PDA

View Full Version : Population Problems

Cypher_Cobra
07-13-2010, 07:33 AM
If you've been playing Transformers: WFC since release, you've probably noticed what a video game company calls "contraction". Which is when the initial burst of players slowly drops after release.

We started the game at roughly 16,000 players.
Now after contraction we have about 5,500-6,000 players.

Tell me, someone has to have noticed this issue. Where will we all be with this game in a few more months? This game is a lot of fun, but when we have 1,500 players all I can see this game for is a few extra credits for trade in at Gamestop. And what of the achievements? Seems like if you don't get Prime now, you might be sunk since the remaining players will all be die hards who will re-arrange your face in the game from their months of experience.

Who's fault is it? I blame High Moon, I'd be willing to wager out of the 10,000 players we lost 5,000 of them lost SOLELY because the servers don't work smoothly enough. And now after we lose 10,000 players the servers still don't function smoothly enough.

But I also blame the consumers, I think most of us consumers are too spoiled by AAA titles that no one is even willing to give any other game a chance. Here we've got a damn fine and fun game and because of Transformers' terrible video game rep our initial player base is 16,000 because it's not an earth shaking, block busting release.

Hate to see fun games like this fading away before they get started.

MADasaHatter
07-13-2010, 07:56 AM
It's the truth and I'm sorry to have to swallow some crow to say it.
Not sure who posted the thread saying this game will be dead in a year's time. I fought and whole heartedly disagreed with that OP, but the signs are kinda obvious.

I once tried to play Power Struggle and only 80 people were playing that playlist. 80.

Can't say that I blame High Noon too much. Yeah, the server issue was a slit wrist for the opening sales, but I guess the main reason this game won't catch on before it bottoms out is that it's not a "pick it up/play" MP. LFD and MW2 are you're basic Mp's- you pick your gun and perk but everyone moves the same, plays the same. The TF MP is restricted to it's classes like Team Fortress or AvP so you can't really customize your loadout (i.e. a leader won't move as fast as a jet, a jet won't have as much armor as a soldier etc.) .

Class based mp's really only keep hardcore fans- people willing to know the ins and outs of what a specific class does/does not do.

I didn't see myself getting to Prime, but I've really fallen in love with the MP and I've put down Crackdown 2 just to finish and 1k this game.

thepaxman
07-13-2010, 09:48 AM
For me, who doesn't play online a lot, it takes too long to rank up in games. If they made it a little quicker, I think people would play them longer - I know I would.

Cypher_Cobra
07-13-2010, 10:02 AM
For me, who doesn't play online a lot, it takes too long to rank up in games. If they made it a little quicker, I think people would play them longer - I know I would.

It's one of those gain one lose one deals.

If you level up quicker you'll gain some people, but if you level up too quickly then the people who are in it for progression finish the leveling and leave.

So you gain some people, and lose some people.

AltarofPlagues
07-13-2010, 10:17 AM
I think something went severely wrong with the advertising for this game. There was none. It still sits at the bottom of the shelves in the game shops. Its release has been slipped under the carpet almost, and also in the first week of its release the demand was so high in the UK game shops that you couldnt actually buy it. you STILL struggle to get it in some shops and its been overpriced to 45. It hasnt been reviewed by a lot of the major gaming mags...its totally slipped under the radar. Seriously, what the fucks happened here?

Saying that, last night there was close to 6000 playing....so it cant be all that bad. I reckon a awful lot of that number are playing Escalation though, not the multiplayer.

UCB Disco
07-13-2010, 01:38 PM
I knew this was going to happen, but I can speak for myself here;

I will NOT be getting rid of this game. I'm a die-hard Transformers fan, and even though I'm not that good at the multiplayer, I just keep finding myself going back and playing this. Whether it's repeating the single-player, Escalation, or competitive multiplayer, I just love playing it.

You can always count me in those numbers! :woop:

Spawnus
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
I love Transformers: War for Cybertron, hell I love Transformers so I wont be selling this game, but since getting the full 1000g I have been taking a break from it and playing other games like Aliens vs Predator, L4D 1 and 2, Bad Company and Lost Planet 2, I think when the DLC comes in it will get me straight back onto the game but for now i'm taking a rest from it

mickjsg
07-13-2010, 03:11 PM
I think something went severely wrong with the advertising for this game. There was none. It still sits at the bottom of the shelves in the game shops. Its release has been slipped under the carpet almost, and also in the first week of its release the demand was so high in the UK game shops that you couldnt actually buy it. you STILL struggle to get it in some shops and its been overpriced to 45. It hasnt been reviewed by a lot of the major gaming mags...its totally slipped under the radar. Seriously, what the fucks happened here?

Saying that, last night there was close to 6000 playing....so it cant be all that bad. I reckon a awful lot of that number are playing Escalation though, not the multiplayer.

I noticed that, it was completely unadvertised in the store I go to.
GAME called it a 'marginal' title. :|

Spawnus
07-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I noticed that, it was completely unadvertised in the store I go to.
GAME called it a 'marginal' title. :|

GAME know F all, enuff said I think.

Psychedelic224
07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
@mickjsg

This was exactly the attitude I got when I purchased my copy. They didn't bother ordering any copys other than pre order's. If someone didn't cancel their pre order on release day I probley wouldn't have gotten my copy!

In my opinion I think the multiplayer is dying due to the really unstable connections.
Disregarding hosts quiting this p2p hosting system is killing online games not everyone can pay for the best net connection possible and as such the connection is terrible when everone else joins. Then theres the Horse doo doo melee system. Anyone else getting sick of games trying to copy the idea of COD?

I'm not sure the melee system was originaly CODs but that's where I first seen it. They should've left it like the Revenge of the Fallen's melee system, that was perfect in my opinion. And the lack of dodges with every class kills combat abit too, Scouts being the only one that can dodge a bullet is kinda retarded. :(

neeker75
07-14-2010, 03:18 AM
Another issue is how the game distributes the players. I've seen five players in a session and the game pitted 4 vs 1. How's that one guy supposed to win, assuming he's just an average player? Ok maybe he's really good with the game, but 4 vs 1?

No wonder he quitted.

NeM2k2
07-14-2010, 06:01 PM
I love this game but for the most part I can't stand the multiplayer. There are far too many issues with it.

* team balancing
* laggy (I'm especially sick of bullets hitting me "around corners")
* melee ruins the game
* classes seem unbalanced. eg. for the tank's slow speed, it should be able to soak up far more damage. Being-oneshotted by scouts or scientists? No thanks.
* conquest mode spawn points are messed up - enemies shouldn't spawn right on top of me (multiple times even!) while I am capturing a point

I'm going to go for Prime Mode but after that I am done with the multiplayer.