PDA

View Full Version : is Jerry Springer actualy catching up with the Simpsons?

NG2NATE
07-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Is jerry springer catching up with the simpsons in seasons I thought right now the simpsons stood alone as longest running show but springer has been around for the past 20 years is it true

Corrupt.
07-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Springer has been shit for about 15 years now, Simpsons is still going (sort of) strong...

wexnlex
07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Simpsons is just the longest running animated series.

Many many shows have ran for 20, 30, even 50 years.

Shinobi273
07-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Many many shows have ran for 20, 30, even 50 years.

I was wondering about those daytime soap operas, if you took someone who watched the past 3 seasons, would they recognize anyone (anyone!) from the first 2-3? It seems like it would be impossible to have a story arc that lasts more than 10 years when you have that many episodes and using only people as plot devices. It would also be hilarious to have a giant chart showing everyone's relationships.

Soaps are like the minor league of TV and movies, so many people get their start doing them.

wexnlex
07-15-2010, 05:22 PM
I didn't watch this post for a couple of days allthough, in many of them it's still the same basic characters that the shows started out with but they get replaced with different actors through the years but they are still the same character. Terribly sad I know that but eh..

Yeah I'm the master of the run-on sentence!

A Satyr
07-21-2010, 06:58 PM
List of longest running Tv shows < (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_running_United_States_television_s eries)

PointPlaceWI
07-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I was wondering about those daytime soap operas, if you took someone who watched the past 3 seasons, would they recognize anyone (anyone!) from the first 2-3? It seems like it would be impossible to have a story arc that lasts more than 10 years when you have that many episodes and using only people as plot devices. It would also be hilarious to have a giant chart showing everyone's relationships.

Soaps are like the minor league of TV and movies, so many people get their start doing them.

Yeah, it's insane how long Soaps run for. I don't see where they get the audience to run them for as long as they do.

Skepsis93
07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I think how long a show has been running is much less important than the quality and how the running time has affected that. Take The Simpsons for example, it's been running 20+ years and most would agree the quality has dropped considerably. Instead of making shows to run and make money as much as possible, producers should focus on quality of viewing and try to judge when best to finish it.

A couple of examples are Friends and Frasier. Both finished at exactly the right time. Any more and they just would have been milking it. Instead they decided to leave it at a point and with an episode that many would say satisfied their viewers and left them with pleasant memories of the show, rather than carrying on and viewers getting bored and voluntarily ceasing their viewing.

Obviously this would only apply to sitcoms/dramas and the like.

TVthePunisher
07-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Most shows should stick to a format in my opinion, either run 5 to 10 seasons, or get cancelled early on. There are many great TV series out there, like the Law and Order series...and CSI that can keep running for awhile...but eventually you will have done every story type and then another show will have to pick up that story (using different characters, seen it multiple times on Law and Order shows).

A show like Dexter, an amazing series, should not run for more than 10 seasons...as much as I'd hate to see it go, he'd have to start upping his murder-game if you wanted to keep it running for more seasons than 10. The same for most other great series, anime being the exception (Naruto and Bleach have proven that, with the episode count being 280 on Bleach right now and Naruto got split into 2 different TV series...with a third on the way as they close out Part II of the Manga) and of course Soap Operas.

There's also the WWE, while changing names for several generations it has remained for over what...50 years now? Then again the reason these last is because despite there being a "story factor", it's more of a "weekly sport" that you enjoy than a drama...which is why it has lasted so long.

I watched Days of our Lives for awhile, they showed flashbacks for a character (old man, really old) that died on the show and it was from EARLY Days of our Lives...that's how long that show has been around. But the others have existed longer and will continue existing...provided there aren't cast changes, death or people just want to move on...a little boy or girl will eventually grow up to replace the "current young adult" generation on the show.

The way I see it, Soap Operas have several generations at one time:

Children - (0-14)
Teenagers (15-20)
Young adults (21-30 or to 35 even)
Adults (30 or 35 to about 60)
Elder Adults (60-80)
Ancient Adults (80+)

And each generation, regardless if the cast changes, will have characters pop into the next generation, until the next generation, until the character finally dies somewhere in their timeline or at the end of the old life.

Anyways...some shows last for a long time, like The Simpsons...and they lose their flair. The strongest fans will always be behind it, but the newer people will love Family Guy...and the new stuff on the way. Eventually you're just pushing an old dog through a door...that is too stubborn to get out of your house. The Simpsons will be along for 25 years...30 years...until people stop liking them FINALLY and Family Guy is possibly slated to dissapear by 2012 (according to Seth, who signed on until then unless the contract is renewed).