PDA

View Full Version : super blocker discussion

theo
07-18-2010, 07:27 AM
The advice of the guide:"All 5's, starting hand at 5, and 9/9 domino set"

I don't understand why.

## 9/9 domino set - means there are 100 stones. For a 6/6 domino set there are only 49 stones.
## starting hand at 5 - means you have to draw stones a bit earlier but you still have to draw all the blocks.
## all 5's - this gametype allows for at least 2 options to connect your blocks. The number of options can only increase up to 3, 4 or more. Playing mexican train will give you only 2 or 3 options to connect. Less options means more draws are necessary.

mistwhisper117
09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
In All 5ís if you turn the spinner off, then you will have only 2 options to connect your bones. Playing Mexican Train takes to long and yields few blocked rounds, if any, because there are so many bones to draw. Even if all the bones are drawn, someone usually can still play and finish the round. In All 5ís with a starting hand of 7, 3 opponents, and the 6/6 domino set, means that all the bones are already drawn at the beginning of the game. If you canít play a bone, you simply have to pass. If everyone has to pass then the round is blocked. The set up I used to get the achievement is as such:

All 5ís
Difficulty: Beginner
# of opponents: 3
Domino Set: 6/6
Starting Hand: 7
Winning Score: 300
Spinner: Off
Board Count: Yes

I also personally kept tally marks on a sheet of paper to keep track of how many blocked rounds I won myself so I didnít feel like it was taking forever.

theo
09-17-2010, 05:02 PM
In All 5ís if you turn the spinner off, then you will have only 2 options to connect your bones.
a starting hand of 7, 3 opponents, and the 6/6 domino set, means that all the bones are already drawn at the beginning of the game.

Finally a response to my post :-)

Yes this makes sense to me. I was not aware of the function of the spinner. Great tip there.
Also my math was a bit off:
With a 9/9 set you do not have 100 stones. Instead 10! = 55 stones
With a 6/6 set you do not have 55 stones. Instead 7! = 28 stones

Concluding: the guide shouldn't advise the 9/9 set but the 6/6 set of stones.

theo
09-21-2010, 02:19 PM
It occured to me that scoring in All 5's happens DURING a round.
Thus it is possible for a player to win the game before the current round can result in a blocked round.
Example: current score for player A is 296. Score needed to win is 300.
Player A starts the round and plays a winning stone (5/5, 4/1, 2/3, 0/5)

My preference would be to play straight dominoes. Scoring happens AFTER the round. Meaning every round being played can result in a blocked round.

My advise up to now would be to use these settings.
Gametype: Straight
Difficulty: Beginner
# of opponents: 3
Domino Set: 6/6
Starting Hand: 7
Winning Score: 300
Spinner: Off
Board Count: Yes

mistwhisper117
09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
It occured to me that scoring in All 5's happens DURING a round.
Thus it is possible for a player to win the game before the current round can result in a blocked round.
Example: current score for player A is 296. Score needed to win is 300.
Player A starts the round and plays a winning stone (5/5, 4/1, 2/3, 0/5)

My preference would be to play straight dominoes. Scoring happens AFTER the round. Meaning every round being played can result in a blocked round.

Very true. I should have realized this. I was just so used to playing All 5's that that's what I chose to play. Good advice.