PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Hip-Hop Producer of All Time?

Tempetz
07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Like it says in the title. There's some nice debate about the greatest rapper of all-time in its own thread, and I think this one deserves its own too. Probably not everyone here is expert enough to know what I mean with a "hip hop producer", but basically he is the guy who makes the beats. Producer lays the beat for an MC to rap on. It's that simple!

Some suggestions:
Madlib - probably the most talented producer and DJ of the moment. His beats are so far ahead of others' stuff it's almost ridiculous. Just listen to Madvillain albums or Beat Konducta series!

DJ Premier - my choice for the greatest ever. His monotone, simple loops and scratched choruses is a formula that has created so many classic beats I can't even count them. Only Gang Starr albums would be enough, but his work with Jeru, Nas, KRS etc. make him the greatest ever.

J Dilla - he would be closest to Madlib if he wasn't dead. If you ask me, hip hop hasn't faced a death case that would be this significant to genre's future. (Pac and Biggie is nothing compared to this!) Dilla was the favorote producer of you favorite producer. Donuts from 2006 is an all-time classic.

Others: RZA, Dr. Dre, Pete Rock, Blue Sky Black Death, DJ Quik, Kno... I want to hear your opinions!

mcgive
07-16-2010, 04:35 PM
I'd say Dr Dre is the greatest.

Ebonix
07-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Like it says in the title. There's some nice debate about the greatest rapper of all-time in its own thread, and I think this one deserves its own too. Probably not everyone here is expert enough to know what I mean with a "hip hop producer", but basically he is the guy who makes the beats. Producer lays the beat for an MC to rap on. It's that simple!

Some suggestions:
Madlib - probably the most talented producer and DJ of the moment. His beats are so far ahead of others' stuff it's almost ridiculous. Just listen to Madvillain albums or Beat Konducta series!

DJ Premier - my choice for the greatest ever. His monotone, simple loops and scratched choruses is a formula that has created so many classic beats I can't even count them. Only Gang Starr albums would be enough, but his work with Jeru, Nas, KRS etc. make him the greatest ever.

J Dilla - he would be closest to Madlib if he wasn't dead. If you ask me, hip hop hasn't faced a death case that would be this significant to genre's future. (Pac and Biggie is nothing compared to this!) Dilla was the favorote producer of you favorite producer. Donuts from 2006 is an all-time classic.

Others: RZA, Dr. Dre, Pete Rock, Blue Sky Black Death, DJ Quik, Kno... I want to hear your opinions!

You've probably got all of my votes in there really. Maybe throw in Andre 3000 because pretty much everything Outkast come out with is top draw.

Madlib is my favourite at the moment. I find with most producers they have a signature style, you can always tell if its a beat produced by Kanye or so on. I can think of at least 4 Madlib produced albums that all sound reasonably different and they are all really really fantastic albums.

SoleAssassin
07-19-2010, 02:42 AM
DJ Premier, RZA and Dr. Dre are legends.

Tempetz
07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Madlib is my favourite at the moment. I find with most producers they have a signature style, you can always tell if its a beat produced by Kanye or so on. I can think of at least 4 Madlib produced albums that all sound reasonably different and they are all really really fantastic albums.

The funny thing about Madlib's signature sound is that he actually has none. He has been in the game for a bit over a decade but he has kept evolving his music with every release. He does different thing with every release, and I possibly can't compare Quasimoto's "The Unseen" with, say, Guilty Simpson's "OJ Simpson". Like, he approaches every new project differently and that's really admirable. But it's true that it feels fun to be able to say "I could bet my ass that this is a Premo/Kanye beat".

How about some underappreciated names of genre? Beatsmiths like Diamond D or Cold 187um somehow don't seem to get the attention they deserve... Of course there are many more out there.

agentplatypus
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
RZA, Stoupe, Snowgoons

tomDG111
09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Dr. Dreeeeeeeeeeee :D

PainNPower
10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
lol@Dr.Dre

but, I prefer Kno. (Black Milk too)

martdude16
10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Stoupe from Jedi Mind Tricks.

Lava Tonsil
10-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I like the OP list, but a couple of outside bets i'd say are Diamond D (Listen to Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop for dope evidence) and Rza.
The only downside i'd say is they haven't been consistent over the same period Primo has.

Pieville
10-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Dr. Dre (Eminem, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, 2Pac, Nas...etc...)
Kanye West (Great Rapper as well as Producer, Kanye West is amazing)
No I.D. (He's done some great work with some of the best hip-hip artists)
Andre3000 (What can I say, He's Andre3000)
Labirinth (He produced 'Pass Out' & 'Frisky' (2 of my favorite songs))
Boi-1da (One of the best producer's out there)

Just to name a Few

XxBlueSpade2xX
10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Dr. Dre, RZA, etc.

SmoothAsEgg5
10-15-2010, 10:19 PM
i'm gonna have to go with Primo for reasons already said. i think i would maybe put dr. dre 2nd and the rest is open for debate to me

Radioactive Microbe
10-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Fucking Love Nujabes.

ThaFireman
10-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Definitely Primo. The best.

Spoony Bard
10-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Dre's easily the most prolific, but Premier is the best.

Like Just Blaze a lot too. Can't recall the last time I heard something new from him though; feels like the last few summers have been empty without hearing one of his bangers.

MC_Ricka
10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
DJ Premier is the best imo.

Eviltoastman
10-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Brian Joseph Burton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Mouse). Not just hip-hop but he's just generally a great producer who started from a hip-hop background.

Postmodernmartyr
10-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Jel and Odd Nosdam are my two favorite producers... but I won't go so far to call them the greatest, just my favorite

Eviltoastman
10-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I love Odd Nosdam.

sledge
10-27-2010, 06:33 PM
RZA and Kanye West, both have had consistent beats for quite some time now. Now can't the same about Dre though, his beats have sounded the same since the 90's, no hate they just are.

KSizzle
10-31-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm going with Rick Rubin. He has produced some true hip hop classics, not to mention countless other rock albums as well. List of Rubin produced albums:

Everything from LL Cool J to Johnny Cash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin_production_discography

He produces majority rock now but he has dished out some great hip hop albums.

The Beastie Boys License to Ill
Jay-Z's Black Album
Geto Boys
Public Enemy
Run DMC