Some Mic/Lag Related Q's

Nevander

Recently I have witnessed many issues with communication over Live, and it's gotten to the point where I can't stand it any longer, and need to know what is causing it. Below are a few questions I have:

1. Sometimes I will be talking to someone, and suddenly their voice just stops suddenly for me. They ARE still talking however, but I cannot hear them. Eventually their voice will cut back in, but it takes a while. Is this a connection problem, or is it their or my mic?
  2. Straight up voice lag is a common problem as well, I'll be hearing someone talk, but instead of a nice "Hello, Nevander..." it's more like, "He-ll-o N-e-va-n-der...", with constant cutting out.
  3. Lastly, echoing. What causes this? If I plug my mic in a certain way, it will echo, but only other people can hear the echo. I understand this issue pretty well, but sometimes it still continues to happen even if my headset is plugged in correctly.

If there is already a thread on this, my apologies. Thanks for any and all support!

EDIT: I'm unsure if the mic itself it the problem, one of my friend has a turtle beach and the other uses a standard Xbox 360 headset, so do I. If it is the headset, I have no idea what it could be because I have no clue what to look for. lol.

Edited by Nevander

Could the mic itself be part of the issue?

It probably is, Microsoft's wired microphones are not very reliable to be honest, they tend to break rather easily. Most of the problems listed above happened with my first mic, I bought a wireless microphone after the first one broke and they stopped, so I recommend buying one.

I'm going to say it is your connection, or the others in the party. I have the same issue's (well the first two). Doesn't matter whether I'm using a wired or wireless mic. Living in Australia, the distance between the people I talk to and myself is huge, so that certainly does not help.

Make sure that no-one else in your house (or your friends) are using the internet. This can, and will exacerbate the problem. Check your NAT too.

Wireless headsets can also cut off due to being to far I suppose and start making an EXTREMELY LOUD noise for anyone listening. The person who's mic it is can't hear it but he knows when there's like 7 people screaming, "OH MY GOD!! MIC!!! FIX YOUR MIC!!!" It's happened to me several times, on the receiving end. I don't use wireless headsets. Be thankful you haven't heard that.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to bump this or anything, but I just wanted to post what has happened in the past couple weeks with my connection and the aforementioned problems.

I discovered, through my ISP doing a systems test, that a wire in the box outside my house was "broken" or "disturbed" in a way so that my connection suffered from a problem known as 'packet loss.' This would explain the voice cut-outs.

A repair guy was sent out to fix it, but to no avail. I hate my ISP, they are terrible. So I had to settle for the lag and cut-outs, or a slower speed connection which gives me more game lag, rather than microphone lag. I swear my ISP is the most terrible ISP ever to have existed. Windstream Communications, I salute you! *insert sarcasm here*