.

So how to fix a problem with scouts? Add Sentry Gun. Don't worry about Sentry Gun's damage, that isn't the point. It just needs to shoot 1 bullet to reveal a cloaked scout and it's reaction time and accuracy are quite good.

So now you have a way to protect yourself from every single class. Now much less is left to chance, now if you die, it's more likely because of a poor choice than someone having a class advantage on you. A poor choice can be analyzed and corrected.

Almost every class excells at CQC. The Scientist too can fight effectively in CQC but there's no reason to when you can fight on your OWN terms. Don't fight by the rules of a melee master like a leader. Use flight to your advantage and attack from different angles, run when people try to bring the battle to you. Then just fly to a different angle and pick them apart. Use your jet mode to grab overshields, use your jet mode to quickly get ammo and energon, use your jet mode to do almost involving mobility. Jet mode is the scientist's best ability, abuse it to abuse your enemies.

I have no problem getting kills against a scientist with any class, scrap maker will drop a scientist before he can even get transformed to run half the time, not to mention with sharpshooter it will be able to shoot you halfway across the map while you're running... the Leader's Battle Pistol can drop you in three shots and is just as accurate as the scientist's burst rifle, not to mention in medium combat a leader will always destroy scientists with the Ion Blaster or the dreaded fusion cannon, if I get anywhere near a scientist and expect they'll run I'd just drop a moleculon bomb or disrupt them as I see them transforming as a leader... and of course other scientists are a threat since they have the same available maneuverability and weapons as you... you can't discount someone who is on even footing with you, that's just silly.

As far as scouts go: Any good scout won't go near a deployed turret, and they're easy to spot, so why bother sneaking up on you if you're standing close to your turret (which is where you have to be to get a benefit from it) they can just snipe you (which I do a lot) or the turret first before approaching, or just drive in w/ your camo on, transform on the way to the silly scientist, and start blasting away before the turret can even drop your camo. If just seeing scouts is the only reason you're running one of your abilities I think you're missing the point, even as you pointed out yourself, the maneuverability of the scientist is his greatest asset, so carrying around an ability which only rewards you for standing still is counter-productive to what you want to do. And as I mentioned in the first post of this, and as almost anyone who plays a lot of FPS's will tell you, holding still is a BAD idea, setting up camp is a BAD idea when you're on your own, and that's exactly what using a turret will cause you to do as a scientist, the character with the least health and the most maneuverability.

I completely agreed with the last paragraph (although I think it is beneficial to use disguise to pull off hit and run confusion inducing CQC attacks) but find it counter-intuitive to everything else you had been saying...

Oh, and a bit off topic, but why don't you have Tf:WFC on your card???

CheaderMonkey
07-14-2010, 12:51 AM
The Guide is insanly useful. Unfortunatly I seem to fail as a gamer. This game is only my second Shooter, with Borderlands being my first, and while I can occasionally get a kill in I cant seem to stay alive long enough to chain them together. I know where the Cubes, Ammo, and O-Shields are but it doesn't do me any good since I Hoover.

Anyways a question I've got is about the Perks, since they're not all available to you from word go (dont know if once you hit Prime you can still access everything while you restart) I'd like to know v0lum3's take on the different Perks. I will use First Aid...but i'm a little while in getting there, what do I use until then

I hope I'm being clearer than I fear I am.

Also...damn, totally forgot what else I was going to ask...oh yeah, when it's mentioned about swapping out your character to fit the need do you mean in mid battle? because I dont know who/what I'll be facing until I see someone tossing a dirty ball or hovering or marking me.

v0lum3
07-14-2010, 12:56 AM
The Guide is insanly useful. Unfortunatly I seem to fail as a gamer. This game is only my second Shooter, with Borderlands being my first, and while I can occasionally get a kill in I cant seem to stay alive long enough to chain them together. I know where the Cubes, Ammo, and O-Shields are but it doesn't do me any good since I Hoover.

Anyways a question I've got is about the Perks, since they're not all available to you from word go (dont know if once you hit Prime you can still access everything while you restart) I'd like to know v0lum3's take on the different Perks. I will use First Aid...but i'm a little while in getting there, what do I use until then

I hope I'm being clearer than I fear I am.

Also...damn, totally forgot what else I was going to ask...oh yeah, when it's mentioned about swapping out your character to fit the need do you mean in mid battle? because I dont know who/what I'll be facing until I see someone tossing a dirty ball or hovering or marking me.

Really I didn't add anything in prior to First Aid because IMO they really don't matter... as I said the accuracy perk in slot 3 doesn't even make what I'd consider a noticeable change, so just throw something on. But First Aid makes quite a difference. That's pretty much how I see it on most of the perks too, the ones I didn't mention below just pick whatever seems to be beneficial to you until you get to the better perks, and even if you don't like the perks I consider better, you know, just use what you want. I'm just trying to help people out by letting them know what I use.

Yeah, you can press the start button and change classes mid-game, like if you keep dying to explosives, get a big class w/ flak armor, if you keep dying to snipers as a scientist, maybe switch to a big class or a scout, if you keep running into big guys and being overwhelmed try a scout from a distance, etc., you know, just switch to whatever you feel you can use better against these enemies.

CheaderMonkey
07-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Yeah, you can press the start button and change classes mid-game, like if you keep dying to explosives, get a big class w/ flak armor, if you keep dying to snipers as a scientist, maybe switch to a big class or a scout, if you keep running into big guys and being overwhelmed try a scout from a distance, etc., you know, just switch to whatever you feel you can use better against these enemies.
:eek: Ooooh...I am SO going to PWN now.

Well, once I get another TV.

And Internet comes back.

Moving sucks.

neeker75
07-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Best kill streak with Scientist was 7. One and only time I did it, haha. Most of the times I just die.

REfan001
07-15-2010, 03:15 AM
Also one thing to add when using disguise, always use either the Jetfire or Starscream chassis, as they look the most alike and it will aid you in tricking the enemy. Like disguising yourself as Shockwave is usually not a good idea, as it is obvious you are not an Autobot, and Transformers fans will not be fooled for a second.

Midnight Adam
07-15-2010, 04:42 AM
i would say do everything on this guide but also work on doing your challenges because when you complete them its a good 1000xp for it

v0lum3
07-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Also one thing to add when using disguise, always use either the Jetfire or Starscream chassis, as they look the most alike and it will aid you in tricking the enemy. Like disguising yourself as Shockwave is usually not a good idea, as it is obvious you are not an Autobot, and Transformers fans will not be fooled for a second.

That's a good tip :)

Kai the Mayor
07-17-2010, 08:35 PM
very nice guide! Thanks!

sinist3r f3ar
07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
A lot to read but very very useful info. Great guide, it's worth it to read.

gerard2383
07-19-2010, 12:23 AM
My scientist strategy involved disguise, id just use the EMP shotgun and fly behind enemies hit them transform and run for bigger enemies like soldiers or leaders id combine with Drain to pull off the extra damage
for perks i had friendly fire, master of disguise and first aid, if you know how to abuse the disguise it can make the scientist a very terrible threat most noob players and sometimes other players will get confused. and once you get it youll be able to start chaining kills streaks very easily.

MADasaHatter
07-19-2010, 05:06 AM
The only thing I have to add is to use grenades wisely.

That goes for all of em. Each one has a bit of a timer, but a direct hit on a player is an instant explosion.

How this benefits:
1. A Scientist can immediately set off a healing bomb if he hits a teammates with it. No timer, no wait. Don't aim for the ground.

2. A Scout facing the spinning larriot of an approaching whirlwinding Soldier should aim a stun grenade right for that spinning idiot. Too many times I've gotten out of a pickle for it. Try this- grenade, stun (both of you or just your enemy if you spend the perk but it's no necc), mark, fire your shotgun will net you a kill or get you damn close to one. Way better than standing there and getting a hammer to the face.

Or in the air, try- grenade, stun, dash all before you hit the ground to try to avoid your own stun splash.

I name all of my classes after a transformer I've created, so here's how I play:

Vulture (Scout): Your basic setup with mark and cloak. Surprise + Ghost + first aid as perks. What you'll basically be doing is carrying around a null ray in your first slot and whatever in your second. The null is used for close combat as well as far. when Vulture cloaks, he gets next to an enemy (2-5 steps away)
:lbbut:, :rtbut:,:rs:
(so mark, fire, melee).

Scouts and Scientist go down immediatley. Soldiers take two melees and Leaders are tricky but possible. Note: The Vulture combo DOES NOT work against enemies buffed in way cry.

Vulture gets his name from the obvious- he pilfers weapons. The null ray is fine to start, but getting a scrapmaker or leader cannon (or worse than both, an Emp shotgun!) makes him more dangerous than anything. With either weapon + the surprise stat boost coming out of cloak, you can own every other scout or scientist in the match and just about wreck a soldier who's not fast on the draw. Period.

Kamikaze (Scientist): The Beast of Conquest. Kamikaze is a blitz style player who cares nothing about k/d and all about wrecking people in bunches and snagging nodes. Setup is simple. Emp shotgun and burst rifle. Shockwave and Drain as abils. +drain + +shockwave + two grenades as perks.

Basically, you'll want to storm out and skip capturing the first node to get the first overshield. Use the jet speed to try to get to B as the enemy is trying to cap it and here's the important part. You'll be diving in on enemy's two more trying to get nodes so learn how to come in at an angle, not straight. Also know how much you can kind of glide when you transform in the air. Why?

:rs::bbut:, :lbbut:, :rbbut:, :rtbut: until they're dead or you are.

What happens. Well, you fly in at an angle on two guys taking B and you transform in midair. The animation kicks you forward a bit so you throw a grenade so that it lands right where you fall into, preferbly between the two enemies. Just as you hit the ground you shockwave and then drain. Now if it's an enclosed space, these guys are toast, regardless of their classes and I'll tell you why. By the time you start using the RT for the Emp shotgun, you are draining two enemies AND being healed by a grenade vs two enemies with damage from a strong shockwave. Honestly, I've handled a leader, a soldier and a scout all at the same time (no buffs). The stacks of xp that role from this is sick. Use the second grenade after your first shot if there are more than 2 people, but honestly, if done correctly it's an easy 1st killstreak.

In open areas, the shockwave will blow people apart and away. Either way, hit the drain afterward as most people charge a scientist not really understanding that a drain of 2+ people AND a healing bomb turns a Kamikaze into a group killing machine. If you use up your resources (grenades and cool down time) you can wait or just die. Honestly, you'll just be going for group kills and whatever nodes you're teammates are working on. But once you see one of your bases flashing, head there and dive bomb.

Kamikaze is an xp machine.

*something to note though and worth adding. The jet to robot transformation sometimes causes you to slide if you hit the ground at the certain angle (as does with every class). In this animation, you can't reload or switch weapons. Most of the time you can't even shoot until you stop sliding. Avoid this animation and hit the ground standing up when you dive bomb.

Menzeldinho
07-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Very good read! good job mate

robmart0906
07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Thank You!! this was exactly what i needed!

BrianEvol
07-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Oddly enough I came on here looking for scout tips and found your guide AND I played you in some Conquest earlier today! Great guide, the scout tips will help me alot!

Also I had some decent luck earlier today with Plasma Cannon/Battle Pistol on Power Struggle maps. Cloak, charge up, then let go right in the middle of some enemies. Softens up thicker targets, wrecks scientists/scouts pretty nice, then some quick shots with the pistol finishes off anyone hanging on. Probably not as effective as other weapons or tactics but fun if your scout is a little tricky to play (as it has been for me.)

NathanVoiles
07-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Great guide volume! reminds me of a similar guide I once saw on the shadowrun forums ;)

Tullaris
07-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Great guide! I especially am thankful for the tip about playing Conquest instead of Team Deathmatch. I am not a particularly skilled player so to go from struggling to earn 1000 exp a match to about 4000 is helping immensely. And its alot more fun to.

BrianEvol
07-26-2010, 01:30 PM
The scout tips in particular have been a huge help for me, I had no trouble with Soldier, Leader or Scientist, but Scout just hasn't been clicking for me, got the hang of it now though. Cheers sir!

v0lum3
07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
The scout tips in particular have been a huge help for me, I had no trouble with Soldier, Leader or Scientist, but Scout just hasn't been clicking for me, got the hang of it now though. Cheers sir!

You're quite welcome, and don't feel bad it usually goes that way for most people, a few classes will feel right at home, while a few other classes may feel completely foreign. It took me a few solid hours of gameplay to start to get the scout myself, it helped that my friend is excellent at it though :) (thanks, Hulk)

Hulking Bubba65
07-26-2010, 11:08 PM
You're quite welcome, and don't feel bad it usually goes that way for most people, a few classes will feel right at home, while a few other classes may feel completely foreign. It took me a few solid hours of gameplay to start to get the scout myself, it helped that my friend is excellent at it though :) (thanks, Hulk)
I <3 you too, bro. :p

Sir N1B
07-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Terrific tips...I had been wasting my time messing around in deathmatch but after reading this guide i'll be jumping straight into the other MP modes.

enilson
07-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the tips - will take many of these to heart - especially as I've played almost exclusively Deathmatch type games. I don't typically enjoy objective gametypes - but will give these a shot if the XP is that much more.

imochacub
07-28-2010, 07:38 PM
thanks, helps a lot

imochacub
07-28-2010, 07:38 PM
helped a lot

F Swan
07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Once you get to rank 20+ whats the amount of XP per level? Just so I can get an idea how long it'll take!

Hulking Bubba65
07-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Once you get to rank 20+ whats the amount of XP per level? Just so I can get an idea how long it'll take!
It's like 20-30ish thousand.

F Swan
07-29-2010, 05:03 PM
It's like 20-30ish thousand.

Ah Ok thanks :) Not as bad as I thought, like some games being in the hundred thousands!

LazyBarbarian
07-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Very nice guide!! Thanks a lot

operation remie
07-29-2010, 08:47 PM
very helpful. i've been actually enjoying playing as the scientist, even if i die a lot. i do put a hurting on a lot of people tho.

gonna try doing the scout eventually. just been actually enjoying the scientist too much.

LazyBarbarian
07-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Man leveling up takes a long time!!! ahh

None the less, this guide is still helpful

v0lum3
08-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Man leveling up takes a long time!!! ahh

None the less, this guide is still helpful

It honestly didn't feel that long to me, kind of felt like hitting second prestige in COD... not really too bad at all.

X Lt Patriot X
08-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Dude i love your guide its saved me alot, but on Conquest i use my scientist as a medic to keep everyone healthy and therefore caping, and a hunter to stop those waskaly baddys from taking our posts. Doing this i rarely get caps but i still get roughly 6k per game so this is a good alternative if your team isnt very helpful
PS. if you heal a team mate low on health you get 15 pts and trust me do this alot by following a reckless teammate and you'll rack up the score!

Kohbo
08-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Great guide. Thanks for the tips. Currently working on hitting Prime Mode.

karl rupert kroenen
08-08-2010, 09:09 PM
wich mode gives you more XP? conquest or power strugle? i dont see the diference...

Seany Show
08-08-2010, 09:37 PM
wich mode gives you more XP? conquest or power strugle? i dont see the diference...

I'd also like to know this. I've been solely playing Team Deathmatch but if I can get more XP by playing a different game mode, then I'd be more than happy.

Also great guide. Will help me with refining my Leader.

Inebriated Jedi
08-16-2010, 05:30 AM
I'd also like to know this. I've been solely playing Team Deathmatch but if I can get more XP by playing a different game mode, then I'd be more than happy.

Also great guide. Will help me with refining my Leader.

Speaking from experience, I'd say that Conquest is the way to go. You can get well over 5,000 XP per match, and twice that during double XP weekends (well, obviously). I've found that I don't get much XP from Team Deathmatch, even if I do well.

bigbear2face
08-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Good guide. Disagree with you on Disguise for scientists. Totally worthless if the other team is at all intelligent.

THIS GAME HAS NO FRIENDLY FIRE. SHOOT ALL SCIENTISTS ON SIGHT AND ASK QUESTIONS LATER.

If you don't want to just shoot all scientists on sight then at least run your reticule over them. Even in disguise if they aren't on your team your crosshair will turn red.

Also I can't count how many times I've seen scientists on other teams run disguise when NO ONE on my team was a scientist. Seriously? We'd have to be "special" not to own you EVERY time you fly in.

If you are going to be playing conquest or power struggle Shockwave and Spawn Sentry are far and away the best abilities to use as a scientist. First of all shockwave is useful to not only quickly damage a large group of enemies but it throws them away from node helping you defend/take a node. My typical strategy as a scientist is: fly into node at top speed maybe drop some missiles in as a I approach, transform high above node, drop sentry as I fall so it's nice and high and hard to melee, shockwave as I land, transform and fly the heck away. Turn around, assess situation, get health if needed, join fight if I have support.

Also as a scientist it is VITALLY IMPORTANT to know where the overshields are and to be constantly going for them. Your speed/manuverability should always give you the edge in getting these.

HalfEVILmonkey
08-17-2010, 01:15 AM
I have been using this guide religiously for about a week now and everything this guy says has worked perfectly for me to rank up fast. Awesome guide that really should be stickied

ooo0ooooooo0ooo
08-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Nice guide. Probably one the best your ever gonna find.

Vaporub
08-21-2010, 06:03 AM
great guide. helped me level up a lot quicker. just unlocked prime mode a few minutes ago.

HalfEVILmonkey
08-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Just unlocked Prime Mode today, thanks again for all of the great help with the multiplayer tips. Other than the scientist, I followed this guide to the letter and it worked great. I finished first or second in almost every game I played today and I attribute it mainly to this guide.

Still can't believe this isn't stickied.

normalipromise
09-10-2010, 08:50 PM
How is this thread not stickied?

Lumixilim
09-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Is there a way to choose which side to play on, or do you have to play on whatever team you're assigned to?

Mindstorms
09-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Very useful guide, found it by accident. Sticky please.

Edit: Since finding this guide and putting the advice into practice, I have levelled my solider to 25, and everyone else to 15,13 and 12. Conquest is definitely the way to go, and I'm actually enjoying the game. Not too much of a grind. I even got the "More than meets the eye" MVP achievement, even though I was trying to get killed as I had gotten my solider to level 25 in the course of the game!

Edit #2: Unlocked Prime mode over the weekend. Thanks again for this guide.

Aquaslash
10-02-2011, 04:10 AM
Getting prime mode is pretty much a cinch now with the 5X XP all the time. I saw the OP mentioned conquest, but if you can get a Countdown to Extinction game going on, that's really helpful. Especially since the bomb has a tendency to completely disappear, turning the matches into 10 minutes Team Deathmatches.

m00nknight1984
02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
great tips in here thanks man . it seems so logical but i always play Deathmatch definitly gonna play king of the hill with that much xp difference

v0lum3
08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Anyone else been pulling WFC back out since FOC is out? I'm enjoying FOC, but WFC was just bloody brilliant.