PDA

View Full Version : Time Consuming Summer Game

kriscakegravy
07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
So i have a very quiet summer coming up and i want a Big game to eat up my time. i'd prefer an RPG but have played most of the good ones:-
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect 1+2
Borderlands
Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Age.
Star Ocean
Infinite Undiscovery
Fable II

Anyone got any ideas for really good time consuming story based games, Preferably not online games?

A J
07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Theres Fallout New Vegas coming out later in the year

Kairi
07-19-2010, 02:32 PM
I havent played it yet- but Star Ocean is definitely time consuming. I also thought Enchanted Arms was a good game but I don't think its very long. It also takes a while to get used to the battle system.

Hobo Sniper
07-19-2010, 02:37 PM
there is also Final Fantasy XIII which is also a long an ejoyable game..

Shelton
Tales of Vesperia?

Bleeding Star
Theres Fallout New Vegas coming out later in the year

The summer would be over then

Apparantly Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean are great RPGs for 360, relatively cheap now I would assume

Wortsenawl
07-19-2010, 02:43 PM
How many hours would you like the game to take? Are you going for acheivements too, or just a game to consume as many hours as possible, all the while entertaining you (achievement just being a bonus)...

I would by a double pack like oblivion and bioshock, it'll cost you less than a tenner (if you are in the UK) and you will get a lot of mileage out of it.

kriscakegravy
07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
I've added Star Ocean and FFXII to the list as i forgot them.
I've played bioshock and oblivion
I do want Tales Of Vesperia but last time i checked it was still stupid money.
I'm not overly bothered about achievements cos i'm awful at collectables and very rarely get 1000G on anything :(

Bleeding Star
07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Hmm Tales is pretty cheap here, or atleast it was when its in stock, haven't seen it in ages

Marvel Ult. Alliance has RPG elements in it, theres also a MUA2 as well, both provide hours of gameplay if you play for all the collectibles, costumes, sim discs etc

Resonance of Fate was pretty good too

Wortsenawl
07-19-2010, 02:51 PM
What about that Sacred game... apparently it is one hell of a long slog to get through... or something with lots of re-playability like Dead Rising... That is an awesome way to waste your life away!

Bofur26
07-19-2010, 04:47 PM
The last Remnant is a good one to play cheep on price as well now.

Typeonegativ71
07-19-2010, 04:58 PM
What about that Sacred game... apparently it is one hell of a long slog to get through... or something with lots of re-playability like Dead Rising... That is an awesome way to waste your life away!

I second the Dead Rising recommendation; there really is a lot to do with multiple playthroughs: complete the story and overtime modes, go for the Zombie Genocider achievement, wander the mall and find creative ways to kill zombies, go for some of the more interesting achievements. Plus is an RPG lite element to it as you level your character and learn new skills. I've completed 6 playthoughs so far with about 60+ hours. Not to mention a used copy with run you less than $15.

EmporerDragon
07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Tales of Vesperia for an RPG or if you want a game in general that'll keep you occupied for quite some time, try any of the Warriors games (Dynasty, Samurai, Gundam, Orochi).

Another option would be to go back and finish up the uncompleted games in your collection like The Force Unleashed or Arkham Asylum.

Opiate42
07-19-2010, 05:48 PM
I will always vote for anything pro-Mass Effect :woop:

Mattress_117
07-19-2010, 05:53 PM
How about the Orange Box, Half life is a great game, so is portal, so is Team Fortress 2, loads and loads of achievements as its 3 games, and being 3 games it will take an age to complete all 3, + TF2 is a very good online multiplayer and will have you coming back to play it more and more, think its very cheap nowadays.

TitansWar
07-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Bully: Scholarship edition.

A truly fantasticly enjoyable game, and it will be absurdly cheap now too.

Obi-Brown
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
you could perhaps get a game with really hard achievements and try to get them all.

i spent a lot of time playing dynasty warriors games, and they do have a semi-true story

nayR2012
07-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Resonance of Fate.

This is a great RPG, very unique time-based combat which requires strategy and it just keeps getting more fun as you figure it out and get better at it. Im 20 hours in, maybe 1/3 through, and the story is pretty cool. Fully customizable weapons will also keep you busy for hours. Also obtainable 1000 if you want to play the game to completion but could take 80+ hours! either way im having a blast and strongly recommend to any rpg fans.

Kramericus
07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Bully: Scholarship edition.

A truly fantasticly enjoyable game, and it will be absurdly cheap now too. I agree its an underrated gem, but I dont think its quite the length he is looking for.

Damian227
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Bit of an RPG nerd myself, but you've named all the ones I've played so far, apart from Enchanted Arms.

The diaglogue and voice acting is appauling in places and the story is a bit... I don't even know the word for it, but you can tell it's aimed at the Japanese market. Still you can get a good 40 hours from it and it's in the 5 region these days?... plus it's a 1000GS for one playthrough ;)

xRogue 5x
07-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Rumble Roses XX

600 hours of fun and enjoyment

Xylon Uxkid
07-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Your list needs more Resonance of Fate!

Lord Montymort
07-19-2010, 11:48 PM
So i have a very quiet summer coming up and i want a Big game to eat up my time. i'd prefer an RPG but have played most of the good ones:-
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect 1+2
Borderlands
Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Age.
Star Ocean
Infinite Undiscovery
Fable II

Anyone got any ideas for really good time consuming story based games, Preferably not online games?

Well I myself am planning to finish Mass Effect 1 & 2, to full Gamerscore, Dragon Age is a good long game that will eat up a lot of your time too, I would recommend any of these.

YoungWarrior111
07-20-2010, 12:29 AM
You could always get the DLC for the games you've enjoyed best, if you haven't already, or go completely outside the box and play a genre you normally wouldn't, if you can pick up a good bargain. There is loads out there, I'm sure you'll find something, but my shout, if you haven't already, is the DLC for Fallout 3.

Xbawx
07-20-2010, 02:19 AM
I'd say Tales of Vesperia also. Just picked it up myself, and it's just what I was looking for to last me the summer. You can get it for $30 in store at GameStop (it's $45 online, don't ask me why), or Amazon is also offering it for $30 as well with free shipping.

Sampson
07-20-2010, 03:41 AM
Nier is anamazing game. A sweet story.

SKIBADABOMSKI
07-20-2010, 03:45 AM
The Saboteur.

That will kill a shit load of hours. If taken slowly it could kill a few months.

xRogue 5x
07-20-2010, 03:48 AM
Just finished saboteur it is mad short for a sandbox game

Kaiyo
07-20-2010, 03:51 AM
FFXIII for me... :)
Taking time to grind alot....

Neverender
07-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Try Lost Odyssey or Last Remnant. I haven't played either myself, but whenever someone asks for RPG games, they always get recommended.

EmporerDragon
07-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Just finished saboteur it is mad short for a sandbox game

I'd hardly consider 30-40 hours short.

kriscakegravy
07-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Problem Solved Guys.
I got myself Bioshock 2 because i still think the 1st is one of the best games on the system, And i also got Magna Carta 2 because i've heard nothing but good things about it :)

_DaNnY_
07-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Your list of RPGs is missing both Tales of Vesperia and Magna Carta II.

Tales will never go down in price by the way, the gamecube one is like 60 now (went up price). Tales games always go UP in price, they are considered very collectable for some reason. Don't ask me why. Don't believe me? Do a bit of searching.. but don't waste your time hoping it goes down in price more because Tales is pretty much an exception to the rule. I don't think they usually make that many copies either.

EmporerDragon
07-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Tales will never go down in price by the way, the gamecube one is like 60 now (went up price). Tales games always go UP in price, they are considered very collectable for some reason. Don't ask me why. Don't believe me? Do a bit of searching.. but don't waste your time hoping it goes down in price more because Tales is pretty much an exception to the rule. I don't think they usually make that many copies either.

Maybe in the UK, but not here. You can get Tales of Vesperia at Amazon for 30 bucks, half of what it released for. They even had several sales on it during the last holiday season for $20.
As for Tales of Symphonia, while sealed copies have retained their value, used copies tend to hover around the $20-25 range.

dwmacfar2
07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
20 bucks for a gamecube game isn't expensive? I got it at 10 when the system was in full swing mate. Used copies of Vesperia still sell for around 30 bucks and that won't change. I own Vesperia however, and would HIGHLY recommend that to everyone on this forum. If you don't play it, that's down right stupid.

EmporerDragon
07-21-2010, 06:11 PM
20 bucks for a gamecube game isn't expensive?

No, not really, especially when you're looking at a game as good as that.

_DaNnY_
07-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Tales of Symphonia - Amazon.co.uk

2 new from 79.99
8 used from 36.99
2 collectible from 48.00

Now if you know that the pound is stronger than the dollar... that's a lot more than just 30 bucks. 30 bucks is what... 18 or something? Perhaps PAL copies are rarer, anyhow, USA is pretty much cheaper than the UK for everything. Sucks to be a brit.

Tales of Symphonia (GameCube): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

dwmacfar2
07-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Best price used on amazon in the US is still about 25 bucks. It's a great game, but that's still not cheap in my opinion. I find that a game as old as it is (no matter how good) is still expensive. Amazing game either way though.

CyberPunch83
07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
There aren't many good deep RPG's you haven't played except for Star Ocean: TLH and Lest Remnant. I would recommend Eternal Sonata though. I played it at a friend's house a while back and he had to pry the controller from me. I haven't found it in stores since then though :(