PDA

View Full Version : What did you grow up listening to?

Starstrukk X360A
07-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Simple as that; what kind music did you listen to as you grew up to become the fan of music you're into now?

My parents listened to only spanish music so that's all I heard; then I listened to only pop music as I got into middle school. For the first two years of high school it was just rap that I listened to, and I started going into rock a year later.

Now? I listen to just about everything.

Deyankees1
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Simple as that; what kind music did you listen to as you grew up to become the fan of music you're into now?

My parents listened to only spanish music so that's all I heard; then I listened to only pop music as I got into middle school. For the first two years of high school it was just rap that I listened to, and I started going into rock a year later.

Now? I listen to just about everything.

Same here heard nothing but Spanish music as that's all my parent listened to. Then in middle school I got into rap and rock and now rap has died out for me so its just rock/metal etc. Still listen to some old Spanish stuff now and then.

tweak4ever
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Classical Music...UGH! make it STOP!!!!

Xerofox
07-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Queen and Michael Jackson (the 80's 1.0 version), after that Metallica, Nirvana and Tupac. Not a bad list to grow up with.

AsoJamie NL
07-07-2010, 09:21 PM
most of 80's disco music, always stayed over at my grandma so xD

tweak4ever
07-07-2010, 09:24 PM
most of 80's disco music, always stayed over at my grandma so xD

haha, your GRANDMA was into disco?

Efase
07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I've listened to Metallica since i was a little folk, mate.

Burning Karma
07-08-2010, 02:47 AM
My dad introduced me to rock music. I remember listening to Kiss and Metallica as a wee lad. After that, up until I was about 13/14, I mainly listened to whatever my friends did because I didn't really care about music. Thankfully, Godsmack and Disturbed pulled me back into rock and metal music. Been in love with those genres every since. ^^

DOOKH8R
07-08-2010, 02:57 AM
60's Folk and Rock

Miasma
07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Basically Michael Jackson and whatever was popular at the time up until the age of 9 or 10, not really sure. Then my friends brother got me listening to The Offspring, Blink 182, etc, and it just pretty much got heavier and heavier from there on out. I listen to more or less anything nowadays, but mostly hardcore.

B1GM13
07-08-2010, 01:48 PM
My parents were kinda cool i guess... no metal or anything like that. But in my younger days my parents would play..

Bob Marley
Elvis Presley
Carpenters
Abba (not so good, whats worse is i still know so many Abba songs :| )
Jimmi Hendrix
Queen
Status Quo
Alice Cooper
and of course Micheal Jackson

oDrPepper
07-08-2010, 02:17 PM
From my Dad it would be Queen, from my own willing choice it would be, well... What was I thinking?

YouTube- Busted-Year 3000

DarkestofFlames
07-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I grew up in the late 70's early 80's. My whole family was really into music. My father was a big fan of soul, motown, funk, jazz, blues, and rock.
My mother was into rock and disco.
My brother was a metal fan, but stopped listening to metal and became a fan of early rap- and I took his record collection.
My grandmother was into Son Jalisciense, rancheras, tejano, and pretty much all forms of latin music.
I listen to all of the above, but I also got into metal and extreme metal as well as roc en espanol.

So I grew up listening to tons of music (we were not t.v. watchers) and going to tons of concerts. My family also loved to have parties and there was always dancing.

JohnnyR74
07-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I grew up listening to a lot of music from the 60s, The Beatles, The Monkees, Beach Boys, The Animals, etc. I still listen to them often, along with what I listen to today.

Tussell
07-08-2010, 05:54 PM
I listened to a lot of rock like ZZ Top, Boston, Journey, etc. I also listened to a bunch of popular pop-punk, such as Green Day, Sum 41, etc. However, as soon as I got to about, fifth grade, is when I got into metal.

SupermanRivera
07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
i listen to everything now. mostly hip hop. but i grew up to nothing but rap. 2pac, B.I.G, outcast, bone thugs and so on

Gorilla Stomper
07-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Well believe it or not, I grew up listening to stuff like Madness, Queen, ABBA, Madonna, pretty much what my parents listened to when they were kids.

I now I listen to stuff like this.

YouTube- The Union - The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - Danza III - NEW SONG

Billy69
07-09-2010, 11:46 PM
When I was younger I listened to rap, and now I am still into rap
Im 14 BTW

BedCommando
07-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Started with Classic Rock (ACDC, Queen) from my mom. Then whenever I visited my Uncle John (Mom's side), he got me into Metallica, Megadeth, and my first favourite band, Testament. I was about 6 at the time, and I already knew this was my calling, my genre. Over the years I've branched my taste into other sub-genres of Metal, and have become extremely passionate about protecting it.
Nowadays? I really only tolerate Metal, Rock and Punk, and if I was choosing the music, I'd always stick with my Metal.

BarbaricGoose
07-10-2010, 04:10 AM
My mother listened to jazz, r&b and soul and what not. My dad listened to rock.

Dad was generally the one who had the music turned on, so I'd usually hear Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Dire Straits, Creedence, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, et cetera. Sometimes my mom would turn on the music, though, so then it'd be James Brown, Charles Mingus and Stevie Wonder.

Classic rock, folk, metal, jazz, some r&b, I can listen to and enjoy pretty much anything now. My heart will always be with progressive rock and folk music, though. :p

WhIpLaSh 014
07-10-2010, 05:04 AM
I grew up listening to light rock. This was back when Green Day were popular and not as emo as they are now. Now I mostly listen to Agressive rock, orchestrated music (when I feel like punching a wall,) R&B, Techno, etc. None of that death metal shit.

xSx8x PsYchotic
07-10-2010, 05:10 AM
my family are metal heads so i grew up listening to it also, which i love \m/

but it is different cause my mom listens to country but still loves metal but my sisters listen to country and the current 'fads' -_- gets annoying

funny thing though is my mom hates the music i listen to (Death Metal) but my dad loves it!!! he is getting into the harder stuff lol but he still loves all his fav's!
my mom said the only thing close to what me and my dad listen to is King Diamond lol she said thats pushin it xD

my sisters say how can i listen to music that just goes RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and screams cause they say it is just noise and not music, and justin bieber is great music? (lil sis loves that faggot)

SubG3nius
07-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Hmm, it must have been mostly Swedish artists, one rapper named Fronda and of course some Michael Jacksson music. I didn't care what music it was as long as it was no heavy metal or crap like that, never found heavy metal good, find it disgusting for some reason.

Bebe Buell
07-10-2010, 09:23 AM
When I was at my best friends house we listened to Eminem all the time, then I started listening to Iron Maiden and since then it has been rock/metal all the way, until now. I've started listening to Eminem again and The Prodigy, and of course still alot of rock/metal.

dirge
07-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Started off with bands like Aerosmith and Bon Jovi.

Gorilla Stomper
07-11-2010, 01:02 AM
My sisters say how can I listen to music that just goes RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And screams because they say it is just noise and not music, and Justin Bieber is great music? (Lil sis loves that faggot)

This sounds ridiculously familiar...

A ZombieTwinkie
07-11-2010, 01:53 AM
I got stuck listening to Country growing up. When I hit fourth or fifth grade, I got into Rap for a few years. Then the summer between eighth and ninth grade I got into Metal and still listen to it now.

Neverender
07-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Always loved music, just very different kinds.

Before I was in school and during elementary, I was big into pop music.
In middle school, I started listening to my parents' music, which was mainly country.
Towards the end of middle school, I started listening to mainstream rock/metal.
In high school, I started listening to hardcore/post-hardcore, and that's still what I mainly listen to.

Never liked rap and I never will.

SALT1R3
07-14-2010, 01:29 AM
I changed my music tastes a lot growing up. I was first into Techno music in a big way (man I had a load of shell-suits lol), then Rock music, Synthesiser music then Classical.

These days I'll listen to most stuff if its good; I never thought I'd listen to Country Western music until I heard Johnny Cash, so my music tastes are very varied now.

brokensaint82
07-14-2010, 01:33 AM
I grew up listening to Country music until my older brother introduced em to Metallica when i was 10 and ever since then, I've been a metalhead. i do occasionally listen to other things as well, classical, OLD country not this new crap and some others but mainly its metal and hard rock for me.

Alice in Wonderland
07-14-2010, 04:24 AM
My parents always listened to Classical and Jazz music ( and they still do, everyday ) so they got me into this when I was very young. I'm not hating this kind of music, but i'm not really listening it. When I was like 15 I started listening to the Distillers, Dead Kennedys and Sex Pistols, I had my ''punk'' phase and now I listen to everything.

Tapion
07-15-2010, 03:08 AM
When was younger, listened to what my brothers listened to.. were into punk and alternative, rap, and some rock. Just remember hearing Descendents, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr., Bone, and such.. Now mostly about anything that sounds good, but mainly metal and rock.

klokwerk
07-15-2010, 03:18 AM
My dad had (well, he still has them) a ton of old records, mostly AC/DC, Pink Floyd, and KISS. My Mom listened to whatever was on the radio or whatever my dad played. My mom did introduce me to Nirvana when she bought a car with a CD player and she got the Nevermind album. I still have that cd to this day, it's one of my favorites, followed by Back in Black by AC/DC and In Utero by Nirvana.

Joker0fLife
07-15-2010, 01:38 PM
My parents listened to anything labeled classic rock today. So that was what I listened to, my brother listened to the same thing, but he branched off and listened to rap and more metal, which I followed suite. My brother listened to Korn's Take A Look In The Mirror when it came out, and that was the heaviest metal I'd listened to until about 9th grade/2006. Then, rap dropped off, and metal progressively got heavier until now.

mcgive
07-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Korn and Nirvana mostly.

Lava Tonsil
07-15-2010, 07:16 PM
My Dad listened to a lot of classical and jazz music so that was always in the background, but the local radio played mostly reggae so i heard a lot of reagge as a kid.
Through teens to being a young adult i listened to rock/metal/jungle/hip hop/DnB/indie in various phases and now i like to listen to a bit of everything.
i do tend to fall back on reggae as 'default' though, i must admit.

rvlution
07-16-2010, 03:07 AM
Weird Al Yankovic. I think he's one of the reasons I tend to stray away from more mainstream stuff today.

Aeope
07-17-2010, 07:05 AM
My parents listened to a lot of classic rock, like The Police and Queen. My dad also listened to a lot of Dio.

KeepEmRolling
07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
I enjoy all types of music except rap, and I grew up listening to 60s and 70s rock and blues.

The Brownie Bandit
07-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Ramones, Green Day, Sum 41, Sex Pistols, Talking Heads, and The Clash.

animeaddict42
07-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I first listened to country music, mostly because it was my parents favorite genre, until I was about 11. Then, I heard Kryptonite on the radio at a friend's house and my interest in alternative/rock began. Then I picked up Guitar Hero 1 about 3 months after it came out and I've been hooked on rock since. Rock Band also led me to listen to just about everything eventually.

Afro Ninja
07-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I grew up listening to bands such as Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister, Extreme, and AC/DC. Then when I turned around 10, I got into heavier bands such as Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Exodus, Pantera, etc. (I still love Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, Judas Priest, and AC/DC though.) After I turned 15, I got into even heavier bands such as Cannibal Corpse, Mortician, Morbid Angel, Possessed, etc. And here I am today, an 18 year old listening to Heavy Metal, Rock, Classical Music, Jazz, Blues, and yeah, pretty much. Sometimes if I'm in the mood, I might even listen to some Funk :cool:

Heavy Metal sub-genres I listen to:
Thrash Metal
Speed Metal
Traditional Heavy Metal
Death Metal
Groove Metal
Doom Metal
Grindcore
Glam Metal
Power Metal
Black Metal
Extreme Metal
Metalcore
Neo-Classical Metal

Rock sub-genres I listen to:
Heavy Metal :P
Hard Rock
Blues Rock
Psychedelic Rock
Instrumental Rock
Southern Rock
Punk (I really only listen to Hardcore Punk.)
Grunge

Edit: And even though I'm an Atheist, I do very much enjoy Church music.

Ebonix
07-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I can only really remember 3 of the artists my parents listening too when I was very young. That being The Beach Boys, Michael Jackson & E.L.O. (Electric Light Orchestra). Still listen to this now. When I started listening to my own music I started listening to Jamiroquai, Coolio, Snoop Dogg & Dr. Dre. I've moved away slightly from those 4 but still listening to rap music. Just not the mainstream stuff.

specVjavi
07-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Grew up listening to some spanish music, but mostly bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and such thanks to my dad. Also listened to the "grunge" bands of the 90s because of my older brother.

Afro Ninja
07-21-2010, 01:18 AM
my family are metal heads so i grew up listening to it also, which i love \m/

but it is different cause my mom listens to country but still loves metal but my sisters listen to country and the current 'fads' -_- gets annoying

funny thing though is my mom hates the music i listen to (Death Metal) but my dad loves it!!! he is getting into the harder stuff lol but he still loves all his fav's!
my mom said the only thing close to what me and my dad listen to is King Diamond lol she said thats pushin it xD

my sisters say how can i listen to music that just goes RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and screams cause they say it is just noise and not music, and justin bieber is great music? (lil sis loves that faggot) Ah, the stereotypes us metalheads have to deal with.

"Metal is the "Devil's" music!"

"All metal is, is just screaming!"

"You metal fans are satanists!"

"All they sing about in metal is blood, Satan, and darkness!"

Fucking morons.
My parents listened to anything labeled classic rock today. So that was what I listened to, my brother listened to the same thing, but he branched off and listened to rap and more metal, which I followed suite. My brother listened to Korn's Take A Look In The Mirror when it came out, and that was the heaviest metal I'd listened to until about 9th grade/2006. Then, rap dropped off, and metal progressively got heavier until now.
Really!?

And for the love of Metallica, Korn is not metal!!!!!!!!!

Burning Karma
07-21-2010, 07:38 PM
And for the love of Metallica, Korn is not metal!!!!!!!!!
Nü metal is a sub-genre of metal......

H0p3sfalL
07-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Green Jelly
A.F.I (older stuff)
Deftones
GnR
Less Then Jake
Aerosmith

master_shake_350
07-22-2010, 09:28 AM
The only music I can remember is the original War Of The Worlds soundtrack, Neil Diamond and Kung Fu Fighting.

Big Stoz
07-22-2010, 09:59 AM
70's Sex Pistols and Ska
80's New Romantic & Indie
90's Trance and Dance
More recent Linkin Park and Feeder (current faves)

Now it's any old shite but still have a soft spot for Duran Duran who kept going through the years.

Afro Ninja
07-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Nü metal is a sub-genre of metal......
They are not even Nu-Metal. If there was a Nu-Rock, I would put them there. They're really just Rap Rock. They're not heavy enough to be considered Metal in my opinion.

Tussell
07-22-2010, 06:01 PM
They are not even Nu-Metal. If there was a Nu-Rock, I would put them there. They're really just Rap Rock. They're not heavy enough to be considered Metal in my opinion.
Umm... Korn has been labeled, on more than one occasion, to be the first nu-metal band...

One of the best music videos ever!
YouTube- Korn - Right Now

MrSpanner
07-22-2010, 07:31 PM
UB40, Blur and Oasis

Bababoof
07-31-2010, 04:25 AM
Grew up with the Beatles

thezest
07-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Always loved music, just very different kinds.

Before I was in school and during elementary, I was big into pop music.

In high school, I started listening to hardcore/post-hardcore, and that's still what I mainly listen to.

this is me too
except elementary and middle was all pop punk

recently i've been going back to that and listening to some heavier, technical stuff like periphery and within the ruins

mrszeeeze
08-01-2010, 11:53 PM
I grew up listening to whatever rock songs were being played on the radio of the day or whatever came out on the Big Shiny Tunes CD's. That and a lot of seventies and eighties rock, with the occasional Cher or ABBA CD thrown in.

bowmanx4587
08-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Wow, hmm about 8 years ago and when I was younger I mostly listened to RAP and that crap. But now it's full on metal. BFMV all the way!

FFFreak1129
08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I grew up listening to spanish music. My parents listened to Merengue and Cumbia mostly so thats what I listened to as well. After I got into high school I started branching out and listening to other things. Now I listen to pretty much everything and anything. Even stuff in other languages like Japanese that I don't know what is being said but I think sounds cool lol.

PoOKi
08-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Began with music like Uriah Heep and Slade since my dad always listen to it, then moved over to stuff like Novembers Doom, Therion and Theater of Tragedy. Now I listen too almost everything exept for rap and pop from the last decade.

Sgt Petter
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Mostly pop, now I listen mostly to rock and metal

DreddPirate Rob
08-02-2010, 11:45 AM
My dad is a huge fan of Rock music so i grew up listening to things like Led Zepplin, Frank Zappa, The Doors, Queen, Hendrix, etc. you name it he probably owned it.

My Uncle listens to bands like The Cure, Depeche Mode, Petshop Boys, etc.

And Just about everyone in my family listens to Rock en Espanol.

Alot of these bands are what i listen to now as well.

HAK Devil
08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
My parents were massive Michael Jackson and Madonna fans so I listened mostly to that growing up. Considering they are my 2 favourite artists as well I have no regrets :D

ThaFireman
08-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Korn, Eminem, Limp Bizkit, Staind, pretty much anything my brother listened to.

dmf087
08-04-2010, 11:52 PM
When I was a kid and in my early teens I listened to pop/rock mainly. I only really remember AC/DC, The Beatles, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd and Jimmy Buffet cause that's pretty much all my parents ever played in the house. I liked it to an extent, but, personally though I was all into boybands like every other young/teenage girl for years and years...I don't think I need to make the list of shame.
When I got into my later teens (like 16 or 17 I think) though I got into the Misfits then I got into a punk phase for a while.
Then when I was 18 I started listening to metal and now that's what I listen to mainly.

TakahashiDemon
08-05-2010, 12:14 AM
I didn't really grew up with any music, maybe some heavy metal and that was about it.

Gorilla Stomper
08-05-2010, 01:44 AM

Rap-Rock? But surely that requires rapping in songs?

What is it with you and genres, I don't think I've encountered anyone as musically ignorant as you.

Battosai343
08-05-2010, 02:03 AM
I grew up listening to what my parents were into: Garth Brooks, LeAnn Rimes, Donny Osmond, etc...yeah, it was bad. I remember hopping into my dad's car when I was young and finally got a chance to fiddle with the radio. AC/DC's TNT was the first rock song I ever heard. It was awesome! Shortly after, I went to the local library and they had an Aerosmith and a Zeppelin album; I've been hooked ever since.

Once I started playing guitar in middle school, I started listening to artists like Satriani, Clapton, Hendrix, and Gilbert. I also got into bands like Rise Against, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Green Day, Evanescence during the last years of high school. Ah, good times, great memories.

muzykalscorpio
08-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Grew up on Madonna and Michael Jackson.

Listened to lots of pop stuff till 8th grade, where I was home schooled for a year.

Friend introduced me to the "Big Four" / thrash metal - now I'm primarily into 'hard rock'.