PDA

View Full Version : Just Imagine!

iTacoSauce
07-19-2010, 03:56 PM
i was thinking about it the other day...
i love getting gamerscore...the reason why i play video games.
i was thinking "what if" old systems such as
Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, ETC
offered gamerscore!

just imagine the achievements that would be available...i really dont know how to say it but you know what i mean
probably a stupid post but it had me thinking:drunk

veece16
07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Why? That's what made the old games so good. People actually played the games for fun and there wasn't multiplayer games as shitty.

Aceman417
07-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah. I have to agree. People did play the games for fun. It wouldn't be a good idea, then what about making all the games achievement compatible, and many of the old systems don't have internet so how would you update them. It would be a lot of trouble.

Still a pretty good idea though.

Muhnamana
07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
No thanks. I'm glad the older games didn't have achievements in them. Game were for the most part enjoyable to play, not that games today aren't enjoyable though. Achievements and trophies have changed the way we look at video games, probably for the worst.

ghostbusters16
07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't think that would be a good idea. The old games on the NES and SuperNintendo were made to be enjoyed, adding achievements would take the replay value away.

Starstrukk X360A
07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
All the older games were amazing and sold a lot without achievements; I don't see any point in doing it.

All achievements are are incentives to play a game. I don't rent or a buy a game because it has achievements, but because I actually want to play the game.

KeepEmRolling
07-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, way back in the day it would've been cool to just be able to save your high scores, lol. Achievements weren't needed though...I can remember so many times where something really different would come out, and the gaming world was transformed.

The original Zelda, Metroid and Super Mario World were some of those games for me. Playing the game was it's own reward, and achievements pale in comparison.

iSuperNova X2X
07-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Why? That's what made the old games so good. People actually played the games for fun and there wasn't multiplayer games as shitty.
Exactly what I was thinking. Achievements have taken all the fun out of gaming. As much as I love to get them, I don't think I've played a game for fun in a long time because I'm too focused on achievements.

Burning Karma
07-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Achievements have taken all the fun out of gaming. As much as I love to get them, I don't think I've played a game for fun in a long time because I'm too focused on achievements.
I feel sorry for you two. Games should be enjoyed.

TVthePunisher
07-20-2010, 01:38 AM
I've always wanted someone to start making games for the old consoles again...surely it wouldn't cost as much nowadays, would it? Of course, that would require making the systems again for resale. Oooh...>=D I likey...a NEW NES...a NEW SNES? Mainstream would be "meh", hardcore would have to stop blowing on their consoles finally =D

They could add cool features now if they wanted, I mean...maybe a menu or something. Hmm...

Xylon Uxkid
07-20-2010, 01:52 AM
I dont want to imagine!! Those days were good. Now it feels so weird playing a game w/o achievements.

Atrum Kardia
07-20-2010, 02:02 AM
A new Nintendo 64, haha that'd be pretty sick.

BemusedBox
07-20-2010, 02:13 AM

I must admit i am very achievement oriented its the first thing i look at when i play a new game but i do try to play for fun every now and then if not you could get burnt out.

iTacoSauce
07-20-2010, 02:23 AM
nice.........lol

veece16
07-20-2010, 03:45 AM
I feel sorry for you two. Games should be enjoyed.

I do enjoy games.

djswivel
07-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Having had an Atari 2600 as my first console, I've don't think this is a great idea. These days, people play solely for achievements/trophies and go on-line with the intention of ruining someone else's game.
Back in the day, the games were played with a few of you huddled round your massive 19" TV (colour if you were lucky) and multiplayer meant handing the controller round...

SubG3nius
07-20-2010, 07:53 AM
I agree with everyone else, it would blow if the games back in the days had gamerscore, really blow, like most of the people here already have said, back then you played the games for fun, not to get achievements.

StephenJ360
07-20-2010, 02:33 PM
"Back when people played games for fun"...?

If you aren't playing games for fun now, what the hell ARE you playing them for? The second I stop having fun with a game is the second I stop playing them... You guys' argument makes no sense whatsoever.

Personally, I think it might be a cool idea to have something like that on the new Nintendo 3DS they're releasing. I love achievements, and I LOVE me some old games, so yeah, I agree with the OP 100%, I think it would be a great idea to have achievements tied to older games. That's why I buy remakes of my old favorites (Shinobi, Gunstar Heroes, Doom, Earthworm Jim, etc...) So I CAN go and replay them and get achievements for them, because honestly, sometimes achievements will make you do something in a game you've never done before or never THOUGHT of doing before, that's the charm and attraction of achievements for me. I agree with ya 100%, bud :drunk

Fullbrook
07-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I've always wanted someone to start making games for the old consoles again...surely it wouldn't cost as much nowadays, would it? Of course, that would require making the systems again for resale. Oooh...>=D I likey...a NEW NES...a NEW SNES? Mainstream would be "meh", hardcore would have to stop blowing on their consoles finally =D

They could add cool features now if they wanted, I mean...maybe a menu or something. Hmm...

Interesting idea. As for having to come out with new consoles. You can pick up dual nes/snes consoles on ebay for like 40 bucks, which fixes the blowing issue, or the new connectors for cheap also.

Wortsenawl
07-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Odd... i was only thinking about this the other day... partly because of the 'do achievements ruin games' thread and partly on the topic of collectibles in games.

Collectibles have always been there and I always collected them, but now... achievement force me to get them all... and for what? 20 points?

Which made me think... why did I used to collect them? For score? Internal game score... to get my name at the top of the high score screen.

And that made me realise, games don't really have points any more... I mean score points. You complete it and move on. Older games you would beat time and again, just because you could.

slightly off topic, but related in the fact that by god, I would not want the older style games to have achievements.

Achievements have pretty much altered gaming... not always for the better.

Xterm1n8or
07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
I think games are better without achievements, gamerscore loses it's appeal after a while. I played for it for over 3 years then just moved on from it and started playing again for fun. It brings me back to the days before the 360 and gamerscore which were so much more fun.

I'm not bashing GS though, I love this site, and a lot of people go through that "must get GS" phase but eventually you move on from it, like most things.

It's much more fun nowadays when achievements spontaneously pop up occasionally, compared to when I used to know what all the achievements were and when I would get them, how boring is that?

Mikey1610
07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Christ, you couldn't even save your games back then. Trying to beat Sonic or Mario meant a really long session on your console! Achievements work now cos we are in a different era of gaming with online, they just wouldn't have worked back then and wouldn't have meant anything.

TVthePunisher
07-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Interesting idea. As for having to come out with new consoles. You can pick up dual nes/snes consoles on ebay for like 40 bucks, which fixes the blowing issue, or the new connectors for cheap also.

Very nice, but think about it...

Ever wanted a true classic Zelda experience replayed again through the NES or SNES days? Why not make a new Zelda, but based on those specifications...or if you loved an N64 series and while the graphic updates were "Yay!" for the sequels...you still liked the look and feel of that generation (I'd kill for a 3rd Zelda 64, I just loved the style it had and now it seems like Twilight and up use the Windwaker text, effects, etc...it feels a bit cartoonish in some aspects, but not all).

Megaman has taken a clue on this with their Arcade Releases, sequels in the style of the old games...<3

Coxy x360a
07-20-2010, 06:01 PM
You're right, it was a silly post :p

Sizzlebuzz
07-20-2010, 06:29 PM
I feel that I did play old games for fun more than I do now. It seems that I put in a game solely for the gamerscore these days.

SetoChaos
07-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah. I have to agree. People did play the games for fun.It wouldn't be a good idea, then what about making all the games achievement compatible, and many of the old systems don't have internet so how would you update them. It would be a lot of trouble.

Still a pretty good idea though.

What? You just contradicted yourself.

Anyway, I have thought about this a lot and there are plenty of games I look at and wish they had gamerscore. All the Final Fantasy's, Dragon Quest etc. Something I think would be impressive though is if the Achievement, Trophy, Steam Achievements etc game together to make one massive score with a leaderboard. It would be nice if Nintendo joined in too. It won't happen, but it would be great.

iTacoSauce
07-20-2010, 07:09 PM
You're right, it was a silly post :p

lol i know it was a silly post...just wanted to knnow what the community thought about it :drunk

DeekBoy
07-20-2010, 07:20 PM
All the older games were amazing and sold a lot without achievements; I don't see any point in doing it.

All achievements are are incentives to play a game. I don't rent or a buy a game because it has achievements, but because I actually want to play the game.

thats how it should be... for example everyone told me Naughty bear blew and the achieves were some what tough but i love the game just because its different. achieves are just a plush to a good game :D

ooTEXASoo
07-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I understand what your saying. Think of some of the achievements that would have been available. Like Super Mario, save the princess without dying. Collect 50 extra lives in one game. I got you. I also like to get achievements....but enjoying the game as more. I see people knocking out games (1000) 2-3 days after it came out, and I think to myself, no way did they get the feel of the game the designers intended.

ooTEXASoo
07-20-2010, 08:06 PM
lol i know it was a silly post...just wanted to knnow what the community thought about it :drunk

Not at all silly....I just think people dont get what your saying. There talking about technology this, no internet this. Its titled Imagine This. Its what the achievements would of been. Not taking the fun out of it, if it was true. Alot of your arcade games now are what has come to be achievements in old games. Again, imagine, save the princess in one life'-Super Mario Bros' :eek:, or shoot down all ducks-Duck Hunt :eek:. Its titled Imagine. I get your point. :goodpost

iTacoSauce
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Not at all silly....I just think people dont get what your saying. There talking about technology this, no internet this. Its titled Imagine This. Its what the achievements would of been. Not taking the fun out of it, if it was true. Alot of your arcade games now are what has come to be achievements in old games. Again, imagine, save the princess in one life'-Super Mario Bros' :eek:, or shoot down all ducks-Duck Hunt :eek:. Its titled Imagine. I get your point. :goodpost

Thank you for understanding....:uzi: