PDA

View Full Version : I can't cancel my credit card

Mafferick93
07-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Last month I signed up for the 1 month for 1 payment thing on XBL.

But now the time is coming near for me to renew via my credit card (automatic renewal), I am wanting to remove my details or stop the automatic renewal as I have a 3 month code.

However I have no idea how to do this as it says "This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option."

I click on this page and it is unavailable...help!

Wortsenawl
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Surely your time would be better served by calling Microsoft, the owners of the offending issue???

Mafferick93
07-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I spent an hour on the phone to microsoft.

TheVoidRose
07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
In your account section at xbox.com you can turn Auto Renew off, I ran across it the other day. It takes you through a few pages of "PLEASE DON'T TURN AUTO RENEW OFF" b/s

Perfection I
07-07-2010, 04:02 PM
In your account section at xbox.com you can turn Auto Renew off, I ran across it the other day. It takes you through a few pages of "PLEASE DON'T TURN AUTO RENEW OFF" b/s

This. But microsoft do a pretty spot on job of hiding it!

Mafferick93
07-07-2010, 04:06 PM
I've tried to find it, and I've even followed the instructions from here:-

http://forums.xbox.com/1/31086471/ShowPost.aspx#31086471

Yet I can't seem to find it...

A ZombieTwinkie
07-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I made a little step-by-step guide to help someone out a few months back. IIRC, some area's cannot turn it off via this way, but I don't remember where. But it's worth a try. If worse comes to worse, you're just gonna have to spend some quality time with the Microsoft techs. :p

When you sign into Xbox.com, click on the drop down tab next to your Gamertag and click on My Account. When the next page comes up, on the left side of the page, click on Membership Level:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3003/renewoff.png

On the next page, look for 'ON'. You should be able to click on it this time.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4524/renewoff1.png

After you click on that, it'll take you to the next page where you'll have to hit 'Next', multiple times as they try to convince you not to cancel it.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9011/renewoff2.png

I canceled my girlfriends a month or so ago, so I dont remember how many times you have to click next. But it should take you back to the first page you start on and should say 'OFF' under Membership Level

Wortsenawl
07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I spent an hour on the phone to microsoft.

Yeah, sorry. Just in an irritable mood today. Apologies. I can understand why you don't want to call MS. While they try and be helpful, i have always put the phone down wondering why I bothered calling in the first place.

FRANKSEY
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
i never plan on using cred card for anything on xbox, i prefer just to buy the codes.

snipingheadshot
07-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Is there any way to take a credit card off of my account or is it on the account forever? I only used it once and I just buy the cards now.

Dee Zee
07-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Is there any way to take a credit card off of my account or is it on the account forever? I only used it once and I just buy the cards now.
You have to call Microsoft customer support to talk to their manager and get the credit card completely removed off your console. They will have some arguing probably - as did mine - but they have to remove it if you want it removed. Ask them for more information.

A ZombieTwinkie
07-07-2010, 05:33 PM
You have to call Microsoft customer support to talk to their manager and get the credit card completely removed off your console. They will have some arguing probably - as did mine - but they have to remove it if you want it removed. Ask them for more information.

You can do it this way. Or you can do it from the site, assuming the card isn't associated with a Live Subscription. I've deleted my card from my girlfriends account this way. It's not too hard.

When you sign in, click on the drop down tab and click on 'My Account'. When the next page comes up, click on 'Manage Payment Options' at the bottom of the gray box on the left site of the page. From there, you should see your card(s) that are associated with your tag and an 'Edit l Remove' option. Click on Remove and then run through a few more options to get rid of it.

But, if it's assigned to a Live Sub, you'll have to go through the 'Turn Auto Renewal Off' process like I explained above, or go through the painstaking process of calling Microsoft if you cannot do it from the site.

Dee Zee
07-07-2010, 05:47 PM
You can do it this way. Or you can do it from the site, assuming the card isn't associated with a Live Subscription. I've deleted my card from my girlfriends account this way. It's not too hard.

When you sign in, click on the drop down tab and click on 'My Account'. When the next page comes up, click on 'Manage Payment Options' at the bottom of the gray box on the left site of the page. From there, you should see your card(s) that are associated with your tag and an 'Edit l Remove' option. Click on Remove and then run through a few more options to get rid of it.

But, if it's assigned to a Live Sub, you'll have to go through the 'Turn Auto Renewal Off' process like I explained above, or go through the painstaking process of calling Microsoft if you cannot do it from the site.
Haha, I didn't know you could do it that way. Thanks. Next time I know. :)

snipingheadshot
07-07-2010, 05:59 PM

Took me a while to find the My Account drop tab because I never used it, but I removed the credit card. Thanks!

A ZombieTwinkie
07-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Not a problem. Glad to help.

Damage
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
YOU ARE ALL WRONG (well most of you) hehehe :p

He is in the UK as discussed many times and stated in the xbox.com forum, YOU MUST RING MS TO HAVE THE AUTOMATIC RENEW REMOVED.

Only the US, Germany and a few other, apparently more respectable country's can do it online the way shown above. When asked 'why not everyone' MS said it was removed at the end of last year/early this year..to stop people turning it off by mistake. Apparently the 2 promps telling you to confirm turning it off were NOT enough for us thick Brits.

iNSANiTY
07-07-2010, 08:34 PM
You can't cancel it. I had this same problem, you have to ring up Microsoft and they will remove auto renewal. Then once the month is over you'll be able to put in your 3 month code and remove credit card details.

Perfection I
07-07-2010, 10:50 PM
EDIT: Ok I can't do it anymore. Your gonna have to ring them lol. Crazy that they can get away with this. There should be an option via online or on the xbox itself.

Snowwwwy
07-07-2010, 11:05 PM
This is why I buy my live subscriptions over a counter. Hate this stuff here.. and they make it hard to find to turn it off.. pricks lol.

$RebelG
07-07-2010, 11:10 PM
If you live anywhere but the US/some privileged countries you cant use the automatic cancel button on your account page, trust me I've tried. Seems like we get it even though we can't use it. Best thing you can do is ring up MS before your renewal is up or they will charge you no matter what. And they have really good people on the phone, that you can understand and aren't Indian for a change. Very helpful people. Although you'll just have to put up with them maybe asking why you are canceling or that you should pay for a years subscription next time since it works out cheaper.