PDA

View Full Version : Kinect...?

Zunikex
07-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I've had very limited computer and television access due to personal reasons.
I see a lot of discussion regarding Kinect. The only information I've received is that it's some sort of new... control?
If someone could give me an explanation, that'd be great. :)

Starstrukk X360A
07-08-2010, 09:35 PM
It's supposed to be an add-on for the 360 which supports a bunch of new games; it's motion control but with your entire body. Think of it as an EyeToy on the PS2.

Sidereal
07-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Incoming Kinect hate in 5.. 4... 3... 2...

Chaosx721
07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Incoming Kinect hate in 5.. 4... 3... 2...
1... Kinect sucks!

WarDawg65
07-08-2010, 11:24 PM
It has the potential to be good but the games have to be good first. Everything I have seen, its just a bunch of casual games.

The Lopper93
07-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Kinect is a good idea for things like navigating the dashboard and stuff like that but the problem is the when people start playing games with it they look like complete idiots!

DarkCreations
07-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Kinect is a good idea for things like navigating the dashboard and stuff like that but the problem is the when people start playing games with it they look like complete idiots!

This.

I'm liking the control of the dashboard, but you will look like a ridiculous monkey jumping around, waving around, basically looking like you're going loopy, in front of the TV screen.

I, for one, will probably be one of these ridiculous monkeys.

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Who cares if you look ridiculous? It's a game, games are meant to be fun.

I'll also be getting Kinect on launch, and I don't really give a fuck how I look while playing it because more often than not, I'll be the only one in the room anyway.

DarkCreations
07-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Who cares if you look ridiculous? It's a game, games are meant to be fun.

I'll also be getting Kinect on launch, and I don't really give a fuck how I look while playing it because more often than not, I'll be the only one in the room anyway.

I didn't say i cared, or say it was a bad thing. I was merely pointing out that i will, most likely, look like i'm meant to be in a loopy house :)

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 09:32 PM
That's why I didn't quote you. I wasn't talking about you specifically.

DarkCreations
07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
That's why I didn't quote you. I wasn't talking about you specifically.

Ahh fair enough, I mistook your post but yea i can see some people only caring about how they look on Kinect, even if they are alone.

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 10:01 PM
So can I, and if you ask me, those people are very, very sad individuals.

Starstrukk X360A
07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Honestly, it's only fun if you don't care that you look like an idiot.

I don't care if I look stupid.
I'm having fun. That's what matters.

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 10:23 PM

You are becoming one of my favourite users. Once again, I completely agree with you. :P

darkarchon433
07-09-2010, 11:58 PM

Very true.

On another note about the games, it seems that Microsoft and Sony have realized that after Zynga and Nintendo opened the door for casual gamers, it seems they want a bit of the profit being generated. It is a huge PR stunt by the both with a hint of money grubbing woven in. The games are going to be an attempt to make video games look harmless and not all about the blood and gore. Give it some time and some tweaking, I am hoping for some good solid releases on the Kinect.

And I miss Milo :( j/k, I really want the painting game they debuted when it was known as Project Natal.

YouTube- Xbox Project Natal Painting Demo

Tiddy08
07-10-2010, 10:36 AM
the main pull of kinect for me is the dashboard control and stuff, maybe a few games if there good, but none of the casual crap.

Mariner Mike 75
07-10-2010, 10:55 AM
As a Xbox 360 fanboy I can now get games for my kids who have been wanting me to purchase a Wii. Now I don't have to have two consoles. I can have casual family fun games with my family and friends with the kinect using my body. Then when I want to play some Call of Duty or Gears, I can pick up my controller and continue to have the best gaming experence known to men.

Kinect is for Microsoft to compete in the motion control market place so that Nintendo doesn't kick them in the teeth month after month in the NPR numbers.

OhStressyJessy
07-10-2010, 05:00 PM

This sounds really sad. I'll come play Kinect with you! :)

Regarding what Kinect is: http://www.xbox.com/en-us/kinect
As people have stated, it's a new motion control periph. for the Xbox 360 and Slim. It will feature game genres such as sports, dancing, and racing (to begin with) and all of these will have full motion control support, using your body as the controller.

Also, KINECTIMALS. God, it looks so fucking cute. ;)

Expyrious
07-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I, personally, find it an EPIC FAIL.

I'll be sticking with the controllers.

Sidereal
07-10-2010, 06:19 PM
This sounds really sad. I'll come play Kinect with you! :)

Haha. I guess it is sort of sad. I don't really have any gamer friends who live nearby, so most of my time gaming is spent alone. :(

Chaosx721
07-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Haha. I guess it is sort of sad. I don't really have any gamer friends who live nearby, so most of my time gaming is spent alone. :(
I know how you feel :(. Some of my friends use to play games, then slowly just Halo and CoD, now nothing. That's why I hate co-op achievements, I have no one to do them with lol.

Sidereal
07-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I know how you feel :(. Some of my friends use to play games, then slowly just Halo and CoD, now nothing. That's why I hate co-op achievements, I have no one to do them with lol.

Yeah, same here, except most of my friends just don't game at all. The few I do live out of town, and even then we usually stick to single player games as it seems the only multiplayer games we can ever find are Shooters and neither of us care for Shooters all that much.

regulardrake
07-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I'll be sticking with the controllers.

Yeah I agree, I will be sticking to the controllers also. I seen PS2 Eyetoy come and go and something tells me this might do the same. But hey you never know and it might actually take off. I still wont be spending the money on it. Maybe I am too old fashion when it comes to gaming. lol :)

Fullbrook
07-10-2010, 11:41 PM

Same.

I had a wii, and played that with the ex. You will look like more of an idiot with this, but really who cares.

Mind you, now I only play video games alone, RARELY (guy from work), play with anyone else, as I have no friends :)
so it matters even less.
That and I drink, so looking like an idiot comes natural anyways..

I'm not to interested in Kinect right now, but looking like an idiot isn't one of my reasons.

Antwan xD
07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I believe kinect will crash due to all the dislikes :/.

Fryth
07-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Kinect is a family game..atleast thats what it looks like. Its a family game like Family Game Night. Its about 100 dollars which is pretty expensive for a family game. I think it would be great if they added shooters xD. But thats just my opinion. Then again they showed an epic game at e3. the starwars game xD. So i might get it. With the new kinect ready xbawks.

RazerindemiX
07-18-2010, 04:00 PM
kinect wont be for me i work to hard all day to be able to hop,skip&jump all nite just in the name of fun

dashboard yea maybe as long as i dont have to get up or move much except my arms of course
it will be what 3d games with glasses will also be.. fun to start with

Kramericus
07-18-2010, 04:14 PM
I have no interest in kinect, but it concerns me because I worry about microsoft trying to force it on us if it isnt going as well as they would like. I basically fear a Wii like situation where eventually they start forcing you to use motion control in core games.

Taboner
07-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Just tried it at Macy's yesterday. Very fun.

Fezmo
07-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I really like the voice control idea. Don't have to turn on the controller.

Mitsurugi1981
07-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I have no interest in kinect, but it concerns me because I worry about microsoft trying to force it on us if it isnt going as well as they would like. I basically fear a Wii like situation where eventually they start forcing you to use motion control in core games.

Exactly what i think :(
As said by someone else, i work hard all day, so i don't wanna jump around at home, just to play a GAME.
Besides, i am a couch potato. I just wanna sit back and enjoy playin somethin. I had a Wii and couldnt get used to it (only game i finished was Metroid Prime 3, but thats another story...), so i sold it a few month later.

I HOPE, Microsoft doesn't force us into Kinect.

Infection Ftw
07-18-2010, 08:15 PM
This.

I'm liking the control of the dashboard, but you will look like a ridiculous monkey jumping around, waving around, basically looking like you're going loopy, in front of the TV screen.

I, for one, will probably be one of these ridiculous monkeys.

Try to get drunk first then play with Kinect:)

SrLoganBR
07-19-2010, 12:47 AM
is it true they're working on a lag issue?

Andy Shandy
07-19-2010, 01:08 AM
I think Kinect will be a good laugh with mates and the voice control thing will be quite good :D

Sidereal
07-19-2010, 01:37 AM
I HOPE, Microsoft doesn't force us into Kinect.

Seeing as how they can't force you to buy anything or play any of the games, I don't foresee that being a problem.

Kramericus
07-19-2010, 02:31 AM
Seeing as how they can't force you to buy anything or play any of the games, I don't foresee that being a problem. Come on, its an expression. You are sort of bypassing the main point here by focusing on a line that isnt 100% literal.

Sidereal
07-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Come on, its an expression. You are sort of bypassing the main point here by focusing on a line that isnt 100% literal.

Then please, enlighten me as to how Microsoft would force Kinect on anyone. Figuratively speaking, of course.

ElleOCS2007
07-19-2010, 02:53 AM
There are demo's of Kinect going on at Macy's across the country over the next few weeks. Has anyone seen one? Thoughts?

Kramericus
07-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Then please, enlighten me as to how Microsoft would force Kinect on anyone. Figuratively speaking, of course. If they put it in every single game like Nintendo tends to now and its not optional like many Nintendo games then in order to continue playing the core franchises many of us love we would have to use kinect at that point. So in order to play the games we like in that situation, we would be "forced" to use kinect. yea its not a literal I have no choice but to play kinect, but having to bail out on the xbox isnt much of an option IMO

Sidereal
07-19-2010, 03:25 AM
If they put it in every single game like Nintendo tends to now and its not optional like many Nintendo games then in order to continue playing the core franchises many of us love we would have to use kinect at that point. So in order to play the games we like in that situation, we would be "forced" to use kinect. yea its not a literal I have no choice but to play kinect, but having to bail out on the xbox isnt much of an option IMO

It's too bad they already said they aren't planning on ever doing that. Kinect is NOT a replacement for controllers, and is NOT intended to be. It's an addition, no more forced than the Vision Camera was.

For fuck's sake, even the Wii doesn't force motion on you. There are still PLENTY of games for the Wii that don't use the motion controls.

Kramericus
07-19-2010, 03:31 AM
It's too bad they already said they aren't planning on ever doing that. Kinect is NOT a replacement for controllers, and is NOT intended to be. It's an addition, no more forced than the Vision Camera was.

For fuck's sake, even the Wii doesn't force motion on you. There are still PLENTY of games for the Wii that don't use the motion controls. there are plenty of core titles that do force you to use it, and the number seems to be growing all the time over there.

Also, it's too bad that big companies arent exactly the most trust worthy entities on the planet. Im not saying its a likely outcome or anything and I am not losing sleep over it, but the fact that microsoft says "oh we wont do that" isnt exactly going to eliminate all my worries.

Mitsurugi1981
07-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Seeing as how they can't force you to buy anything or play any of the games, I don't foresee that being a problem.

There i'll have to agree with you. I just meant, that if they do EVERY game with Kinect, then it's more or less forced upon u.
And if that's the case, then i just need another hobby :(