PDA

View Full Version : Gamestop Requires Fingerprints

Rebel River
07-09-2010, 08:47 PM
I was at gamestop trading in my ps3 and games, and after you trade it in they generally ask you for your l.D, well today they also asked me for my finger print, they had a little box at the top of the page labeled "Thumb Print". I just traded in something yesterday and i didnt have to do that, so i asked the cashier, he said they just started it today... has anybody had this experience yet? I really want to know why gamestop wants our fingerprints.

theOgrius
07-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I would have cancelled and walked out. I am not giving my fingerprints out to a damn retail store.

JAW LV
07-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I would have cancelled and walked out. I am not giving my fingerprints out to a damn retail store.

Damn straight, something's not right there. You don't even do this when applying for a major credit card or store cards like RC Willey or buying cars so why the hell would gamestop ask for it?? :confused:

TitansWar
07-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Yeah, you're right, Gamestop want to steal your identity.

Snoopy2gos
07-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah, you're right, Gamestop want to steal your identity.
Well they obviously don't want to, but it seems strange doesn't it? I'm pretty sure felons are allowed to buy video games...

Could it be a sex offender thing?? (Like with kids games and Live and what not)

Genesis x360a
07-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Its incase you traded in a dodgey console and gave a dodgey name with fake ID or something. Cant fake your prints lol Seems a little extreme though.

TitansWar
07-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Well they obviously don't want to, but it seems strange doesn't it? I'm pretty sure felons are allowed to buy video games...

Could it be a sex offender thing?? (Like with kids games and Live and what not)

No, it is to used to eliminate fraud.

It's insane that any of you hippies care if companies/government have your fingerprints.

TitansWar
07-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Cant fake your prints lol Seems a little extreme though.

Companies protecting customers by introducing anti-fraudulant measures is 'extreme'?

Genesis x360a
07-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Companies protecting customers by introducing anti-fraudulant measures is 'extreme'?

Yes it is when all they would have to do is plug the console in and turn it on. I can walk into a handfull of banks tomorrow with some fake ID and get 1000's of /$ in credit/debit cards and i wouldnt have to give my fingerprints. This is game trading shop where talking about here.

TitansWar
07-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes it is when all they would have to do is plug the console in and turn it on. I can walk into a handfull of banks tomorrow with some fake ID and get 1000's of /$ in credit/debit cards and i wouldnt have to give my fingerprints. This is game trading shop where talking about here.

You think you could get a loan from a bank easily? You need to fill out pages and pages of documents. You also need proof of address, passport/drivers liscence, which are next to impossible to properly fake under the right scrutiny, and an existing bank account with that bank.

I'll put it to you in a simpler way. If it was a waste of time, Gamestop, or any company, wouldn't the spend money implementing a new system. Companies don't do things for 'funsies', I'm afraid.

Chaosx721
07-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I would of left too, or asked for a manager to explain why they needed your finger prints. Even after that I still would of left. Also its no hard to find out if the xbox has been tampered with or is red ring, and if its just games you're trading in then that's taking it way too far.

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 09:30 PM
They can have my fingerprint, I don't really give a fuck.

This reminds me of the uproar people are throwing over Blizzard's decision to make players show their real names on the forums instead of character names. Everyone's going "onoez their gonna steel my ID!!!!!"

This is not a big deal.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Traded my console in a week ago no fingerprints, so i guess it did start recently (didnt ask for id either though)

anyways I wouldnt care....Im not selling stolen consoles which is why they do it

this is just another one of those things people who hate gamestop will put on their toolbelt

I just wish they would get their asses in gear and stock up on new 360s....

Eksy
07-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I can't imagine Gamestop doing this without some other reason behind it.
I don't know what area you live in, but it could be that a new law went into effect stating thumbprints are required. [Many states hold Gamestop trade-ins to the same laws pawn shops are.]

This hasn't happened in my area - yet anyway.

If it did, I can't say I would be bothered by it. ./shrug
Perhaps I'm not paranoid enough.

Snoopy2gos
07-09-2010, 09:38 PM
They can have my fingerprint, I don't really give a fuck.

This reminds me of the uproar people are throwing over Blizzard's decision to make players show their real names on the forums instead of character names. Everyone's going "onoez their gonna steel my ID!!!!!"

This is not a big deal.

I think the people of WoW are more concerned about 4chan showing up at their house.(at least I would be :D )

I actually wouldn't mind the fingerprinting actually, just curious as to the reasoning.

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Just a thought.. OP, whereabouts do you live? I'm curious if you live in an area like New York where there's a higher crime rate that might be the reason for them asking for your fingerprint.

Our Gamestop doesn't ask for fingerprints at all, and this is the first I've heard of any ever doing so. Just wondering if it's a local thing, or if the rest of the world just hasn't caught up to yours yet.

Genesis x360a
07-09-2010, 09:40 PM
You think you could get a loan from a bank easily? You need to fill out pages and pages of documents. You also need proof of address, passport/drivers liscence, which are next to impossible to properly fake under the right scrutiny, and an existing bank account with that bank.

I'll put it to you in a simpler way. If it was a waste of time, Gamestop, or any company, wouldn't the spend money implementing a new system. Companies don't do things for 'funsies', I'm afraid.

When did i say i could get a loan? I said i could get credit and debit cards. You can get a mastercard online with a 500 credit limit and all you need is an adress. Also i didnt say it was a waste of time i said its a little extreme when all they need to do is connect the Console Etc. and see if it works.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-09-2010, 09:44 PM
When did i say i could get a loan? I said i could get credit and debit cards. You can get a mastercard online with a 500 credit limit and all you need is an adress. Also i didnt say it was a waste of time i said its a little extreme when all they need to do is connect the Console Etc. and see if it works.
you cant tell if a console is stolen by turning it on

TitansWar
07-09-2010, 09:48 PM

If you want an overdraft from an English bank you need to already be with that bank. To get a bank account with an English bank you need proof of address.

Banks find proof of address is more useful than a fingerprint, as proof of address = debt collectors at your door, if needs be.

WeemanNewYork
07-09-2010, 09:49 PM
This what my friend say:

Ok I'll make this as brief as possible, the 3 Gamestops in the Flint area (and Burton,Michigan) are now REQUIRING your right thumb fingerprint, and your driver's license to enter you into the Michigan criminal system when trading in items. Now i have nothing to worry about i am not a criminal but this is just utter bullshit. I had 3 people behind me in line while I traded my 3 games in, I asked the retail associate how long this process was going to take she said about 40 minutes.. I was like your kidding right (no she wasn't). Anyways the whole reason behind this is because of the reduction of the Police force in the Flint area, and she said people bring in more stolen/hot gaming items then jewerly etc; So this is NOW required by them via the Police Department. I asked her when i left if she had anyone REFUSE this process and she was like several people have. If they continue this procedure I believe i will RENT my games from my local blockbuster. I then kindly asked her if she got a pay raise since she had to do EXTRA work, she frowned and said no--I said i would have quit..Typical employers add more work to your job, cost of living keeps going up, but your hourly rate doesn't..This ends my rant.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
This what my friend say:

Ok I'll make this as brief as possible, the 3 Gamestops in the Flint area (and Burton,Michigan) are now REQUIRING your right thumb fingerprint, and your driver's license to enter you into the Michigan criminal system when trading in items. Now i have nothing to worry about i am not a criminal but this is just utter bullshit. I had 3 people behind me in line while I traded my 3 games in, I asked the retail associate how long this process was going to take she said about 40 minutes.. I was like your kidding right (no she wasn't). Anyways the whole reason behind this is because of the reduction of the Police force in the Flint area, and she said people bring in more stolen/hot gaming items then jewerly etc; So this is NOW required by them via the Police Department. I asked her when i left if she had anyone REFUSE this process and she was like several people have. If they continue this procedure I believe i will RENT my games from my local blockbuster. I then kindly asked her if she got a pay raise since she had to do EXTRA work, she frowned and said no--I said i would have quit..Typical employers add more work to your job, cost of living keeps going up, but your hourly rate doesn't..This ends my rant.

these are the people Im talking about...getting mad over nothing...they gave you an explanation for why its happening, a legitamate reason in fact

and shes not really doing extra work, she still works the same hours and its not all that hard to take a fingerprint...If your the kind of person who would quit because of that I dont know how you get hired

hysterics over something so trivial

TitansWar
07-09-2010, 09:58 PM
these are the people Im talking about...getting mad over nothing...they gave you an explanation for why its happening, a legitamate reason in fact

and shes not really doing extra work, she still works the same hours and its not all that hard to take a fingerprint...If your the kind of person who would quit because of that I dont know how you get hired

I like a lot of what you say.

Genesis x360a
07-09-2010, 09:58 PM
you cant tell if a console is stolen by turning it on

Stollen property didnt even enter my mind when reading this. I took it as they where trying to cut back on trading in banned consoles Etc. Like i said i see the piont but still think its a little extreme but if its helps to achieve what there going for then im all for it. They need something like this in the UK peoples shit gets stolen all the time.

StolenPaper18
07-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I do agree that the 40 minute wait period is kind of a bummer though.

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 09:59 PM
So there's a rise in stolen merchandise that's being sold to Gamestop, and the police force can't keep up with it in comparison to higher crimes and other duties. Because of this, they require the Gamestop to require fingerprints so that if something should come up as stolen, they can identify the person who brought it in (which is more often than not the person who stole it to begin with), and either get the stolen merchandise back or seek restitution from the culprit.

Where exactly is the bad thing in all of this? If you're not a criminal, then what the hell does it matter?

I've had several games of mine stolen from me and returned to Gamestop for in-store credit. I wish ours required fingerprints.

StephenJ360
07-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Dude, it's the law for cash trades. The PAWN law. You pawned something, being, legally sold it to a company. They're required by LAW to take your fingerprint, along with ID info.

TitansWar
07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
This entire topic brings up the ID cards we were supposed to have in England, until a bunch of worthless hippies cried about 'big brother' knowing too much about their lives. 'Big Brother' doesn't give a flying fuck about you until you break its law.

Remember; if you obey the law, the Government will leave you alone.

DopeySO
07-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Just traded in something at my local Gamestop and no fingerprint was needed. So im guessing this only effects some states or certain areas.

Also for the people talking about WoW putting you real name on their forums, Blizzard just canceled that today because so many people complained about it.

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Remember; if you obey the law, the Government will leave you alone.

Gosh, you're smart!

No, seriously. People, this is not a big deal. (Didn't I say that already?) TitansWar is right. If you're not breaking the law, then you will have nothing to worry about.

Sidenote, TitansWar: What are these ID cards you speak of? Just curious, lol

Edit:
Also for the people talking about WoW putting you real name on their forums, Blizzard just canceled that today because so many people complained about it.
Can't say I'm surprised. Too many paranoid pussies to realise the benefits of such things like requiring your name to be shown on a forum, or using a thumbprint to track you down if you hock stolen goods to a store.

Capn Doug
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Remember a while back that there was a guy (now banned) who posted some of the things he and his buddies did when they worked at a used game store. He bitched about the job and said that they would do things like accept a broken 360 as trade in just to screw with the company. That was what I thought this was to prevent at first, employees intentionally screwing up. If the console is broken, they can track who traded it in and which employee took it.

Criminal record check didn't even enter into my thought process about this. I wouldn't consent to being fingerprinted (since that is unjustified), but things like having to give your social insurance number, adress and all sorts of things that match up, that would be fine.

Ackis
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't think I would do it. Rather not have info like that protected by young kids who make minimum wage. Besides, I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to require that here

Starstrukk X360A
07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
At first I thought to get employed (which is reasonable)
But to trade in a bloody game? Really?

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I think it's very justified. They don't want stolen goods, and the cops want to be able to find the thieves who are stealing them.

Seems perfectly justified to me.

I'd be far more willing to give my thumbprint than I would my Social Security Number.

Snoopy2gos
07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I think it's very justified. They don't want stolen goods, and the cops want to be able to find the thieves who are stealing them.

Seems perfectly justified to me.

I'd be far more willing to give my thumbprint than I would my Social Security Number.

Same, I don't lie about who I am. I use a credit card, they have my name away.

If it means someone who steals things gets caught, bring it on. But 40 minutes?? Wow that is bad

TitansWar
07-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Sidenote, TitansWar: What are these ID cards you speak of? Just curious, lol

The British Goverment wanted to introduce compulsory ID cards for every citizen. Having compulsory ID cards meant that everyone would be on 'the system'. In theory, this meant collecting DNA and fingerprint evidence, at crime scenes etc, would be really useful as, at the moment, only people with criminal records have fingerprints or DNA in 'the system'.

I was massively for it. Bitches weren't.

Gamersdg
07-09-2010, 10:28 PM
You guys should watch some of the real forensics show, they could get your finger print off the disc, if they really wanted it.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-09-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't think I would do it. Rather not have info like that protected by young kids who make minimum wage. Besides, I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to require that here

do you pay with credit cards?...if so youre letting minimum wage kids see that info which I would think is more likely to be useful if stolen than your fingerprint which could be used for what?......planting evidence in a murder?

justoneuncle
07-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Some states require this by law (perhaps it could also be a local law). It has to do with laws regarding pawn shops like StephenJ said previously.

TitansWar
07-09-2010, 10:34 PM
You guys should watch some of the real forensics show, they could get your finger print off the disc, if they really wanted it.

And the other 10s of other people that touched it. How reliable.

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
The British Goverment wanted to introduce compulsory ID cards for every citizen. Having compulsory ID cards meant that everyone would be on 'the system'. In theory, this meant collecting DNA and fingerprint evidence, at crime scenes etc, would be really useful as, at the moment, only people with criminal records have fingerprints or DNA in 'the system'.

Fuck, I'd be all for that too. I get the whole "my personal info should be personal", but seriously. Who doesn't put their personal info on the internet these days? You can google just about anyone and find something about them.

If it means helping track down criminals and possibly prevent future crimes, I don't see the problem.

Minutes to Midnight
07-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I think that as long as it doesn't do any harm to the costumers (using their finger prints for frauds or the sorts, even though I don't think that's possible) then they should continue doing it. Might as well stop the stolen consoles and games from being sold.

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 10:46 PM
You can't do anything with someone's fingerprint. (I don't mean cops and such, obviously they can, I mean the regular people who don't have access to such things)

There's nothing bad about this, at all. Big deal, they want your fingerprint. The DMV wants it too. Several banks require them. FFS, my computer requires a fingerprint just to log into it.

Once again, this is not a big deal.

xtye
07-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Tell them no. They have no right at all to take your prints.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Tell them no. They have no right at all to take your prints.

If its the law there, then yes they do

ITD Soldierboy
07-09-2010, 10:59 PM

Um no. You can't just enter an address and get a credit card. Debit cards are different because you must have money in the first place to open and account, but they still do several background checks. Credit Cards are no different. They look at everything nowadays, at least here in the United States. I don't know how they do it in England(because its your location) but it's not like that in the States. It's easy to obtain a $500 limit card, but not that simple. I'm not attacking you, just stating my experience.

I'm not that surprised about the fingerprinting, especially in Michigan. A little odd, but not surprising.

Mongolian Beef
07-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Amazon.com doesn't ask for your fingerprints for trade-ins ;)

Yeah, sounds like just another reason to add on the long list of why Lamestop sucks.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Amazon.com doesn't ask for your fingerprints for trade-ins ;)

Yeah, sounds like just another reason to add on the long list of why Lamestop sucks.

I can always tell when someone is immature....they use stupid nicknames like M$ or Lamestop

this is why I dont understand the hate of gamestop, it always comes from those kind of people

Rodrigo669
07-09-2010, 11:17 PM
wow thats dumb

Sidereal
07-09-2010, 11:22 PM
If you want to hate GameStop, do it for the shitty prices they give you for trade-ins, or the ridiculous "$5 off" for a used game.

Don't hate them because they're trying to prevent stolen goods from being sold to them (and in turn, to you). Don't hate them because they don't have a choice in the matter because it's a law being forced upon them.

And most of all, don't hate them for doing something that has absolutely no negative effect on you to begin with. Unless you're a criminal, in which case your argument has already become null and void.

_DoTTeR_
07-09-2010, 11:52 PM

Maybe in England, however i know for fact in America you need much more. I had to have my father co sign on a credit line for me before I could get student loans because I had no prior credit history.

On topic: I could care less, my prints have been in the system since I started my internship. If anything I'm happy for it considering I picked up a used GoW2 during 8x xp to finish my 100, and had to go back to the store because the launch title maps wouldn't work.

Fishman
07-09-2010, 11:52 PM
I have been going to GS for many years, they used to do this for a while, but stopped. They must be starting it up again, no big deal. They do it in case they find out you traded in stolen merchandise or they use it to help see if you stolen any merchandise. It is just like a pawn shop, essentially GS is a pawn shop with the buying and selling of used items, nothing new and nothing to worry about it's just the law.....

I think the reason they stopped before was because they did it once and kept your info so you didn't need to do it again, just show ID and sign pretty much.

_DaNnY_
07-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Fuck that shit.

Sidereal
07-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Fuck that shit.

Well now, that's just gross.

_DaNnY_
07-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Well now, that's just gross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IELTS

Sidereal
07-10-2010, 12:52 AM

Your point being?

Billy69
07-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Wow thats really weird has anyone confirm that they did this to your local Gamestop as well?

Fishman
07-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Wow thats really weird has anyone confirm that they did this to your local Gamestop as well?

As stated in the thread, yes. It ISN'T weird, it is the law in most places.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=3287155&postcount=51

Thehefferkiller
07-10-2010, 02:39 AM
No game retail store should care about fraud more than Credit Card company's....

Fishman
07-10-2010, 03:05 AM
No game retail store should care about fraud more than Credit Card company's....

Once again, it isn't about fraud. It's like a pawn shop taking you fingerprint, holding an item for 30 days) and checking it against the NCIC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCIC) (National Crime Information Center). GameStop also holds items, and if somebody reports it stolen they have your info (fingerprint, etc.). So, once again; GameStop HAS the right to take your fingerprint if you are in a location where the law applies, NO they are not going to steal you identity, if you don't like it I suggest you petition the Government and start selling your games on Craigslist or something....... let me know how that works out.

I think what most of you don't seem to understand that GameStop might not look like a pawn shop, but they buy and sell used merchandise which makes them fall under the same category and the same laws.

Edit: I would also like to add; I'm not trying to be a dick, it might seem like that but I'm just trying to let people know the truth and that it is normal with nothing to worry about.

:):drunk:)

Burning Karma
07-10-2010, 03:07 AM
Fingerprints to trade games in? Eh. Doesn't bother me too much. I don't trade games in that often. I doubt it gets here anytime soon anyway.

dakisbac
07-10-2010, 03:14 AM
Let me put it this way: any company that starts requiring my fingerprint for access to their good/service is a company I will never ever do business with again.

A few of you have made it quite clear that you're okay with this but I cannot for the life of me understand why. I'm perfectly clear on why they're asking... the local law now requires it, but we as citizens have a right to privacy and a right to decline which we should be taking advantage of. "To prevent theft or sale of stolen goods" is nowhere close to a good enough reason for a FINGERPRINT. In case any of you didn't know, a fingerprint is THE most private part of a person's identity (even moreso than DNA) because all fingerprints are 100% unique. Am I going to add my identity to a police database for a VIDEO GAME? Fuck no.

I'm sure I'm going to cause a lot of issue/disagreement with the following but... what if sometime in the future I commit a crime? I'm not a criminal now and don't intend to be, but who knows. Shit happens. Should I make the cops' job easier by allowing them to have access to my fingerprint 20 years in advance? If I do end up committing some major crime you're safe to assume that I won't want to get caught so why should I give them the edge?

That's of course the most extreme case. Some people (myself included) prefer to be somewhat anonymous. The government is aware of my person (I have a valid SIN, driver's license, health card, etc) but why should the local police department be as well? Chances are they'll never have to deal with me, so why waste space with my information.

Thehefferkiller
07-10-2010, 03:16 AM
Once again, it isn't about fraud. It's like a pawn shop taking you fingerprint, holding an item for 30 days) and checking it against the NCIC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCIC) (National Crime Information Center). GameStop also holds items, and if somebody reports it stolen they have your info (fingerprint, etc.). So, once again; GameStop HAS the right to take your fingerprint if you are in a location where the law applies, NO they are not going to steal you identity, if you don't like it I suggest you petition the Government and start selling your games on Craigslist or something....... let me know how that works out.

I think what most of you don't seem to understand that GameStop might not look like a pawn shop, but they buy and sell used merchandise which makes them fall under the same category and the same laws.

Edit: I would also like to add; I'm not trying to be a dick, it might seem like that but I'm just trying to let people know the truth and that it is normal with nothing to worry about.

:):drunk:)
thank you. was unaware of this. only skimmed through posts and it seemed this was pretty fraud related, so that's the first thing that came to mind. thank you for clearing it up.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Let me put it this way: any company that starts requiring my fingerprint for access to their good/service is a company I will never ever do business with again.

A few of you have made it quite clear that you're okay with this but I cannot for the life of me understand why. I'm perfectly clear on why they're asking... the local law now requires it, but we as citizens have a right to privacy and a right to decline which we should be taking advantage of. "To prevent theft or sale of stolen goods" is nowhere close to a good enough reason for a FINGERPRINT. In case any of you didn't know, a fingerprint is THE most private part of a person's identity (even moreso than DNA) because all fingerprints are 100% unique. Am I going to add my identity to a police database for a VIDEO GAME? Fuck no.

I'm sure I'm going to cause a lot of issue/disagreement with the following but... what if sometime in the future I commit a crime? I'm not a criminal now and don't intend to be, but who knows. Shit happens. Should I make the cops' job easier by allowing them to have access to my fingerprint 20 years in advance? If I do end up committing some major crime you're safe to assume that I won't want to get caught so why should I give them the edge?

That's of course the most extreme case. Some people (myself included) prefer to be somewhat anonymous. The government is aware of my person (I have a valid SIN, driver's license, health card, etc) but why should the local police department be as well? Chances are they'll never have to deal with me, so why waste space with my information.

best reason not to give a fingerprint....cause ill become a criminal in the future and dont want to gie the cops the edge....lol

and privacy is a lie, why fight that fact

Minutes to Midnight
07-10-2010, 03:46 AM
best reason not to give a fingerprint....cause ill become a criminal in the future and dont want to gie the cops the edge....lol

and privacy is a lie, why fight that fact

That actually made me laugh.

Fishman
07-10-2010, 03:49 AM
thank you. was unaware of this. only skimmed through posts and it seemed this was pretty fraud related, so that's the first thing that came to mind. thank you for clearing it up.

No problem, sorry if it seems like I was being a dick. I posted the same thing 2 times previous in this thread and got a little frustrated when every other post was "it's weird" or some fraud related accusations and I had to type it all up again.

For those of you saying that you wont give your prints (like dakisbac), that is cool and I respect that. I just didn't want people thinking it's "weird" or not right, as long as you know why they do it, do whatever you choose. Granted I see nothing wrong with it, but like I said, you are entitled to you own opinions and ways. I'm just here to inform.

:)

rvlution
07-10-2010, 03:57 AM
I'd be more concerned about the blue splotch on my thumb that's about to rub all over my controller.

StephenJ360
07-10-2010, 03:58 AM

Exactly. Heaven forbid I decide I want to commit a crime someday and leave fingerprints all over the place, and they can identify me now because I sold my games for cash at my local video game store! OH NOES!

This whole discussion is just entertainingly stupid.

The guy I quoted is the only one in here that's actually said something worthwhile, and it was sarcasm.

Aeope
07-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Nothing is personal anymore. I'm fine with giving DNA and fingerprints to the US Crime Database, seeing as I don't plan on murdering anyone.

FRANKSEY
07-10-2010, 04:17 AM
im in aus, where i trade my games (GAME) they barely check ur i.d, im only 16 i pulled out my license he just looked at it, didn't even check any details, didnt touch it. and if u trade a console they check it on the spot, make sure it reads a disc. if u trade in a game they dont even test them.

now in aus we dont have any gamestop's but they sound like a bunch of tight arses .

Minutes to Midnight
07-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Nothing is personal anymore. I'm fine with giving DNA and fingerprints to the US Crime Database, seeing as I don't plan on murdering anyone.
Or do you?

just kidding.

But yeah, I don't really care about that since my game store doesn't have that stuff, they just ask for an ID if you are going to buy, say, Grand Theft Auto. But if they did implement that then I wouldn't complain since I don't plan on selling stolen consoles/games....or do I? >.>

Fishman
07-10-2010, 04:28 AM
The guy I quoted is the only one in here that's actually said something worthwhile, and it was sarcasm.

The funny thing is you said the same thing as some of those ''worthless'' posts.

For instance: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=3286825&postcount=26

I believe that was said before a few times.

edwi77
07-10-2010, 04:30 AM
nope.lol!!

xSx8x PsYchotic
07-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Its incase you traded in a dodgey console and gave a dodgey name with fake ID or something. Cant fake your prints lol Seems a little extreme though.

Only read the first page of comments,

anways Genesis, you can fake your own fingerprints, it is really easy
the most extreme way to do it would be to file down your skin and get rid of them, video sand blast them or acid

but with todays technology we have many things that you can use to fake your fingerprints either by special gel or other means...

anyways,
on topic..
i have not been to game stop in a few months so i would not know about this, im not giving my fingerprints though >_>
need a really good reason first!

Gamersdg
07-10-2010, 04:54 AM
My Gamestop being doing this for about 5 years now. It's local law to stop the selling of stolen goods. If Gamestop wanted you fingerprint for some evil reason won't you think they make it company policy in all there stores in not the ones that have legal obligations to do it.

DeAtHisLaNd
07-10-2010, 05:09 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Soulsaber/orson-clapping.gif

Minutes to Midnight
07-10-2010, 05:12 AM
My Gamestop being doing this for about 5 years now. It's local law to stop the selling of stolen goods. If Gamestop wanted you fingerprint for some evil reason won't you think they make it company policy in all there stores in not the ones that have legal obligations to do it.

He speaks the truth, it makes no sense that they do something bad if they are going to do it on a few stores. Evilness 101 tells you that worldwide plans > local plans.

R Rated Love
07-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I then kindly asked her if she got a pay raise since she had to do EXTRA work, she frowned and said no--I said i would have quit..Typical employers add more work to your job, cost of living keeps going up, but your hourly rate doesn't..

Your friend is an idiot.

I never sell to GameStop, as I can get much better money elsewhere, but if I did, I couldn't imagine being bothered much by all of this.

VladimirK
07-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Saving space http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Soulsaber/orson-clapping.gif

Bingo.

I don't get all these people repeatedly coming back to the thread to say how it's okay. We get it, you like it. Shut up now, you're just making yourselves look even more stupid by trying to constantly reinforce this point.
They just sound like the sort of morons that are all too happy to bend over for the government and accept anything.

Jesus, one idiot even said that ID cards were good...
Yeah, 64 items of my personal information available in one handy location for the government or even anybody that can access it. Sounds like a fucking genius plan there.

Hell, I don't even use my card when I'm out, I lift cash somewhere completely different then just use that.
I don't trust these slippery bastards as far as I could throw them.

As for the fingerprint thing, I can see why they are doing it, but it's a step too far for me.
I'm not giving out more info than I strictly need to.

TVthePunisher
07-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Hm...a controversial topic that may or may not give me enemies based on my own take on the whole ordeal...(really, to have someone consider me an "enemy" after this is childish...I just have a different point of view than a majority fo you).

Bravo sir, Bravo. I applaud you for saying one of the most sensible things in this thread first above all else.

I like having that "freebie", my prints not on file for that just in case moment that might happen in the future...am I ashamed that I may commit a crime in the future? No, unlike a majority of people I could care less for what you people call "Law" as it permits rapists, child molestors and even murderers to walk free in the daylight due to a "loophole" that their amazing lawyers figure out. Or perhaps the sentence wasn't good enough, maybe there was a bribe...regardless of the fact, "The System" is broke and anything "Vigilante" is a sin...which I fully disagree with (I for one accept Vengeance as the only route if someone killed my wife or either of my two sons).

Of course, if I were to commit a crime it would most likely be premed anyways...black gloves, care of any loose hair, etc....possibly clean the area after I'm done (depending on what I'm doing). But let's get back to this whole "fingerprint business".

I for one would never consent to this bullshit, as it is no more than another step towards "Minority Report" status of having our eyeballs scanned by random machines wherever we go, knowing who we are and what we do...and if we're not on file, we instantly become a potential suspect for activity. A "controlled" but in their eyes, "SAFE" future...of course we're a long ways out from anything science fiction such as that, the level of security that has appeared recently is oustandingly shocking.

Anyone remember Home Alone 1 and 2? Oh let's all race as a family to get to the airplane, we've got our flight tickets and we're good to go! Hell, these people could AFFORD to oversleep because they didn't have to wait abnoxious amounts of time going through the over-the-top security checks they do on you nowadays. This is why I like the 90's, they didn't pull this "I need to know who you are, what you are, if you're dangerous and whether or not I should arrest you" attitude...and it's only bound to get worse (UK wanting "DNA CARDS"?? Lolsauce, that's a laugh).

I agree with everything Dak said, being anonymous kind of used to be a right...but now it seems more like a "privledge" if you can avoid these "Government Scams" to get you in their database. I for one will turn away from this new policy if it's started in our gamestop, yes they can check my license...yes they can have my address...but I will not consent to a fingerprint nor will I deal with a wait period of 40 minutes.

To me, in the end the people that wish to consent to this kind of thing KNOW they don't mind being watched by people...they feel safe under this "protection" and that's fine, become a number in their system and watch your actions carefully...me on the other hand, I enjoy OPTIONS. Again, I don't wish to get enemies out of this...I just wanted to state my peace on how I would never do this kind of thing for a retailer (the only way I'm ever going to be fingerprinted is if I'm arrested, so therefore anything beforehand is my freebie-period).

FINAL NOTE: For those of you wondering, I have not commited any crimes as of yet. The only crimes I would ever commit would be revenge for something happening to my wife or sons, and that's about it. I'm not going to fess up to what else I might do...

TVthePunisher
07-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Bingo.

I don't get all these people repeatedly coming back to the thread to say how it's okay. We get it, you like it. Shut up now, you're just making yourselves look even more stupid by trying to constantly reinforce this point.
They just sound like the sort of morons that are all too happy to bend over for the government and accept anything.

Yeah, 64 items of my personal information available in one handy location for the government or even anybody that can access it. Sounds like a fucking genius plan there.

Hell, I don't even use my card when I'm out, I lift cash somewhere completely different then just use that.

As for the fingerprint thing, I can see why they are doing it, but it's a step too far for me.

I also want to applaud you good sir, as I too resort to cash rather than cards...eventually when physical currency is removed from our daily lilves and we're forced to use cards, then I guess I'll use them...up until then, it's all cash baby.

Capn Doug
07-10-2010, 09:18 AM
After thinking about it, maybe there is an upside to this. Remember that whole thing about Gamestop shaping the market by ordering fewer new games in order to sell more used games for more profit (brought about the $10 plan)? Well, if people are forced to give fingerprints, maybe they will sell fewer games to Gamestop and sell more of them on eBay and Craigslist.

I can see situations where it would be necessary to be fingerprinted, but this just isn't one of them. And for the record, yes I have commited many crimes, I am a politician after all. None of the crimes were related to politics, though... I just like to hang out on grassy knolls.

Actually, now that I think about it, my area has an "undesireables" law that might cover this. No fingerprints, but in order to buy or sell anything at an "undesireable business" (pawn shops, adult stores), you need to give a form of ID for recordkeeping (and they will file away your driver's liscence number), just so that if it is stolen, they can find out who sold it and who bought it and make things right. It just sucks that I have to give my driver's liscence to the old lady behind the desk when I buy porn. Not only does she see me buying some truly messed up stuff, but now she knows my name and where I live? Yet another problem that the internet solved.

TitansWar
07-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Hey dipshit - why shouldn't every company care about fraud equally? It costs every company money and it can be prevented or lessened.

TitansWar
07-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Bingo.

On a serious note, why don't you 'trust these slippery bastards as far as I could throw them.'? Do you have any experiences dealing with the Government, or are just basing your judgment off films and conspiracy theories on wikipedia?

(More often than not, hippy parents are to blame. The hippiness will go on for generations are one father tells his son that the government are evil, and that son goes on to tell his son etc.)

TVthePunisher
07-10-2010, 12:44 PM
(More often than not, hippy parents are to blame. The hippiness will go on for generations are one father tells his son that the government are evil, and that son goes on to tell his son etc.)

I love your use of the term "hippy". I'm neither smoking weed, proclaiming peace and love, participating in marches, wear tacky clothing or have my hair down to my back...and I'm sure none of the other people you consider "hippies" have these traits as well. I guess that's just the way you generalize someone who doesn't support this government...nice, I'm assuming republican? (btw I'm not democrat, both parties have their faults...just republicans are more full of themselves and come off as assholes).

Let's see what you typed here...hm...one father tell his son that the governement is evil and that son goes on to tell his son...etc...etc. You know, you're right...about ideals passing from one parent to the next. Except, it goes on your side as well...Super-Christians tell their children that everyone but their religion are demonic sinners that deserve to burn in hell, they'll pass that on to their kids...grandkids learn it, so on and so forth until some generation breaks away and thinks for itself.

But you're not a super-christian, you're more or less in love with the side supporting everyone be put in a database for filtering and easy access. You teach your children it's wrong to commit a crime, that is good...you're being a great parent and I would never pass onto my own boys that they should commit a crime. You then teach your children that they should blindly support the ideals of a government without knowing its flaws, that they should willingly take the OPTION of allowing themselves to be put into a database so that way they're kept in check if anything suspicious arrises. You know, be a good little robot so we have your seriel number when something goes tits up.

A racist will impose his values on his children, a religious nut will impose their values on their children, a "hippy" will teach their children to hate everything structured (or apparently structured) and love the world and a person who feels secure under a blanket will willingly give out any information if someone asks for it.

There are people who are raised to believe in their own ideals, to view the world and it's problems...then come up with their own observations and whether or not they'll support this thing...or that thing. They wont' blindly listen to their parents, or jump into something because they think it's "justified". If we suddenly started sending all the Arabs in our country to camps like we did the Japanese in WWII, I would not support it because it's still mistreating a human being regardless of who the hell we're fighting in another part of the world...yet because we're fighting said people, a majority will suddenly go 'neck (redneck) and yip and holler as they drag those poor souls off somewhere. Sheep, they follow and they listen...and they don't ask questions because they feel safe when herded...

Dark-Raven-77
07-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Fingerprints @ Gamestop? Is this just a joke?

I never heard about that in germany. We also have Gamestop-Shops here.

KeepEmRolling
07-10-2010, 01:19 PM
On a serious note, why don't you 'trust these slippery bastards as far as I could throw them.'? Do you have any experiences dealing with the Government, or are just basing your judgment off films and conspiracy theories on wikipedia?

The bit about hippiness is possibly one of the most hilarious things i've ever read. I sincerely hope it was intended to be humorous.

As far as the topic goes, regarding invasion of privacy, loss of individuality, and access to your information....it's only going to get worse. Gamestop wanting your fingerprints to prevent the receipt of stolen property is trivial. Do I agree with it? No I don't. However, if it's the law the only thing you can do is not go to Gamestop.

Tufty
07-10-2010, 01:41 PM
what if sometime in the future I commit a crime?

Well, if that was the case, then you would deserve to get caught.

VladimirK
07-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Maybe it's because I have enough of that wonderous thing called intelligence to not just accept everything and instead to question it.

Why should you trust them?
They don't want what's best for us, they never do.

And where are you basing your views? Plain ignorance?

I don't have hippie parents, I am my own person, I don't need to accept what they believe.
Unfortunately, it's actually people like you that tend to blindly follow whatever is bred into them.

Genesis x360a
07-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Tell me your serious and not just stupid. Your all for the british goverment having the personal information of 62 million people at there diposal when they lost a disc containing the data of all the people on benifits not 2 years ago which contained address's, bank accounts, names, etc. and a couple of weeks ago a USB memory stick was stollen containing valuable information. The british goverment are incompetent fools.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7449927.stm

Just some reading material for you.

Only read the first page of comments,

the most extreme way to do it would be to file down your skin and get rid of them, video sand blast them or acid

but with todays technology we have many things that you can use to fake your fingerprints either by special gel or other means...

You sir have made my day. Where talking about trading in a gaming console not kidnapping the president =|

Tufty
07-10-2010, 01:54 PM

If you would go through the agonising task of filing down your own fingers to trade in a game, do it. Let me know if it was worth it in the end.

TitansWar
07-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Maybe it's because I have enough of that wonderous thing called intelligence to not just accept everything and instead to question it.

Why should you trust them?
They don't want what's best for us, they never do.

And where are you basing your views? Plain ignorance?

I don't have hippie parents, I am my own person, I don't need to accept what they believe.
Unfortunately, it's actually people like you that tend to blindly follow whatever is bred into them.

I live by the innocent until proven guilty mantra. Until the Government does something inherently evil, then they have my blessing.

I base my belief in 'the system' because I live in a first world country. My country is a first world country not by chance, but because 100s of years ago, my Government/Monarchy had the ability to drive my country further than the likes of Africa/India/South America. It wasn't luck, and it certainly wasn't down to an abudance of natural resources sources - it was down to fantasic foreign policies introduced by my Government.

On a humourous side note:

I don't have hippie parents, I am my own person

.. is a pretty hippy thing to say.

TitansWar
07-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Tell me your serious and not just stupid. Your all for the british goverment having the personal information of 62 million people at there diposal when they lost a disc containing the data of all the people on benifits not 2 years ago which contained address's, bank accounts, names, etc. and a couple of weeks ago a USB memory stick was stollen containing valuable information. The british goverment are incompetent fools.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7449927.stm

Just some reading material for you.

How can you hold normal human beings to higher standards than yourself? Yes, individuals in Government might lost a USB stick or a file, much in the same way you might lose your wallet or house keys. Why should a random office administrator be above such things? In the end, if you are sensible, little harm can come from such things.

The Government will have things in place to stop the data becoming usable - all files are password protected/self deleting/not relevant/ecrypted. This is proved by the fact that millions of people have NOT had their identities stolen, due to Government mistakes highlighted on that BBC link.

If you were a woman, you'd probabloy be one of those idiots who loves to look at celebrities without make-up on. They're normal people too... so is the Prime Minister!

TitansWar
07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Hm...a controversial topic that may or may not give me enemies based on my own take on the whole ordeal...(really, to have someone consider me an "enemy" after this is childish...I just have a different point of view than a majority fo you).

Bravo sir, Bravo. I applaud you for saying one of the most sensible things in this thread first above all else.

I like having that "freebie", my prints not on file for that just in case moment that might happen in the future...am I ashamed that I may commit a crime in the future? No, unlike a majority of people I could care less for what you people call "Law" as it permits rapists, child molestors and even murderers to walk free in the daylight due to a "loophole" that their amazing lawyers figure out. Or perhaps the sentence wasn't good enough, maybe there was a bribe...regardless of the fact, "The System" is broke and anything "Vigilante" is a sin...which I fully disagree with (I for one accept Vengeance as the only route if someone killed my wife or either of my two sons).

Of course, if I were to commit a crime it would most likely be premed anyways...black gloves, care of any loose hair, etc....possibly clean the area after I'm done (depending on what I'm doing). But let's get back to this whole "fingerprint business".

I for one would never consent to this bullshit, as it is no more than another step towards "Minority Report" status of having our eyeballs scanned by random machines wherever we go, knowing who we are and what we do...and if we're not on file, we instantly become a potential suspect for activity. A "controlled" but in their eyes, "SAFE" future...of course we're a long ways out from anything science fiction such as that, the level of security that has appeared recently is oustandingly shocking.

Anyone remember Home Alone 1 and 2? Oh let's all race as a family to get to the airplane, we've got our flight tickets and we're good to go! Hell, these people could AFFORD to oversleep because they didn't have to wait abnoxious amounts of time going through the over-the-top security checks they do on you nowadays. This is why I like the 90's, they didn't pull this "I need to know who you are, what you are, if you're dangerous and whether or not I should arrest you" attitude...and it's only bound to get worse (UK wanting "DNA CARDS"?? Lolsauce, that's a laugh).

I agree with everything Dak said, being anonymous kind of used to be a right...but now it seems more like a "privledge" if you can avoid these "Government Scams" to get you in their database. I for one will turn away from this new policy if it's started in our gamestop, yes they can check my license...yes they can have my address...but I will not consent to a fingerprint nor will I deal with a wait period of 40 minutes.

To me, in the end the people that wish to consent to this kind of thing KNOW they don't mind being watched by people...they feel safe under this "protection" and that's fine, become a number in their system and watch your actions carefully...me on the other hand, I enjoy OPTIONS. Again, I don't wish to get enemies out of this...I just wanted to state my peace on how I would never do this kind of thing for a retailer (the only way I'm ever going to be fingerprinted is if I'm arrested, so therefore anything beforehand is my freebie-period).

FINAL NOTE: For those of you wondering, I have not commited any crimes as of yet. The only crimes I would ever commit would be revenge for something happening to my wife or sons, and that's about it. I'm not going to fess up to what else I might do...

You waffle too much to warrant a reply.

Genesis x360a
07-10-2010, 02:19 PM
How can you hold normal human beings to higher standards than yourself? Yes, individuals in Government might lost a USB stick or a file, much in the same way you might lose your wallet or house keys. Why should a random office administrator be above such things? In the end, if you are sensible, little harm can come from such things.

The Government will have things in place to stop the data becoming usable - all files are password protected/self deleting/not relevant/ecrypted. This is proved by the fact that millions of people have NOT had their identities stolen, due to Government mistakes highlighted on that BBC link.

If you were a woman, you'd probabloy be one of those idiots who loves to look at celebrities without make-up on. They're normal people too... so is the Prime Minister!

Because there the people in charge of the damn country and they should have a different mind set to other people. Losing the data of 25 million people is far from losing my wallet i can asure you. If its so called password protected then why did they offer a 20,000 reward upon its return? If you spit is it coming out of the goverments mouth? because you seem to be so far up there arse.

On a side note please learn to edit your posts and multi quote. Theres no need for 3-4 posts in a row.

Exhausted Dad
07-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I would not give my fingerprints to a damn game store either, WTF. But honestly this sounds more like a local law than some mandatory co. policy.

VladimirK
07-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Until the Government does something inherently evil, then they have my blessing.

Then you, my friend, are blind.
Don't suppose you've watched any news program any time over the past, what, 10 years then?

(Well, the blind part would make sense, I technically live in a first world country aswell; as much as Scotland has a little bit of a name for itself as not, it technically is.)

However, the "humourous point". You may have just proved that you aren't exactly the sharpest pencil in the box with that.
I said my parents aren't really hippies, I never talked about myself though. I don't know if I would be considered as a hippie though, I do sway that way in some respects, but I'm not a pacifist, I eat meat, etc.

Haha, I just read your, "You waffle too much to warrant a reply"
You don't really deserve a reply then if you're too lazy to read valid points, but I typed this now, so it'll get submitted.

Still, as for all of this...
I think it's straying a little too far into politics now.
Might seem ironic based on what I've been talking about, but I'm happy to try and follow this site's rules most of the time; I do like this site.
So maybe it's time to ease up before avoidable infractions are received?

Tiddy08
07-10-2010, 02:25 PM
i would of just straight walked out. thats a bit extreme...

TitansWar
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Because there the people in charge of the damn country and they should have a different mind set to other people. Losing the data of 25 million people is far from losing my wallet i can asure you. If its so called password protected then why did they offer a 20,000 reward upon its return? If you spit is it coming out of the goverments mouth? because you seem to be so far up there arse.

On a side note please learn to edit your posts and multi quote. Theres no need for 3-4 posts in a row.

How can you be in a different mind set about losing things? It is an accident, not a choice. It's like you didn't read by post - all you did was insert a generic insult about me liking the Government. And you spelt 'their' wrong.

You're so hippy than hippy hippy. Hippy; hippy.

We can all do it too.

TitansWar
07-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Then you, my friend, are blind.
Don't suppose you've watched any news program any time over the past, what, 10 years then?

(Well, the blind part would make sense, I technically live in a first world country aswell; as much as Scotland has a little bit of a name for itself as not, it technically is.)

However, the "humourous point". You may have just proved that you aren't exactly the sharpest pencil in the box with that.
I said my parents aren't really hippies, I never talked about myself though. I don't know if I would be considered as a hippie though, I do sway that way in some respects, but I'm not a pacifist, I eat meat, etc.

Haha, I just read your, "You waffle too much to warrant a reply"
You don't really deserve a reply then if you're too lazy to read valid points, but I typed this now, so it'll get submitted.

Still, as for all of this...
I think it's straying a little too far into politics now.
Might seem ironic based on what I've been talking about, but I'm happy to try and follow this site's rules most of the time; I do like this site.
So maybe it's time to ease up before avoidable infractions are received?

I didn't reply to that guy because I find him boring. His arguements/posts all over the forum are too predictable. He says what everything has already thought of but didn't bother posting because it was too obvious. That is why I never reply to him, ever.

I called you a hippie because of your 'I am my own person' quote. That, to me, sounds stupid; as in, I cringed when I read it.

Apparently I haven't watched the news in the last 10 years as I can't recount all the various instances of my Government being 'evil'. Please, enlighten me, I'd love to read the countless examples you have from the past 10 years.

TVthePunisher
07-10-2010, 02:45 PM
I didn't reply to that guy because I find him boring. His arguements/posts all over the forum are too predictable. He says what everything has already thought of but didn't bother posting because it was too obvious. That is why I never reply to him, ever.

I think I'm going to cry, really =/ quick, let me form a tear for this while I sit back and observe your conversation with Vladimir.

Really now, I say everything that has already been said...then I guess you don't read anything now do you? And yes, I may have come in late on this thread (third page to be exact) but I didn't exactly see it until around the time I posted...AFTER reading through every post already made (which, by majority, supported your little "idea" of what was right).

I'd certainly enjoy for you to go into more depth on...predictability, the sure-fire way to avoid dispute is to ignore dispute...and you're pretty good at that, so kudos. And as for...boring? Do you want me to do a tapdance or something? The subject in itself doesn't warrant me acting like an goofball, so I won't do it. I think "boring" comes from the fact that I type long posts...not the actual content, and it's nice to know you've been following me Titan =D I'll be sure to say hello to you in my future posts, as a reminder of it.

TitansWar
07-10-2010, 02:47 PM
I think I'm going to cry, really =/ quick, let me form a tear for this while I sit back and observe your conversation with Vladimir.

Really now, I say everything that has already been said...then I guess you don't read anything now do you? And yes, I may have come in late on this thread (third page to be exact) but I didn't exactly see it until around the time I posted...AFTER reading through every post already made (which, by majority, supported your little "idea" of what was right).

I'd certainly enjoy for you to go into more depth on...predictability, the sure-fire way to avoid dispute is to ignore dispute...and you're pretty good at that, so kudos. And as for...boring? Do you want me to do a tapdance or something? The subject in itself doesn't warrant me acting like an goofball, so I won't do it. I think "boring" comes from the fact that I type long posts...not the actual content, and it's nice to know you've been following me Titan =D I'll be sure to say hello to you in my future posts, as a reminder of it.

Your posts are long because you repeat yourself far too many times. That is why you are boring.

I can't help but 'follow' you. You're in every single thread saying what has already been thought/said. Please, I don't want to talk to you.

Genesis x360a
07-10-2010, 02:49 PM
How can you be in a different mind set about losing things? It is an accident, not a choice. It's like you didn't read by post - all you did was insert a generic insult about me liking the Government. And you spelt 'their' wrong.

We can all do it too.

Oh im deeply sorry for my spelling mistake -_- And im sorry but accidents on the scale of said accident shouldnt happen. Anways im done debating with you. Im going to smoke some marijuana and make daisy chains. Good day to you.

TVthePunisher
07-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Your posts are long because you repeat yourself far too many times. That is why you are boring.

I can't help but 'follow' you. You're in every single thread saying what has already been thought/said. Please, I don't want to talk to you.

You don't want to "talk"? Why, I was just starting to like you! /sarcasm.

I didn't realize they had signs on these threads saying "No TVs allowed", because here I was under the impression that the point of a thread is to post in it...and if it catches my eye, I check it out. I'm not the first person to add a "I use AC and a fan" in a thread about how hot it is at night or...that I dislike Bieber, or...whatever the case that apparently bothers you. The entire point of a thread is for me to put my input (and if somebody else already said it, WHOOPDIE DOO...someone asks if I'm going to see a movie, I say no...OH MY GOD, SOMEBODY ELSE SAID IT TOO, I'M SO UNORIGINAL), whether or not you read it is up to you, I'm perfectly alright with just posting my bit and moving on...if someone replies to it, great...if not, no biggy.

While you did offer "some depth", the fact that you're trying to "push me away" is fascinating...not only are you repeating yourself more than I do (This whole hippy thing is hilarious for example), but you're crumbling away as a troll beyond any other I've seen on this site. I didn't know what impression I got off of observing your posts in the past, but now that I'm actually getting a direct reply off of you...I can see that you just thrive off this kind of shit.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-10-2010, 03:03 PM
funny how things always turn from a decently serious debate to flaming each other........oh internet you never change

TVthePunisher
07-10-2010, 03:05 PM
funny how things always turn from a decently serious debate to flaming each other........oh internet you never change

It's not just the Internet I'm afraid, but you're right. A troll's a troll and debate quickly leans towards arguement in no time.

Fishman
07-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Yep, I sincerely tried to type up the best info I could, I typed the truth so I can let people know what was going on and there was nothing to worry about. Yet some people have resorted to "flaming" each other, I'm pretty sure some people have "flamed" me as well.

I think this thread is getting way to out of hand, I've said what I wanted to say so I'm done....

TVthePunisher
07-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Yep, I sincerely tried to type up the best info I could, I typed the truth so I can let people know what was going on and there was nothing to worry about. Yet some people have resorted to "flaming" each other, I'm pretty sure some people have "flamed" me as well.

I think this thread is getting way to out of hand, I've said what I wanted to say so I'm done....

You are right, you werent' causing any problems from the beginning...it was everything he posted towards each user the dared say otherwise. It's almost as if he was camping there waiting for someone to post negatively about the Government, this fingerprint policy, anything...

I don't like the policy but...I am not going to go after you, or whoever else supports it. I only got into this with that guy over there...because he is being an absolute prick to anyone he encounters over the subject. I'll gladly put this aside for the sake of the thread, so that others may indulge themselves in the subject...express their views...and hopefully won't recieve retaliation out of him again.

jarheadwayne
07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
They're just finger prints. You leave every where you go.

Capn Doug
07-10-2010, 05:59 PM
I live by the innocent until proven guilty mantra. Until the Government does something inherently evil, then they have my blessing.

I base my belief in 'the system' because I live in a first world country. My country is a first world country not by chance, but because 100s of years ago, my Government/Monarchy had the ability to drive my country further than the likes of Africa/India/South America. It wasn't luck, and it certainly wasn't down to an abudance of natural resources sources - it was down to fantasic foreign policies introduced by my Government.

On a humourous side note:

Wow, I'm not really sure where to start on this...

First, we are supposed to question our government. It doesn't matter what ccountry or whether you voted for them or not, you are supposed to question your government. That's how your previous president (I'm assuming, you are being purposely vague about your location) became the worst domestic president in the last century, if not of all time: He surrounded himself with people who would not tell him he was wrong and dismissed the people outside his inner circle as sore losers. I am a long time member of the Liberal Party of Canada, helping people get elected, work with them and hope to be elected one day, and I still question the decicions that my party makes. Because a stupid decision is still a stupid decision regardless of whether it was your side or the other that made it.

Second, foreign policy does not make the impact domestically that you think it does. I don't think you have the best handle on the full scope of the machinery of government, and it is making you come across as extremely naive.

And to simply dismiss everyone on the other side as a hippie (I spelled it right for you)? Well, I supposer that's fair, since everyone is now going to dismiss everything you say as being the words of a right wing troll. That goes for every thread, not just this one.

That being said, this isn't about government, it is about a company, and whether or not they, in fulfulling their legal obligations are overstepping the bounds of what is considered acceptable. The one saving grace about this is that if we don't like the policy, we don't have to deal with the company. We can take our business elsewhere, and it looks as though many gamers will.

@VladmirK

I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen a little more often to you. I know you are a great debater and pretty intelligent, but most people will just discount your positions as biased given your gamerpic and signature.

VladimirK
07-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen a little more often to you. I know you are a great debater and pretty intelligent, but most people will just discount your positions as biased given your gamerpic and signature.

I would be a fool to claim that I'm not at least a little biased by outside views, but I do always at least try to enter into everything with as unbiased a view as possible.

Haha, the sig and gamerpic suggest that I'm more biased than I really am.
The gamerpic is pretty true, but I mainly just think that the picture in the sig is a really, really powerful image.
Vladimir Putin said, "Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain." I think people looking at my sig tend to miss that sometimes, I like the image and it does display a sense of great Soviet power, but I'm more intelligent than to actually want a regime like that installed.

And if people still want to discount my view based on such things, let them.
If they are that ignorant, they probably aren't worth talking to anyway.

(And just "pretty intelligent"? :p:biglaugh)

sleepydumbdude
07-10-2010, 07:54 PM
We have this and its a stupid pawn law in Indiana. I said nevermind and stopped trading with them shortly after and just use craigslist.
Think this is our law.

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/indiana/in-code/indiana_code_28-7-5-20

R Rated Love
07-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Does anybody here actually know for certain that fingerprints the GameStop takes are being put on file, or just cross-checked with the police database (if even)? Are they taking full sets or just a thumb? It seems like a lot of assumptions are being made in this discussion, with very little rational talk on either side of the debate. (I mean, the last 2 pages of this thread have been been one giant eyeroll/facepalm)

If I go to cash my paycheck at a bank I don't hold an account with, they'll ask for my fingerprint. This doesn't go to a police database for filing, and barring any issues with my check, the fingerprint fades into oblivion. It is, however, used to cross-reference in the event that something goes awry with my transaction, or fraud is suspected. (But even then, the police can't do anything with it, as they don't have my prints on file, and thus have nothing to work with. It's like finding a hair at a crime scene. Good luck finding the head it fell off of without any other leads.)

Likewise, local pawnshops I've dealt with don't hand over prints to any police database unless similar situations arise (again, single finger, not even whole sets). While local GameStops don't take fingerprints here, I highly doubt they'd be doing anything different with them.

The fingerprinting itself is little more than deterrent for would-be committers of fraud. In actuality, they serve very little purpose in catching people.

In other words: Me giving my fingerprint to GameStop won't come back to bite me in the ass when I snap and murder 13 people in 2019.

[/rationality]

Carry on

Harry Ball Nutz
07-11-2010, 02:24 AM
This is really gonna suck for all the gaming serial killers!

DarkBigone
07-11-2010, 02:34 AM
I think it seems strange since it not something you expect a store like this would do...personally I'd be surprise if it were to happen to me (but since I alredy know, meh). Personally I dont see the harm in doing so, but I'd only let them take the firgerprint of my middle finger ^^

"Middle finger...or no deal ;)"

Corrupt.
07-11-2010, 02:51 AM
What a mind-numbingly serious post :(

Neverender
07-11-2010, 04:53 AM
I went to Gamestop earlier today (needed a new controller) and they didn't ask for my fingerprints. It's been so long since I've gone there that they don't even have me on record, but they still didn't ask for prints.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't care if they did. I have nothing to hide. And if it helps stop crime somewhere, I guess it's a good thing.

dakisbac
07-11-2010, 05:15 AM
To start off, keep any talk of religion out of here. Insta-lock otherwise.

Well, if that was the case, then you would deserve to get caught.

Indeed you are correct. Like I said in that post though, if I were to commit a crime I'd obviously not want to get caught, even if I deserved to.

They're just finger prints. You leave every where you go.

True. But as of now these prints belong to an unknown person, not me. That's how I'd like to keep it.

<snip>

In other words: Me giving my fingerprint to GameStop won't come back to bite me in the ass when I snap and murder 13 people in 2019.

The worst news for gamers: This means the cops will now a have a permanent record that you once owned a copy of Wii Music.
- Article A (http://consumerist.com/2009/06/florida-used-game-shops-required-to-take-traders-thumbprints.html)

Authorities monitor pawnshop transactions, and full disclosure required of sellers includes valid identification, thumbprint and signature. "We've caught some big players and put them in jail," Cacciatore said.

"If it wasn't for pawnshops, half of these people wouldn't get caught," said Stoops, 44, who met Cacciatore when both worked at Value Pawn.
- Article B (http://northeast2.tbo.com/content/2008/jan/05/ne-lending-itself-to-change/news/)

Unless other arrangements have been agreed upon by the secondhand dealer and the appropriate law enforcement agency, the secondhand dealer shall, within 24 hours of the acquisition of any secondhand goods, by purchase or pledge as security for a loan, a secondhand dealer shall deliver to the police department of the municipality where the goods were acquired.... Such record shall contain:
(a) The time, date, and place of the transaction.
(b) A complete and accurate description of the goods acquired....
(c) A description of the person from whom the goods were acquired, including:
1. Full name, current residential address, workplace, and home and work phone numbers.
2. Height, weight, date of birth, race, gender, hair color, eye color, and any other identifying marks.
3. The right thumbprint free of smudges and smears, of the person from whom the goods were acquired.
- FLORIDA LEGISLATURE (lines 259 onwards) (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=hb085503e1.html&Directory=session/2005/House/bills/billtext/html/)

So... I think it's fair to say that we've cleared this up. There's no doubt that the police get these records.

TVthePunisher
07-11-2010, 02:58 PM
^And that's exactly why, provided Gamestop takes my 360, that I will NOT provide my prints. I'll just sell it elsewhere at that point...but I still can't do it online >=/

Sidereal
07-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Authorities monitor pawnshop transactions, and full disclosure required of sellers includes valid identification, thumbprint and signature. "We've caught some big players and put them in jail," Cacciatore said.

"If it wasn't for pawnshops, half of these people wouldn't get caught," said Stoops, 44, who met Cacciatore when both worked at Value Pawn.
- Article B (http://northeast2.tbo.com/content/2008/jan/05/ne-lending-itself-to-change/news/)

And that's exactly why I will give them my thumbprint without a second thought on the matter.

josherpillage
07-11-2010, 04:04 PM
just another reason to not trade games in.

if you plan on trading a game in just rent it or sign up for gamefly. or wait for a used copy and just abuse gamestops 7 day return policy.

izret101
07-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I didn't bother to read through all the pages to see if anyone had said this yet but.

It would it be used to prevent fraud/theft/etc (which i know was mentioned).

The other thing is tied to the first. They are not just retail stores. They fall under the same category as Pawn Shops. That is why you have to be 18 or have a parent with you to trade in games. And like Pawn Shops they get in a lot of stolen merch.

As for people worrying about GS having your prints... why the hell are you trading your games in anyways??? Very rarely do they give you what you could make reselling it yourself or even trading with someone you know.

Tinysmitty
07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I dont think Oregon,USA gamestops do that.

Phantomsiren
07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Colorado Gamestops don't. Sounds crazy!

Flik Nightshade
07-11-2010, 07:13 PM
It's been mentioned in a post before but it doesn't quite seem to be sinking in. This is the pawn law in that state. GameStop has to abide by whatever the pawn laws are within that state to accept trades. In that area? It would seem that capturing finger prints are the status quo. Is this a system that's going to be implemented through out the US? It's highly unlikely.

Honestly? If you don't want to give up your prints to do so, then don't, but really? Your gorram fingerprints are all over the items you did or didn't trade. Anyone who actually wanted to collect them could just have to take your items and lift them from that. Privacy is dead, my friends. As witnessed by the whole Real ID debacle recently, all it takes is your full name to pull out your home address and phone number in a manner of seconds.

The only things that are private are whats in your head, kids. Remember that.

Sidereal
07-11-2010, 07:23 PM
The only things that are private are whats in your head, kids. Remember that.

The government-issued spy chips they implant in your brain at birth say otherwise!

Skillet
07-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Gamestop... no longer a reliable fence. <_<

But in all seriousness, I don't really like it. So far, my local Gamestop hasn't done anything like this. But when/if they do, that's the day I stop trading things in at Gamestop. You can call me paranoid or whatever you want, but I always wonder where it ends. Swiftly moving towards ID chips implanted under people's skin. Something else I'm strongly against.

I don't need the government tracking me every time I buy carrots, I don't need On-Star shutting down my my vehicle, and I don't need Gamestop asking me for my fingerprint.

ekblad
07-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Skillet, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I traded in 2 of my Xbox 360's and my Playstation 3 on GameStop.

They didn't ask for my fingerprint or ID. I don't like to whore around with my PI anyway, so I wouldn't approve.

Dz06lt
07-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Not happening

TVthePunisher
07-12-2010, 05:14 AM
It appears the policy hasn't hit us yet, as my wife said...once every other state and city gets it, then they'll finally (maybe) impliment it into our local policy. We went in and sold a couple games (9 f'n bucks, but do you want to know how much they'd give me for my white model? Twenty-Five Buckaroos. YEE HAW, I MIGHT BE ABLE TO SKIMMY ME DOWN SOME CHEAP GRUB AT SUM OF DEM FAST FOOD RESTA-RAAAUNTS!) and no issue there, aside from the 360 I tried to sell (apparently the guy I got it off broke the seal...maybe it's a sign, who knows when I can afford a Slim...).

Den again, we're in KUN-TUCK-KEE an day ain't got no FAAAAAANGAPRINTIN GIZMOS to get us held up by da loooong arm of the law! To my understandin, we may not see it hit Kun-tuck-kee unless I ...oh my god I can't stand the accent. Well, from what I can tell they don't have it here...even for their pawn shops...likely never to hit unless it becomes a nationwide requirement.

Sidereal
07-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Den again, we're in KUN-TUCK-KEE an day ain't got no FAAAAAANGAPRINTIN GIZMOS to get us held up by da loooong arm of the law! To my understandin, we may not see it hit Kun-tuck-kee unless I ...oh my god I can't stand the accent. Well, from what I can tell they don't have it here...even for their pawn shops...likely never to hit unless it becomes a nationwide requirement.

Pft. You'd get it before I would, I live in West Virginia.

ferrara316
07-12-2010, 03:23 PM
i love how a topic that was started by someone with less than 15 posts has caused such a ruckus...

I live in in the New York City region and i have never been asked for my fingerprints when trading in a game. This has to be in states or areas where there are little police force.

mosin360
07-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I'd ask about their security and how they gurantee that its encrypted with only law enforcement being able to see it.

Then again, I don't trade stuff.

rvlution
07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Just remember, Big Brother is always watching!

Devil4444123
07-12-2010, 04:43 PM
I'd be more concerned about the blue splotch on my thumb that's about to rub all over my controller.
I'm guessing it would be digital, like the new-ish laptops that you can scan your fingerprint into, not with ink.

Also how about we just lock this thread and say that it's normal to stop fraud/theft/etc.

Rolks
07-12-2010, 10:06 PM
i love how a topic that was started by someone with less than 15 posts has caused such a ruckus...

I live in in the New York City region and i have never been asked for my fingerprints when trading in a game. This has to be in states or areas where there are little police force.

Agreed ... I call total shenanigans.

Kunduz
07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Next up you'll have to leave urine, stool and semen samples at Game Stop, in order to make a purchase.

GhOsT SLaYeR
07-13-2010, 01:31 AM
this is good and bad i guess.... people are posting 'only hurts the criminals' what about people that are under 18 years old?
(idk about UK/USA) but in Canada it would be illegal to take a "young persons" finger print w/o parent consent. So now some1 who is trading in there games have to be over 18... (I'm over 18 so idc that much about it) but It would piss me off that I couldn't trade in a game due to this process.

**edit before people say "well they just have to get their parents there"...that now inconveniences 2 people (the Young Person/Parent)

Sizzlebuzz
07-13-2010, 01:35 AM
I don't know if I would allow them to take my prints. It's ridiculous really. They already push used games off as new.

KNIGHTOFSERA
07-13-2010, 01:49 AM
this is good and bad i guess.... people are posting 'only hurts the criminals' what about people that are under 18 years old?
(idk about UK/USA) but in Canada it would be illegal to take a "young persons" finger print w/o parent consent. So now some1 who is trading in there games have to be over 18... (I'm over 18 so idc that much about it) but It would piss me off that I couldn't trade in a game due to this process.

**edit before people say "well they just have to get their parents there"...that now inconveniences 2 people (the Young Person/Parent)

you have to be 18 to sell stuff already ( where required by law, which i imagine is a lot of places, and especially in places if they have this fingerprint law)

it says in trade in policy
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/Store%20Return%20Policy.pdf

BlackZero30X
07-13-2010, 02:24 AM
I find this weird more then anything because most customers at gamestop are in the system so if you trade something in to them they could put the serial number on your account....it would be just as easy and less people would be getting mad.

spinflux
07-13-2010, 04:00 AM
This thread is heavy going. It seems that people are split between two views; Take my fingerprints as I dont care, since I'm not a criminal - or I will never give out my fingerprints to the government, for whatever reason, if I can avoid it. While I see the reasoning behind most of the arguments I've read, I think that realistically, if the government (or whoever else) formed enough interest in you to care about your personal information, they have more than enough already without your print, and they could easily get it if they wanted to. Giving your thumb-print to gamestop wont change that in my opinion.

However, this topic brings up something else that concerned me when I first encountered it -

has anyone else here had to give their fingerprint and have their license scanned to enter a licensed premises? (club/bar etc?) I have, and it was disconcerting. Im wondering if this is a common thing (I hope not), and I would have liked to have refused but obviously I wouldnt have gotten in otherwise, and it wasnt worth the hassle of making a moral stance.

Be interested to see if this happens anywhere else..

Kirye
07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
When I went to trade in my 360 for the new slim model, they asked me for a fingerprint. Seriously, I could care less. Everywhere I go, I use my card to pay for everything so what's the difference here? They have a thumb print, boo hoo.

It's nice to see some people actually going all out in this thread debating whether or not finger printing should become a permanent addition to the gamestop rule, but some of you just seem like paranoid little children worried about your information being leaked. I don't have to hide who I am, the government isn't going to do anything to me. Same to all of you, just because they have a thumb print of yours in a video game store doesn't mean anything. It's the future, and it's only gonna get worse from here.

So either get over it and live with it, or go sell your games on amazon where you'll make much more for them. Just watch out though, Amazon needs your bank information to know where they'll be sending the money, that information might go to the evil government too!

ZanKioH
07-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Government conspiracy?

On Topic though: You have to ask yourself the question, why would they do this?

So they can track your details for future purchases?
So they can stalk you and hunt you down _ ?
So they can give the board a clear cut number of current unique shoppers
Training purposes ?

Many, many reasons.

Paka
07-13-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing it is going into IAFIS... I have nothing to hide myself, but on principle (being a libertarian) I have some issues with it. Especially if they were to use multiple transactions with no other evidence of a crime as "probable cause" for a warrant to search you (a stretch, but could see it happening). Of course nobody is forcing anyone to trade there, so best thing to do is avoid 'em if you disagree with it.

Nlkuysdf
07-13-2010, 05:38 PM

We can all do it too.

And you spelt 'arguments' wrong.

Opiate42
07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow, I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Thankfully in Canada we only need a legit photo ID.

ZundayXx
07-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Seems a bit over the top to me. If it was for something serieus i'd say go for it, but we are talking about video games.

But yeah, you guys should be lucky. My local game renters stopped 2 years ago due to severe loss of video games. They didn't ask for finger prints, they just stopped renting them. Right now the only rental service i have near me is ''That very reliable hayshack over there''.

Opiate42
07-13-2010, 08:44 PM

LOL!!!! :p

patches4711
07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
I live in Delaware and just recently Gamestop started asking for ID when you trade in a game. I was told it has something to do with the pawn shop laws in our area. I think fingerprinting is taking it a little to far.

Coxy x360a
07-13-2010, 09:10 PM
This isn't at Game yet so the English are all happy :D

TVthePunisher
07-13-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd like to add another bit of input: Apparently they don't ask for ID here unless you trade in anything M-rated. I traded in my DS with a few games and didn't get carded, but whenever I traded in L4D and Fable II they of course required it (which I fully understand, most establishments require that anyone selling or buying an M rated product present identification).

Hm...I guess it goes in an order of what they require. Some gamestops don't even need ID or addresses, while others go as far as requiring Fingerprints. I live in one of the lesser-required areas then.

Blah 2k
07-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Fingerprints? I would laugh and turn around and walk out of the store while still laughing. That's just stupid.

montana97
07-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Im all for it. The week before christmas we had our house broken into rough idea of what they took games wise was 2 360s, a ps3, 154 360games, 20 or so ps3 games. Now my guess is these guys do this kind of thing for a living so my stuff will turn up somewhere. And if you have to give your fingerprints to trade or sell stuff like that then it would make people easier to track down for the right reasons.