PDA

View Full Version : Regarding my Xbox 360 Slim purchase next week.

irPhoenix
07-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Okay first things first I'm purchasing a slim next week, my thoughts are to just recover my gamertag and start my saves etc scratch. My question to you is what actually comes with my recovered gamertag?

Achievements are obvious
DLC from the marketplace after licensing also

How about SOME of my online ranks? I know Call of Dutys do because they are saved to servers? But what about the ranks that are saved to game saves? (like RSV2 did) If any please state.

How about the avatar awards I've unlocked? What happens to these? I know the avatar clothing from the marketplace comes as you download them from your history, but the ones that I've unlocked IN game, what becomes off these and how will I get them back?

The gamerpics I've unlocked in game e.g. Gears and Peggle as they just 'pop' would they come with my gamertag or would I have to redownload them somewhere, if not playthrough again?

Also my final concern is the EA related stuff, e.g. Cerberus Network for Mass Effect 2, Fifa's Online codes etc. What becomes of these? Do they stick on your hard drive or are they WITH your account/ea account connection?

Please could you state the above answers and also answer as much as you can towards the question 'If I recover my gamertag on a fresh hard drive and start fresh on the saves etc, what would come with my gamertag?'

Any answers are welcome and I thank you very much in advance.

SilentDeadSea
07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Thats why i'm just using a USB to move my saved game data and all.

irPhoenix
07-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Thats why i'm just using a USB to move my saved game data and all.

Yeah, I can't really deicide what to do, I want go fresh but the stuff I want to keep I don't know if it will stick, if this thread doesn't shed any light on the situation I'll probably pick myself up a data transfer kit.

Starstrukk X360A
07-08-2010, 09:32 PM
When you recover a gamertag, just the achievements and whatnot are recovered. Saved games stay on the console though.

Online ranking information is stored online, so you have no need to worry.

Avatar awards unlocked will unlock again if you happened to delete them (at least this occurred with Halo Waypoint for me.)

I'm not sure if gamerpics unlocked through games would pop up again; you can't download them, though.

As for the EA related garb, I'd assume it's connected to your EA account information.

Finally, if you were to start fresh on saves, your gamertag isn't harmed; you'd have the achievements you already had before; it's just the gameplay that needs to be redone.

irPhoenix
07-08-2010, 09:59 PM
When you recover a gamertag, just the achievements and whatnot are recovered. Saved games stay on the console though.

Online ranking information is stored online, so you have no need to worry.

Avatar awards unlocked will unlock again if you happened to delete them (at least this occurred with Halo Waypoint for me.)

I'm not sure if gamerpics unlocked through games would pop up again; you can't download them, though.

As for the EA related garb, I'd assume it's connected to your EA account information.

Finally, if you were to start fresh on saves, your gamertag isn't harmed; you'd have the achievements you already had before; it's just the gameplay that needs to be redone.

So what your saying is if I purely recover my gamertag straight out the box, all that will be gone is the obvious..game saves?

Everything else will be back? Including in-game award unlocks?

Starstrukk X360A
07-08-2010, 10:33 PM
I can't really confirm the avatar awards would come back, but I don't see why they wouldn't; they're unlocked when the game detects a certain achievement or task is done.

But yeah, your game saves are localized; you can't recover them.

irPhoenix
07-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I can't really confirm the avatar awards would come back, but I don't see why they wouldn't; they're unlocked when the game detects a certain achievement or task is done.

But yeah, your game saves are localized; you can't recover them.

Yeah, they should, but I was wondering like some online ranks save to your game save? I remember RSV2 on my Ps3 resetting, not sure if its the same on the 360 but yeah.

mmartynn
07-08-2010, 10:39 PM
just get a 2GB memory stick, stick all your themes, gamerpics, save datas and avatr shit on it. keep it safe till friday. nuf said.

Sidereal
07-08-2010, 10:56 PM

For games that have unlock-able gamer pics, there is usually an option in the menu somewhere to re-download them. This is generally based on whether or not an active save file that has met the necessary requirements is present.

For example, Banjo-Tooie has unlock-able gamer pics. You can choose to re-download them from the menu, so long as the save file that you unlocked them with is still on the HDD.

irPhoenix
07-08-2010, 10:58 PM
For games that have unlock-able gamer pics, there is usually an option in the menu somewhere to re-download them. This is generally based on whether or not an active save file that has met the necessary requirements is present.

For example, Banjo-Tooie has unlock-able gamer pics. You can choose to re-download them from the menu, so long as the save file that you unlocked them with is still on the HDD.

So I would presume this is the same with in-game avatar awards?

PointPlaceWI
07-08-2010, 11:04 PM

There is no option to redownload some though, such as the gamerpics from beating Mass Effect on hardcore and insanity. Unless those pics can be unlocked again through beating the game on hardcore and insanity. I haven't tried that though, because after five playthroughs of Mass Effect I don't really feel like playing two more for the possibility of getting two pics I'd never use back. I would recommend at least using a USB on unlockables because you never know.

Sidereal
07-08-2010, 11:07 PM
So I would presume this is the same with in-game avatar awards?

Probably. I only have 'Splosion Man, and don't remember if there was an option to re-download the awards.

Your best bet would be to save all your gamer pics to USB, just to be on the safe side, but if you need to conserve space or something, you could always find a list of what games have unlock-able Avatar Awards and gamer pics, and compare what you have already unlocked against what you can re-download. Anything not on that list, you should back up.

And yes, I realise that's a very tedious task, and one I wouldn't exactly recommend.

A Pip Boy 3000
07-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Okay first things first I'm purchasing a slim next week, my thoughts are to just recover my gamertag and start my saves etc scratch. My question to you is what actually comes with my recovered gamertag?

Achievements are obvious
DLC from the marketplace after licensing also

How about SOME of my online ranks? I know Call of Dutys do because they are saved to servers? But what about the ranks that are saved to game saves? (like RSV2 did) If any please state.

How about the avatar awards I've unlocked? What happens to these? I know the avatar clothing from the marketplace comes as you download them from your history, but the ones that I've unlocked IN game, what becomes off these and how will I get them back?

The gamerpics I've unlocked in game e.g. Gears and Peggle as they just 'pop' would they come with my gamertag or would I have to redownload them somewhere, if not playthrough again?

Also my final concern is the EA related stuff, e.g. Cerberus Network for Mass Effect 2, Fifa's Online codes etc. What becomes of these? Do they stick on your hard drive or are they WITH your account/ea account connection?

Please could you state the above answers and also answer as much as you can towards the question 'If I recover my gamertag on a fresh hard drive and start fresh on the saves etc, what would come with my gamertag?'

Any answers are welcome and I thank you very much in advance.

You will keep you Call of Duty levels my friend as they are done on a leaderboard and you cannot lose levels :)

Braiiins
07-09-2010, 04:08 AM
I may be mistaken, but doesn't the "slim" console come with a data transfer cable for you to transfer everything from your old HD to your new one?

Just checked it out and found this article:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39645/Xbox-360-S-includes-data-transfer-kit

irPhoenix
07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I may be mistaken, but doesn't the "slim" console come with a data transfer cable for you to transfer everything from your old HD to your new one?

Just checked it out and found this article:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39645/Xbox-360-S-includes-data-transfer-kit

Nope you have to buy them at a 14.99 price tag.

Barad
07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Buying a data transfer cable will solve all your problems ;) comes out same day as the Slim anyway, buy it with the Slim in GAME and you'll save 2 whole 's!!! thats a save!! :P

irPhoenix
07-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Buying a data transfer cable will solve all your problems ;) comes out same day as the Slim anyway, buy it with the Slim in GAME and you'll save 2 whole 's!!! thats a save!! :P

Well seen as I'm getting it from GAME I guess its not all that bad. Better than nothing anyway, I may aswell transfer everything then lol.

irPhoenix
07-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Just throwing this out there while we're on subject, I'f I do a direct Data transfer with the kit, will I have to change licenses for my DLC still?

Sidereal
07-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes. Licenses are tied to the console and the HDD. When you transfer, you only transfer the data itself, not the licenses.

I believe you can still use the DLC as long as you're connected to XBL, without transferring, but don't quote me on that.

irPhoenix
07-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Yes. Licenses are tied to the console and the HDD. When you transfer, you only transfer the data itself, not the licenses.

I believe you can still use the DLC as long as you're connected to XBL, without transferring, but don't quote me on that.

I thought they were tied to consoles? So I'f I transfer from my Elite to Slim HDD I have to transfer the licences too?

Sidereal
07-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I thought they were tied to consoles? So I'f I transfer from my Elite to Slim HDD I have to transfer the licences too?

All DLC has, in essense, two licenses. One is connected directly to your Gamertag. This tells the Xbox Live servers that you have purchased this and that you are allowed to access it.

The other is tied to your console, and tells the game itself that you have purchased it and can access it without being online.

If you don't transfer your licenses, you can play all the Arcade games and other DLC you want while connected to Xbox Live, regardless of whose console you're using.

But if you were to disconnect from Live, any games that don't have licenses on the console will revert to trials. I'm not entirely sure of how games handle DLC when not connected to Live and no console license is present, but I assume there's a similar effect for it as well.

PointPlaceWI
07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
All DLC has, in essense, two licenses. One is connected directly to your Gamertag. This tells the Xbox Live servers that you have purchased this and that you are allowed to access it.

The other is tied to your console, and tells the game itself that you have purchased it and can access it without being online.

If you don't transfer your licenses, you can play all the Arcade games and other DLC you want while connected to Xbox Live, regardless of whose console you're using.

But if you were to disconnect from Live, any games that don't have licenses on the console will revert to trials. I'm not entirely sure of how games handle DLC when not connected to Live and no console license is present, but I assume there's a similar effect for it as well.

When I tried to play Mass Effect using a different HDD but the same gamertag it wouldn't allow me to start a game without being connected to Live because of BDTS and Pinnicle Station DLCs, but once I started the game I could yank the ethernet and it wouldn't knock me out of my game and I could play the DLCs themself just fine.

I don't know how it works in all scenarios, but that is how it worked for me and Mass Effect.

Sidereal
07-10-2010, 10:45 PM
When I tried to play Mass Effect using a different HDD but the same gamertag it wouldn't allow me to start a game without being connected to Live because of BDTS and Pinnicle Station DLCs, but once I started the game I could yank the ethernet and it wouldn't knock me out of my game and I could play the DLCs themself just fine.

I don't know how it works in all scenarios, but that is how it worked for me and Mass Effect.

Ah. I've never really had to worry about licenses, so I'm not too knowledgeable about how DLC works without one.

I'm pretty sure, however, that it only needs to check that you have purchased it. That's why you can disconnect after starting the game, because it's already validated your license.

MAMS
07-11-2010, 06:55 AM
@ the people who say they can use usb drive, can you really use a usb drive to transfer saves to a new xbox?

Yeloazndevil
07-11-2010, 07:10 AM
@ the people who say they can use usb drive, can you really use a usb drive to transfer saves to a new xbox?
yes you can, I did it before I got my slim

_DoTTeR_
07-11-2010, 08:56 AM
My friend just got a new slim.

YouTube- xbox 360s breaks in 1 hour

Check that luck out, luckily he kept his elite 360 and will have a new slim shortly.