PDA

View Full Version : Just got Red Ring of Death... help !

SOADFan64
07-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey guys, I just got the Red Ring of Death while playing my Xbox and I'm completely pissed off, I've got 2 problems I'd need your help with :

1) I was playing a game while this happened, and the game slot won't open. My game disk is trapped inside the Xbox and I'd like to get it out, what can I do to get the disk back ?

2) I am absolutely CLUELESS about what to do. Can you guys help me figure out how to repair it or get back another console ?

Please help, I'd appreciate it !

Joewl45
07-08-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm not really sure what to do about the disk drive thing, however the best thing to do about getting you're xbox repaired is sending it back to microsoft, they're surprisingly good at getting it repaired and sending it back to you quickly. This article might give you better advice: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534

Alternatively, if you have the money you could splash out on the new slim xbox, it apparently doesn't have the overheating problem and it has a lot of other useful features such as built in wifi and a 250 GB hard drive, all at the same price.

$RebelG
07-08-2010, 08:39 PM
No idea about the first problem - when I got RROD twice, my disc drives would still open and close with no problem. Maybe turn it off and press the disc eject button instead of pressing the circle?

Not sure where you live on the exact way to get the RROD sorted out in detail. But instead of ringing them up and saying that you've got a RROD console then you need to go to Xbox.com and sign in and then look for a little tab or link or something saying ''Repairs'' or something along those lines. Once you've got there, it gives you and option to actually do it all online istead of ringing them.

After you've put the serial in and gotten a couple of emails explaining what you have to do, depending on where you live MS either send you a box to put your 360 in and send it back, or like what I had to do - get yourself a big enough box and put your 360 in with some bubble wrap and print off the free postage sticker and put it on the box and I think UPS come and pick it up from your place and then after that you can basically watch the progress of the repair online from then on. Oh and remember only put your Xbox into the box - none of the cables/controllers or your HDD because you wont get them back.

Biohazzard87
07-08-2010, 09:29 PM
For the first problem I cant remember if they put a manual release on the system or not. But to check take off your faceplate and look around the cd tray, there might/should be a little pin hole. If you take a paper clip and unfold it, very carefully put it strait into that hold and it should rotate the gears of the release and open the tray.

GhOsT SLaYeR
07-09-2010, 04:37 AM
....well have your xbox connected to electricity (but don't have video cable in) and turn it on... it should start to turn on normal (unless totally screwed) and open disc tray... quickly grab game b4 it starts to red ring....
or
Try towel trick..(youtube if you don't know how) and you should be able to start xbox normally and open disc tray...
or (last step don't try this first)

IF.... and I say IF your out of Warranty you can open your xbox up yourself then open up the dvd player in it.. and get your game. (opening your xbox voids warranty..)

UmiSaint
07-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Don't feel bad, I've gone through 4 Xboxes. Unreliable hardware. The towel trick is usually a reliable quick fix though, but I wouldn't advise it if you have a warranty.

TheRealBr1ghtShadow
07-09-2010, 05:43 AM
My friend puts A glass of ice cold water wrapped up in a towel on his xbox fan. That works for about 3 hours. Then get new water. My other friend threw his 4th RROD down the stairs and it worked. :D

The Lazy Pyro
07-09-2010, 05:46 AM
My friend puts A glass of ice cold water wrapped up in a towel on his xbox fan. That works for about 3 hours. Then get new water. My other friend threw his 4th RROD down the stairs and it worked. :D

I'm pretty sure if you threw your 360 down the stiars, that would cause a RROD rather then fix one. :P

Mikey1610
07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
What exactly causes a full red ring, overheating?

A couple of weeks ago 1 of the 4 lights that make up the ring lit up red for me so I removed the HD and gave it a blow and it was fine, must have been dusty or something.

Does each light signify a particular error?

wyliecoyote1973
07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I wrapped mine in a towel(was out of warranty) for about 20mins and it worked fine for a year then went down again took off x clamps took off ALL sync paste re-applied new sync paste & replaced X clamps for bolts (you can get them off ebay) & it lasted another year! Died in the end as they always do,theres never a permanent cure once it fails unless it goes back to microsoft or if you dont want to do that & it is out of warranty microsoft will still fix it for you for about 70,comes back with a 12month warranty on it as well which aint to bad.

jimi_stephen
07-09-2010, 12:49 PM
take the face plat off and under the tray should be a pin hole, take a paper clip, straighten it out and stick it in there. problem solved. Then send it off for repairs.

_DaNnY_
07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
What exactly causes a full red ring, overheating?

A couple of weeks ago 1 of the 4 lights that make up the ring lit up red for me so I removed the HD and gave it a blow and it was fine, must have been dusty or something.

Does each light signify a particular error?

If that was the red ring in the top left corner that's probably E74 error and it's not caused by dust. It means the solder which keeps the heatsinks on the chips is melting and the xbox couldn't detect one of the heatsinks and thus spewed out that error. I'd be careful with your console buddy it COULD be on its way out. That, or it was just a scare. They can happen and your console work for another 6 months, likewise 3 weeks later they can refuse to even load the dashboard. Make sure you have some funds set aside for a new console! These things break way too much...

regulardrake
07-09-2010, 01:02 PM

ha ha I should of tried that when mine PROD. :)

Filter x360a
07-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Ok, so a few questions. This could possibly NOT be the RRoD.

a) Did your console shut off mid game and just die?

b) Is the light on your power brick red?

c) Does the fan on the 360 start up at all when you hit the power button?

This could be a power supply issue, which (funny enough) happened to me last week. If the light on the brick is red (or blinking red), then you need to unplug it and let it cool off for a while. This MAY help, but sometimes when they fail, they are completely shot. I have a few of them so I just swapped out for a different one and my console worked fine. I went back and tried the same one that failed the next day and it now works again.

The lights on the console are the same as the RRoD when the brick fails, so it's easy to get them mixed up. Also, the disk drive not opening is common when this happens. You should still be able to eject your disk when you get the RRoD (I know, I've gone through 4 consoles).

Just check the light on the brick and go from there. Hope this helps.