PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else borrow game from there local library?

Coldgears
07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
My library is great. It has games for the Wii, PS3, 360, DS, PSP, PS2. Everything from great games like gears of war, halo 3, to lesser known but fun games like xmen orgins wolverine, call of jaurez bound in blood. To shitty but easy games to whore like avatar, night at the muesum and such.

They allow you to have 5 games out at a time for a week each (you can renew online too!) The only downside is it cost $0.50 per day late on a game...(Common, what a rip). Plus, you can have games shipped from other libraries in the county, straight to your library from 50 miles away just by putting them on hold... Oh, and because they are on hold nobody else can take them!

Anyone else have a library like this?

Here are some pics.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/omgwowomg/hhh.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/omgwowomg/jpg.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/omgwowomg/fgf.jpg

I just returned the above games for the conduit(Wii) and the new prince of persia. I whored night at the museum, had fun with the star wars game, and never played the other two.

spyder2g
07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
WTF !?! I've been paying gamefly for years and libraries give out games!?! I can literally see one from my window here at work. I gotta go investigate - Btw where are you that they do this - heaven?

regulardrake
07-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah our library does something like that also. Not sure what the fees are, but I am sure it not to bad at all. I have also been toying with the idea of going down there and seeing what they got, maybe they will have something I have been trying to try, but haven't bought yet. lol

Nozza XBA
07-13-2010, 04:05 PM
I may go down to my local libary and have a look.. thats if I can find it as I dont actually know where one is lol

Dont know if we'd do this is the UK but worth a gander!

JAW LV
07-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Live in Las Vegas and as far as I know no libraries here offer this. Would be nice though, I'd probably get rid of gamefly if the games were decent. I have 2 kids so we do go to the library often; the one in my area does have DVDs and CDs so maybe games will follow soon.

OhStressyJessy
07-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I had no idea that libraries did this! I'll have to check it out (haha, get it?). It sure beats buying full retail price or paying for a service like GameFly.

Do you have to pay a fee to rent them? Or do rentals come with having a library card?

Coldgears
07-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah our library does something like that also. Not sure what the fees are, but I am sure it not to bad at all. I have also been toying with the idea of going down there and seeing what they got, maybe they will have something I have been trying to try, but haven't bought yet. lol

WHAT!?!?! A fee? My library does this for "free". You shouldn't have to pay nothing... Just like every library it's paid for by taxes.

EDIT: Yes all you need is a library card, they have a self checkout too!

BS411
07-13-2010, 05:57 PM
My local library has Wii and 360 games but mostly Wii. Of the 360 games they have they are usually games I never heard of before or kids games. But I did rent a racing game that ended up being pretty good. And this racing game was so unknown it wasn't even listed on this site.

So I usually pop my head in once in a while so see if they have any good games. Oh, and they only allow one game to be rented at a time for a person.

So your local library OP sounds awesome.

Nathan WV10
07-13-2010, 06:02 PM
I really wished my library did this. We only get books and internet time.

Coldgears
07-13-2010, 06:04 PM
My local library has Wii and 360 games but mostly Wii. Of the 360 games they have they are usually games I never heard of before or kids games. But I did rent a racing game that ended up being pretty good. And this racing game was so unknown it wasn't even listed on this site.

So I usually pop my head in once in a while so see if they have any good games. Oh, and they only allow one game to be rented at a time for a person.

So your local library OP sounds awesome.
That's the sad part, most libraries that carry video games refuse to carry violent ones, the won't even carry "T" games if they have guns. Let alone "M" games at all. My library doesn't give a crap and has all the bloodiest and goriest games imaginable.

Eksy
07-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Crazy! The library closest to me doesn't offer this, but it'd be interesting to see if any other LA county ones do.

Lucky you!

Spanish Assault
07-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Mine did and I borrowed great games like Jurrasic, Prince of Persia, NHL 2010, Lego Rock band and Beatles Rock Band. Now that it's summer time they never have any games in (except for Guitar hero 2) so it sucks.

KeepEmRolling
07-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I've checked out a few games from my local library. It takes awhile to get hold of a recent game cause they're constantly out. My library offers 360 and Wii games, which are due back in a week. There is no fee, you just need a current library card.

guillermo316
07-13-2010, 07:34 PM
GaMeS In A LiBrAry!? what! that crazy my lirary has nothing like this, it only has people with books... That Read! that like a "Bizarro Library!" man i havent gone the library since i was 6 or 7.

Opiate42
07-13-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm investigating mine right now. Holy hell if mine do I have to find my bloody card, it's been lost for 2 years!! :p

Thanks for the idea dude I never would have thought about the Library even though I work in one, just not the public system...of course the damn online catalogue is down!

illchupacabras
07-13-2010, 09:00 PM
GaMeS In A LiBrAry!? what! that crazy my lirary has nothing like this, it only has people with books... That Read! that like a "Bizarro Library!" man i havent gone the library since i was 6 or 7.

Well you should stop by soon. Most libraries nowadays carry movies, tv series, music cd's, and all sorts of other non-book related things. I work at a library in Utah and we're currently contemplating whether or not we should start carrying video games. I'm hoping to talk them into it.

RuYi
07-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Public Library in my city only has PC games like Freddie Fish lol.

Sgt Scyther
07-13-2010, 09:26 PM
My library has Wii, 360, and PS3 games but the selection isn't all that great. Most of it is shovelware and licensed crap but I did check Lego Batman out from there once. I had a lot of fun with that. :)

Kunduz
07-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I would, if they did it here.

Damage
07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm in UK and we can rent old DVD's and Blu-rays for 2.50 for 3 nights from the library, but NO games.

Libraries in southern England rent games for a small free, but last time I checked (was visiting a friend in Hampshire) they had all gone missing. Talked to the library peeps and they say that they don't bother going after them, unless they try taking something else out. So basically the little SODS are renting loads and then never going back to the library again.

Spoils it for everyone else. They should rent games everywhere and run it like the 'New releases' system is run my local library. Its basically a private company that rents cheap via the library. If any go missing they chase them down and fine them big time/take them to court.

Dreamer84
07-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Wow that's something new for me. I have to check out my local library see if any games are out :eek:

regulardrake
07-14-2010, 02:15 AM
WHAT!?!?! A fee? My library does this for "free". You shouldn't have to pay nothing... Just like every library it's paid for by taxes.

EDIT: Yes all you need is a library card, they have a self checkout too!

Lol I should of worded that a bit better. What I was meaning by fee was late fee. I didn't know how much the late fee would be if you happen to be late. I am sure it probably wouldn't be that much.

Cleaner7
07-14-2010, 02:50 AM
I think the libraries out here only do DVDs. Not up to date with games. :(

DigitalTru7h
07-14-2010, 02:53 AM
Yeah my library mostly has sport games. The 2K6 ones, which are easy achievements I assume but what the hell, why would I go to a library? Might go tomorrow because this thread inspired me to.

Zeik
07-14-2010, 03:56 AM
Mine carries Wii, PS2, PS3, and 360 games as long as they are not mature. In the summer I go up once a week to pick up a few to play.

fudgenuts64
07-14-2010, 04:18 AM
I wish mine did. Mine carries DVDs and the like but not games. It would be sweet to just walk over to my library and pick out a few games for easy G.

GhOsT SLaYeR
07-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Wow! i didn't know that librarys rent games out..... I should see if mine does (but I highly doubt it)

FFFreak1129
07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I didn't even know they let you borrow games. I'm going to have to go there and see. That would be awesome if they did there is one pretty close to where I live.

The Dukenator
07-14-2010, 11:22 AM
The library here used to let you borrow games years ago during the NES days.
Now, they don't. But I suggested that they should at least have Wii games to check out.
So far, they haven't done anything like that yet.
They're working on getting a new library built as the current one is no longer suitable.

Wortsenawl
07-14-2010, 11:44 AM
I have been using my library for some time to rent games... They get them quite quick too... RDR is currently available, for example.

2 quid per game per week - though often they do 2 for 1

Thegreatest7884
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
My library only rents out Wii games, mainly because they are trying to keep a family friendly approach when it comes to gaming. I've been asking about them buying 360 and PS3 games, even offering to donate some, and they said they may be adopting them in the future. I was actually the person to get them to start renting out Blu Rays, and now they have something like 300 titles on Blu Ray.

With libraries renting games for free and Gamefly renting games without leaving the house, Blockbuster is basically screwed. I think five stores around me have closed. Great closing deals, though.

The Dukenator
07-14-2010, 02:09 PM
There's a Blockbuster up the street from me that I rent from.
There are 2 other places I haven't rented from for some time and they are local rental stores, not chains like Blockbuster. Movie Gallery recently closed down the store here and vanished a few months ago.

StephenJ360
07-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Never heard of libraries renting out games until now. But Blockbuster has been screwed for a while, in my town, they've closed 4 Blockbusters within the past year. They're too overpriced compared to Netflix and Gamefly. But you are indeed right about some sweet closing sales, they usually have some pretty awesome stuff for cheap but you just gotta get in on it quick!

Xylon Uxkid
07-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Wow the US is so amazing hahaha. We dont have anything like that in PR.

SubG3nius
07-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Maybe the library here have been good and have some decent games, I haven't checked out, maybe I'll take a look sometime.

vgfanatic1
07-15-2010, 12:39 AM
A few months ago, a friend of mine told me that their library had games. I thought that my library might have done the same, because the last time I had been there (several years before =P) they had added quite a lot like a big selection of music and Dvds. So I got home, and just my luck, they didn't. All they had was these shitty little pieces of paper called "books." What's happened to my community?

Sampson
07-15-2010, 02:55 AM
I've never heard of that. I wish my library was that contemporary. They have old people that listen to audiobooks on tape.

Devil4444123
07-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Gah, my library (over here in Australia) only loans out books, lets you use the computers (for the internet mainly), loans out some old DVDs but no games.

DanTheManGum
07-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Wow. I'm amazed by this. I haven't been to a library in years as I usually borrow books I wanna read but with this news I may have to take a quick trip to see.

SubG3nius
07-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Man I just saw that my local library had Alan Wake and Blur for example for rent, time to get a card and go rent some games :D

Never would have thought of that if I hadn't read this thread.

BemusedBox
07-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I have a few local libraries that rent out games it was a while ago that i used one but i think it was a couple of pounds for a week.

DigitalTru7h
07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Damn, I just checked my Libary's website, they have Hannah the movie (the game), Up, Bolt, Backyard football 10, cars, and a few others on the easy 1000's list. I know where I'm going today! :D

derek pipes
07-17-2010, 03:49 PM
The library in my city only rents out movies. I would imagine if they did cary games they would be snatched up in a minute though.

irJessica
07-17-2010, 03:52 PM
I can't see the UK being that nice but I'm gonna have to have a look next time I'm down there

Edit: They are, but not in my area :(

PointPlaceWI
07-17-2010, 08:42 PM
All three areas I've lived in for the past two years I've been part of the libraries. Sadly none of them have stocked video games. Even the public library that I was part of in Charlotte, NC that was beyond gigantic.

Undead Genocide
07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Haven't stopped by the library in quite a while... I may have to go check it out. As of the last time that I was there, still no games or Blu-rays. They have tons of regular dvd's, which we used to check out in stacks at a time. You can't beat the price of "free"! I will definately have to stop by to see if they've adopted games yet sometime soon.

nosebreaker
07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Wish my library was that cool. The best they have at my local library are educational computer "games".

Yannie Boy
07-18-2010, 02:36 AM
The Orange County (Orlando, FL) Libraries stopped doing it not to long ago. I used it for about 2 months then forgot about it then when I tried to use it again...they stopped doing it.

STROIDS
07-18-2010, 02:51 AM
my library does this too exept they limit the games to T and well no one want to donate to it dues to the fact that 9/10 families in my town own 1-3 game consoles

JrdRIOT
07-18-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd love to check if ours do, but i highly doubt it does, and i'd feel weird asking and getting told they don't haha.

gamerguy69
07-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I know our local library recently had a big renovation. The local access channel runs a segment about the new TEEN room that has the gaming consoles for library use.

I just checked their online inventory for games and while they do offer a decent catalog for borrowing the majority I see listed are either "missing" or "lost and paid". Some even show as "overdue and billed" from 3+ years ago. :mad:

Petturi
07-25-2010, 12:29 AM
I have loaned couple games from the main library (Turku, Finland) like Lego Rock Band, Guitar Hero 5, Paintball 2009 and lots of easy kid games. The selection is growing and there is some quality titles (Batman: AA for example). They have also PS 2, PS 3, PC and Wii games.

quickhhh
07-25-2010, 12:45 AM
My library hasn't ever upgraded from VHS yet so video game are out of the question.

iiDaRReN316x
07-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Easy G , but i wouldnt wanna be caught dead inside a libary