PDA

View Full Version : Kinect Shooter!?!

katesith
07-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Okay so as most of you all know that Ubisoft is developing a Rail-shooter for the Xbox 360 Kinect system. I have watched the trailer over and over again and reading about its "Multi Sensatory Shooter" idea. Am I the only one who finds this to be interesting and do you think this will be a good success? IMO, I see my self buying Kinect solely off of this and for my family.

TitansWar
07-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Am I the only one who finds this to be interesting and do you think this will be a good success?

Apparently so.

Chaosx721
07-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Natal had me at child of eden, then lost me when they said it would be on the PS3 and able to use a controller. On topic, it sound interesting, but I still don't see buying Natal for it.

Giblets 2000
07-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Presumably Microsoft have a strategy behind releasing the Kinect technology, but IMO there are numerous pitfalls.

It seems obvious that they want a piece of the casual gamer pie that Nintendo have been gorging on for years, and both the technology and the games confirmed for release appear to fit that category.

The problems come in A) not alienating the core fans of the XBOX B) marketing the xbox to casual gamers. I think the interesting discussion is whether the technology can marry the two types of gaming together. The comments I have seen suggest that core Xbox fans are very keen for Kinect to not be greased up and shoehorned into their beloved shooters like Halo - I think they have a very good point that the technology doesn't provide the type of experience you want in these games. I also think that it is a huge uphill battle to get people to think of the xbox as a casual gaming console - some girls I know have a Wii and when I started talking about how good the Xbox was, they turned their noses up like i'd just trodden dog shit into their carpet.

Personally, I think the best way to make the technology work is to have two tiers of games on the Xbox. The casual and the core. Core gamers are unlikely to buy casual games for themselves and vice versa. However, you are likely to have different types of gamers in the same household, so there could be a niche for a system that provides games for both types of players, without the need to buy more than one system.

To conclude then, the rail-shooter you refer to is probably casual enough to appeal to that category of gamer, but there are probably fewer people on this site who will be intersted - it's not the sort of thing that turns us on. Like you said, you have an xbox (which you probably didn't buy for games like 'you're in the movies') but this game would be good for the family.

Mircrosoft will have to be very pursuasive and hugely innovative to bring the two camps together with this technology, and I think they are better off not trying.

KeepEmRolling
07-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Natal had me at child of eden, then lost me when they said it would be on the PS3 and able to use a controller. On topic, it sound interesting, but I still don't see buying Natal for it.

Same here....it's definitely not a game that will get me to buy Natal. Until a game is made for it i have to play, Natal doesn't interest me at all.

BooseyGirl
07-08-2010, 12:51 PM
There's two sides to Natal:

1.) People either love it
or
2.) People either hate it

Even though it's not out yet....but whatever.

Personally I'm on the fence with "liking it." I think Natal is a cool idea albeit not very original if you look at the Wii which came before, way too many similarities. It seems the only thing Natal has going for it is the Xbox features that aren't on Wii and the voice activated controls with Natal.

As for the Rail-Shooter by Ubisoft, it's either going to be a hit or not. Let's not forget that there can be A LOT of problems with the motion sensors like some video's on YouTube have highlighted thus far. Hopefully those kinks are being worked out in the final months before Natal's release, but it's not something I'm going to hold my breath on. I'm excited at the prospect of pointing my fingers and pretending to shoot a gun (kind of like when I was a kid lol)

I'll buy Natal solely for the reason that it's family orientated and I like some of the casual "party" games they announced at E3. I'm hoping Natal won't disappoint, but like I said, I'm not holding my breath.

So yes, I too and looking forward to it.

TsarBlandi
07-08-2010, 05:36 PM
i thought it WAS Child of Eden that Ubisoft were talking about oO

the multi sensory thing was meaning that you clap for special attacks, and crap like that

katesith
07-08-2010, 05:58 PM
i thought it WAS Child of Eden that Ubisoft were talking about oO

the multi sensory thing was meaning that you clap for special attacks, and crap like that

Yea, I saw the trailer. The guy that was controlling it was flailing him self around for weird attacks. Kinda reminded me of Aang from "The Last Airbender". Shame how badly that movie came out.

Chaosx721
07-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Oh, were you talking about Child of Eden? I thought you might of been talking about another game. But yea when they showed Child of Eden, I was sold and was ready to get Natal day one. Then later they said it will also be on PS3 and you can use a regular controller I thought "No need to get it now! I'm just going to use my controller". Tetsuya Mizuguchi made it look cool, but in the end you doing it at home wont look as awesome as he did with a suit and white gloves.

hansenb54
07-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I hope all this motion stuff doesnt ruin gaming. I will not be purchasing Kinect. Id rather sit my lazy rear on the couch and not be floppin around my living room trying to play a game.

Ebonix
07-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I was hoping the same would happen when I saw trailers for Red Steel just before the Wii came out. Much to my dismay, Red Steel was an epic fail. I kind of expect the same for this.