PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help setting up my account...

stratguy620
07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
So I tried setting up my Live account today. When I got to the section asking me to set up my Gamertag, I tried using the same name that I had been using for my profile (I've been playing offline for a year or so with that profile). It told me that the profile name already existed on my XBOX, and asked if I wanted to replace it. A friend of mine told me not to, as it would erase all my achievements and junk, so I just made up a different name.

So now I have 2 profiles on my XBOX...the old one I used offline with all my Gamer points, and the one hooked up to Live, with no kind of history on it. Is there any way to combine the two, or a way that I can use Live with the old profile? Sorry if this is confusing...like I said, I just set it up now and I'm pretty new to it...

EmporerDragon
07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
No, you do not lose all achievements when you turn an offline profile into an online one. The only thing you lose is your old name.

As for merging the two profiles, it can't be done.

stratguy620
07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Ok...well if that's the case what do I do now? Would I have to get all my achievements over again on the online profile in order for them to show on my live account?

EmporerDragon
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Ok...well if that's the case what do I do now? Would I have to get all my achievements over again on the online profile in order for them to show on my live account?

That, or turn your offline profile into a live account and use that one instead.

stratguy620
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Will they charge me again if I try to do that? Sorry, like I said, I'm new at this...:confused:

gamerguy69
07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
That, or turn your offline profile into a live account and use that one instead.

This.

Just sign in to that Profile and look for the "Join Xbox LIVE" link. There was no need to create a new profile in the first place.

Will they charge me again if I try to do that? Sorry, like I said, I'm new at this...:confused:

You purchased a subcription on the new Gamertag? :confused: You could have just opted for SILVER account for free.

Bald
07-19-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't know if they will charge you again for upgrading another profile on the same xbox if you cancel the old one. That is a good question.

EmporerDragon
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM

If you want a Gold membership, yes, you will need to repurchase it (Though if this would only be the second or third profile on your 360 you make into a live account, it should come with a month of Gold free).

gamerguy69
07-19-2010, 08:49 PM
If you want a Gold membership, yes, you will need to repurchase it (Though if this would only be the second or third profile on your 360 you make into a live account, it should come with a month of Gold free).

Also, DO NOT, DO NOT ADD PAYMENT INFORMATION when you are prompted to do so. That way the Gold account will only revert to SILVER at the end of the trial but the Gold account WILL begin even if no payment info is submitted.

Seems like MS tries to trick people into putting a CC on file for auto-renewal. Choose the option, "Add payment info later" and never do it. ;)

DigitalTru7h
07-20-2010, 12:20 AM
No, you do not lose all achievements when you turn an offline profile into an online one. The only thing you lose is your old name.

As for merging the two profiles, it can't be done. Actually if you have to change the name you do lose all your points. That's why you change it for free before you sign up to something not taken.

Burning Karma
07-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Actually if you have to change the name you do lose all your points. That's why you change it for free before you sign up to something not taken.
Unless they changed it, no you don't. When I finally connected to Live, I had to change my name. Kept all my offline earned achievements.

Corrupt.
07-20-2010, 02:00 AM
I had this issue when I first joined live, and as I didn't know what I was doing I lost about 4000 points...

iiDaRReN316x
07-20-2010, 07:52 AM
LOL That happend to me 2

Shelton
07-20-2010, 08:07 AM
I had this issue when I first joined live, and as I didn't know what I was doing I lost about 4000 points...

I had about the same amount of points. Lost them, as I created a new LIVE enabled profile. 940 on Dead Rising was the one that hurt the most, but I've since got the 1000 on this tag.