PDA

View Full Version : Point of installing games to HD?

thRussted
07-06-2010, 03:14 PM
As the title says, what's the point to it? My friend just bought his X360 and he wanted my Dragon Age, and I was like, "Well, there's an install option, let's check that one out!"

So he installed it, removed the gamedisc and it says to insert the gamedisc. So, why is there even the option to "install"?

InkedUp
07-06-2010, 03:22 PM
The "install game to hdd" option is there to reduce the wear and tear of your disc reading lenses, makes your system quieter since the disc only spins to read the copyright info off of the disc, reduces heat and decreases loading times in-game. Yeah you still need the disc, but all of those benefits help reduce the everyday wear and tear of your console, hopefully extending the life. Hope this answers your questions.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-06-2010, 03:23 PM
As the title says, what's the point to it? My friend just bought his X360 and he wanted my Dragon Age, and I was like, "Well, there's an install option, let's check that one out!"

So he installed it, removed the gamedisc and it says to insert the gamedisc. So, why is there even the option to "install"?

obviously you cant do that...then the game companies would lose all their money

1.faster loading
2.less wear on console and disc
3.quieter

Unterofficer
07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Loadingtimes are cut drasticly and as the disc doesn't need to spin it keeps the Xbox quietter.

Bill IV
07-06-2010, 03:25 PM
I know for games that I play often I install them so my xbox doesn't sound like an airplane taking off for most of the day.

Ticker9
07-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I only instal the games that i play alot. due to the faster load times and less wear and tear on my system. when im done i just delete them

iTz PIato
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
"installing the game to your HD" makes the disc spin slower than usually and makes it harder to scratch the disc. I only install it if I play the game a lot and if I stop playing it I removed it from my HD

Double2Seven
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Its one of the best features the new Dashboard added.

Makes my 2005 xbox a lot quietter :)

phazer13
07-06-2010, 04:12 PM
A lot quieter
Disk is not spinning (no scratching)
Does not get nearly as heated
Faster load times

credible
07-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Simply out of awesomeness.

Billy69
07-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Yes it said to insert the disc because he can just go to Blockbuster and rent a game and just install it to his hardrive thats why it says to insert the disc

Starstrukk X360A
07-06-2010, 05:15 PM
If you could Install a game and not a need a disc, every user would rent or borrow every game they can get their hands on and Install it for free.

What installing does is copies the information into the hard drive so the console doesn't need constantly spin the disc and scan it; the disc still needs to be in there so the console knows you have the game in your possession.

Ozbaab
07-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Its one of the best features the new Dashboard added.

This!! :woop:

jamie1000013
07-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for this helped me out aswell. May have to start doing this since I love my Elite. Thanks peeps :-)

sm182
07-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Also if you buy a pre-owned game that's a bit scratched you can check that it works correctly by installing it to the hard drive. If it doesn't reach 100% then return it for a refund.

Sidereal
07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
It should be noted, if for no reason other than random knowledge, that some games perform worse when installed the the hard drive.

Only one I can think of is Halo 3, and I'm not even sure on that since I have never and will never play it. But I seem to remember it being said that it was worse off after being installed.

Spot2009
07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I think if it says Optimized for Hard Drive on the back of the game, then you don't need to install it when you play it, otherwise it will perform the same or worse. I would like to say that it's basically the same (correct me if I'm wrong) as installing a game onto your own computer. Most games require the game disc in your computer before playing it.

missiloon
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I love the install game function because my xbox360 makes scratches. So I install everything I would play for a while.

fieldy
07-06-2010, 08:32 PM
i didnt know that eye opener or what im gna have to do that on my 4th xbox grrrr

thRussted
07-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Ok, thanks for the help! Didn't know that the Xbox actually damages the games when played excessively. Pretty gay if you ask me. Either way, thanks for the help!

Sidereal
07-07-2010, 12:05 AM
It doesn't, unless you move it around while a disc is spinning (which you shouldn't be doing anyway).

But the lens can go bad quicker than you'd expect, and by not constantly running by reading a spinning disc, it just reads it to verify and then the game runs from the HD.

By doing this, it reduces wear and tear on the hardware and helps prevent it from going bad so quickly.

thRussted
07-07-2010, 12:17 AM
By doing this, it reduces wear and tear on the hardware and helps prevent it from going bad so quickly.

Is that how you are still ":Red Ring free since 11/22/05:"? Otherwise, I'll might just start doing that, and give this hint to all my friends who own an Xbox. :eek:

Sidereal
07-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Partially, I guess. I don't game for more than a few hours at a time, and take about half as time letting the system cool down before I game again.

I'm on my second Xbox 360, but only because my first was stolen.

It definitely does help keep the system in good shape, there's no denying that. I wouldn't credit my lack of RRoD solely on installing to the HDD, I think it's more a mix of just proper maintenance of the system. Not overworking it, reducing as much stress as possible, keeping it ventilated (I only use the console's inner fans), all that stuff that owners should do but usually don't. :P

XIGRIMxREAPERIX
07-07-2010, 04:07 PM
A hell of a lot less of wear on your disk and disk drive. Plus Microsoft said games will load faster that have a lot of loading like oblivion. Personally i don't see a difference.

Jethrow
07-07-2010, 11:42 PM
obviously you cant do that...then the game companies would lose all their money

1.faster loading
2.less wear on console and disc
3.quieter

took the words outta my mouth

Vercis
07-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Partially, I guess. I don't game for more than a few hours at a time, and take about half as time letting the system cool down before I game again.

I'm on my second Xbox 360, but only because my first was stolen.

It definitely does help keep the system in good shape, there's no denying that. I wouldn't credit my lack of RRoD solely on installing to the HDD, I think it's more a mix of just proper maintenance of the system. Not overworking it, reducing as much stress as possible, keeping it ventilated (I only use the console's inner fans), all that stuff that owners should do but usually don't. :P

lol how did you managed to get your xbox stolen?

On topic yea all what the guys said is true, however there are some games that I've installed and they perform the same but at least you have less noise not that it bothered me since I am usually playing with the volume kinda high and still my xbox for some reason is not that noisy as some of my friends (I have an Elite 2008 version)

Corrupt.
07-08-2010, 12:34 AM
I have seen greatly improved loading times myself...

Sidereal
07-08-2010, 01:05 AM
lol how did you managed to get your xbox stolen?

On topic yea all what the guys said is true, however there are some games that I've installed and they perform the same but at least you have less noise not that it bothered me since I am usually playing with the volume kinda high and still my xbox for some reason is not that noisy as some of my friends (I have an Elite 2008 version)

I didn't "get my Xbox stolen". I was robbed.

Double2Seven
07-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Is that how you are still ":Red Ring free since 11/22/05:"? Otherwise, I'll might just start doing that, and give this hint to all my friends who own an Xbox. :eek:

I have on of the few launch consoles that never stopped working, i had some frezes in some mp games, but i dont think it had anything to do with the xbox, and they were ver rare.

I keep my xbox on for long times, and yet to have a problem, i think MSFT should study my xbox because it shouldnt be alive after all this time, at least that what the Internet doctors says:) akka sony fannboys (But i do own a ps3:p)

Frozen x360a
07-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm guessing this would work amazingly with the Slim seeing as its already quite, its got a lot of space so you could download all of your games to its hardrive, and the games would be even quieter! total silence! faster loadings is just a bonus! ;)

Folkren
07-09-2010, 07:13 PM
It helps it run quieter and reduces load times a bit depending on the game.

ExtremeRugburn
07-09-2010, 07:37 PM
It helps it run quieter and reduces load times a bit depending on the game.

It also reduces wear and tear on your machine as posted above by numerous people. If you have the space on your drive, use it. You can only benefit from downloading to your drive. If when space is scarce, remove the game once you have completed it. I just recently started using this method and I love it.

Hybridchld
07-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Also if you buy a pre-owned game that's a bit scratched you can check that it works correctly by installing it to the hard drive. If it doesn't reach 100% then return it for a refund.

The most overlooked but IMO most useful part of installing.

Also if you have a game that is scratched and wont install but a friend has one that will you can install from there's and play from yours

Sizzlebuzz
07-10-2010, 06:43 AM
I can't even play games without installing them anymore. Some of them get so choppy and crappy for some reason. I think my xbox is getting old.

The noise reduction is always a plus too.

NachoNabz
07-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Wow!! I don't have to block my ears when putting in a disc anymore!!! :woop: