PDA

View Full Version : Is netflix any good?

Tufty
07-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm thinking of getting netflix for my xbox. What's their selection of movies like?
also, is there any family guy on there?

Gamersdg
07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
They have about 10,000 movies and tv show, They have movies like Zombieland, Surrogates, Law Abiding Citizen and many more.

EliteShadowMan
07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Family guy you would have to get the DVD's from the mail. On Instant watch they have Futurama, South Park, and The Office.

The selection on movies vary, they have some good ones a lot of the times, but the majority of movies that you will find will be like 1970-1990 movies or cheap B movies.

Sidereal
07-14-2010, 02:39 PM
They have about 10,000 movies and tv show, They have movies like Zombieland, Surrogates, Law Abiding Citizen and many more.

All you need is a price quote and you'll sound just like an ad! :P

In all seriousness, when Netflix first came to the 360, the Instant Queue selection was pretty shit. It's gotten better over time, and now I'd say it's definitely worth the price.

There's a lot of things that I wish were available on IQ but aren't, but usually those are available on DVD so it's not usually that much of a problem.

Sean 94
07-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Wasn't Netflix US only ? ;)

The Brownie Bandit
07-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't bother with Netflix. I like Zune better

Sidereal
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM

I'd like Zune better if I didn't have to pay for each individual video I wanted to watch. I prefer paying one fee and being able to watch all the videos I want.

x MrsMassacre x
07-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I'd like Zune better if I didn't have to pay for each individual video I wanted to watch. I prefer paying one fee and being able to watch all the videos I want.

this. Zune makes you pay for every movie, no thanks.

Netflix has a pretty good instant queue selection, as well as movies that you can rent. I spend around $12/month to rent 1 bluray movie at a time and it's sufficient b/c I get my movies within one day of them sending them.

KeepEmRolling
07-14-2010, 03:15 PM
this. Zune makes you pay for every movie, no thanks.

Netflix has a pretty good instant queue selection, as well as movies that you can rent. I spend around $12/month to rent 1 bluray movie at a time and it's sufficient b/c I get my movies within one day of them sending them.

I've been considering Netflix as well. I see you live in Ohio, too. What's the turn around time from the day u send a movie back til you get another one?

nagal
07-14-2010, 03:18 PM
all the t.v series make up for the 10 bucks... weeds pwns

EliteShadowMan
07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
i live in minnesota and i have netflix, the day you send the movie out, the next day after they ship the next one on your list, then you get it the next day after lol pretty quick. now only if gamefly was that fast :(

Emcee Shadow
07-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I find Netflix to be worth it. Low payment a month for whatever you want to watch. I dont have it on my Xbox but, i do have the normal Netflix and the rate at which i receive movies are amazing. Usually 1 day for me

Tufty
07-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Wasn't Netflix US only ? ;)

Yes, but if you sign into an American silver account and go onto nexflix, it gives you the option to change to a gold account, then I just swap to my main profile.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to bother, it sound like they don't have a very good selection of films the I would like. Thanks anyway guys.

Sidereal
07-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm sure they have movies you'd be interested in, I've only seen three examples of movies listed here.

In any case, Netflix offers trial memberships. Sign up for a trial, and if you find that there aren't enough (or any) things of your likes, cancel before the trial and no harm done. That way you can see first-hand what they offer and see if it's for you without worrying about wasting money.

evilhomer12345
07-14-2010, 05:15 PM
yes, but only if u watch movies more than u game
it has loads of awesome animes, which i loved
plus movies new and old
and can watch on xbox :)

R Rated Love
07-14-2010, 06:06 PM
I've been considering Netflix as well. I see you live in Ohio, too. What's the turn around time from the day u send a movie back til you get another one?

If you read the post you quoted, the answer is already there ;)

I've been a Netflix subscriber for a long time, and it's certainly worth the $8 a month. There's so many GREAT movies available to stream instantly, my queue is close to capacity. I've never struggled to find something to watch. The only way instant watch sucks is if you're only interested in brand new movies (many of which these days are just shitty remakes of the old greats :p ).

Eksy
07-14-2010, 06:20 PM
I find it to be completely worth my $8 a month. The instant queue has a great library and of course you'll then be open to whatever you want on DVD. The turnaround time couldn't get any better for me, either.

Go get it!

LordDVS
07-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Netflix is more than worth the 9 bucks a month. I like how I'm able to stream movies thru my 360, PS3, Wii, laptop and PC. I'm never without a way to watch something, and I'm usually always doing just that. The only downside really is that immediately new movies are not available for streaming. But the shear amount of watchable material you'll find and add to your que will keep you more than entertained. And the turn over rate for Disc based movies is pretty fast. I drop off a movie Monday, I'm watching my next que'd movie on Wednesday. I'm curious to see what the premium version of Hulu brings, if it can provide HD quality video, and fill in the selection gaps I run into with Netflix, I can give up cable TV all together!

Sidereal
07-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm curious to see what the premium version of Hulu brings, if it can provide HD quality video, and fill in the selection gaps I run into with Netflix, I can give up cable TV all together!

http://www.hulu.com/plus

Pyrochaos
07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
By the time I end up watching a season of something, they add a new series. There are so many good shows they keep adding it's definetly worth it.

Rescue Me, Doll House, Terminator: Sarah Conner, Spartacus, Dexter, Weeds, 24, all CSI's and Law and Orders, ect. the list goes on.

xthewhiterabbit
07-14-2010, 07:22 PM
the 4.99 instant play option is OK but will wear on you within 6 months. id suggest the intant-play + 1 movie at a time. it comes in 1 day, you watch it, send it out and it comes in 2 days. you can watch 15 in-mail dvds a month plus intant play on your computer/xbox at any time for like 8 bucks a month. well worth it if you have time to watch movies.

Fishman
07-14-2010, 07:35 PM

Yeah, ok I'm going to pay like $3 or something for ONE movie rental....... NO THANKS.

Netflix rules, there "Watch Instantly" selection has gotten much better than when it first came out. The $9 a month is to cheap for what you get (don't tell them that) and their selection has kept me happy for 4 months now. I don't even have them mailed to me to much, just the streaming is what the $9 is for.

Don't get the $4.99 membership, you only get 2 hours of streaming a month, can't stream to anything but your computer, and there are a few other restrictions as well. Go with the $8.99 membership.

Flik Nightshade
07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
I've only had Netflix for a little over a month and from what I've experienced, it's at least worth the money you pay. I'm disappointed that so many of the movies I've wanted to see aren't available for instant queuing on my 360, but there is still a large selection to choose from. Also, I've found out that it's amazing for catching up on TV shows you've lost track of. [I've been using Netflix to catch up on Bones and The Office.]

Starstrukk X360A
07-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I've had Netflix for about two months and I love the hell out of it. Ever since I got it it's been all I use on my 360; I honestly rarely game as much as I used to.

It's just so amazing.

Spanish Assault
07-14-2010, 08:52 PM
You are missing out if you don't have Netflix. The best $8.95 I spend every month.

Lots of movies to watch online on your xbox or PC.

[I've been using Netflix to catch up on Bones and The Office.]

Just got hooked on Bones and now I'm on season 4...awesome show I never gave myself a chance to like it.

lethargicj
07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
When Netflix first came out for Xbox I thought it was completely useless and I'd never use it. Today I use it every single day and have started thinking about getting rid of satellite. NETFLIX RULES!

Burning Karma
07-15-2010, 01:41 AM
You should got to netflix.com to check out their full selection. Personally, it's a pretty good deal and having the Instant Queue option is amazing. Heck, I watched the season 2 premier for Dexter earlier today. :)

Sgt Scyther
07-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Netflix is one of the best features offered on Xbox Live. As far as I know there's no Family Guy up for streaming but they do have South Park, King of the Hill, The Office, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, and so many other TV shows. With over 10,000 movies you're bound to find more than enough things to watch.

Easily worth the $9 a month.

EmporerDragon
07-15-2010, 04:02 AM
I enjoy it, though I need to use the DVD part a bit more (I once had 1 DVD for over 3 months), but I bought it for the instant queue. My only wishes are that they added anime more frequently (The addition of Gurren Lagann and Robotech last week was awesome) and that the "Watch it again" subsection of the instant queue section had all the movies & shows that I had rated in it instead of a random spattering.

gamerguy69
07-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Yes, but if you sign into an American silver account and go onto nexflix, it gives you the option to change to a gold account, then I just swap to my main profile.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to bother, it sound like they don't have a very good selection of films the I would like. Thanks anyway guys.

Hmmm. . . . you're in Europe and with that swap profile "workaround" you still expect Netflix to actually work on your console? :confused: Please explain. Registration at the main Netflix site asks for mailing address, payment info, etc.

Tufty
07-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Hmmm. . . . you're in Europe and with that swap profile "workaround" you still expect Netflix to actually work on your console? :confused: Please explain. Registration at the main Netflix site asks for mailing address, payment info, etc.

Now that you think about it I don't expect it to work. I thought it might have worked due to the fact that all of the American Marketplace content works on any console, no matter what country you're in. However, this is not a service run by Microsoft, which makes me think that it won't work.

I'm not going to bother any more, it was mainly for Family Guy anyway.

LordDVS
07-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Now that you think about it I don't expect it to work. I thought it might have worked due to the fact that all of the American Marketplace content works on any console, no matter what country you're in. However, this is not a service run by Microsoft, which makes me think that it won't work.

I'm not going to bother any more, it was mainly for Family Guy anyway.

You're better off waiting for the addition of Hulu to XBL. Hulu is a free service, and it provides alot of TV shows. There will be a premium Hulu service which supposedly will offer a TON more TV shows, and movies. And since it already shows Family Guy eps, I'm sure the premium version will have the inclusion of current shows as well.

But then again, not sure how that will work outside of the US. (why can't the digital world be borderless?)

gamerguy69
07-15-2010, 10:26 AM
You're better off waiting for the addition of Hulu to XBL. Hulu is a free service, and it provides alot of TV shows. There will be a premium Hulu service which supposedly will offer a TON more TV shows, and movies. And since it already shows Family Guy eps, I'm sure the premium version will have the inclusion of current shows as well.

But then again, not sure how that will work outside of the US. (why can't the digital world be borderless?)

I think on sites like HULU and American broadcast network websites, there is region locking. It won't play streaming content such as full episodes in certain regions. I alway see comments to that affect on facebook pages of some TV shows.