PDA

View Full Version : Importing a NTSC (US) Console to the UK?

Seraphias
07-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm sure there must be a fair few folk who've imported one into the UK, what's the best way to go about it? I've looked on Ebay.co.uk (as older threads here have suggested) to try and avoid customs charges and perhaps pick one up on the cheap minus the HD, but all of them are either faulty or most likely UK consoles that have been mislabeled in the description.

Playasia has the new slim but I don't really need that just for one I'll be using for the odd US only release I want to pick up. Fairly hefty price as well and I don't want to pay customs charges on top of that to boot!

I may have to just bite the bullet and fork out for one, but would like to know how the rest of you who've imported went about it.

G Collector
07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Ebay.co.uk was where i picked up my ntsc j console but i got pretty lucky. I got the box, Hard drive, 2 controllers and 14 games for under 100. Just keep persevering and a pretty good deal should pop up.

Seraphias
07-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Seems to be the advice of most, I guess I'll just keep checking and hope one comes up sometime soon. Even with a fair few imports I want to try I've certainly enough on my list from this region to wait a bit.

Infection Ftw
07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Try to find some people you can trust in the US either members here or people you know in real life. I tried eBay once and the douche didn't send anything which resulted in waiting a month to get my money back.

TakahashiDemon
07-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Ebay.co.uk was where i picked up my ntsc j console but i got pretty lucky. I got the box, Hard drive, 2 controllers and 14 games for under 100. Just keep persevering and a pretty good deal should pop up.

That was lucky, most NTSC-J consoles I see are like over 200.. with no games.

G Collector
07-15-2010, 01:06 AM
That was lucky, most NTSC-J consoles I see are like over 200.. with no games.
I know i got very lucky. I didnt really get too much Japanese exclusives with it though only a few winning elevens but i wasnt complaining. It just shows theres always a bargain about so just keep looking.

Infection Ftw
07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
I know i got very lucky. I didnt really get too much Japanese exclusives with it though only a few winning elevens but i wasnt complaining. It just shows theres always a bargain about so just keep looking.

Problem is when you win it for a nice price the chance is there they won't ship anything.

Seraphias
07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Never even thought of asking folk in the US, those I know over the pond aren't gamers so the two didn't come together, probably the best bet as the cheapest I've found a new arcade retailing at an importer is about 170 with VAT and postage.

Will plug away at ebay.co.uk for a couple of weeks then and bring it up when next I'm speaking to my mates over in the states.

T FUNK 1984
07-15-2010, 11:54 AM
I've been monitoring eBay.co.uk for a few weeks now trying to pick up an NTSC console but no luck so far. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that list it as an NTSC console then when I ask is it a NTSC US or Jap I get a reply like 'I'm not in the US or Japan, I'm in the UK'. If you don't know what PAL/NTSC means then why the hell would you specify it!

spyder2g
07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Not to rain on anybody's parade but don't you guys across the pond have to get some sort of power converter too? As for importing one - if you have friends here just get 'em to go to a Walmart and pick up an arcade for about 100 us and send it to ya. They're practically giving them away over here. Oh and have them grab some designer jeans (not from walmart) while their at it and then sell said jeans over there and you'll make enough money for like a bazillion xboxs. At least thats what we hear - you guys are like crackheads for our jeans. :p

BemusedBox
07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Would love a NTSC xbox but have run into the same problems as most cost and not being able to find one on ebay from the comments i will keep looking and hope i get luckey.

ViolatorX
11-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Just dont get a refurb, when it comes to importing, Xbox's being brittle as they are a small knock can balls them up, I learnt that the had way.

You can get a slim imported now for more or less the same price as you would over here minus the 30 import charge.

Some of the games sell for good prices over here so you can slowly recoup the money spent.