PDA

View Full Version : 18,800 Gamerscore in 188 Days and Counting...

WackFiend
07-08-2010, 07:25 AM
I little over six months ago I created a thread here on x360a detailing my New Year's resolution of achieving 100 gamerscore every day (on average) for the entire year. I started the year off with 50,000 gamerscore (so it would be easier to keep track), and I am happy to report that as of a couple of hours ago I am still on par with my goal.

What's surprising is that I haven't purchased very many games since the start of the year, so I've had to go back and play a lot of the games I've had lying around for a while. I used to be in the habit of going on eBay every few weeks and seeing what 360 games I could get for under $10 that were in brand new condition, resulting in me purchasing a lot more games than I've had time to play. I've currently got 101 retail games, and probably about two dozen arcade games, only 28 of which I've completed, and with just over 50% completion overall.

I started a blog to go along with this, which you can still find a link for in my signature, reporting daily on what achievements I had, what tips and suggestions I had for them, and generally what I thought about them. I haven't posted in a few weeks because I found that not only does nobody care about achievements for games more than a few weeks old, but it also got tedious and boring. I've tried including reviews for movies, games and TV shows, but still couldn't find the motivation to do so. Once I figure out the way I want my blog to work I'll probably start posting again.

Anyway, I wanted to post this to give a status update for anyone who read the original post, and also to share my "success story" for anyone that finds it interesting.

katesith
07-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Very interesting! Surprising how well it is going for you! I'm glad to see some one out here doing something as different as this. That is a nice goal and pace you choose.

StephenJ360
07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
A blog about getting 100 gamerscore a day? No thanks.

Btw, this will not net you fame on the "internets"

katesith
07-08-2010, 08:01 AM

Well I find it interesting. How much have you progressed on your gamerscore since New Years?

oDrPepper
07-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Why does there always have to be one miserable twat in every thread?

OT: I've had so many days, even weeks, where I haven't got any gamerscore at all. Don't have enough patience and would feel the pressure of missing my target for a day.

Good job though, and good luck keeping it up.

Juiceh
07-08-2010, 08:26 AM

OT: I've had so many days, even weeks, where I haven't got any gamerscore at all. Don't have enough patience and would feel the pressure of missing my target for a day.

He's pretty right. The last thing I'd think about about is turning my blog into a shitty "look mommy, I can get 100G a day" article-row. Other than that: How about 250G a day? Now that would be more of a challenge than just 100G.

Slow2die
07-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Lol at the random Glee review on your blog.

VisionsOfDemise
07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Son what is this?

WackFiend
07-08-2010, 09:05 AM

You don't have to read it, that's fine. I'm not in this for fame or fortune.

He's pretty right. The last thing I'd think about about is turning my blog into a shitty "look mommy, I can get 100G a day" article-row. Other than that: How about 250G a day? Now that would be more of a challenge than just 100G.

250G would be a challenge, yes. But, the goal of this wasn't necessarily to be challenging, but to be reasonable. I've also found that 100G a day can be challenging, especially given with the games I have to work with. There have been days when I've accumulated a lot more than the required 100G (back in February I got 940 points in a single day playing Bioshock and Perfect Dark Zero), but for the most part 100G is a good pace.

Lol at the random Glee review on your blog.

Glee is, for the most part, an excellent show. But like I said, I've been experimenting with different content.

TVthePunisher
07-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Glee is, for the most part, an excellent show. But like I said, I've been experimenting with different content.

*eyetwitch*...Must...refrain...from...transforming ...into...angry...TOO MANY DOTS, GAH!

Anyways, apart from...that comment, I am in support of this very reasonable goal. Well done I must say, to keep up with it especially given the games and all you work with is amazing. Yes, up to 250...a challenge...but not as reasonable as people think. Not to mention you kind of have to stop yourself at 100 (or a little over) each day, which makes those big-point achievements difficult...and overall completing a game is put on hold =/...seriously, with a game where the achievements are rooted in progressing through the story or such...you might only get to play just one small section a day to amass that 100 point total.

kentarulez
07-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Nice one mate, I'd love to be able to stick to my targets like you do.

WackFiend
07-08-2010, 10:42 AM
*eyetwitch*...Must...refrain...from...transforming ...into...angry...TOO MANY DOTS, GAH!

Anyways, apart from...that comment, I am in support of this very reasonable goal. Well done I must say, to keep up with it especially given the games and all you work with is amazing. Yes, up to 250...a challenge...but not as reasonable as people think. Not to mention you kind of have to stop yourself at 100 (or a little over) each day, which makes those big-point achievements difficult...and overall completing a game is put on hold =/...seriously, with a game where the achievements are rooted in progressing through the story or such...you might only get to play just one small section a day to amass that 100 point total.

If I reach my 100G goal for the day, I won't stop earning achievements. Like I said, it's an "on average" goal. There was a time when I was 16 days behind, but then there have been times when I am three or four days ahead. The times when I'm ahead are actually nice because I can relax and not worry about it for a few days. Or, I can work towards the achievements which take a lot of time to get. I'm still working on beating Mass Effect 2 for my second time, on Insanity, as well as Dead Space on Impossible. Both of those achievements are worth 150G each, more than I need for a single day, but they take more time than I have in that day. So when I have free time I like to go and play them for 30-60 minutes.

Wortsenawl
07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
I like this... it is a good idea to give you a little bit of interest to keep up with some longer achievements, like Dead Space, etc.

I don't know why people are so down on other peoples blogs... it's like being pissed at a newspaper for writing articles yuo don't like. At the end of the day, don't read it if you don't think it a useful way to spend your time.

KeepEmRolling
07-08-2010, 12:49 PM

So true :)

Yeah, i couldn't do that cause i wouldn't like the little nagging in the back of my head letting me know i was short for the day, lol.

Congrats, and good luck with your goal!

Yontnaem
07-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I have a similar target. I started the year on 60,000 and want to be 100,000 by the end of the year, which is an average of 110 per day. I'm a little behind at the moment, but i did go on holiday for three weeks in June. I have some weeks when my score jumps up and others when I get no score at all.

I am also trying to get my percentage up to 75% complete, so this means I'm revisiting old games as well.

WackFiend
07-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I have a similar target. I started the year on 60,000 and want to be 100,000 by the end of the year, which is an average of 110 per day. I'm a little behind at the moment, but i did go on holiday for three weeks in June. I have some weeks when my score jumps up and others when I get no score at all.

I am also trying to get my percentage up to 75% complete, so this means I'm revisiting old games as well.

Now, I don't know how much you enjoy games like Ben 10 and Ice Age (and I say this with as much respect as possible) but the one thing I am making sure of with this goal, and my gamerscore in general, is that I won't play a game strictly for the achievements. I'll never play something like Avatar or NBA 2K6 just to get that extra 1000. Everything I've got on my played games list I enjoy, for the most part. My brother played Halo Wars on my gamertag when he ran out of Gold and got me some achievements, but that's about it.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get Arkham Asylum GOTY or not. I currently have my copy loaned out to my older brother, and don't expect it back, so it makes sense to get it. And I wouldn't mind playing through the game again, getting all the achievements along the way.

Yontnaem
07-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Now, I don't know how much you enjoy games like Ben 10 and Ice Age (and I say this with as much respect as possible) but the one thing I am making sure of with this goal, and my gamerscore in general, is that I won't play a game strictly for the achievements. I'll never play something like Avatar or NBA 2K6 just to get that extra 1000. Everything I've got on my played games list I enjoy, for the most part. My brother played Halo Wars on my gamertag when he ran out of Gold and got me some achievements, but that's about it.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get Arkham Asylum GOTY or not. I currently have my copy loaned out to my older brother, and don't expect it back, so it makes sense to get it. And I wouldn't mind playing through the game again, getting all the achievements along the way.

I think it's each to their own. I quite like playing the cartoon games as usually their short and mostly are fun. I do try to mix it up between tough and and easy 1000 points, it just depends what i get off my rental list. I play FIFA 10 a lot and I will be playing Crackdown 2. I really liked Batman, which is why i have finished it twice.

guillermo316
07-08-2010, 04:12 PM
cool i hope you keep going at it, don't give up and belive. 100G crazy!

Tiddy08
07-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Nice work man, eventually you will go wrong somewhere lol

StephenJ360
07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Okay guys, for all of the ones who want to insult me for being "rude". I'm not.

100 gamerscore a day is equivalent to 3,000 gamerscore a month. How many people on this website EXCEL past 3,000 a month? I know I do.

I've had XBL for 2 years, and have 105,000 GS. That's well over 100 gamerscore a day. Would any of you like to hear my story about how I've gotten there? Cause shit, I wouldn't even like to hear it, that's boring stuff.

I may as well make a blog about working at GameStop.

Aceman417
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM

100 gamerscore a day is equivalent to 3,000 gamerscore a month. How many people on this website EXCEL past 3,000 a month? I know I do.

I've had XBL for 2 years, and have 105,000 GS. That's well over 100 gamerscore a day. Would any of you like to hear my story about how I've gotten there? Cause shit, I wouldn't even like to hear it, that's boring stuff.

You need to calm down. And obviously you do care a bit about his blog because you keep going on about it. Get the f**k over it. He wants to write a blog on how much GS he gets each day? Then let him and stop flaming the f**k out of him. It's his choice to do it so give the *I don't care but I know I'm so much better than you* act a rest.

Yid1984
07-08-2010, 07:36 PM
You need to calm down. And obviously you do care a bit about his blog because you keep going on about it. Get the f**k over it. He wants to write a blog on how much GS he gets each day? Then let him and stop flaming the f**k out of him. It's his choice to do it so give the *I don't care but I know I'm so much better than you* act a rest.

What he said.

Anyone still keeping a new years resolution in July is a legend in my eyes. He could go for more but why pressure himself over it. Who knows, he could do 250g a day next year.

Joewl45
07-08-2010, 07:56 PM

I mean no offense with this, but I think you are in the minority in terms of how much gamerscore you earn. I mean I've had my xbox for 2 years and I haven't even broken 25,000 G yet, so to me it's interesting to see someone making up an achievement schedule and sticking to it. I can see why it might not be as intriguing to someone who already has a lot of gamerscore, it just kinda seems like you're raining on his parade.

Joewl45
07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Anyone still keeping a new years resolution in July is a legend in my eyes.

That is also a very good point, keep up the great work dude :)

WackFiend
07-08-2010, 08:55 PM

The earliest dated achievement I could find of yours was on November 6, 2007 (almost three years ago), which, if my calculations are correct, is 975 days ago. Using your current gamerscore of 105769, that's roughly 108 gamerscore per day. And that's if you didn't get any achievements before that while playing offline.

A big gamerscore won't make you famous on the internets either. Neither will shoddy math skills. And spoken from personal experience, a blog about GameStop could have it's upsides, if you talk about the right things.

EDIT: Just for fun, I determined that I've averaged 68 gamerscore per day since I got my Xbox on September 22, 2007, so maybe 100GS/day wasn't THAT big of a stretch.

credible
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Good luck, I'll be watching.

WarDawg65
07-08-2010, 11:31 PM
It will be interesting to see if you can keep it up the entire year.

TNP o Kaz Mania
07-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Good job! your doing a great job soo far man. Keep it up! I Think i might just do 250 a day lol :)

Snowwwwy
07-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Well done man. Thats good as. Smart way to do it too I reckon. 100 per day.

roflkatz
07-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Congrats Thats way better than what I can do on average I maybe get 100 gamerscore a week

GhOsT SLaYeR
07-09-2010, 04:21 AM
100 gamerscore is a challenge in my mind... i mean 700 gamerscore a week can be very easy, but also can be hard.. as if something cmes up you can't play every day.

Congrats to you.

CORPSE CRISIS
07-09-2010, 04:27 AM
gamerscore was fun untill you realize that its such a waste of time and money i used to consider it a hobbie i mean i would probabily be at 200 000 GS easy if i still went for achievements..

dakisbac
07-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Congrats man, stick with it. I won't be reading your blog since it's probably not exciting enough to keep my attention but if you pop in a few more times this year and let us know if you're still on track/failed I'll be happy to read it. Ignore the douche.

StephenJ360
07-09-2010, 05:01 AM
gamerscore was fun untill you realize that its such a waste of time and money i used to consider it a hobbie i mean i would probabily be at 200 000 GS easy if i still went for achievements..

Right there with ya, brother. Shit just gets boring, eh?

Oh, and by the way, to the OP, I'm just going on my years on XBL by how many years my Xbox tells me I've had it beside my gamertag. Obviously you care a LOT more about proving me wrong than I care about being right. Haha, hope that was time well spent going through my list :)

dakisbac
07-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Right there with ya, brother. Shit just gets boring, eh?

Oh, and by the way, to the OP, I'm just going on my years on XBL by how many years my Xbox tells me I've had it beside my gamertag. Obviously you care a LOT more about proving me wrong than I care about being right. Haha, hope that was time well spent going through my list :)

Well then, now that we've got that all cleared up please feel free to stop posting.

The Lazy Pyro
07-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Entertaining little goal you've got set up here. I just aim to get more then I had last week when it comes to me and achievement points. :P

jamie1000013
07-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Cool story bro.

Sizzlebuzz
07-09-2010, 06:54 AM
100 gamerscore is a challenge in my mind... i mean 700 gamerscore a week can be very easy, but also can be hard.. as if something cmes up you can't play every day.

Congrats to you.

It's probably very easy the first week, but I can't imagine sticking with it for 188 days.

Great job WackFiend.

TVthePunisher
07-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Cool story bro.

tl;dr

I couldn't pay attention because I have ADHD and my only resort was to "tl;dr" that. Sorry! T_T

Sizzlebuzz
07-09-2010, 06:59 AM
tl;dr

I couldn't pay attention because I have ADHD and my only resort was to "tl;dr" that. Sorry! T_T

Then don't post really. Either of you. I mean, if you're not going to read his post or at least read another post by a different user and go off of that, posting is almost pointless. Right?

SKIBADABOMSKI
07-09-2010, 07:32 AM
If you can go 16 days behind then isn't this like a math thing. Like from this date to this date on average i got 120Gs a day sort of thing?

So really one could go 11 months behind and then get 37000Gs in the last month and the target is margined.

But before I get head-locked by everyone I would like to add that as a cute personal target it's a nimble idea and well done for seeing it through.

WackFiend
07-09-2010, 10:02 AM
If you can go 16 days behind then isn't this like a math thing. Like from this date to this date on average i got 120Gs a day sort of thing?

So really one could go 11 months behind and then get 37000Gs in the last month and the target is margined.

But before I get head-locked by everyone I would like to add that as a cute personal target it's a nimble idea and well done for seeing it through.

I could, but considering its sometimes difficult to get the 100GS a day, I can't imagine having to do ten times that.