PDA

View Full Version : Question on Data Migration to the New Xbox 360

pyromentalist
07-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Im planning on buying the new xbox 360, as i have succumbed to it's dark, shiny wi-fi charms. But I'm totally confused on how to transfer everything over. Can anyone give a detailed, step- by- step guide to transferring my gamercard, game saves and everything from my old 250gB HDD to the new, internal HDD of the new xbox. It would also be appreciated if multiple options were mentioned. Thanks :)

Nozza XBA
07-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Should all be here;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937279?sd=xbox

The new 360 has a new HDD but that doesnt change anything from this. There's a new Transfer Kit that been released with the S but from what everyone is saying, you can still use the orignal one but they advice to use the New one (of course they're gonna say that, so that you buy it and make them more money).

I got my S this morning and I got the new kit. Once i've used it I'm just gonna sell it back.. I'll make a lose but its better than nothing as I'm not gonna need it again! With this new one though I did notice it didnt come with a Disc like the orignal so thats a + sign..

Just read up on it. Google it and follow the link and look on xbox.com forums caus you'll find the answers! Its actually not that hard a thing to do and not confusing as you're making it out to be!

pyromentalist
07-16-2010, 12:32 PM
cheers :) thanks for the info :)

does the transfer cable thingy you mentioned come with the xbox, or do you have to buy it seperately?

Nozza XBA
07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
cheers :) thanks for the info :)

does the transfer cable thingy you mentioned come with the xbox, or do you have to buy it seperately?

With the S it come separately.. cost me 14.99 (which is good I think, seeing as I thought it'll be 30 like other stuff they sell!) and GAME just said I could re-sell it back to them once used but I'll only get like 5 for it which is shit but tis 5 back.

The original you should be able to order of MS for free (I think you're warrenty still has to be intact) but you may want to look on that link or aruond the site to find out. If not I'm sure yuo can get a cheap one off eBay/Game Store!

KeepEmRolling
07-16-2010, 01:15 PM
MS have started charging for the transfer cable. It used to be free, but they charge $15 for it now.

spyder2g
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Should all be here;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937279?sd=xbox

The new 360 has a new HDD but that doesnt change anything from this. There's a new Transfer Kit that been released with the S but from what everyone is saying, you can still use the orignal one but they advice to use the New one (of course they're gonna say that, so that you buy it and make them more money).

I got my S this morning and I got the new kit. Once i've used it I'm just gonna sell it back.. I'll make a lose but its better than nothing as I'm not gonna need it again! With this new one though I did notice it didnt come with a Disc like the orignal so thats a + sign..

Just read up on it. Google it and follow the link and look on xbox.com forums caus you'll find the answers! Its actually not that hard a thing to do and not confusing as you're making it out to be!

I noticed that there is now an option right in the xbox to transfer data by pressing :ybut: while in the memory. I have the old transfer kit that comes with the disc - is it the same as the new kit, you just don't need to use the disc or do I need to buy a whole new kit to go from old xbox to the s?

Nozza XBA
07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
I noticed that there is now an option right in the xbox to transfer data by pressing :ybut: while in the memory. I have the old transfer kit that comes with the disc - is it the same as the new kit, you just don't need to use the disc or do I need to buy a whole new kit to go from old xbox to the s?

I'm a little confused.. I think everyhing has been explained of what needs to be done and what you need..

I think that pressng the Y is to Clear your Cache.

Geir1983
07-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I think you can also do this with a regular USB stick. Just have to do it in a number of batches!

ViRaLuNdEaD
07-16-2010, 03:11 PM
This is what I did. I connected an 8GB USB flash drive and went into memory and choose to transfer data (Y). It comes up with a checklist of what you want to transfer and where. When I did it, everything was already checked so I just started the process and it moved it all to the flash drive. One thing to note is that this is not a copy function, it's more of a cut-n-paste function as everything will no longer be on your old hard drive. When you get your new system plug up your USB flash drive and do another transfer and you are golden. If you have too much stuff to fit on the flash drive (like DLC, etc.) then just delete it before you do the first transfer and download it again once you have your new system hooked up to LIVE. It's really simple and I didn't lose anything in the process.

jim0wheel
07-17-2010, 01:04 AM
You don't even need to use a disc to transfer stuff anymore. I simply connected the data cable to my old hard drive, then plugged it into my new Xbox's USB slot. After a few seconds, a message popped up declaring that a data migration kit had been found. It began the process after I selected what I actually wanted to move.

spyder2g
07-17-2010, 02:24 AM
I'm a little confused.. I think everyhing has been explained of what needs to be done and what you need..

I think that pressng the Y is to Clear your Cache.

Confused!?! It says that you are an expert lol :D. I was just wondering if I needed a new kit because I guess you don't need the disc anymore but it seems I'm all set using the old one and the xbox recognizes what you're doing now. I know you can clear the cache by pressing :ybut: somewhere in the memory, I just saw where you can move data to/from a usb by doing the same and thought thats how you move data between HDDs without the disc. But nope.