PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Tips and Help

littleteacher
07-15-2010, 07:36 PM
This is my first NCAA game, so it's taking me a while to figure everything out. The football I can play, but the recruiting is complex, interesting, fun, and a lot to figure out on my own. This being an EA game, the rule book might as well be thrown away.

So I'm hoping others out there can give advice on how to do this well. Or what things mean. Or just basic help in general.

So here's some questions to get any help conversations started:

I know that ATH means athlete and that these players just haven't yet been given a position. Should I still go for them? Do I assign them a position? How do I know where I should assign them?

How does the computer figure out what your teams needs are? What should I be looking to recruit? Right now I've just focused on what the computer says I need, which seems to be the positions where I'm losing players due to graduation. I assume it's also a good idea to fill spots where I'm weak?

Does the 25 scholarships mean that I can get at MOST 25 players per season recruited? Should I try and get all 25?

Should I focus on higher rated players, players with more interest, or some of both? There's a 5 star guy in a position I need, but even after a couple phone calls I'm still "N/A" as far as his interest is concerned. Should I even go for this, or should I focus instead on a 3 or 4 star guy that at least has me in his top 8?

I've figured out that choosing to promote a topic on a phone call instead of revealing his interest in it will net you more points, but then you still don't know his interest in it. This seems like an interesting risk/reward system, and it seems smart to reveal as much as you can about the people you really want in hopes that their wants match up with your strong points. If they don't, however, should you just give up on him?

When should you offer a scholarship? Do you need to offer scholarships to those players who have you as their first choice, or will they come to your school anyway?

Should you attempt to get as many people on as possible? As in, should you always just grab any 3Star+ people who have you as their first choice, just to keep the people coming in? Or should you really spend your 10 hours every week focusing on 6 or 7 highly skilled, very needed players?

Basically, I want to make sure that I'm doing this well, and that I understand how the system works. I'm having a blast with it, but I don't want to get into the start of next year and realize that my team has dropped from a B+ to a D, and I don't have any HBs or something.

Thanks!

Chazzi27
07-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I know that ATH means athlete and that these players just haven't yet been given a position. Should I still go for them? Do I assign them a position? How do I know where I should assign them?

Typically an Athlete fits well in skill positions, however in the offseason you have an option to change players positions. Just find your ATH and the computer will tell you what their rating will be at whatever position you choose. You should recruit them if you get a chance because they are versatile and if nothing else you know you're getting a good PR / KR.

How does the computer figure out what your teams needs are? What should I be looking to recruit? Right now I've just focused on what the computer says I need, which seems to be the positions where I'm losing players due to graduation. I assume it's also a good idea to fill spots where I'm weak?

The computer will tell you a need if after the season you are likely to drop below the required amount of players (I.E. if you will have less than 4 WRs after your seniors graduate / juniors leave early) I always like to go by need as well as best available. If you have a chance to get the best QB in the recruiting class are you going to pass that up just because you have 3 sophomores who are average? No you'll sign the Blue Chipper to compete. But filling needs are important because if you are below any threshold at the end of the offseason that position will be filled by a Walk-On which is never good in this game.

Does the 25 scholarships mean that I can get at MOST 25 players per season recruited? Should I try and get all 25?

Yes, all you get are 25 scholarships. When those are done you can no longer recruit players and your team will be filled at any needs with walk-ons, because they are not scholarship players. (God imagine if this game took into consideration USC's predicament...they'd be horrible for the next 3 years) You should always try to get the most value out of your scholarships. You never want to only have one left and be trying woo both a 4 and 3 star prospect, but you signed a 2 star that was an easy get.

Should I focus on higher rated players, players with more interest, or some of both? There's a 5 star guy in a position I need, but even after a couple phone calls I'm still "N/A" as far as his interest is concerned. Should I even go for this, or should I focus instead on a 3 or 4 star guy that at least has me in his top 8?

This depends entirely on the school you are playing as. As a small school go with the best interest, and maybe put some effort into some 4* prospects from your state, and hope you can win them over. As a big time program (Texas, Bama, UF) I always just go all out for best players. Odds are there will be tons of top prospects wanted to come your way, and if not you can always pick up plenty of 4 and 3 star kids towards the end of the recruiting period.

I would help with the other questions, but they changed up the phone call stuff this year and I've never been all that good at the in-depth recruiting. But some of your questions were fairly basic and things I run into a ton when I'm letting the CPU do most of the leg work. I am in no way the best recruiter in this game but I hope this helps a bit. Coming into this series now...I can definitely see how the recruitment would be confusing. And like I said, I don't proclaim to be an expert so if I'm wrong with something correct the hell out of me so that I too learn something lol

littleteacher
07-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks!

I'm playing as Texas A&M, so not a huge school, but not a crappy one either.

So, if there's a five star player with NO interest in your school, there's really no way to earn enough points over the course of the season to convince him you're the place to be? So as TAMU I probably want to focus on 3 and 4 star recruits that fit my needs or that are place where I'm weak?

Right now I need 2 FBs. How many should I add to the list and call? Is it better to pick the 2 I really want and just spend an hour on the phone each week (assuming they're 3+ stars)? Or add 5 or 6 and talk to them all?

So offering a scholarship is different from signing the player. So the scholarship is just another tool to convince players to come to your school? Sounds like I should save them for the 4+ star players that don't have me in the top 3?

I am unfamiliar with the term "Pipeline State." And I seem to be earning pipeline points on my phone call. Anyone clue me in?

The way I filled my list was first looked at the positions I needed. I added a couple of the best players in that position, and a couple of 3+ star players with interest in my school for that position. I did that for each position I needed filled. Then I went and just added some of the best players I could find, regardless of position, that had some interest in my school, and then added some players, regardless of skill, that had a lot of interest in my school. Does that seem like a decent way to have approached it?

Thanks again!

littleteacher
07-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Also, does your team's ratings get better over time at all? After a few seasons, is the game set up so that I could take B+ TAMU and turn it into an A+ team that can go for all the 5 star guys no problem? What about your SCHOOL's ratings? Will my academics or athletic facilities ever improve?

AdiAins
07-15-2010, 08:32 PM
It is possible to sway a player to your school, it's just harder to get them to sign, as you need to make their list, then move up their list. If you need 2 FB's I would only recommend adding at most three to your list, and be sure to look at their speed, I always go for speed unless its an OL.

I also only offer scholarships to recruits that have me as their number one. That way after you've built them up enough, had them over for a good weekend of football, when you offer them the scholarship, you will more often than not either heavily bring them into your camp or sign them outright.

Your school's ratings do improve over the years, at least the football related ones do, not sure about education and campus lifestyles.

You only want to add players that will help your team. IIRC TAMU is a four star team, adding a bunch of 2* is not advisable, as you should be able to get much higher prospects. The only time I don't look at stars is when the player has outstanding speed.

littleteacher
07-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Ok, I figured out pipeline stuff.

So, with scholarships: Do you have to offer a scholarship to someone to get them on your team? If you're a first choice with a good margin should you just leave it at that and they'll come? Should you JUST use scholarships to help convince people, or is it the method by which you get players?

I needed 6 different spots filled. And my defense isn't so great. So I got a few players from each spot, as well as some 4/5 star defensive players from my pipeline state. Right now I've only got 18 of my 35 filled (and even 1 or 2 of those still have me as N/A or 8th choice or so). Is that fine, or should I really be going for as many players as I can get, offering all 25 scholarships and putting time into lots of players?

If I should go for more, who should I pick? I'm already focusing on the spots I need filled, and a few good players to fill in my weaknesses. What else should I focus on?

Thanks!

AdiAins
07-16-2010, 08:13 PM
I always completely fill my board, other people go for smaller boards to devote more time to each player. I can spend 20 minutes on most my recruits, 30 minutes on the important ones or ones that have me high up, then only 10 minutes on those recruits who don't like me, unless I really want them.

The ONLY way to get recruits is to give them a scholarship (unless of course you don't get enough recruits and you have to sign walk-ons). You could give recruits a scholarship offer in the hopes of bolstering your school's chances, but I like to save mine for the kids who have me as their number one school.

You'll want to have at least three kids for each of your needs, depending on the number of players needed. (Last year I had to fill 3 DT's spots so I had to have 6 or so DTs). The only advice I can give you with this is what I like to do. If i have a bad team (1*-3*) I don't mind getting a bunch of 2* and 3* recruits. The main determining factor for me, outside of the trench lines (where I look for strength and a good weight), is speed. I would rather have a 2* MLB with B speed then a 3* MLB with C speed.