PDA

View Full Version : Trading to new Xbox S

Naffry
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
As title states, I'm going to Gamestation on the day of release and trading in my current elite, for the new console. [ I know its not a NEW console ]

Anyway, what i want to know is, what do i need to do. I know i can put all my game saves, gamertag etc onto a USB stick and the put them onto the new xbox, retrieve my gamertag and that should be it?

What i'm worried about after reading on here of someone losing their gamertag save and now it on there console?

Also I have auto sign in etc, do i have to take this off when i trade it in and remove all my payment details etc? or are they just linked to my gamertag online and not he console itself?

Sidereal
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
As far as the store's trade-in policy goes, I can't offer much help. Gamestop out here gives us 7 days to return to the store with the Hard drive after transferring the data off it.

Otherwise, your account information, payment details, etc., those are all linked to your Windows Live ID, which your Gamertag is also linked to. If you remove the tag from the console, (and before you do this DO make sure you have it saved on a USB drive), all the information associated with that tag is subsequently removed.

Your best bet, if you ask me, is once you make sure you have all your necessary data backed up and ready to transfer to another drive, you do a format on the drive you're taking into the store. That should erase all data from the drive and render it like-new.

Naffry
07-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeh i'm just worried that if something happens to the USB i could lose my gamertag lol.

If losing it off your console what happens if your HDD messes up? Surely you don't lose your gamertag? lol
I'm abit slow with this.

Sidereal
07-06-2010, 06:59 PM
As long as your Windows Live ID is current and up to date, you shouldn't have any problem. The only issue that really comes up if you have deleted the tag from the console and haven't backed it up somewhere is that once your ID goes dormant, so does the tag, and there's no way to recover it after that happens.

Assuming things on that side of the situation are a non-issue, you should have no problems doing a tag recovery on the new console.

SpoonyFob
07-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Yeh i'm just worried that if something happens to the USB i could lose my gamertag lol.

If losing it off your console what happens if your HDD messes up? Surely you don't lose your gamertag?

I dont know if the explanation is correct... but the idea is the same nontheless

gamertgs are saved on microsoft servers i think... (or something like that).. so you can just recover it regardless of what happens, i think the only way you can permanently lose it is via bans...

people may want to correct me if i have this wrong... i have feeling i might...:Bounce:

SpoonyFob
07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
@sidereal

sorry pretty much posted the same thing at the same time :)

Naffry
07-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Well my live id, is the one i use on msn etc, so its as upto date as it can get lol.

mmartynn
07-06-2010, 08:51 PM
justmove everything to a USB and put it somewhere really safe. then just play one, single player game with no DLC till the new xbox.

tho if you could try and ask on the day of the new xbox slim if you could data transfer your stuff over. im sure theyll let you if you take your transfer cable with you and be there at opening.